Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Well, this was after being in the store for 12 hours. Fatigue sets in and the last thing you really want to accuse someone of is loving with the dice. After my finals game he did the same thing to my friend while another friend watched (I had to go get a pint I was so pissed off). After I learnt this I told the TO something was up, the guy had marked dice and that the final should be played with a netural, common dice pool. Final score : 100 vs 24 against the cheat. No poo poo huh?

I'm pretty bitter about it. He was 1 of the 2 losses I had all day long. Not to mention I played his son who was also a budding cheat...picking up movement dials once movement began, doing things out of sequence, measuring range before combat (not a target lock action), yadda yadda.

The whole X-Wing community I've met so far is laid back, forgiving, co-operative and rule abiding. So this guy REALLY stood out and sadly soured the whole day.

Silver lining : 4 out of the 5 people in our road trip crew were in the top 8 :)

midge fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

midge posted:

...picking up movement dials once movement began

So this is apparently blowing up on the FFG forums right now- the question of whether or not you can look at(not adjust) your own dials once you've placed them, or if you just have to wait to activate and then flip them. Is that what you're talking about? The three tournaments I've been to, it's never really come up, but the way I read the rulebook is that you're allowed to look at your own dials at any time.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, why the hell would you not be able to change your dials before the activation phase begins?

Once you're in the activation phase, it's obviously a different matter entirely.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

If I ever have to look at a dial, I make a point of just flipping it up to look rather than picking it up. It's more obvious that I'm just looking that way :ohdear:

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I'm not just talking about a quick peak at your dial to make sure you didn't make a lovely move during activation. I'm talking "oh, he predicted my move and blocked me with an academy, oh poo poo let me bring this dial close to my chest and do something"

The way I see it, activation doesn't begin until both players say "done?", "done" "ok". Before that point you can pick up your dial and do whatever you like.

Edit : I obviously called the gently caress out of this guy.

midge fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 13, 2014

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

midge posted:

I'm not just talking about a quick peak at your dial to make sure you didn't make a lovely move during activation. I'm talking "oh, he predicted my move and blocked me with an academy, oh poo poo let me bring this dial close to my chest and do something"

Ugh. No matter what game you're playing, there's always going to be a few people that can't resist cheating. That dice technique seems really suspect as well, sucks that happened to you, if you see those dudes at another X-Wing tourney bring it up with the TO immediately.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

midge posted:

The way I see it, activation doesn't begin until both players say "done?", "done" "ok". Before that point you can pick up your dial and do whatever you like.

Ok, that's super shady and even if this guy were legit and not cheating, it's really a lovely thing to do.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
The tournament rules explicitly say, under the heading Range Rulers, Tokens, and Maneuver Templates, that any player can request that one set of dice/templates be shared for the duration of the match.

I think I might start looking out for this kind of thing. There's a guy at my FLGS that has a single die set aside from the others that he always uses when he runs over asteroids (or otherwise needs a miss) and another for when he's trying to roll a hit to recover from a critical hit effect or what have you. For casual games, or even the casual tournaments I run at that store, I don't mind this, since I think its largely just confirmation bias that makes him think those dice actually do give those results more often, but if I run into him at regionals next weekend, I might go ahead and request that we use one set of dice, just to be sure.

edit: To be clear, he doesn't roll them funny or anything, but he is the one that has publicly made the claim that those dice work better for certain results. If he really thinks that, I think he should abstain from their use in a serious tournament for fairness sake. If he wants to use his own dice and just not use those two at all, that would be fine with me. Basically, he's the one claiming their weight is off, not me.

On the subject of looking at dials, the rules explicitly say you may look at your own dials at any time, which is useful when you need to remember what you chose so you can get the order of activation for multiple same PS ships correct, but I agree that one should do this in a manner that is as transparent as possible, like just lift it enough to peek at it, or, for the case of multiple same PS, declare what you're doing and flip them both over.

Lunatic Pathos fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 13, 2014

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Flew this at the FLGS today:

100 points:
-Bounty Hunter
-Bounty Hunter
-Black Sqd. TIE + Predator
-Black Sqd. TIE + Predator

It was fun and effective! I need to play it against some more varied opposition though, one guy was new-ish running an Echo+TIE/In+Darth TIE/a, and the second guy was flying a two-ship Boba Fett + Vader Doom Shuttle combo which...didn't go well for him.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Lunatic Pathos posted:

edit: To be clear, he doesn't roll them funny or anything, but he is the one that has publicly made the claim that those dice work better for certain results. If he really thinks that, I think he should abstain from their use in a serious tournament for fairness sake. If he wants to use his own dice and just not use those two at all, that would be fine with me. Basically, he's the one claiming their weight is off, not me.

