Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Just started with this game a few days ago. Taking a while to get the hang of things. What's the difference between mining ships and Mining stations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Mining ships can move and travel around, out of your control, to harvest resources which they transport to your Ports. Stations remain in orbit around what they harvest and the resources are hauled away by freighters.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Archonex posted:

You can just let the game handle that and create specialized ships where needed. That's how you should be doing it anyways. The game is fully capable of handling ship design on its own. Trying to handle ship design yourself is an exercise in futility given how efficient it is at making ships to fulfill your baseline needs.

I've done that before. It's just a shame because there's so much potential with ship design, and making your own ships in 4x space games is always fun, but there's just so much tedious bookkeeping with ship design in Distant Worlds that it isn't worth it. I know you can automate what type of ships you want (adjust weapon ratios, engine ratios, quantity of armor, etc.), but there's nothing quite like making your own spaceships and watching how they perform.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
You can make the sets of ships once and save them to a file once you're done. Then when you start a new game just load your ships and filter by what's buildable, marking things obsolete as you tech up.

Also make sure you're upgrading things and copying as new to save time (it's easy to miss how that works).

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

Mining ships can move and travel around, out of your control, to harvest resources which they transport to your Ports. Stations remain in orbit around what they harvest and the resources are hauled away by freighters.

Awesome thanks! So Mining ships are controlled and funded by the private sector then.

I'm currently trying to micromanage which mining spots are built first, it seems since I only have 3 constructor ships and a shortage of some important resources, it's getting done very slowly. The wierd thing is is that it is getting completed at all though. I don't have a source of helium, but I need it for tons of different components. Where am I getting this helium?

In the cargo of some places, there's an empire column. What does this mean? Do I hold cargo for other empires? And why?

This brings me to my next point. Is there any god damned way I can resize windows. I can't believe they have spreadsheets whose headers are too long to fit in the table, and also not give us the ability to resize the windows to actually see what they say. I mean come-on, this is like UI design 101.

e: Also, what does this bonus income come from?

ee: So I've also found some abandoned ships. I've sent some ships there to investigate, how do I take them over?

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 13, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I think the simple expedient of a visual aspect to ship design would help make it 300% more fun. Something like Star Ruler or Space Empires V. It's a small thing and yet the process of actually plonking down your components instead of making a list of parts from another list would be a big change, I think,

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Just "finished" my first game, as the three eyed rat guys. I set up a tiny universe with default settings otherwise, classic age. I started in the same sector as two insect races. One of them immediately placed a starbase in my home system and it went downhill from there, with them both declaring war before I had found any spots for a new colony. They managed to kill my fleets faster than I could build them, so once all my military was dead I said fuckit and quit. I guess going with such a small universe was unwise.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Eschatos posted:

Just "finished" my first game, as the three eyed rat guys. I set up a tiny universe with default settings otherwise, classic age. I started in the same sector as two insect races. One of them immediately placed a starbase in my home system and it went downhill from there, with them both declaring war before I had found any spots for a new colony. They managed to kill my fleets faster than I could build them, so once all my military was dead I said fuckit and quit. I guess going with such a small universe was unwise.

The insectoid races are very aggressive and very strong in the early game because of their high growth rates. They fall off later in the game because they have relatively slow research rates and the humanoid races tend to band together in defensive alliances.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Newbie question, where can I find / is there a menu from which I could see the flow of resources in my empire? I'd like to know what resources are needed the most at the moment. Also, how do I know how my private sector fares? I think I've read that private sector should be kept in good shape but I have no idea if it's thriving or dying, I only found the number of ships they have currently.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Dirk the Average posted:

I know you can automate what type of ships you want (adjust weapon ratios, engine ratios, quantity of armor, etc.)...
How do you do that?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Archonex posted:

Speaking of specialized ships, I had an idea for a neat way to cross the galaxy early on. I was considering making a bunch of fuel dump stations. Nothing but the bare essentials, a cargo bay, and if it's useful a gas collector. Pretty sure you don't need power to dock and refuel, so you could just have a bunch of defenseless low maintenance stations hanging out in dead space to act as jump points for your shorter range vessels. The only downside is that you'd need a ton of gas collectors to fill them up. It'd probably generate a fair amount of cash too.
Seems like by the time you deploy all that you're going to be pretty close to having the Gerax drives anyway.

