Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Nothing like riding around the suburbs in the mid-90* weather plus some humidity on an early '80s air-cooled bike.

I've got time this weekend, even if it's poking around downtown. If it's downtown I'll bring the GS450 with the leaky exhaust that's loud as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Nothing like riding around the suburbs in the mid-90* weather plus some humidity on an early '80s air-cooled bike.

I've got time this weekend, even if it's poking around downtown. If it's downtown I'll bring the GS450 with the leaky exhaust that's loud as hell.

I'd be up for a ride if people want to go, I'm still commuting to work every day and it's hot as gently caress but I'm not dead or anything.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
A downtown ride sounds kind of awesome.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I'm not sure yet what we're doing this weekend so you can put me down for a "maybe". My exhaust does not leak but it is also loud as hell. Downtown is a long way down 75 for me, but I've been spoiled by rides starting in McKinney, I suppose.

edit--also lol at MNS's metric of summer heat tolerability being "not dead"

Alceste fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 9, 2014

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Maybe we'll find solace in the shadows of the high-rise? I'm looking at Wunderground and not incredibly confident, but I'll risk it with you guys.

I did consider putting in a rush order for http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006UGW8TE + http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TPDJEW + http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Shirt-BS-6-Bag-System/dp/B005JV8QIS .

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
There's some goons talking about http://www.sgconvention.com/ this weekend in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032538 and http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605063

I think checking out the arcade and console area might be fun, but the ticket prices are a little steep imo. I only recognize one name in the panel of speakers.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

There's some goons talking about http://www.sgconvention.com/ this weekend in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032538 and http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605063

I think checking out the arcade and console area might be fun, but the ticket prices are a little steep imo. I only recognize one name in the panel of speakers.

$60 for a weekend pass or $30 for a day pass is steep to potentially see a bunch of youtube personalities I've pretty much never heard of or don't care about. Headliner Inafune is pretty neat though. I'm also interested in seeing if Gearbox has a booth for their new game, Battleborn. Be worth the price of admission(to me anyway) if they were giving out alpha/beta invites or something but I got low hopes. Anyway, if people want to go I'd be willing to check it out and see if I get lucky, or maybe their tabletop area will have something fun.

Edit: There's also a sale/concert at Motoliberty this Saturday, 15% off any item in the store and then music 6 until whenever.

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 10, 2014

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Fun! I'm up for checking out a gaming conversion.

Also the Motoliberty events are always fun. Last time they had that coffee place with the crazy Ape .....scooter..... bus ...thing. So I'll definitely be going there as well.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I sure used to enjoy playing video games :(

I sold the Wii and I haven't bothered to get a PS or XBox since we had kids and it will probably be several more years before I can even think about having enough time for something like that. The last time I was able to play anything was Portal 2 on my now-obsolete laptop. I'd be more comfortable at an Angry Birds convention these days.

I was also just reminded that I have in-laws coming to town on Saturday, so it wouldn't be in my best interests to be gone that day unless I bring someone with me, which precludes riding the bike. I can probably still get out on Sunday, but a gaming convention isn't going to do anything for me (especially for $30 admission) so I will figure out something for myself and I hope you all have fun.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Eh, it doesn't sound like the convention is a super winner and I was only half-interested when I posted it.

I got the ninjette back together and I'll probably be riding that to help prop up our noise quota.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Most of us live/work near MotoLiberty, we could meet there for a spell, get lunch/dinner(plenty of choices along 35E or BeltLine) on Saturday and make a Sunday choice from there.

Or if folks can't get away from family/responsibility for that long or two days in a row, anyone suggest a downtown "annoy everyone" route? (of all things I miss running about downtown Chicago looking at buildings and sites, generally annoying everyone, watching fireworks over navy pier before getting gyros in greek town before hitting the roads back home at midnight or later.)

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
All I know about downtown is there's reputed to be some good Mexican food there.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I dig this plan. I need to stop by RPM as well as Motoliberty.

Has anyone else been to the Dallas Contemporary? It's the kind of art museum that wouldn't frown on us showing up in full gear. It's also not very big, can be consumed in an hour or so. I think it would be pretty fun to add to the list.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Awesome idea, sounds like bike shops then lunch, and then an attempt at culture?

