Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

HapiMerchant posted:

So, sorry if I'm reading the OP and other later posts wrong, but as i understand it, F2Ps and preferreds get Y exp per kill, and Y exp per quest. Subs permanently get 2Y exp per kill (and also possibly 2Y exp per quest?) andsubs can get rested xp to make a total of 4Y exp per kill while rested.

Is that how it is? Subs are permanently getting what would be considered rested AND can get actual rested on top of that?

Incorrect!

Not quite accurate numbers, but basically how it goes is.

F2P gets -25% exp. This means they need to do multiple flashpoints/all heroics to stay on level.

Preferred gets base exp. This is launch exp. As such, they can skip most flashpoints/heroics to stay on level, but still need to do a few of them per level range.

Subs get +25% exp. This is basically launch rested. They also get rested on top of that. Subs can basically skip a good third of the quests per planet, as well as flashpoints/heroics and still be on level.

Once you have a character to 50-55ish, you can make enough through dailies/weeklies to keep any future characters stocked up on exp boosters. You can also buy passes for raids/pvp if you want to stick around and do that.

The general goonsensus is get a sub/the expansion, then play through to 55. Once there, you'll have enough money to finance all future alts/ingame play entirely off of endgame credits, so you can drop the sub. If you are super cheap though, just buy the expansion to get Preferred, then level to 55 slightly slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rookersh posted:

If you are super cheap though, just buy the expansion to get Preferred, then level to 55 slightly slower.

It's cheaper to pay for one month of subscription. You get the expansion for free, plus you'll have sub benefits for that month.

Also, thanks to everyone who showed up last night. I hadn't healed anything since I leveled my Republic characters, which has been a while now. Fights like Draxus just take a lot of practice and experience with seeing what actually happens before things click. Keep showing up, and we'll keep running stuff. That's the only way to get the gear and practice you'll need.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 11, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

It's cheaper to pay for one month of subscription. You get the expansion for free, plus you'll have sub benefits for that month.

Oh really? Back when I did it, you had to buy the expansion along with the sub. So you could either buy the expansion for $20, or sub + expansion for $25.

Guess they changed it, in which case yeah just sub.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Rookersh posted:

Incorrect!

Not quite accurate numbers, but basically how it goes is.

F2P gets -25% exp. This means they need to do multiple flashpoints/all heroics to stay on level.

Preferred gets base exp. This is launch exp. As such, they can skip most flashpoints/heroics to stay on level, but still need to do a few of them per level range.

Subs get +25% exp. This is basically launch rested. They also get rested on top of that. Subs can basically skip a good third of the quests per planet, as well as flashpoints/heroics and still be on level.
On my Commando I got to around level 22 F2P, and then got to 50 preferred, only ever did the heroics on Ord Mantell, and never did a single flashpoint and I still managed to stay 1 to 2 levels ahead of the quest curve.

E: Oh, I forgot to mention I did a snigle 1-hour XP boost and a single 3-hour XP boost, but you get a bunch of those for free for completing quest lines anyway. If you actually bother to use them you probably won't have trouble at all because I got about 20 1-hours and maybe like 5 3-hours just sitting in my bank being useless now that I'm level 55.

Tezzeract posted:

Do you enjoy the game? The whole F2P/sub thing is a moot point until you figure that out. The best value if you do enjoy it is to sub for a month because you get the expansion pack permanently with that deal.
Do you get to keep anything else? I paid for a single month for the expansion and was curious to know what would happen if I had purples equipped when my sub lapsed. I assume I should take this opportunity to get inventory and bank expansions with credits while I still can right?

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 11, 2014

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Medullah posted:

It's not quite double, I think it's more like Y + 25% for being a sub, and yeah the double rested XP for kills (But the vast majority of your XP will come from quests and objectives).

I think the general consensus if you're looking to play is to sub for at least one month, play through and get a character to 55 so they can do dailies to buy QOL items like XP boosts and artifact unlocks for any F2P characters later on down the road.

wait, subs get bonus xp on quests too? drat. my friend is giving me his old sub card code he never ended up using so i'll have a month at least. sounds pretty neat.

EDIT: I think if you have purples equipped you get to keep THOSE purples but you cant equip any more. my old 50 from launch has "access given previously by subscription on his purples

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Are strongholds available permanently to those who were subbed by deadline? I'd hate to have to drop another 2-month deal just to enter my Las Vegas Nar Shaddaa penthouse to check it out, and can't be bothered to dig through released information for one specific question.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
It doesn't seem to be mentioned specifically anywhere in the notes, but I would assume that even if you were technically subbed by the deadline, if it lapses during the Subscriber Early Access period, you're out until you re-sub or until Preferred Access starts.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

Medullah posted:

Nah that fight is the worst. So much going on, interrupt you HAVE to hit, and we were cursed with a first time healer (who did a pretty good job of trying!) and a healer who hates healing, so we were doomed from the start. :D

In retrospect, I should have healed and had Oedzi tank (which he also hates but hates less than healing)...but oh well, happens.

