Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It's really frustrating that I can't seem to get my FPS above 30ish aside from immediately after embarking. I'd say I'll wait for issues to be fixed but FPS seems like the one thing that never really improves, only stays the same or steadily declines.

How I miss you, days of constant 100 in any fort with <150 dwarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
World size seems to matter a lot for this release. I used to always go large by default just because generation was fast enough and it didn't impact speed after the world was generated. Now, though, it takes 5 minutes or more to advance the calendar when starting a new fort, even on a recent CPU (i5 4570), and my FPS started dropping below 80 before the first year was up. After dropping down to medium worlds, the calendar goes by in less than 20 seconds, and my FPS is still 100 with 45 dwarves, with the occasional dip into the 50s when combat happens. If you haven't already, try smaller worlds with shorter history simulations. Turning off temperature and stuff is also still an option.

Ludo Friend
Aug 2, 2012

When I first started playing years ago, I'd change dwarves to be faster while I got used to the fort, adding a SPEED:300 entry to make them 3x's as fast. It's not doing anything now. Any ideas how to only increase my dwarves speed while I get used to all the changes?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

There's something of a chart in raw\object\notes about gait numbers. Try using the faster ones and see what happens.

Even then, it's just the movement speed. Separating different sorts of speeds was a big thing in this release.

Ludo Friend
Aug 2, 2012

Thanks I'll go take a look!

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Does the latest Masterwork have the latest Dwarf Fortress build?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

With DFHack still very much in the works, what did you expect? No, no.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I imagine something the size of masterwork will take a while to update, and will likely wait until there's a stable version to work on before starting. Just get the most recent masterwork anyway, as far as I can tell Fortress mode isn't missing much except beautiful trees and cherry blossoms with the new version.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Holy poo poo! You no longer have to swim across rivers in adventure mode. You can just turn up your 'S'peed to sprint, get a running start (so you're moving at 3.0) dwarf units and then just 'j'ump righ the gently caress across without even getting wet!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Spanish Matlock posted:

Holy poo poo! You no longer have to swim across rivers in adventure mode. You can just turn up your 'S'peed to sprint, get a running start (so you're moving at 3.0) dwarf units and then just 'j'ump righ the gently caress across without even getting wet!

When you see an enemy at the edge of your vision, try (S)printing towards him and (j)umping directly into/onto him from a few tiles away once you have a good head of steam built up. Sends 'em flying :black101:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

SynthOrange posted:

See thread title.

Also a werechinchilla sounds adorable.

In Masterwork I once had a wereloris. Which is one of these adorable fella's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18-xvIjH8T4

Turns out their bite can be poisonous, and a werewolf version of it can literally sprint across an entire large map in about two seconds to rip apart a pack of wolves. It just kind of stood there at the edge of my fort, hanging off a cliff before calmly transforming back into a kobold and wandering off. Message received little fella. You're a badass, we get it. :stonk:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 14, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Angry Diplomat posted:

When you see an enemy at the edge of your vision, try (S)printing towards him and (j)umping directly into/onto him from a few tiles away once you have a good head of steam built up. Sends 'em flying :black101:

Modded adventures of Bronze Colossi are amazing when you do this. :allears:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

WhenInRome posted:

Has anyone gotten the "demand that a civ pay tribute to your civ" option to work? The lords just keep telling me "I will not bend the knee" no matter how many times I tell them about lords I've murdered
From a while ago, but, I managed to get it done three times.

Once with my own made up group to a bandit, although I had to do ask twice.

Second was with a bandit, I asked him, beat the poo poo out of him and cut off an arm, then asked again.

Third was with a bandit, but I was a housekarl or whatever to a powerful faction so he didnt bother saying no.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

my dad posted:

Modded adventures of Bronze Colossi are amazing when you do this. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbOnvj9wZKc

The next thing I want implemented is 3D creatures - like trees - that you can climb on, and jump around.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

Not sure if this is a new description in 0.40.x, but it's new to me: one of my dwarves is described as "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It's not, I'm afraid. In other news, ahaha look at this.

Notice anything vaguely different about the text formatting? Turns out stuff like description screens actually respond if you garnish them with colors or line breaks or any of the other tags used in the help files.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

HerrBrau posted:

Not sure if this is a new description in 0.40.x, but it's new to me: one of my dwarves is described as "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Thanks to the absurdly lavish food I always heaped on my dwarves in the last version every single dwarf in my fort became grotesquely obese, using that exact description. I'm sure that's actually the one that indicates they're as fat as possible.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

There's a different one for whether they're horribly fat and also small, thin, muscular or anything in between.