I'll bring the GS450, it sounds hilarious as hell being a parallel twin with a (stock) Harley muffler for each cylinder. (original mufflers on order and inbound)

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Saturday or Sunday?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Motoliberty event is on Saturday, I believe.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Motoliberty just sent out a reminder email. Looks like the discount is only valid between 3PM and 6PM. Probs wanna adjust our schedule accordingly.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Motoliberty just sent out a reminder email. Looks like the discount is only valid between 3PM and 6PM. Probs wanna adjust our schedule accordingly.

Was going to mention that. I definitely want to get in on the discount, probably using it to pick up the leather pants that go with my jacket since otherwise those'll never see a discount. All the recent crashes around CA have me wanting to be as protected as possible.

I'm up for a ride wherever/whenever, though I think downtown traffic is likely to be interesting in 98 degree weather. My original recommendation was going to be to do a ride that starts at like 7 or 8 on Sunday and then finish with an early lunch.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
We can always do culture lunch then knuckle dragging motorcycle stuff.

As long as we don't get stuck in stand-still traffic. Air cooled heads and idling for long periods don't go together.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'd like to ride earlier in the day myself, but we will be hard pressed to kill 6 hours downtown while waiting for the good discounts at motoliberty.

EDIT: Speaking of motoliberty. I went with a coworker to help him pick out gear. I tried on some Sidi streetburners. loving badass boots. I believe I will be getting a pair.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 12, 2014

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Well I have the whole work thing on saturday until 10am. You all will know where I'm at. (Gather at "I <3 Kolache" about a block up from Alpha on Midway at 10 - 10:15?) You guys could always meet earlier and just tell me where to intercept...

Spankydoodle, this is probably going to be a low speed in town day, probably a good intro to group rides if that tickles your fancy.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'll come find you at that time, I kinda want to see if the BMW dealership will make me a decent trade for the KTM they just got in. I too have my doubts about entertainment until the sale, but I'm sure we'll figure something out.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Well I have the whole work thing on saturday until 10am. You all will know where I'm at. (Gather at "I <3 Kolache" about a block up from Alpha on Midway at 10 - 10:15?) You guys could always meet earlier and just tell me where to intercept...

Spankydoodle, this is probably going to be a low speed in town day, probably a good intro to group rides if that tickles your fancy.

I'll be there at 10 and I'll hang out for a bit, but I have to take my dad to the airport at 12:15. So I'll try to meet back up at motoliberty or something after that.

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

Hmmm this sounds cool. I think my R/R is fried, was going to confirm with a multimeter tomorrow but in the meanwhile I have a new Yuasa battery already and a new R/R coming from roadstercycle.com

For tomorrow I have the old battery trickle charged and I can probably throw that back in and ride up.

edit: although I dropped my truck off today at the mechanic and was supposed to pick it up tomorrow before they close at 3. Need to figure out these logistics.

Spankydoodle fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 12, 2014

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I heart colaches at 10. CHECK! See you guys there.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
leaving work now, see you all there.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

So that VFR1200 he was trying to sell me on makes 170hp. That's nuts. The real issue though is I'm trying to imagine myself getting up everyday and enjoying the fact that I have to wheel a 600 lbs monster out of my garage and then ride it 8 miles to work every morning. Even the VFR800 is 530 lbs. Need to go look at the FZ-07 and FZ-09 when they come in. Anyone have a Yamaha dealership they like?

Also I'm home now, if you guys are going to be somewhere for a while let me know, otherwise I'll head over to Motoliberty around 4-ish to try on pants/boots and snag a hotdog or something.

Edit: I found this video for the guys who invited us to the block party: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl85ISO1SFA That would have been interesting.

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 12, 2014

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I don't suppose anyone is going out on Sunday then...?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Riding more than once in a week?

:getin:

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I also wired my helmet! I kind of hosed the curtain all up before I discovered you have to remove the cheek pieces first, but I think it will be alright. Im charging the Sena back up so I can test it. I'm pretty excited.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

PadreScout posted:

I also wired my helmet! I kind of hosed the curtain all up before I discovered you have to remove the cheek pieces first, but I think it will be alright. Im charging the Sena back up so I can test it. I'm pretty excited.