I was the first time healer (re-specc'd from my DPS Sorc), and I managed to keep my half of the raid alive.... :colbert:
I just kept forgetting to look at my own status and cleanse the DoTs off myself and keep my own health up, thus causing the wipes... :smithicide:

Nipponophile posted:

Also, thanks to everyone who showed up last night. I hadn't healed anything since I leveled my Republic characters, which has been a while now. Fights like Draxus just take a lot of practice and experience with seeing what actually happens before things click. Keep showing up, and we'll keep running stuff. That's the only way to get the gear and practice you'll need.

I don't know about anyone else, but I had fun regardless of the wipes. I haven't done end-game raids since vanilla WoW (yay for 40-man Molten Core) and after last night, I'm hooked again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crindee posted:

It doesn't seem to be mentioned specifically anywhere in the notes, but I would assume that even if you were technically subbed by the deadline, if it lapses during the Subscriber Early Access period, you're out until you re-sub or until Preferred Access starts.

We have until July 15th if I am reading the info right; http://www.swtor.com/galactic-strongholds

I'm more looking forward to the Guild Flagship. Gonna spend all of my time there.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Just made 200k in tips extricating people up to the cartel sniper.

Do good deeds! You'll get paid!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

I said come in! posted:

We have until July 15th if I am reading the info right; http://www.swtor.com/galactic-strongholds

I'm more looking forward to the Guild Flagship. Gonna spend all of my time there.
I think what Crindee was asking (and what I would like to know too) is that if your sub lapses after July 15th but before it's out for everyone what happens? For example my sub expires in 24 days on August 4th, so do I still get my free housing stuff or am I poo poo outta luck?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Insert name here posted:

I think what Crindee was asking (and what I would like to know too) is that if your sub lapses after July 15th but before it's out for everyone what happens? For example my sub expires in 24 days on August 4th, so do I still get my free housing stuff or am I poo poo outta luck?

From everything I've read, what happens is that you have the appropriate items unlocked for your account if you were a subscriber on/before the given dates, full stop. Now, you won't be able to access them as soon as current subscribers since there's a tiered entry of Sub->Preferred->F2P to actually get in to Strongholds.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Having a central guild hub seems pretty excellent. Wonder what kind of services it's going to have?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

OzCavalier posted:

I was the first time healer (re-specc'd from my DPS Sorc), and I managed to keep my half of the raid alive.... :colbert:
I just kept forgetting to look at my own status and cleanse the DoTs off myself and keep my own health up, thus causing the wipes... :smithicide:

I don't know about anyone else, but I had fun regardless of the wipes. I haven't done end-game raids since vanilla WoW (yay for 40-man Molten Core) and after last night, I'm hooked again.

I'm pretty sure that in that second boss fight you can't cleanse the DoT that the corrupters cast, hence why it's imperative that the DPS and tanks interrupt it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How come knock backs sometimes don't do their intended effect? Like Sorcerer has Overload, it'll do its damage but not push the player back.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I said come in! posted:

How come knock backs sometimes don't do their intended effect? Like Sorcerer has Overload, it'll do its damage but not push the player back.

Some enemies have resistance to knockback--mostly boss-level or Champion enemies. I think the buff is called Boss Immunity, actually.

If you're talking PvP, I think most classes have moves that allow them to resist the knockback effects of other moves. Snipers have Entrench, Mercs get Hydraulic Override, etc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

Some enemies have resistance to knockback--mostly boss-level or Champion enemies. I think the buff is called Boss Immunity, actually.

If you're talking PvP, I think most classes have moves that allow them to resist the knockback effects of other moves. Snipers have Entrench, Mercs get Hydraulic Override, etc.

Yeah, PvP. A lot of players must just know to spam their anti-knockback abilities.

It would be hilarious if you could knock back raid bosses. The Ranchor boss would go very quickly. :D

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

I said come in! posted:

There's also the Resolve system that allows a player to become temporarily immune to controlling effects. Every time you get stunned your Resolve meter fills up. When it is full you get a few seconds of immunity to stuns, slows, pushes, etc.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Xyretire posted:

There's also the Resolve system that allows a player to become temporarily immune to controlling effects. Every time you get stunned your Resolve meter fills up. When it is full you get a few seconds of immunity to stuns, slows, pushes, etc.

Specifically Resolve is on a 1000 point system. Hard stuns generate 200 Resolve per second, mezzes 100 Resolve per second and knockbacks/pulls a flat 400 Resolve.