On that note, does anyone find the jump from warp bubble generators to Gerax hyperdrives, a bit discontinuous? You go from, traveling to an adjacent sector is a journey, to traveling to the other side of the galaxy is. It seems like there's an interesting game to be had, where you're limited to a few sectors and a handful of contacts, but it never really gets a chance to play out, even if you make tech really expensive.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Kilroy posted:

Seems like by the time you deploy all that you're going to be pretty close to having the Gerax drives anyway.

On that note, does anyone find the jump from warp bubble generators to Gerax hyperdrives, a bit discontinuous? You go from, traveling to an adjacent sector is a journey, to traveling to the other side of the galaxy is. It seems like there's an interesting game to be had, where you're limited to a few sectors and a handful of contacts, but it never really gets a chance to play out, even if you make tech really expensive.

Yeah I feel like there should be a middle ground, maybe advanced warp bubble generators, as right now they are very useless as you can unlock the Gerax much faster than it took you to get warp bubbles done

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Trogdos! posted:

Newbie question, where can I find / is there a menu from which I could see the flow of resources in my empire? I'd like to know what resources are needed the most at the moment. Also, how do I know how my private sector fares? I think I've read that private sector should be kept in good shape but I have no idea if it's thriving or dying, I only found the number of ships they have currently.

In the expansion planner page you can sort the list of resources by Unfulfilled and get an idea what you're short on, as well as how much is in transit in the adjacent column. You can even set the bottom section of the planner to "Resource Targets by Your Empire Priority" and filter by resources you're short on to assign/queue construction of bases.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Stevefin posted:

Yeah I feel like there should be a middle ground, maybe advanced warp bubble generators, as right now they are very useless as you can unlock the Gerax much faster than it took you to get warp bubbles done

That's mostly because the pre-warp stuff and colonisation is artifically high in terms of research cost as compared to everything else.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Attempt #2, again as the Teekans. This time I actually customized settings and put in only four other races to hopefully space things out. I actually managed to survive for more than 30 minutes this time. I am left with a ton of questions that I hope yall could help with.

First off, I constantly get notices about resource shortages that are preventing shipbuilding, even from resources that I already have access to. Is there any solution beyond "build mining bases everywhere?"

Whether the above is true or not, how do I actually keep mining bases safe from pirates? They were always able to jump in a few ships and blow my base up or capture it long before I could get a fleet in to help. Should I upgrade mining bases with armor and weapons, or just say fuckit and let them die?

Is there any way to trade other players for resources that I don't have access to and can't easily get access to?

Is it possible to see which ship designs are using a particular module? Early on I investigated a ruin, and got rewarded the devastator pulse. Immediately after the advisor offered to update ship designs with that tech, which I accepted, but I couldn't find any designs that were using it.

How do I get actually get research going at a good rate? After an hour of play I still hadn't achieved any high-tech technologies, but I hadn't found any spots that gave bonus high-tech research.

A little before I stopped playing, some pirates took over one of my mining bases. When I sent a recently recovered capital ship to chase the pirate off, it immediately blew up my former base. How do I get that to not happen, and just retake the base?

Finally(for now), is there any way to refuel fleets outside of friendly colonies if I haven't yet researched resupply ships?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Nektu posted:

How do you do that?

In the empire policy menu - there's a section about your ship designs that ask you what you want to prioritize on your ships that the AI designs. It's buried in all of the other automation options.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Eschatos posted:

Whether the above is true or not, how do I actually keep mining bases safe from pirates? They were always able to jump in a few ships and blow my base up or capture it long before I could get a fleet in to help. Should I upgrade mining bases with armor and weapons, or just say fuckit and let them die?

Definitely put shields and armor on them just to make them survivable, then give them a long range-ish weapon. Fighter bays work marvelously, but they're expensive size-wise, and you probably shouldn't laden your private sector with that.

quote:

Is there any way to trade other players for resources that I don't have access to and can't easily get access to?

Pirate smuggling missions are really the only way.

quote:

Is it possible to see which ship designs are using a particular module? Early on I investigated a ruin, and got rewarded the devastator pulse. Immediately after the advisor offered to update ship designs with that tech, which I accepted, but I couldn't find any designs that were using it.

Open up the design screen, filter by military ships, and click Edit on the designs. It won't let you edit it if you have any of that version built, but it will show you the design specs. Alternatively, if you select any ship, you can click on it's class name and it'll show you the same screen.

quote:

How do I get actually get research going at a good rate? After an hour of play I still hadn't achieved any high-tech technologies, but I hadn't found any spots that gave bonus high-tech research.

