Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

I ask for unsalted fries exclusively and unrepentantly. When I'm ordering french fries, I'd prefer to receive french fries with some salt, instead of the standard Pile Of Salt with some french fries.

It's fine if you legitimately want fries with less/no salt. Dumbfucks just do that so they can get fresh fries and handing someone an order of no-salt fries only to see them go dump a mountain of salt on it is a harrowing experience and a huge "gently caress you" to the guy you made go out of his way for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This one seems cool at first, and then dangerous. The cable that goes in the walls isn't really meant to move around in a drawer.

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
nah just electrify the rails

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Can someone make a site that edits all the lifehack pictures and replaces all the dialogue with HURRDURR whule keeping the rest of the picture? Seems like it'd be a perfect fit.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Jombo posted:

nah just electrify the rails

possibly the first genuine life hack to be seen in the wild

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

I know this is a few days old, but gently caress everyone needs to watch this. I'm out of goddamn breath and crying at this I'm laughing so hard.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

pulp rag posted:

I know this is a few days old, but gently caress everyone needs to watch this. I'm out of goddamn breath and crying at this I'm laughing so hard.

Yeah, if people don't know/think they see it coming from a mile away, there's a pretty great surprise later in the video.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
I get diet coke when I have McDonalds/KFC/BK, even if I go for a super duper fatboy special sized meal. I'm under no illusions as to the unhealthiness of the food (and tend to only eat it when drunk or hungover), but would rather avoid the additional 200cal of sugar on top of that.

not fat

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ewan posted:

I get diet coke when I have McDonalds/KFC/BK, even if I go for a super duper fatboy special sized meal. I'm under no illusions as to the unhealthiness of the food (and tend to only eat it when drunk or hungover), but would rather avoid the additional 200cal of sugar on top of that.

not fat

Yeah, I get that there may be a legitimate reason for getting a diet drink even with a huge meal, but it's kind of become iconic of American lethargy and oblivious-ness.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

I still can't stop watching Sandra Lee videos. She totally deserves to be in this thread for her lifehacking baking by not doing any baking at all and decorating every cake like she's a stoner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW8W48KZ3J0

e: should've noticed how short this one is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDwHobHErLo

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Viz Magazine posted:

EMPLOYERS: Avoid hiring unlucky people by immediately tossing half the CVs into the bin.

Genius.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

razorrozar posted:

Yeah, I get that there may be a legitimate reason for getting a diet drink even with a huge meal, but it's kind of become iconic of American lethargy and oblivious-ness.
I genuinely prefer the diet/light version most of the time. :v:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I don't get why people think its hilarious to get a diet coke with your mc donalds meal. A super sized regular coke is 410 more calories. That's a lot of calories and getting a diet coke instead is a major impact on the amount of calories for that meal. Its as many calories as a medium french fry.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Alterian posted:

I don't get why people think its hilarious to get a diet coke with your mc donalds meal. A super sized regular coke is 410 more calories. That's a lot of calories and getting a diet coke instead is a major impact on the amount of calories for that meal. Its as many calories as a medium french fry.

It's kind of an "in for a penny, in for a pound" thing. If you're already eating terrible food it seems like there's not much point to trying to cut calories on the drink.

It's pretty stupid, but as I said earlier it's iconic at this point.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I drink diet sodas exclusively because that's the only kind my mom let us have growing up, so now the regular kinds all taste sticky and gross to me. Less sugar/fewer calories is just a bonus. I do feel weird ordering it with a fast-food meal because like you said, it's the iconic "LOL what a maroon, thinks they're being healthy!" joke.

But gently caress 'em, regular Coke is nasty and I'll only drink it if there is not a single alternative. :colbert:

As far as life hacks, I was happy to see that the bread I buy (or the store I buy it from, not sure how that works) has just started printing the days it was made on the bread tags, so now all those people who forwarded the "Check what color your bread tag is, and compare it to this totally accurate chart to find out what day it was made! Learn the Secrets of the Tag and buy only the freshest bread!" macros have taught themselves a useless skill.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

razorrozar posted:

It's kind of an "in for a penny, in for a pound" thing.

