Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilgarbagetruck
Jul 4, 2014

coronaball posted:

The app is utter garbage, and the projections are wildly off. Not that you should put a lot of stock in projections from Yahoo or espn either, but it was comical how bad the NFl.com projections were last year.

you mean the projections that were "powered by madden 2013"? which I assume means they just let madden run and check out the stats and the end of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Am I the only one really bullish on Ridley this year? I just got him in the 6th round and that seems rather low to me. I know there is risk involved due to his fumbling, but there's enough upside I didn't think he would last that long.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
Apparently Yahoo rolled out a new draft interface thingy. I haven't tried it yet, but reactions are not great.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Scruffy the janitor posted:

Apparently Yahoo rolled out a new draft interface thingy. I haven't tried it yet, but reactions are not great.

Piqued my interest; trying a mock draft now. If you liked the old interface, it still lets you switch to the classic look.

edit: Ugh. Took a long time to load the app for me. 1-2 minutes. Hopefully it doesn't take that long every time. Makes an annoying noise after every pick. Can't find a way to only notify you when it's your turn.

If you're browsing players, you can only see the picks in the same "smack talk" area where the general chat is. If everyone's chatting, I can't imagine it being very easy to keep track of who got picked.

I just don't think it's very intuitive. Very very busy. I'm not a fan. But you should take that with a grain of salt as I'm not much of a fan of the entire Yahoo product.

Zypher fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 12, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

keldegar posted:

Beersheets time? :)

12-team QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WRT/TE

6pt PaTD, 1pt 25 PaY, .5 PPR

6PATD? Just draft Peyton and win.

keldegar
Sep 27, 2004

what, you don't like pizza?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I traded my 1st overall pick :P

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
New BeerSheets are up. There's also a PDF link.

Also if anyone won money with these things last year, feel free to share some of that hard earned cash with my by donating it to charity!

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nay

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I want to point out that if you want a challenge, the cheating for charity draft was the hardest draft I've participated in in like five years. Try having a successful draft when everyone in the room with you believes in using the same metrics for predicting success. :v:

Also, my kicker was way better than B4BG

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Sataere posted:

I want to point out that if you want a challenge, the cheating for charity draft was the hardest draft I've participated in in like five years. Try having a successful draft when everyone in the room with you believes in using the same metrics for predicting success. :v:

I didn't use beersheets for the charity league since everyone was.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

Kicker War Best War

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

So I kept Jimmy Graham for a 2nd and Alshon Jeffery for an 8th. I have the 5th pick in my draft. Best backs available are Ball, Foster, Morris...basically a pile of slop by the time my pick is up.

I'm thinking about trading down and taking Brees. But even if I can't trade down, I'm still considering taking Brees at my pick. 6 points per TD pass. I wouldn't get a RB until round 3 but I'm honestly about to say gently caress it. I understand you're supposed to get your RB's early because there are so few of them, but this strategy leads people in my position to pass up Drew Brees for David Wilson or Mojo last year.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Ty1990 posted:

So I kept Jimmy Graham for a 2nd and Alshon Jeffery for an 8th. I have the 5th pick in my draft. Best backs available are Ball, Foster, Morris...basically a pile of slop by the time my pick is up.

I'm thinking about trading down and taking Brees. But even if I can't trade down, I'm still considering taking Brees at my pick. 6 points per TD pass. I wouldn't get a RB until round 3 but I'm honestly about to say gently caress it. I understand you're supposed to get your RB's early because there are so few of them, but this strategy leads people in my position to pass up Drew Brees for David Wilson or Mojo last year.

The double dip on Graham/Bress has the potential to be a game breaking combo for you which would make up for having not very good RBs. In opts passing, Bress is absolutely worth a 5th if he's there.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
SJax was chilling on the couches behind us in Vegas last night and he politely declined a picture with my buddy. I shall not forgive this transgression and will refuse to draft him.

wasn't gonna draft him anyway

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Are we doing mock draft analysis? I think we should do mock draft analysis.

Here's mine: I was Team 1. 12 TM 1PPR.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm not crazy about your WRs or where you took them, obviously there was a run on them early. Jeffrey in the second is just hard to swallow, and I am admittedly a spurned ex-Fitzgerald owner from last season. Torrey Smith's production is not consistent and Pitta stands a shot at being the target leader in BAL. I like Marvin Jones as depth/flex and am very dubious of Decker in a Jets offense that will struggle to throw and will lean on the run.

evilgarbagetruck
Jul 4, 2014

Suave Fedora posted:

SJax was chilling on the couches behind us in Vegas last night and he politely declined a picture with my buddy. I shall not forgive this transgression and will refuse to draft him.

wasn't gonna draft him anyway

I saw Marlon Brown tonight he was throwing autographed footballs into the stands at a minor league baseball game.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Suave Fedora posted:

I'm not crazy about your WRs or where you took them, obviously there was a run on them early. Jeffrey in the second is just hard to swallow, and I am admittedly a spurned ex-Fitzgerald owner from last season. Torrey Smith's production is not consistent and Pitta stands a shot at being the target leader in BAL. I like Marvin Jones as depth/flex and am very dubious of Decker in a Jets offense that will struggle to throw and will lean on the run.