I love my Sena. It does make it so I basically can't hear anyone when they talk to me on group rides but whatever, music!

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

M. Night Skymall posted:

I love my Sena. It does make it so I basically can't hear anyone when they talk to me on group rides but whatever, music!

Can you show me how you're wiring your Sena's? I've got some ugly electrical tape on there currently but I don't care as long as it works.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

M. Night Skymall posted:

Anyone have a Yamaha dealership they like?

It's a bit of a trip for you, but I like these guys:
http://www.ntxhouseofcycles.com/contact_us.asp

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

azzenco posted:

Can you show me how you're wiring your Sena's? I've got some ugly electrical tape on there currently but I don't care as long as it works.
Basically shoved the unit itself between the curtain and the shell and then tightened it down. The wire for the right speaker I used a credit card/ID/thin thing to shove up into the same area going around the back of the helmet. You can sort of see that here.

For the speakers I took out the cheek pads and removed the covers on them then dropped the speakers into the space for your ears, ran the wires out the back of the covers. The mic I stuck just below the breath guard and kind of shove the extra wire under the cheek pad. I've had that come loose once when I tugged on it real hard somehow putting on my helmet, but that's it over ~2 months of use and I just pushed it back into the gap when I stopped and it hasn't come out since.
Here's a pic of the whole bottom of the helmet:

Only thing I don't like is I'd have stuck the mic further up into the helmet, it gets a lot of wind noise, but it works.

Basically all the excess wire is trapped underneath my cheek pads so everything stays nice and tight and doesn't get caught on anything.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I went out and tried the "East Dallas Bowtie" again yesterday, but ended up having a lovely time because a lot of it is now covered in loose gravel and/or chipseal, particularly on 1377. I had a fun 30 minutes or so before I started running into that and decided to head home rather than risk going down in the middle of nowhere, alone. I can never get used to that shimmying, almost-fishtailing feeling of being on loose dirt and gravel. It was on curves and straights and sometimes there were warning signs, but not always.

On the bright side, that tech base layer stuff plus a Frogg Toggs evaporative cooling towel thingy kept me comfortable the entire time, but the towel dried out way faster than I thought it would and the crispy edges irritated my throat a bit. I'm sure it's not designed to stay damp in 60-90 mph winds though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
For mounting the sena, you can remove the piece on the bottom of the helmet that the wires are going over and stash them under it. Will prevent them from snagging and protect them a bit better.

The suomy chin skirt will also drastically cut down wind noise for anyone you're talking to.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Z3n posted:

For mounting the sena, you can remove the piece on the bottom of the helmet that the wires are going over and stash them under it. Will prevent them from snagging and protect them a bit better.

The suomy chin skirt will also drastically cut down wind noise for anyone you're talking to.

Hadn't tried to disassemble my helmet that far before. I'd take more pictures but now there's just the Sena unit with some wires immediately disappearing into the area between the shell and the curtain thing. Seems pretty solidly in place now.

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

I had my Sena mounted by the guys at BMW Motorcycles of North Dallas:

They were one of the few local dealers that I found that carried Sena. They gave me a 10% discount on the price if I had them do the install for me, came to ~$215 total where it would be $209 before tax if I bought it online.

I'd recommend these guys to anyone else in our area that is thinking of getting one. The guy that did the installation for me has done dozens before and had it down to a science. The install is very clean as you can see.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I had them do mine as well, but only because I was in a hurry and was enticed by the option of free installation. Their price, however, was not that good http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH10-11-Motorcycle-Bluetooth-Microphone/dp/B0087NB088.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Hey Kuffs, I mentioned I'd been on a "not real" track before. I used to race the other MSF instructors on the police evoc course the college I taught at had. They finall have pictures of it on google maps.

http://tinyurl.com/qxryvrq

I usually ran it counter clockwise as I got a better run at the long straightaway. It was hilarious running it on the 250cc bikes. When I did it on my bandit things could get scary fast if you missed your braking marker on the back straight. (On the 250cc MSF bikes the top speed on the back straight was only about 65, on my bandit I hit 105 and on one of the other instructor's Kawasaki concourse I hit 115) For added fun the other instructors and I would do the runs on the dirt bikes, the yellowish areas are dirt/gravel.

• Locked thread