You get full Resolve credit for a hard stun or mezz even if the duration is shortened (i.e. cc break or damage during a mezz) and kb/pulls still give 400 Resolve even if they are resisted (i.e. trying to pull a Vanguard with Hold the Line active.) This is why doing stuff like trying to CC an immune Vengeance Jugg is extra dumb...not only did you waste your stun but you gave the Jugg free Resolve.

If a CC pushes you over the 1000 mark it gets +50% Resolve added to it.

Resolve drains at 25 Resolve per second below 1000 (i.e. not immune) and 100 per second over 1000 (i.e. immune to CC). A full Resolve bar will mean between 10 and 16 seconds of CC immunity which in practical terms will always be around 12 seconds. It is my opinion that Resolve should not drain while >1000 and you are currently stunned or mezzed.

This should tell you that if you are looking for the most bang for your immunity buck (i.e. carrying the Huttball) you should use your CC break on the stun or mezz that pushed you over 1000 Resolve. It should also tell you that there are optimal CC rotations for classes to minimize Resolve while maximizing the time a person is CC'd.

Hard stuns, mezzes, knockback, and pulls respect the Resolve system, roots and slows do not.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

so I decided to jump back in, for a couple months anyway. Where is a good place for builds?

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]
Dulfy is the go to spot

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Specifically Resolve is on a 1000 point system. Hard stuns generate 200 Resolve per second, mezzes 100 Resolve per second and knockbacks/pulls a flat 400 Resolve.

You get full Resolve credit for a hard stun or mezz even if the duration is shortened (i.e. cc break or damage during a mezz) and kb/pulls still give 400 Resolve even if they are resisted (i.e. trying to pull a Vanguard with Hold the Line active.) This is why doing stuff like trying to CC an immune Vengeance Jugg is extra dumb...not only did you waste your stun but you gave the Jugg free Resolve.

If a CC pushes you over the 1000 mark it gets +50% Resolve added to it.

Resolve drains at 25 Resolve per second below 1000 (i.e. not immune) and 100 per second over 1000 (i.e. immune to CC). A full Resolve bar will mean between 10 and 16 seconds of CC immunity which in practical terms will always be around 12 seconds. It is my opinion that Resolve should not drain while >1000 and you are currently stunned or mezzed.

This should tell you that if you are looking for the most bang for your immunity buck (i.e. carrying the Huttball) you should use your CC break on the stun or mezz that pushed you over 1000 Resolve. It should also tell you that there are optimal CC rotations for classes to minimize Resolve while maximizing the time a person is CC'd.

Hard stuns, mezzes, knockback, and pulls respect the Resolve system, roots and slows do not.

This is a lot more information than I knew previously, so thanks. I did think that when your Resolve meter is white and active that you're immune to roots and slows though. They certainly do not normally add to your Resolve but I'm pretty sure I've wasted a slow on a guy with active Resolve.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
So I caved to my inner geek and decided to get this game (F2P for now). Is there a handy newbie guide anywhere so I can get up to scratch before inflicting myself on a goon guild?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ForeverBWFC posted:

So I caved to my inner geek and decided to get this game (F2P for now). Is there a handy newbie guide anywhere so I can get up to scratch before inflicting myself on a goon guild?

The newbie guide will just say inflict yourself on the goon guild asap. You don't really need a guide for anything while you level up a character. TOR isn't confusing and will hold your hand through everything.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I said come in! posted:

The newbie guide will just say inflict yourself on the goon guild asap. You don't really need a guide for anything while you level up a character. TOR isn't confusing and will hold your hand through everything.

Though make sure you click someone's referral link to get a bit of a head start. You'll get preferred status and some quality of life items. Look back a few pages and someone will have posted a link, and if not I'm sure someone will post shortly after this post. :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Medullah posted:

Though make sure you click someone's referral link to get a bit of a head start. You'll get preferred status and some quality of life items. Look back a few pages and someone will have posted a link, and if not I'm sure someone will post shortly after this post. :)

Ooh right! Click this dudes link:

KaneTW posted:

For Omgitsbees (and anyone else):
http://www.swtor.com/r/4BgV4G

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

ForeverBWFC posted:

The game's pretty drat simple, I'm pretty new and only recently have started checking out guides for endgame gearing, where it starts to get more serious. The only things that aren't self explanatory are some of the stats with more obtuse sounding names. Surge rating is for better crits and alacrity is basically haste. Your class will use one offensive stat (Strength for warriors, Willpower for inquisitors, Cunning for agents, and Aim for bounty hunters) and Endurance. The other things you'll want will depend on what role you try to fill in groups.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 13, 2014

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Blhue posted:

The game's pretty drat simple, I'm pretty new and only recently have started checking out guides for endgame gearing, where it starts to get more serious. The only things that aren't self explanatory are some of the stats with more obtuse sounding names. Surge rating is for better crits and alacrity is basically haste.