Or 300 pounds.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Parasol Prophet posted:

I drink diet sodas exclusively because that's the only kind my mom let us have growing up, so now the regular kinds all taste sticky and gross to me. Less sugar/fewer calories is just a bonus. I do feel weird ordering it with a fast-food meal because like you said, it's the iconic "LOL what a maroon, thinks they're being healthy!" joke.

But gently caress 'em, regular Coke is nasty and I'll only drink it if there is not a single alternative. :colbert:

As far as life hacks, I was happy to see that the bread I buy (or the store I buy it from, not sure how that works) has just started printing the days it was made on the bread tags, so now all those people who forwarded the "Check what color your bread tag is, and compare it to this totally accurate chart to find out what day it was made! Learn the Secrets of the Tag and buy only the freshest bread!" macros have taught themselves a useless skill.
Bread in the UK normally has a "best before" date on it (which will be X number of days after it was baked), so I just buy the one with the "best before" furthest in the future. Or, most shops here put the ones with a "best before" in the next 1 or 2 days in the reduced section, so you can get a loaf of bread for like 20% of the normal price.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Angela Christine posted:

This one seems cool at first, and then dangerous. The cable that goes in the walls isn't really meant to move around in a drawer.

Now the knives and forks can stick themselves in the outlet, without the aid of a human child.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Rad Tad posted:

e: should've noticed how short this one is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDwHobHErLo

Haha jesus the kid looks shellshocked for a moment there.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rad Tad posted:

I still can't stop watching Sandra Lee videos. She totally deserves to be in this thread for her lifehacking baking by not doing any baking at all and decorating every cake like she's a stoner.

I always have to post these whenever Sandra Lee comes up, so here's what happens when you actually make some of her recipes.

It's all fun and games, though, until you go to her wikipedia page and realize that she's an alcoholic because of a legitimately messed up childhood. She had deadbeat parents, and she had to take on the responsibility of raising her four younger siblings when she was 11.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Anyone talking poo poo about Sandra Lee needs to watch this video and promptly shut the gently caress up.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Nope, not before this: Sandra Lee learns why alcohol, dairy products, and acid rarely mix. Heavy Cream instantly curdled by vodka and lemonade.

But nothing can really top the clip in the post above.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Nope, not before this: Sandra Lee learns why alcohol, dairy products, and acid rarely mix. Heavy Cream instantly curdled by vodka and lemonade.

But nothing can really top the clip in the post above.

Add some eggwhite and you got some kickass mayo.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

im pooping! posted:

Anyone talking poo poo about Sandra Lee needs to watch this video and promptly shut the gently caress up.

That actually... Doesn't look too bad! I'd use sweetened cocoa though since straight cocoa is bitter. Honestly she's a train wreck that knows she's a train wreck and therefore I kind of like her and would get drunk with her.
I'd bring the snacks though.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

To bring this derail I started back on the tracks, I think she actually has pretty great advice.

Want to bake a cake? You know they sell that poo poo at the grocery store right? Oh yeah, thanks Sandra!

Time saved and you can't gently caress it up.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rad Tad posted:

To bring this derail I started back on the tracks, I think she actually has pretty great advice.

Want to bake a cake? You know they sell that poo poo at the grocery store right? Oh yeah, thanks Sandra!

Time saved and you can't gently caress it up.

The trick is that you buy the box mix because it's all basically the same thing, but you make your own frosting because the canned kind is terrible.

A lot of people do it the other way around, in my experience.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
God bless Sandra Lee, she's a nice lady, but holy wow.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Wanamingo posted:

The trick is that you buy the box mix because it's all basically the same thing, but you make your own frosting because the canned kind is terrible.

A lot of people do it the other way around, in my experience.

That's true about the frosting. My mom's an amazing baker, could whip up an awesome moist cake.. and then drown it in Betty Crocker sugar fluff.

The only "life hack" that I've bothered to use is "use an egg (or eggs) in your boxed cake mix and it tastes drat near homemade" for the ones that just want water and oil. So considering the cake is the easy part, I'll at least try to whip up some homemade frosting that isn't completely awful. It's also really easy to flavour a basic frosting batch to almost anything you want.