Open up the tech tree window, click on the fourth tab. You'll see a number on the right to the effect of 'Total Empire Research Potential' or something. You want to have enough labs so that their size equals that number. Weapons, Energy and High Tech are counted separately, so the lab size of any one of the three category should equal a third of that number. So if your Total Potential was 400, you'd want 140 size of each category on your spaceport. I just put them all on the Large Space Port design, and then only ever build one of them.

quote:

A little before I stopped playing, some pirates took over one of my mining bases. When I sent a recently recovered capital ship to chase the pirate off, it immediately blew up my former base. How do I get that to not happen, and just retake the base?

To capture stuff you need a ship with Assault Pods. In Empire Policy you can set the priorities for what should be conquered, but I've noticed automated ships tend not to be great at that. If you manually select the ship, you can control + right click and manually choose the Capture Base/Ship option.

[/quote]
Finally(for now), is there any way to refuel fleets outside of friendly colonies if I haven't yet researched resupply ships?
[/quote]

Military ships can only be refueled at independent worlds (which usually won't have enough fuel for any reasonably sized fleet), stations and colonies of empires that have given you military refueling rights, or your own colonies and bases.

For a good general guide, read this, it basically taught me how to play this game (and now it seems too easy really): http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3508583

e: some notes about that guide.
  • He recommends you run down the Impact Assault Blaster and Shockwave torpedo line, but I think this is actually a bad choice. Experience has taught me that it's better to invest in Velocity Shards and Phaser Lances, because they're effective at range. If you set your designs to use standoff against stronger foes, and give them mad engines (:Crying Ackdarian: and :Crying Sluken:) they'll kite like motherfuckers. There is nothing funnier than having a fleet of 10 destroyers cruise up to a pirate base, and just blast away at it from just outside the range of the base weapons.
  • He points out that on armed designs, they should have enough Unused Reactor Output to fire the maximum energy per second of the weapons. But I think you actually want the surplus to equal EPS of the weapons plus the energy usage of your ship in cruise mode, because they will move and shoot at the same time, and you don't want to run down their energy doing that.
  • I put all my researchers on a Large Space Port rather than a Research Base because it's more defensible, and enemy spies really seem to enjoy blowing up research stations and the scientists that live on them. They never seem to target space ports, not sure why.
  • The automated designs seem to put lots of Weapons/Energy/HighTech Plants on spaceports, but people all over the Matrix Games website suggest you really only need one each for anything up to like 30 Construction Yards. I've been rolling with one each and it seems to work fine.
  • ALWAYS SET YOUR STARTING WORLD TAX RATE TO ZERO. Combined with the Recreation and Medical facilities you'll put on your spaceport, your homeworld will grow really fast. Don't raise taxes until you absolutely need to, let Bonus Income tide you over. Once your world hits Max Pop (it'll say MAX in red letters when it gets there, probably right around when you're going to start colonizing other worlds) jack up the tax rate pretty much as high as you need to rake in the mad cash. By letting your initial world balloon in population you will blow the AI out of the water.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 14, 2014

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Eschatos posted:

Attempt #2, again as the Teekans. This time I actually customized settings and put in only four other races to hopefully space things out. I actually managed to survive for more than 30 minutes this time. I am left with a ton of questions that I hope yall could help with.

First off, I constantly get notices about resource shortages that are preventing shipbuilding, even from resources that I already have access to. Is there any solution beyond "build mining bases everywhere?"
Look at your resource planner and see if those are unfulfilled/your stock is 0. If there isn't enough you need more mines. If there is you might need more cargo on your star base to hold them.

quote:

I beef up my mining bases with about 1k shields, 400 armor, and weapons. You can also add a bunch of extra hab modules to get more boarding defense. If you can afford to have defense fleets nearby it just needs to hold until they arrive. If you lose them just build more.

quote:

You can set up smuggling missions, otherwise once you have free trade agreements and their freighters can make it to you other races will trade with you.

quote:

No idea, go look through them? Military tech will tend to go on your private bases and private ships.

quote:

I just build one big base around my capital with research labs. Go look at your research screen to see the maximum and then build that into your spaceport.

quote:

Get boarding pods on a ship and then ctrl+right click and capture

quote:

Your ships will resupply anywhere with fuel, like gas mining stations.

e:fb

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Man so in my current game i found the way of darkness really early like before i got the gerax and now i'm basically waging war with all my goody neighbors and somehow pissed off every pirate faction haha. I built a gently caress ton of escorts/frigates/destroyers but my newly colonized world just gets raided constantly because all those military ships just wanna chill at my home base?