Stats don't matter all that much while you're leveling. Just follow the basic rules of -

a) Always make sure it has your main stat on hilts/barrels/armorings/mods (Aim, Cunning, Strength, Willpower)

b) If you're a DPS or Healer, don't wear anything with +shield/+absorb/+defense unless you have no other choice (implant drops at level 25 and you don't have one)

c) If you're a tank, try to wear +shield/+absorb/+defense stuff, but realistically you won't see too much of that til level 35-40.

d) Try to at least BASICALLY understand your class and role.

Hey, congratulations, you follow those 4 steps and you're smarter than 75% of the people on the server (See the Merc healer we had in Foundry last night spec'd in Arsenal, but used Combat Support, and had 3 pieces of +Strength gear on along with a few pieces of tank gear)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't make the mistake I did when leveling up my main, take advantage of flashpoints. They are easy to do and aren't the finally balanced and tuned 5 mans of World of Warcraft. You typically just have a tank and three DPS and that's it, or even all DPS, it doesn't matter. They are just meant to be fun group content, and leveling up on them is fast.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Don't make the mistake I did when leveling up my main, take advantage of flashpoints. They are easy to do and aren't the finally balanced and tuned 5 mans of World of Warcraft. You typically just have a tank and three DPS and that's it, or even all DPS, it doesn't matter. They are just meant to be fun group content, and leveling up on them is fast.

This is true for KDY (and the level 10 version of Black Talon), but not for the standard flashpoints. Standard flashpoints do require a Tank, Healer and 2 DPS. If the tank is overgeared you'll get away with low healing on some of the earlier ones, but once you get up to Boarding Party/Foundry (or Taral V/Maelstrom Prison) you actually do half to have some team composition.

That said, I highly recommend doing flashpoints often as it's good experience, good gear, and gives you experience for later on down the road so you don't go into a raid wondering what "interrupt" means. :D

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Medullah posted:

This is true for KDY (and the level 10 version of Black Talon), but not for the standard flashpoints. Standard flashpoints do require a Tank, Healer and 2 DPS. If the tank is overgeared you'll get away with low healing on some of the earlier ones, but once you get up to Boarding Party/Foundry (or Taral V/Maelstrom Prison) you actually do half to have some team composition.

That said, I highly recommend doing flashpoints often as it's good experience, good gear, and gives you experience for later on down the road so you don't go into a raid wondering what "interrupt" means. :D

Or "threat generation".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Until level 50 when doing flashpoints on my sorc I had to use the threat drop on cool down because nobody else knew rotations at all.

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
Trying this again, last time I played was back at launch. Playing as Strotha, Sith Sorcerer, enjoying the story so far.

I said come in! posted:

Ooh right! Click this dudes link:

Also clicked this, seems to work on old accounts too :)

vvv Even subscribers can, it just extends the time by a week.

Pollyzoid fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 13, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pollyzoid posted:

Trying this again, last time I played was back at launch. Playing as Strotha, Sith Sorcerer, enjoying the story so far.

Also clicked this, seems to work on old accounts too :)

Yep, anyone can click that who isn't? a subscriber. You'll get a week for free. :)

Also I just subscribed for a month.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
I find myself coming back to this game again. Figured since I forgot to unsub after I quit last time I may as well get some use out of the time I have left. :v: Currently spewing fire and missiles everywhere as Daseer Imp-side on JC. Just started Tatooine. Could I get a guild invite whenever somebody gets a chance?

Bombogenesis fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 13, 2014

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Medullah, get back here and heal.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Any double XP weekends coming up? For some reason, I want to load my BH back up and shoot doods again.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]
Power is finally back on here (about an hour later than the original notification said it would be), but at least now we have new power lines outside the house.

Now if only they would upgrade the old phone-lines to actually allow decent ADSL2 speeds.....

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
So if F2Ps get "launch -25%" xp gain, prefs get "launch" xp gain, and subs get "launch +25%" exp gain, what's this popup i'm getting at level 20 saying i earn reduced xp if im not sub? is it just a reminder of the system, or is there a further drain at level 20?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

HapiMerchant posted:

So if F2Ps get "launch -25%" xp gain, prefs get "launch" xp gain, and subs get "launch +25%" exp gain, what's this popup i'm getting at level 20 saying i earn reduced xp if im not sub? is it just a reminder of the system, or is there a further drain at level 20?

I think you get launch exp til 20, that's all. Otherwise people would get way too frustrated too soon.

• Locked thread