If he's that much of an idiot to claim to such a thing he's pretty much asking for it.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Sorry for double post, but it's a new discussion point.

Cards from Tantive IV (C-3PO basically) were not legal in the Nuernberg regional. Is this the start of a grassroots ban? How can an official event pick and choose what is legal?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

midge posted:

Sorry for double post, but it's a new discussion point.

Cards from Tantive IV (C-3PO basically) were not legal in the Nuernberg regional. Is this the start of a grassroots ban? How can an official event pick and choose what is legal?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in international tournaments, I think the TO can determine what product is legal based on availability. In the US, since FFG is a little more in control of product availability, they can force events to use stuff after it's street date.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yeah the language in the Tournament Rules says anything outside of North America is up to the TO based on availability.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I wish C-3PO was banned/adjusted. Anything that is an instant addition to an already common top tier build needs pretty strong consideration.

midge fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 14, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TBF I actually like that builds like falcon+ z-95 are around because they keep the phantom builds honest. From my large (we get 20+ players during store champs and 16-20 for monthly tourneys in about every store) play group in the DMV area, the current contentions always revolve around a Rock Paper Scissors meta surrounding the phantom. Large tie builds and XXBB are almost nonexistent due to better high-PS builds and predator nowadays.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

midge posted:

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I wish C-3PO was banned/adjusted. Anything that is an instant addition to an already common top tier build needs pretty strong consideration.

C-3PO seems overhyped to me-- in general I think Chewbacca (crew member) is better for Han. The real benefit of C-3PO as far as I can tell is that you can take him in a list that already has Chewbacca as a pilot.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fetterkey posted:

C-3PO seems overhyped to me-- in general I think Chewbacca (crew member) is better for Han. The real benefit of C-3PO as far as I can tell is that you can take him in a list that already has Chewbacca as a pilot.

I agree. Chewbacca gives you 1 shield and hull. C3PO gives you 5/8 shield/hull every turn. Depends on how long you expect the falcon to live but in any meta with 3-4 elite pilot builds like mine I think C3PO is better.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I've been looking to finally pick up this game, but want to try it out first.

Part of my hesitation is my compulsive disorder which may, assuming I even remotely enjoy the game, force me to purchase every single ship this game has to offer.

Do people actually end up buying the entire set? How obscenely expensive would this be? Are there bundles?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Part of my hesitation is my compulsive disorder which may, assuming I even remotely enjoy the game, force me to purchase every single ship this game has to offer.

Do people actually end up buying the entire set? How obscenely expensive would this be? Are there bundles?

To buy a minimum of 1 of everything, plus dupes of some of the ships I wanted to play, I hit $500 on miniaturemarket.com

I talked myself down to $260.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gerbil_Pen posted:

I have between 1 and 3 of every ship (not counting base TIEs), but I had the advantage of picking things up as they came out. There aren't really any "bundles" (other than Imperial Aces, but even though that gets you two TIE Interceptors, it comes with completely different cards than the single Interceptor.), but online retailers will frequently have ships a lot cheaper than MSRP. I plan on getting my other 2 Rebel Transports from Amazon (Yes, I'm getting 3...there's a mission in the box that requires 3 on the field), and I'll save something like 40%.

At this point in the game's lifecycle, your best bet is to determine which faction you want to play as and basically build yourself a list and only buy what you need. If you're in the position of having to field your own squad as well as your opponents (like I am; I generally only play with my wife or my other housemates) you'll be spending a lot more money.

The one big downside is that certain upgrade cards only come with certain ships. They've slowly been rectifying this with ongoing releases, but unless you and your group is okay with proxy cards, you may end up buying ships you don't plan to use just to get the upgrade cards.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

this point in the game's lifecycle, your best bet is to determine which faction you want to play as and basically build yourself a list and only buy what you need. If you're in the position of having to field your own squad as well as your opponents (like I am; I generally only play with my wife or my other housemates) you'll be spending a lot more money.