I agree about Jeffrey and Fitzgerald, but I think Torrey Smith is an okay pickup. He did fine for me last year, but I'm afraid Steve Smith will poach some receptions this year. Anyway, I think you should probably consider a QB at your r2/r3 pick. I like Marvin Jones as a late pickup as well. He is a young guy and had 10 TDs last season (4 in 1 game!) and I see a lot of potential for him to move up the rankings this year.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Gary Kubiak loves his X receivers. I love Torrey Smith as a value pick this year; he could beat last years numbers easily and put himself on the WR1 map. He deserves way more love than he's been getting

Papes posted:

Am I the only one really bullish on Ridley this year? I just got him in the 6th round and that seems rather low to me. I know there is risk involved due to his fumbling, but there's enough upside I didn't think he would last that long.
I like Ridley's upside. The Pats clearly want him to step up his game this year and didn't bring in anyone experienced to challenge him. But the ball security problems make the bust factor too big to ignore. I can find plenty of players available through the first five rounds that are better or offer more certainty. Like you said though, you get to the sixth and beyond and he gets real tempting. He's a great target if you're going for an RB zero draft strategy..

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 14, 2014

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Suave Fedora posted:

Echoing all of this, especially Jeffrey at 2 and my man Marvin

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Your only QB is a broken Tony Romo & you drafted Charles Clay... I like Bradshaw as a value pick if Richardson shits the bed like people think.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Spoeank posted:

Charles Clay...

That's 2013 top 10 TE Charles Clay to you, sir.

I don't have a problem with Clay, especially that late. Honestly like him better than Bennett.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I did one (ignore the 16 drafted players, I only threw SJ on at the end because he was still available and I was debating between him and Hawkins and wanted to see FBG's opinion) on FFC (without using your beer sheets, though they are dope), same ppr & flex situation, but was in position #2, and I personally felt I did about the same. I, similarly ended up with Jeffery and Fitz, which I think says more about where they fall in FFC's rankings than our own personal valuation (though I do like Fitz where he's being drafted). All in all I think our WR's are about a wash, mainly because the two big ones are so similar, we also loaded up on high upside, new situation, players. You obviously ended up with better RBs, but I think mine are very boom-or-bust, while the better QB and TE options, to me, make the team legit if there's a boom. Overall I was very unhappy with the draft (as I would be with yours, no shots) but I've not given it another shot to try a different strategy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I agree about Jeffrey and Fitzgerald, but I think Torrey Smith is an okay pickup. He did fine for me last year, but I'm afraid Steve Smith will poach some receptions this year. Anyway, I think you should probably consider a QB at your r2/r3 pick. I like Marvin Jones as a late pickup as well. He is a young guy and had 10 TDs last season (4 in 1 game!) and I see a lot of potential for him to move up the rankings this year.

Projections have Jeffery as a top 10 WR in PPR, so I figured it was a logical choice. His ADP is around that point anyway.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Projections have Jeffery as a top 10 WR in PPR, so I figured it was a logical choice. His ADP is around that point anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's going to be bad because I think he's very talented. I just feel weird about taking a WR2 as my first receiver. At some point this season, Cutler will get hurt and then Alshon will be great, but until then you have Cutler throwing up retarded passes to Marshall just because they are BFFs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's going to be bad because I think he's very talented. I just feel weird about taking a WR2 as my first receiver. At some point this season, Cutler will get hurt and then Alshon will be great, but until then you have Cutler throwing up retarded passes to Marshall just because they are BFFs.

Good point. I guess the consensus is that I should have taken Ellington instead, going RB-RB-RB, and picked up a WR instead of Bell?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Good point. I guess the consensus is that I should have taken Ellington instead, going RB-RB-RB, and picked up a WR instead of Bell?

I did 3 RBs one season and the latter half of the season was ... unpleasant. I would be perfectly OK with VJax/Keenan as my WR1 if Jamaal Charles & Ellington/Vereen/Stacy were my RBs.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
And if you're a wire hawk, chances are you can scoop a WR up pretty early.