I dont want to have to bother with creating a fleet for every loving world--is there a way to ensure that your retarded automated defense ships actually protect important poo poo rather then waste their time orbiting my strongest station while the border worlds get ravaged? I've taken to creating a defense fleet for every world then stationing them there.

I also love the insect race balancing, their super strong but as a non insect you naturally hate them hence you just create big gently caress off defense pacts.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Where does Bonus income come from? And can I not build a large space port anywhere? I noticed my homeworld has one, but I don't get the option for any colonies.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Where does Bonus income come from? And can I not build a large space port anywhere? I noticed my homeworld has one, but I don't get the option for any colonies.

Bonus income is the private sector paying construction yard fees and resort use. Rather than being spread out over a year like tax income is, your bonus income is a one time infusion of cash as the buy ships from you and tourists arrive at your resorts. Note, this can be from other empires, with regard to tourism income. AS for your large space port, I dont know. Did you accidentally obsolete it?

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Are you trying to build one using the buttons you get at the lower left when you have a colony selected?

The game hides options in that window (based on whatever). Try building it in the "Colonies" window.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Bonus income is the private sector buying stuff from you. Usually ships, also resort bases and super-luxury trading I think.

As for the spaceport, if you select the planet, right click it, and hover over the 'Build Here' option, does it not list the Large Space Port you want? If it doesn't look at your Design page and make sure it's not obsolete.

Arghy posted:

Man so in my current game i found the way of darkness really early like before i got the gerax and now i'm basically waging war with all my goody neighbors and somehow pissed off every pirate faction haha. I built a gently caress ton of escorts/frigates/destroyers but my newly colonized world just gets raided constantly because all those military ships just wanna chill at my home base?

I dont want to have to bother with creating a fleet for every loving world--is there a way to ensure that your retarded automated defense ships actually protect important poo poo rather then waste their time orbiting my strongest station while the border worlds get ravaged? I've taken to creating a defense fleet for every world then stationing them there.

I also love the insect race balancing, their super strong but as a non insect you naturally hate them hence you just create big gently caress off defense pacts.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2973167

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Arghy posted:

Nope that's basically how you have to do it. The fleet automation is exceptionally bad, and because fleets operate like a singular unit it means the only way to do things efficiently is to split your military into tons of small fleets.

That guide for fleet posturing makes it sound great on paper, but as you know the automation on ships is hilariously slow to respond and automated fleets will, again, act as a single unit. So if a single ship is out of fuel or damaged, the whole fleet will give up trying to fend off enemies until that one ship is ready to go. So you really just can't have 1 big automated fleet cover defense for a large area.

You can try setting up lots of small overlapping automated defensive fleets too, this way they'll help cover each other when one fleet needs to get repairs.

Another useful tip I mentioned earlier, name the fleets you are personally controlling (like large attack or defense fleets, or troop transport, etc) things like, '0a1', '0d1', '0t1' and so on. This way, the fleets you care about controlling float to the top of the fleet list, and the dozens and dozens of system defense fleets you create will automatically float to the bottom.

I wish every space 4x game had mine laying mechanics like Stars! did. I don't think I've ever seen another one that had anything like that.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
GENERAL NEWBIE TIPS and a few responses to some of the questions over the last page:

1) Resource Shortage doesn't necessarily mean you are "out" of a resource, it could mean that your private sector just hasn't moved the appropriate amount of resources to the places that need them. Try not to use the automated "build ships" window. If you do, it spreads the orders out to all available construction yards, meaning that your newest bases will be given a queue and probably not have resources on hand to build them... as opposed to your large spaceport at your home world.

2) Definitely hand-design a set of starting ships and bases and save those designs for all future games. At the beginning of each subsequent game- pause, go to the design menu, load up your custom starting designs.

3) Design a research station that has all of your labs at the one station. In your custom designs above, strip off all research labs from every small/medium/large space ports. I modified my energy research station to have just 4 energy labs in the initial design so that it's built quickly, and I always build that first. Once it's built, I queue a small space station at my home world, then modify the Energy Research Station to have 12 energy labs, 4 weapons labs and 4 high tech labs, and retrofit the station immediately. Once you are established and can afford specific research stations on research bonuses, go for it. I generally keep that one research base throughout every game, as it can basically never be destroyed by anyone (if they can kill it at my home world, I'm probably hosed already). I do adjust the number of labs on it as needed throughout the game- usually switching from 4/12/4 to 4/4/12 once I get Gerax and the first couple size upgrades.