You're right, though. If the description says something about massive lardy rolls or enormous, thick layers of fat or something in as many words, you know you're as pudgy as possible.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Apparently, human town halls just aren't built like they used to!

e: The debris cloud still hasn't settled. Was the whole goddamn town built on air? :psydwarf:

scamtank fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 14, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My militia commander is suffering from mortal terror because she killed a crab. :what:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Maybe she was vegan.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Internet Kraken posted:

My militia commander is suffering from mortal terror because she killed a crab. :what:

Ain't nothing wrong with being afraid of crabs.

Safety first, folks.

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011
I'm trying to play Warlocks in Masterwork, but all the embark options don't work for some reason - none of the characters have any skills assigned. What skills should I pick for them?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_nKBeYib6M

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Playing the new version makes me realize how awesome Dwarf Therapist is when I have to play without it. Bless it's tiny electronic heart.

I made an embark and the trees are FULL of fruits. I know there is no way to use those fruits but can you imagine all the booze I can make from that?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Michaellaneous posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbOnvj9wZKc

The next thing I want implemented is 3D creatures - like trees - that you can climb on, and jump around.

Yes. This could also make wagons a load less buggy.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I noticed that fruits leave seeds (apple cores and peach pits for example) when they're eaten/brewed, so I'm hoping we'll eventually be able to plant orchards.

I'm also hoping we get underground fruit-bearing trees. Spiny Blood Melons, Creepy Squashes, Fungus Boils. Brew the blood melons into Bloody Scareys. :haw:

Speaking of underground trees, I noticed a weird bug with Tower-Caps. Despite being rather big, they only give a single piece of wood when cut down, and they leave behind floating ramps called "Unusable Downward Slope". Pretty weird.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

huhhh wall of text

aahhh carriage returns

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

Hihohe posted:

I found this sweet little video about a fort. Very :black101:

http://youtu.be/is1wSwdaM2w

This is amazing. Glad I took the time to watch this, it made me miss my Apple IIe

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

scamtank posted:

huhhh wall of text

aahhh carriage returns

Please please please tell us how

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

You should know by now that I'm riding this string patcher bronco as far as it will take me.

Here's the deal: all of those "This object is", "This is" and "On the item is" bits are separate strings. All you need to do is to add a line break token in front of each one, like so:

code:
Dwarf Fortress Legible
|It is a|[B]It is a|
|The item |[B]The item |
|On the item |[B]On the item |
|It is |[B]It is |
|The handle is made from |[B]The handle is made from |
|This object |[B]This object |
|The thread is |[B]The thread is |
|The slab reads "|[B]The slab reads "|
Save that text mess as an .lng file and let dfint.exe have its way with it to implant the changes. You can change colors, too.

You could also try putting the [B] in the slab description in front of the quotation marks instead, so the "The slab reads" comes directly after the immediate item name and the memorial starts on its own line.

e: I should probably start linking to the actual utility so people won't have to extrude the whole Masterwork package to get their hands on it:
https://bitbucket.org/dfint/df-i18n/downloads

scamtank fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 14, 2014

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

In the spirit of the recent world cup and my watching the Time Warriors' old Dark Messiah LP, I'm playing adventure mode differently today.

Specifically, I just bicycle-kicked a bunch of overhead ravens into gore. I somehow forgot just how visceral wrestling can be.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

scamtank posted:

You should know by now that I'm riding this string patcher bronco as far as it will take me.

Here's the deal: all of those "This object is", "This is" and "On the item is" bits are separate strings. All you need to do is to add a line break token in front of each one, like so:

code:
|It is a|[B]It is a|
|The item |[B]The item |
|On the item |[B]On the item |
|It is |[B]It is |
|The handle is made from |[B]The handle is made from |
|This object |[B]This object |
|The thread is |[B]The thread is |
|The slab reads "|[B]The slab reads "|
Save that text mess as an .lng file and let dfint.exe have its way with it to implant the changes. You can change colors, too.

You could also try putting the [B] in the slab description in front of the quotation marks instead, so the "The slab reads" comes directly after the immediate item name and the memorial starts on its own line.

e: I should probably start linking to the actual utility so people won't have to extrude the whole Masterwork package to get their hands on it:
https://bitbucket.org/dfint/df-i18n/downloads

How did I gently caress this up :ohdear:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A friend found this in his world.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Is it true that Toady added the possibility of non-heterosexual units with the addition of an [ORIENTATION] tag in the last update? :aaaaa:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I'm guessing you need to put the name of the "language" you're "translating to" as the first line in the text file.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

:doh:

I forgot that the very first line determines the filename. By default, it's just Dwarf Fortress Lng, put in whatever. I've revised my instruction.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Ah right, got it working. Thanks!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Is it true that Toady added the possibility of non-heterosexual units with the addition of an [ORIENTATION] tag in the last update? :aaaaa:

Apparently yep, that's exactly what it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh my god seriously? :allears: Where did you hear this?