I like this idea - can rebels fight rebels or does it always have to be rebels v alliance? I just want to know if I need to coordinate with my buddy.

Sigma-X posted:

To buy a minimum of 1 of everything, plus dupes of some of the ships I wanted to play, I hit $500 on miniaturemarket.com

I talked myself down to $260.

I could see myself doing this, and that's why I like jivjov's idea.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gerbil_Pen posted:

I like this idea - can rebels fight rebels or does it always have to be rebels v alliance? I just want to know if I need to coordinate with my buddy.

I could see myself doing this, and that's why I like jivjov's idea.

yup, Mirror matches are fine. The ships even come with little number tags you can attack to the bases so you can tell your ships from your opponents if you're mirroring.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

yup, Mirror matches are fine. The ships even come with little number tags you can attack to the bases so you can tell your ships from your opponents if you're mirroring.

Very good, I have my recruitment email ready to go. Thanks for the help.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Honestly I wouldn't be too worried because its not really often that you'll want more than one or two of a type of ship, although some exceptions do apply. There are dudes in the forum who have literally thousands of dollars in little ships and at least one poster has a pretty sizable capital fleet.

There is a ton of choice these days and the game is pretty balanced, if you like the game then get whatever ships you like or use on a regular basis and go with that.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Coming from 20 years of Games Workshop products this game is obscenely cheap to me.

Valiant Pudding
Dec 31, 2007
With raisins!
Ok, so I finally went ahead and bought the base set. Does anyone have any tips on where I should go from here? I'm not really planning on tournament play, it's kind of more a plot to get my get my Star Wars enthousiast and strategic computer gaming-dad into boardgames, and the occasional game with other friends. So I'm planning on buying both rebel and imperial ships. I've been thinking about buying another base set, but I don't know if I'm better off getting individual ships and (supposedly?) cards which aren't in the base set?

Also, are there any europe based (web)shops where I can find better prices than my local stores for ships?

Thanks!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Valiant Pudding posted:

Ok, so I finally went ahead and bought the base set. Does anyone have any tips on where I should go from here? I'm not really planning on tournament play, it's kind of more a plot to get my get my Star Wars enthousiast and strategic computer gaming-dad into boardgames, and the occasional game with other friends. So I'm planning on buying both rebel and imperial ships. I've been thinking about buying another base set, but I don't know if I'm better off getting individual ships and (supposedly?) cards which aren't in the base set?

Also, are there any europe based (web)shops where I can find better prices than my local stores for ships?

Thanks!

I highly recommend a second core set if for no other reason than the second set of dice and movement templates. If you're providing stuff for both players, you're gonna want those things. That said, the individual X-Wing and TIE Fighter packs have different cards than the ones in the core set (The X-Wing individual blister pack has Wedge as a pilot. He's so cool). I personally picked up 2 cores and one each of the individual X-Wing and TIE to get maximum coverage.

Valiant Pudding
Dec 31, 2007
With raisins!
Thanks for the info! I think I'd rather wait getting another core set, just to get some more variety in ship/upgrade/pilot choices (also, it'll be hard to convince my girlfriend I really need the same expensive set of toy planes just for the markers). Right now I'm thinking of this:

Star Wars X-wing: TIE bomber
Star Wars X-Wing: Y-Wing Expansion
Star Wars X-wing A-wing Expansion
Star Wars X-Wing: X-Wing Expansion
Star Wars X-wing TIE Interceptor

Which will give me 4 ships on either side. This choice is mostly based on ship appearance (I'll be playing this casually and wont worry yet about a fixed squad, I'd rather experiment with different layouts every time). Unless one of these choices is actually really bad (I've been reading mixed things about the use of the TIE Bomber). Originally I was going to buy the Imperial Aces set instead of the individual Interceptor, but my store doesn't carry it any more.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

You'll want Aces eventually if you enjoy the Interceptors, but the basic Interceptor pack has Soontir Fel as an ace pilot, and he's easily the top pilot for the craft anyway. Stick the Push the Limit upgrade card from the A-Wing pack on him and watch the magic happen. Aces also includes two more copies of PtL, along with a bunch of upgrades and unique pilots for Interceptors. Fun pack all around.