4) Storage Matters. You do want to research/upgrade storage on Mining Ships, Mining Bases, and all Private Ships as early as feasible. The private sector is what moves your goods around, so you want to make sure they are able to mine/carry a lot and be able to move large volumes of resources quickly.

5) Custom design an explorer with as much speed as possible when starting (PreWarp). Your primary objective in any pre-warp start is to discover warp precursors as well as collect that free frigate. I build two of those custom explorers and book it towards the ruins and the frigate in my system. Do not bother with trying to build mining bases/military ships until you research warp precursors. The exception is at the moons/gas planet immediately next to your home system.

6) Once you hit warp precursors, send out explorers to all of the nearby systems. Yes, the warp bubble hyperdrive sucks balls, but build a custom explorer design with a LOT of fuel, hyperdrive, enough power to go max speed on the hyperdrive, and limited engines/thrusters (since it will be mostly in warp). I usually send out about 5 explorers in this phase, while I wait for Gerax. Once I hit Gerax hyperdrives, I refit those 5 and build 15-25 more explorers with Gerax hyperdrives to go explore the rest of the galaxy (on automated).

7) Space Debris fields are the poo poo, send constructors there immediately. Your empire gets an ongoing research bonus while repairing space debris ships. You get up to capital sized ships for free (minus maintenance costs). Retire all sub-capital ships not fitting your current tech because they give you free research, which is always the best thing to have.

8) If you find ultra-rare resources or a Space Debris field, build a space port or star base as close as you can to them. This will help you immensely, both for defense and for retiring ships/mobile refueling platform for any nearby defense forces. It is absolutely worthwhile to build a specific fleet just for defending ultra-rares (duh). Try to prioritize colonization as close as you can to these resources unless they're literally on the opposite side of the universe.

9) Intelligence agents/missions are currently broken. I have sent multiple "perfect" Intelligence agents on easy missions (steal territory map) and they are captured. There is talk on the Matrix games forum about how there is something wrong with the current intelligence missions, and I agree completely after my basic observation over 20+ games. So, it's not just you.

At first, I hated the ship design screen. Once you figure out how to save some key designs that you always use, get used to your "normal" research order, and figure out what types of weapons/equipment you like best (torpedooooooos), you learn to love it. I quickly pop in and mess with some designs here and there depending on what I need at that time. I prioritize updating the private sector because I can't loving control them and I want to make sure that they mine/move as much poo poo as possible, quickly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Also, definitely put Energy Collectors on your military ships. They tend to spend a lot of time just sitting around, and their static energy needs are so low that one collector will stop them from wasting fuel while idle. And I put a very high priority on Ultra Dense Fuel cells, those things are just amazing.

Omniblivion posted:

9) Intelligence agents/missions are currently broken. I have sent multiple "perfect" Intelligence agents on easy missions (steal territory map) and they are captured. There is talk on the Matrix games forum about how there is something wrong with the current intelligence missions, and I agree completely after my basic observation over 20+ games. So, it's not just you.

Well that's really good to know. I had been sending all my new agents on missions to steal maps from pirates, and basically all of them were getting captured despite having >85% chance of success. I had also read that you'd get your agents back if caught on those high-probability missions, but I was losing them all. I tried sending them against a regular empire and they were still caught and permanently removed from the game.

Speaking of which, is there any particularly good method for locating pirate bases, other than just watching which way they flee and holding a god damned ruler up to my screen? I'd love it if my exploration ships would just constantly patrol the systems around my borders, but they won't.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 14, 2014

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
So it wasn't just me. Was very frustrating to have my Keterov veteran superspy get captured over and over on the simplest missions, reload after reload.

PittTheElder posted:

Speaking of which, is there any particularly good method for locating pirate bases, other than just watching which way they flee and holding a god damned ruler up to my screen? I'd love it if my exploration ships would just constantly patrol the systems around my borders, but they won't.

You can steal their map data and then icons should appear on the map where their bases are located.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

So it wasn't just me. Was very frustrating to have my Keterov veteran superspy get captured over and over on the simplest missions, reload after reload.