I think I've even seen a BC product where you buy an unflavoured can and a little box of whatever flavour and some food colouring for it, and you mix it yourself. That's half of the work to make it yourself anyway.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

God bless Sandra Lee, she's a nice lady, but holy wow.

Sandy lifehack: meatloaf but no meat? vomit in the oven.

e: bonus lifehack: name your children after your favourite bands so you don't forget.

Rad Tad has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Jul 13, 2014

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

razorrozar posted:

It's fine if you legitimately want fries with less/no salt. Dumbfucks just do that so they can get fresh fries and handing someone an order of no-salt fries only to see them go dump a mountain of salt on it is a harrowing experience and a huge "gently caress you" to the guy you made go out of his way for you.

Ok, I have to ask, is salt automatically added to fries? Here in Belgium, McDonalds and other fast food chains stopped putting salt on their fries several years ago. Instead, customers grab a small packet of salt to sprinkle.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Fragrag posted:

Ok, I have to ask, is salt automatically added to fries? Here in Belgium, McDonalds and other fast food chains stopped putting salt on their fries several years ago. Instead, customers grab a small packet of salt to sprinkle.

It's applied as the fries come out of the oil (so it sticks better) in the US. With a giant salt shaker. It comes out in visible levels, it's an ungodly amount of salt.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Seriously. I never get fries at McDick's for that reason. I wanted some a few weeks back (because I thought nuggets wouldn't be filling enough) and I asked for them to downsize them from the medium that usually comes in the combo to a small. Nope, can't do that. So I got the medium. Barely made it through half of it before my lips were dried out. I have no idea how anyone can eat a large or extra-large without their tongue shrivelling.

e: obviously there's just as much sodium in their burgers and nuggets and whatever. It's just not as... I dunno, offensive. I don't avoid the fries for health reasons; if that was the case I wouldn't eat fast-food at all.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Toriori posted:

You joke but today I read an account from a woman who had an ectopic pregnancy and needed emergency surgery in Madagascar, and her friend took a picture of the nasty room where they were just washing the latex gloves for reuse. The whole story was just horrifying. But uh, life hack there I guess!

I'm going to guess this is the result of crushing poverty where they're left with the choice of reusing gloves or not using them at all, not some "African hospital saves money using this one weird trick! Medical supply companies hate them!" retarded lifehack.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Geoj posted:

I'm going to guess this is the result of crushing poverty where they're left with the choice of reusing gloves or not using them at all, not some "African hospital saves money using this one weird trick! Medical supply companies hate them!" retarded lifehack.

I guess you could say their lives are hacked in a much more depressing way. :smith:

But gently caress that poo poo! I'm gonna life hack this $0.99 ramen with my $150 coffee maker!

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

As a ponytail wearer, I say this is just stupid, and a child who can't put their hair in a ponytail on their own should probably have their IQ tested.

OH COME ON

Alcoholic lifehacks! Alcohacks?

Just poo poo

https://twitter.com/Pippatips

quote:

#PippaTip: if you're shopping on a budget, try purchasing things that cost less to buy

Some of the DIY projects out there are just moronic, too.

Put some twine in a vase!

You can use empty tin cans to hold things!

No.

Also no.

Noooooooooo.

It's sort of depressing, I like sewing and crafts but a lot of this stuff is just about how little effort you can put into making it and it shows.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Say what you will I'd have a good time forcefully ripping every button the gently caress off those pants.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

trickybiscuits posted:

As a ponytail wearer, I say this is just stupid, and a child who can't put their hair in a ponytail on their own should probably have their IQ tested.

Every time I watch this, it seems like the kid's head snaps forward more and more violently.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

trickybiscuits posted:

It's sort of depressing, I like sewing and crafts but a lot of this stuff is just about how little effort you can put into making it and it shows.

Oh just admit it, you hate whimsy.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Every time I watch this, it seems like the kid's head snaps forward more and more violently.

Not saying it's a good idea but it doesn't seem to bother her too much :shrug: