Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

spudsbuckley posted:

Probably going back to FM as O&A at the end of this year.

I have no idea where they would. They'd have the biggest name value in New York, and I think they're at the point in their life where they wouldn't want to leave New York, but nothing in the current New York radio landscape is a fit for them. And, let's face it, despite the fact that they did some of their best stuff at FreeFM/KRock, they weren't exactly setting ratings records.

That said, I hope I'm wrong, because I think it'd actually be a good move for the show, particularly if it was in afternoon drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone have the first segment of today's show online?

NM It's in that youtube.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 14, 2014

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Wait, say what? Have Ant and Opie fallen out now too?
That would be reaching, it was clear that Opie wasn't going to make a final say one way or the other. I would bet he even had to come right out and say that he wasn't involved at all in the podcast so that SiriusXM wouldn't have a shitfit and use it as grounds to demonstrate breach of contract if these last few months don't go well. I would bet Anthony didn't involve him for the same reason.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
do people even listen to the show. All that was said was Opie can't go anywhere 'til October. He said he believed Ant wanted to do LFTC on his own but brother Joe called in and refuted that and Anthony's pretty much said the opster was welcome when his contract was up on twitter. The fact of the matter is were not going to know anything until closer to october.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tr33 posted:

do people even listen to the show. All that was said was Opie can't go anywhere 'til October. He said he believed Ant wanted to do LFTC on his own but brother Joe called in and refuted that and Anthony's pretty much said the opster was welcome when his contract was up on twitter. The fact of the matter is were not going to know anything until closer to october.

Except Opie literally said that he's not traveling to Long Island to do a podcast every morning.
And I doubt Ant's super keen on paying for a studio in New York when he already has a TV studio in his basement. Or that he gives a poo poo about doing a traditional show with guests like they did on Sirius.

I'm not saying that they'll never get back together but they seem to have drastically different ideas about how they should handle the future product.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

eightysixed posted:

Well yea, what did you expect? It's a free medium offered to a subscription based service. I still can't understand how they didnt shut Anthony down with the whole PalTalk thing.

Someone asked dude.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Look I can see Opie not doing anything at all once his contract is up, he said he doesn't need to. He also said he loves doing radio so who knows. Opie isn't even sure what's going on with the show now so I'm pretty sure he's going to just focus on this until the contract is up... in october which is what they've all been reiterating over and over again.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

spudsbuckley posted:

Opie said that SXM aren't letting them use the archived shows anymore.

Ugh, that sucks. So pretty much Ant no longer exists at SiriusXM. Oh well.

Okay, with the 'they still call you Ron & Fez' joke today...is Fez freaking out?

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Fez is just being Fez, as in not talking unless he wants to chime in on something that doesn't make much sense.

I think he's more concerned about BL taking his spot than Ron leaving for the OJ in the Morning show

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tr33 posted:

Look I can see Opie not doing anything at all once his contract is up, he said he doesn't need to. He also said he loves doing radio so who knows. Opie isn't even sure what's going on with the show now so I'm pretty sure he's going to just focus on this until the contract is up... in october which is what they've all been reiterating over and over again.
No but don't you see they hate each other and can never work together again because

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Ant ranting used to be loving hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKP7nxtvsUA

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Honestly going back to FM only as a duo is the only thing that could save the show at this point.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Except Opie literally said that he's not traveling to Long Island to do a podcast every morning.
And I doubt Ant's super keen on paying for a studio in New York when he already has a TV studio in his basement. Or that he gives a poo poo about doing a traditional show with guests like they did on Sirius.

I'm not saying that they'll never get back together but they seem to have drastically different ideas about how they should handle the future product.
I hope Anthony gives a poo poo because guests are needed badly. Not the dumb Hollywood guests but you have to bring somebody on to break up the monotony. A studio in the city would make it much easier to do that.

Tr33 posted:

I agree with your point but there's absolutely no way that Opie just goes away completely after the contract is up. He may not do radio or a podcast but he'll want to do something in entertainment.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Bubba Smith posted:

I hope Anthony gives a poo poo because guests are needed badly. Not the dumb Hollywood guests but you have to bring somebody on to break up the monotony. A studio in the city would make it much easier to do that.

I agree with your point but there's absolutely no way that Opie just goes away completely after the contract is up. He may not do radio or a podcast but he'll want to do something in entertainment.