They're a fine a dozen, unlike RBs

Edit: though you might get a good RB off the wire early like I did with Ellington last year.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

What's the general consensus for the best site to do mock drafts on?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Kloaked00 posted:

What's the general consensus for the best site to do mock drafts on?

There isn't one, but I think FantasyFootballCalculator and ESPN are the best.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I like ESPN's mock drafts. As the mock lobbies become more populated, though, don't go into 6/10 or 8/10 lobbies because they fill up too fast and your position will rarely be available.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
You should do mock drafts on the site you will be drafting on. Why? Well because unless you play with 10-12 super hardcore people, the default rankings on the draft site will heavily influence where/when people are drafted. So it is best to practice with people who are drafting based on the rankings that will be presented to your league on draft day. As a result, even though the mock draft apps for ESPN and FFC are better, I find it most useful to mock draft on Yahoo because that's the site we use for our league.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Ended up doing a 12-man mock on ESPN, being in 4th position. Last year I went RB-BR-WR so I decided to try a more spread-out strategy

1. Adrian Peterson (4)
2. Julio Jones (21)
3. Julius Thomas (28)
4. Toby Gerhart (45)
5. Michael Floyd (52)
6. Marques Colston (69)
7. Russel Wilson (76)
8. Fred Jackson (93)
9. Deangelo Williams (100)
10. Marvin Jones (117)
11. Phil Rivers (124)
12. Tavon Austin (141)
13. Buffalo DST (148)
14. BJGE (165)
15. Janikowski (183)

Not incredibly happy with how it turned out. Happy with my #1-3 but after there it got rough. Also need to remember to pay attention to bye weeks in the future, since about half my team has Week 4 off

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Kloaked00 posted:

Also need to remember to pay attention to bye weeks in the future, since about half my team has Week 4 off

I'm always split on bye weeks.

Obviously you'd hate to automatically drop a game due to half of your team having the same bye week but if the players are of high enough quality, why worry about one loss if they can make up for it with more consistent wins?

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I agree. BYE weeks are one of my last considerations. Especially if they're later in the season because who knows what your team will look like by that point.

That said, week 4 is rough this year.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Thwomp posted:

I'm always split on bye weeks.

Obviously you'd hate to automatically drop a game due to half of your team having the same bye week but if the players are of high enough quality, why worry about one loss if they can make up for it with more consistent wins?

I would rather have all on one week than gimp myself on 2-4 weeks. Having back to back heavy bye weeks is the worst though.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
I only consider bye weeks for trades to gimp someone I'm playing that week.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I used to believe that, until my leagues got tougher and where playoff berths were being decided by single wins or losses. What if that BYE week loss results in the loss of a playoff bye, or prevents you from making the playoffs altogether? The goal should be to give yourself the best chance to win every week. It sounds obvious but it's a contradiction if you believe its OK to lose a game. If you have 3 starters with the same BYE week and did not address that through bench management (trade/waivers), losing that game won't be any kind of advantage.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Let's play Help Me Decide My Keepers!

This league uses a keeper system that we ripped off of a kind goon whose name escapes me but basically, players are assigned a point value based on last year's draft position, and each team has 10 points to spend per year. There's no draft penalty for keeping a player, but you CAN give up draft spots for additional keeper points (1st = 5 extra points, 2nd = 4, 3rd = 3 etc.)

This is a 2 QB league with 6 point passing TDs and .5 PPR. The rest is pretty standard.

code:
Player                  2014 Keeper Value
Drew Brees QB | NO 	        8
Andy Dalton QB | CIN 	        6
Kirk Cousins QB | WAS 	        2
Frank Gore RB | SF 	        5
Shane Vereen RB | NE 	        5
Rashad Jennings RB | NYG 	2
Andre Ellington RB | ARI 	2
Vincent Jackson WR | TB 	5
DeSean Jackson WR | WAS 	4
T.Y. Hilton WR | IND 	        4
Cordarrelle Patterson WR | MIN 	2
Jimmy Graham TE | NO 	        6
Julius Thomas TE | DEN 	        2
Rams DST | STL 	                2
Stephen Gostkowski K | NE 	2
Right now I'm leaning towards these three:
Julius Thomas TE | DEN 2
Andre Ellington RB | ARI 2
Cordarrelle Patterson WR | MIN 2

Which leaves me with 4 more points. I'm thinking I could take a flyer on DJAX or TY here or give up a 4th rounder to pick up an extra 2 points, which would allow me to keep either Graham or Dalton. Given that this is a 2QB league, giving up a 2nd rounder to keep Brees is also a good option.

If it seems complicated, it's cuz it is, but your thoughts are appreciated.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I'd probably either just do Brees and Patterson since it's a 6pt league, or more likely, forget Thomas and slot in Graham there.

• Locked thread