Bombers are... well, they aren't horrible, but they're a little awkward. A lot of their power comes from their weapon load outs, which makes them a lot more expensive than they first appear. With most of those weapons being single shot, it can turn into a bad investment in a hurry if you aren't lucky. I think the Munitions Failsafe upgrade from the newest wave might help, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet myself. They also have Captain Jonus, an ace pilot that lets nearby squadmates use those secondary weapons more efficiently. By no means a worthless ship, but be aware of how you're using it.

I would actually recommend you grab the TIE Defender or the TIE Phantom instead of a Bomber to start with, assuming they're available in your area. Both work much better as standalone fighters and add some interesting things to the game. If you're willing to get a large ship, the Firespray is also a really solid addition to Imperial squads.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

My core set + assorted Imp crap showed up today, so I tossed two 40 point squads at each other just to make sure I have a handle on the rules. The phantom teleport trick is cool and all, but it seems like having four guns is what makes them actually dangerous. One of my LGSes has an X-wing meetup on their calendar every tuesday; I don't know if that's necessarily observed, but I might as well look in and see if anyone's around to stomp on my hopes and dreams.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
4 attack makes them dangerous, the cloaking makes them hard to catch and a lot more mobile than most things not named Soontir Fel. It's a pretty nasty combo if the player is good.

I had the absolute worst game last night though. I rolled less hits and focuses than blanks the entire game, especially on evade rolls. Rolled 4 dice, all blanks 3 times, and a bunch of 3 dice, all blanks as well. Multiple turns of 0-1 hits on 4 dice with no focus symbols. Opponent never rolled less than 3 hits with a shuttle it's first 4 shots, and shredded Fel at range 3 while he was sitting on evade and focus. My Academy pilot did more damage that game than Fel, simply by being mostly ignored, still lost eventually though. I think all three ships died while sitting at 3 hull with a focus token I never got to use.

Still, despite pretty terrible luck, I did kill the guys Bounty Hunter and damage the Shuttle a bit, and the same list did well the game before against a 4-ship Rebel list of 2x A-Wings, B-Wing, Z-95. I was running:

Rexler Brath w/ HLC, Hull, and Predator
Soontir w/ PtL, Stealth, Royal Guard, Hull
Academy Pilot

Brath was a monster this game early on, taking both A-Wings to 1 hull turns 1 and 3, and putting a bunch of hits on the B-Wing before taking a crit and getting tangled up in a ball of ships. The Academy blocked like a hero early and then finished the B-Wing when Brath died. Soontir with 3 hull ended up facing down both A-Wings and the Z-95, all at 1 hull, solo. Took a while to manage but PtL kept him from ever getting focus fired while he bounced around.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I hadn't played or kept up with this game since not long after Wave 2 was released (I played in/ran a Kessel Run tournament, any my stuff didn't hit the table much after that), but with seeing the release of the Wave 4 ships recently my interest was rekindled... and now in the last week I've picked up Imperial Aces, one Defender, Phantom, EWing, Z-95, Bomber, HWK, and Lambda Shuttle, 2 BWings, a 3rd AWing, and each of the huge ships to fully flush out the collection. :v:

I've got a group of regulars who I get together with and do random gaming with once a week at our FLGS (anything from TCGs to party games to Warmachine to board games) and last week introduced a couple of them to this game and they seemed to enjoy it. This week I'm showing up prepared with 8 pre-built lists to let people pick from and explore the game some more; hopefully I'll actually get some of them interested enough to play more regularly!

Here's the lists for discussion sake. I tried to make them varied in options, and include a large majority of my total ships allowing all of these to be on the table simultaneously without overlap. :)

code:
(YT1300) Lando Calrissian
   Elusiveness, Nien Numb
(BWing) Ibtisam
   Push the Limit
(BWing) Blue Squadron Pilot

(HWK) Kyle Katarn
   Blaster Turret, Recon Specialst, Moldy Crow title
(AWing) Tycho Celchu
   Push the Limit
(AWing) Prototype Pilot
   Hull Upgrade
(AWing) Prototype Pilot
   Hull Upgrade

(XWing) Luke Skywalker
   R2-D2
(YWing) "Dutch" Vander
   Ion Cannon Turret
(Z-95) Tala Squadron Pilot
(EWing) Knave Squadron Pilot

(XWing) Wedge Antilles
   R7-T1, Flechette Torpedo, Predator
(XWing) Jek Porkins
   R2-D2, Flechette Torpedo, Opportunist
(XWing) Tarn Mison
   R7 Astromech, Flechette Torpedo
code:
(Firespray) Boba Fett
   Autoblaster, Proton Bombs, Veteran Instincts, Navigator, Engine Upgrade
(Lambda) Captain Kagi
   Fire-Control System, Autoblaster, Darth Vader, Rebel Prisoner, ST-321 Title