I don't see him leaving Sirius that easily, nor Jim.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I do love that Jim and Opie just left instead of interviewing The Situations family that Roland booked for some reason.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I already said it, if the show as it is now comes around to even moderately working out content wise with Anthony gone, and Sirius are willing to resign them close to what they were making before, they will sign. Fully convinced of this, they may try to force Sirius to let Anthony rejoin but that probably won't happen, either way they can use it to bargain.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Ant should focus on parody songs and phone scams in his gritty reboot of 1996

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

T Bowl posted:

I already said it, if the show as it is now comes around to even moderately working out content wise with Anthony gone, and Sirius are willing to resign them close to what they were making before, they will sign. Fully convinced of this, they may try to force Sirius to let Anthony rejoin but that probably won't happen, either way they can use it to bargain.
It's not far from now though so I expect they may not even attempt to ask Sirius this time around because Anthony won't have been at it long enough to determine whether his own thing is a flop or not. It's about 50/50 in my mind whether Opie decides now is the time to give up or strings along one more year, but he has mentioned he's kind of sick of this poo poo multiple times. If they got around to another year and still wanted to go through with it and Anthony's thing fell apart then I might see them trying to negotiate something for him, but that's a whole lot of "if"s.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

CrashCat posted:

It's not far from now though so I expect they may not even attempt to ask Sirius this time around because Anthony won't have been at it long enough to determine whether his own thing is a flop or not. It's about 50/50 in my mind whether Opie decides now is the time to give up or strings along one more year, but he has mentioned he's kind of sick of this poo poo multiple times. If they got around to another year and still wanted to go through with it and Anthony's thing fell apart then I might see them trying to negotiate something for him, but that's a whole lot of "if"s.

It's one of the easier jobs in the world and is entertaining, and they are paid millions to do it. They will sign if it's not total poo poo and Sirius still want them. Two and a half months is a good amount of time to see where everything is heading.

Also, someone already said this, Anthony is just grasping for straws and he is going to be very disappointed in how many people are willing to pay for his new thing and will be very discouraged. The writing is all on the wall. In truth Anthony is still probably hoping they will let it blow over and let him return, just as Jim said in that video interview about it.

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

Call Me Charlie posted:

He did say that today, but he has also said numerous times that he hates living in NYC but didn't want to move due to the commute, so post-October the story could change.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BigPoot posted:

He did say that today, but he has also said numerous times that he hates living in NYC but didn't want to move due to the commute, so post-October the story could change.

And he also said numerous times that if he was going to break from Sirius, the next show would have to take place in NYC so :shrug:

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Father Opie isn't giving up his multimillion dollar income, fans.

And along the same lines, Jim Norton isn't giving up his infinite pipeline of celebrity photos.

If Opie still had a passion for radio id say he'd do whatever the most interesting thing for his career was, but let's face it, he doesn't have it anymore and the easy income is way more important him. He's on the way down, not up.

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 14, 2014

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

People don't seem to get that radio (well in fact most people that have well paying jobs) hold onto them with a death grip. Unless they are forced out or have a better offer they aren't going anywhere.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Sirius might not even offer Opie/Jim contract extensions.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

onemillionzombies posted:

Sirius might not even offer Opie/Jim contract extensions.

I don't really see that happening. The show just got about $3 million dollars cheaper and I'm sure the whiny baby cancellations didn't make much of a dent in that. I'm willing to bet it's still going to be a very profitable show.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I hope the first show of Jocktober is making fun of Anthony's show

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

And he also said numerous times that if he was going to break from Sirius, the next show would have to take place in NYC so :shrug:

I'm pretty sure he's also said that if he leaves Manhattan, he isn't going back to Long Island. Then again he's also talked about getting a summer home in the Hamptons so who the gently caress knows?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Tomahawk posted:

I don't really see that happening. The show just got about $3 million dollars cheaper and I'm sure the whiny baby cancellations didn't make much of a dent in that. I'm willing to bet it's still going to be a very profitable show.

Well using that logic couldn't Sirius save another $3 million by getting rid of Opie? If losing Anthony barely caused a dent in their subs, why would Opie leaving cause an exodus?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

spudsbuckley posted:

Opie said that SXM aren't letting them use the archived shows anymore.

If this is true then I hope everyone here is grabbing clips and shows. Won't be long before they hit YouTube.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bubba Smith posted:

Well using that logic couldn't Sirius save another $3 million by getting rid of Opie? If losing Anthony barely caused a dent in their subs, why would Opie leaving cause an exodus?