You can steal their map data and then icons should appear on the map where their bases are located.

Also you commonly get location data on their bases if you board and capture some of their ships. I usually go for boardnig pods early as captured "high tech" ships can be retired for signifigant science and just bringing down their shields is a lot easier than killing them all when you're at low tech yourself.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Regarding derelict ships: is it somehow possible to stick a hyperdrive on those that have none when you find them?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nektu posted:

Regarding derelict ships: is it somehow possible to stick a hyperdrive on those that have none when you find them?

I don't think so. I tried to do this once, by opening the design, adding a hyperdrive, and saving it as a new one, but the option to retrofit the derelict did not appear, and I of course couldn't build them because of all the magic components I hadn't unlocked.

Caconym posted:

Also you commonly get location data on their bases if you board and capture some of their ships. I usually go for boardnig pods early as captured "high tech" ships can be retired for signifigant science and just bringing down their shields is a lot easier than killing them all when you're at low tech yourself.

Do you now? That's very good to know.

And yeah, retiring captured/derelict ships for tech is amazing, I don't even care if it's a size 1000 capital ship, it's hyperdrive probably sucks, and I'm going to retire that thing in a heartbeat.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

If I set ship design to not automated, will ships designs still update components to the latest? And will I still get prompts to retrofit?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DarkAvenger211 posted:

If I set ship design to not automated, will ships designs still update components to the latest? And will I still get prompts to retrofit?

Nope, you have to auto-upgrade the components yourself (either by manually upgrading the design or clicking 'auto-upgrade design', this won't set the design to be automatically taken over by the AI however, just auto-upgrade any parts that can be upgraded).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

They won't auto-update no. But all you have to do is go into the designs screen, select them all, hit Auto Upgrade. You might have to tweak them in the rare case they go over the weight limit though.

Also note this only upgrades components (ie it will replace Basic Armor with Advanced Armor and similar), but it won't add totally new components, like if you didn't already have Shields on a ship for example, it won't add them.

Not sure about the prompts to retrofit, it's pretty painless to do that yourself though. Jump into the Fleets window and hit Retrofit.

Things can get difficult if you try to branch one particular category of ship, which is why I just use each one for a specific role. IE Escorts for Capture, Frigates for Scanners, Destroyers for destroying, Capitals for Bombard, stuff like that.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I haven't figured out a way to get my explorers to constantly explore, which would be nice.

That said, I do eventually equip them with proximity scanners and manually place them around the map at a certain point. Then I can just leave them there and they automatically detect ships everywhere I care about, and they're not military so it doesn't piss off the locals.

Also; if you declare war on someone, your automated exploration ships do automatically go to the wardec system to scout it out. Pretty sweet, if you ask me. They need to expand that to happen all the time (specifically looking for those pesky pirate bases).

Completely unrelated, but choosing Quameno(sp?) feels like cheating. So many research bonuses, and every time I choose them, I start with an Ultra Genius scientist (20% additional all research bonus!!!).

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Omniblivion posted:

Completely unrelated, but choosing Quameno(sp?) feels like cheating. So many research bonuses, and every time I choose them, I start with an Ultra Genius scientist (20% additional all research bonus!!!).

I feel the same way about the Securans, the happiness bonus is pretty bonkers and means you can concentrate on whatever you want as an empire and your people could care less.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Omniblivion posted:

Here is a screenshot of how ridiculous this is. Year 2114.01.01 as Quameno:

edit:

To be fair, look at how loving ridiculous this system is. Yes, that is two debris sites AND a world destroyer site in the same system. Oh and two ultra rare resources. RNG?

Another edit- yes, spying is broken for sure. I've had two agents in a row just in this game that had 30%+ concealment try to steal territory maps at 90%+ and both were captured. I wish this poo poo wasn't broken because spying should be an integral part of this game.

Omniblivion fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 15, 2014

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Sometimes the RNG loves you, and sometimes... well, just go look at the Distant Worlds LP that's going on right now...

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

uber_stoat posted:

Sometimes the RNG loves you, and sometimes... well, just go look at the Distant Worlds LP that's going on right now...

I would argue that that is still tough love.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
A question about that screenshot: I was under the impression, that the research potential in the upper right is the maximum reseach total your empire can support at the current time, and that all actual output that goes over that is wasted.

True/False?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

uber_stoat posted:

There's a newer lp than grey hunter's? I couldn't find one, link please?

• Locked thread