(TIE Adv) Darth Vader
   Veteran Instincts
(TIE) Howlrunner
(TIE) Black Squadron Pilot
(TIE) Black Squadron Pilot
(TIE) Academy Pilot
(TIE) Academy Pilot

(Phantom) "Whisper"
   Gunner
(Bomber) Captain Jonus
   Proximity Mines
(Defender) Onyx Squadron Pilot
   Ion Cannon, Stealth Device

(TIE Int) Soonter Fel
   Push the Limit
(TIE Int) Carnor Jax
   Wingman
(TIE Int) Kir Kanos
(TIE Int) Alpha Squadron Pilot
I think the Phantom/Bomber/Defender group is probably the weakest of the bunch, but A) I'm not entirely sure how to build around the Bomber yet and haven't given it enough thought, and B) I didn't make these to be super competitive, just to give my group a bunch of options to play from, and to represent all the available ships (except the capitals). That said, any suggestions on tweaks to these to make sure people have fun and stand a chance no matter which they play with?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I'd pull the PtL Fel list out of there. It's one of the strongest builds in the game and if one of the players figures out the boost + barrel roll combo he'll probably seriously frustrate his opponent, which probably isn't what you want quite yet for new players. Double focus + evade is almost as bad. Maybe replace him with Turr Phenir or another named Interceptor pilot with a skill.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Merauder posted:

I hadn't played or kept up with this game since not long after Wave 2 was released (I played in/ran a Kessel Run tournament, any my stuff didn't hit the table much after that), but with seeing the release of the Wave 4 ships recently my interest was rekindled... and now in the last week I've picked up Imperial Aces, one Defender, Phantom, EWing, Z-95, Bomber, HWK, and Lambda Shuttle, 2 BWings, a 3rd AWing, and each of the huge ships to fully flush out the collection. :v:

I've got a group of regulars who I get together with and do random gaming with once a week at our FLGS (anything from TCGs to party games to Warmachine to board games) and last week introduced a couple of them to this game and they seemed to enjoy it. This week I'm showing up prepared with 8 pre-built lists to let people pick from and explore the game some more; hopefully I'll actually get some of them interested enough to play more regularly!

Here's the lists for discussion sake. I tried to make them varied in options, and include a large majority of my total ships allowing all of these to be on the table simultaneously without overlap. :)

LISTS

$150 Rebel and $170 Empire. Not insane, but not cheap either. Decisions, decisions :rodimus:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

As i understand it, spending $320 for all of that gets you alot more in this game than it would in some other miniatures game though.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
Just did the math and I guess I've spent $670 at MSRP on my collection. I probably spent more like $500 over two years, but I can field most viable lists and have got tons of play out of it. Worth way more than equivalent amount in any other minis game.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

The one big downside is that certain upgrade cards only come with certain ships. They've slowly been rectifying this with ongoing releases, but unless you and your group is okay with proxy cards, you may end up buying ships you don't plan to use just to get the upgrade cards.

I just want to advise future X-Wing Players that unless you are going to be playing in the sanctioned Tournaments (Regionals, Nationals, Assault on Imdaar Alpha), you won't need to deal with acquiring every Upgrade/Pilot/Equipment card. Your friends (if they are your friends) shouldn't have any issues with you using Pen and Paper so you can have 3x Advanced Sensors. No one really wants 3 Shuttles. The only place that you will be required to have the official cards is at a sanctioned FFG Tournament.

Perhaps it's just my group, but despite spending more $$ on the game than we like to think about, we still proxy all kinds of stuff when we play...Then again it's usually X-Wing: Alcohol Wing that we are playing. We also don't ever play @100 points, the lowest we go is 155, most we've played is 300 to each side. It gets a bit hectic in the higher points values, but we definitely have a blast with more stuff on the board.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

When playing with your friends there should be no issue proxying stuff. It sucks to play in official events in stores and have folks wanting to do it, though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I just realized that I'll need to buy a couple defenders because predator is included. If it wasn't such an awful ship I wouldn't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The defender has been pretty good the times I've tried it, you really need to exploit the white k-turn though.

• Locked thread