I think it's more that Sirius wants the number 2 show on the platform to continue without the liability that is Anthony Cumia instead of a full-on money saving thing.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 14, 2014

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I think it's more that Sirius wants the number 2 show on the platform to continue without the liability that is Anthony Cumia. Saving Ant's salary is just the cherry on top.

The other guy posted that Sirius might not even be interested in giving Opie and Jim an extension and the guy I quoted said he couldn't see that happening. SiriusXM can easily offer Opie and Jim a much smaller contract or don't even have to give them extensions because it doesn't matter. They'll retain the same number of subs. It will be Opie and Jim who will be interested in resigning with the company, not the other way around.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Bubba Smith posted:

The other guy posted that Sirius might not even be interested in giving Opie and Jim an extension and the guy I quoted said he couldn't see that happening. SiriusXM can easily offer Opie and Jim a much smaller contract or don't even have to give them extensions because it doesn't matter. They'll retain the same number of subs. It will be Opie and Jim who will be interested in resigning with the company, not the other way around.

I think most people are fans of the show, not any one specific person on the show. If the show, and thus channel, goes away, they'd actually see a mass exodus of show fans as opposed to the whiny vocal minority that aren't going to listen to the show because one member got fired.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

I'm sure accounting has some poor guy trying to guestimate for the executives how many subscriptions are in play here. In truth, I don't think Sirius knows what it wants to do yet and it would probably benefit fans if a shitload of them told Sirius they will leave if O&J is cancelled. The show is pretty critically damaged as far as its worth goes, both with Anthony being gone and the O&A name being defunct.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Tomahawk posted:

Most people are fans of the show, not any one specific person on the show. If the show, and thus channel, goes away, they'd actually see a mass exodus of show fans as opposed to the whiny vocal minority that aren't going to listen to the show because one member got fired.

The show and the channel are going away though, and that started last week when they renamed the channel and Opie has only had one meeting with Sirius about the future of the show. A mass exodus of "show fans" would be like 2 or 3 times whatever the meager number of upset fans that cancelled when Anthony got fired. All the other SiriusXM subscribers will stay on for all the other crap on the platform because they won't care or frankly won't even notice.

Opie started today's show talking about the meeting they had before all this Anthony nonsense happened and it was another bad meeting. Opie was once again disappointed by how little the company cared about the show. They'll either offer Opie and Jimmy lovely contracts or won't bother at all since they can put anything in that slot and it won't hurt the new "SiriusXM Talk" channel or their money that much.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

I just hope comedy hits 99 R&F ends with Fez in a studio hostage situation when he realizes he's fired or the show is cancelled.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tomahawk posted:

Father Opie isn't giving up his multimillion dollar income, fans.

And along the same lines, Jim Norton isn't giving up his infinite pipeline of celebrity photos.

If Opie still had a passion for radio id say he'd do whatever the most interesting thing for his career was, but let's face it, he doesn't have it anymore and the easy income is way more important him. He's on the way down, not up.
Jim absolutely wants the gravy train to go on but Opie says time and again, including today, that he's frustrated and wants to make changes. If they stonewall him between now and October I think it's over. And of course they will stonewall him, unless he makes it plain their cash cow is one foot out the door instead of taking his usual tactic of just yelling and hoping someone hears him.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Ronnie loving rules

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Opie has been frustrated for 20 years now. Howard Stern has been frustrated since he started. Shock jocks claiming they are frustrated with management is a staple of the format.

They say a lot of stuff in the 4 hours they need to fill air, I wouldn't hang on to too much of it as actual fact ... making you feel for their struggle is, again, part of their format to make you relate to them. "Yeah my boss sucks too, I want to listen to what these guys have to say," is something they teach in Connecticut School of Broadcasting.

Anthony has already been fired. Opie and Jim are going to hold onto this job with a death grip. There is no solidarity with Ant, there is no taking the high road ... they both dodged a bullet and are probably elated that they got off with just losing Anthony. If anything their agents are going to go in and try to get them both more money are renewal because they lost half the show. There will be shows after October 4th.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

So is being shoved in a tiny studio that's falling apart every morning part of making you feel their struggle? Or that it took them years to get a free podcast going? Or the dozens of other examples of dumb, "stuck in the mud" poo poo that they talked about over the years with the company.

It's understandable that Opie and Jim would want to stick around for the money but acting like they are secretly happy with Sirius and complaining on air is just a shtick is funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm not saying they are happy with Sirius either. Playing it up to the point where they want you to believe they would walk away from three million plus a year is where the theater of the mind comes in.

• Locked thread