Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Revol posted:

Ah well, it was birthday money. Easy come, easy go.

Perhaps I should go get a flat Lodge at Target and learn how to season it?

Everyone here has their own opinion, but it's pretty simple: It is a pan made out of iron. All I've ever had to do was buy a cast iron, whether it be Lodge or whatever (from Target, White House Black Market, etc) and coat it in a hot burning oil and throw it into high heat.

I've found one of mine at Marshall's (or maybe TJ Maxx?) that was Lodge and had slight imperfections, which doesn't really mean poo poo. All I did was coat it in flax oil and put it into my grill outside (upside down) at full blast heat, and it has been great for everything. We are all making this way harder than it needs to be.

If you have to get a scraper for stuff that give you carbon buildup, so be it. I get that if I am using the pan to broil a steak, but other than that a simple wipe down with a wet cloth after cooking will suffice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have a grill pan and it's really annoying to clean. Burnt stuff accumulates between the lines and you have to scrape them out with a chopstick. Also, a grill pan only gets you those nice browned areas where it makes contact on the lines, but a flat skillet will brown on a much larger contact area.

americong
May 29, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

I have a grill pan and it's really annoying to clean. Burnt stuff accumulates between the lines and you have to scrape them out with a chopstick. Also, a grill pan only gets you those nice browned areas where it makes contact on the lines, but a flat skillet will brown on a much larger contact area.

probably depends on what you're making, for some things (grilling fruit or maybe soft veggies) I would like the lines instead of the everything

I do love my flat pan though

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
These work pretty well

I have the set that is smooth on all sides and they work great. An old credit card would probably work just as well though.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
Holy poo poo! This took off in my absence... (sorry been traveling for the job I just lost...)

in my absence I have learned an absolute truth:

When dealing with cast Iron, Bacon fixes everything. Store the bacon grease in a mason jar, keep it in the fridge. After you clean your skillet, melt a spoon of bacon grease in it and rub it in with a paper towel, let it cool. My poo poo is non stick!

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I'm either really loving up or non-stick cast iron is a myth, because I've owned two pans now, one for over three years, and there is no way this poo poo is non-stick. And yeah, I've properly seasoned it, cooked bacon in it for years, etc., and there's just no way I can get an egg off this thing without a lot of scraping.

americong
May 29, 2013

BeanBandit posted:

I'm either really loving up or non-stick cast iron is a myth, because I've owned two pans now, one for over three years, and there is no way this poo poo is non-stick. And yeah, I've properly seasoned it, cooked bacon in it for years, etc., and there's just no way I can get an egg off this thing without a lot of scraping.

eggs seem to be a classic example of something teflon is honest to god better for

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Only way I've succeeded with eggs in cast iron is fried, slow, that way you're not letting it get hot enough to glue itself to the pan. I made eggs like that every morning basically for almost a year, worked great. If you wanna do them differently though, you might be SOL.

americong
May 29, 2013

Invisible Ted posted:

Only way I've succeeded with eggs in cast iron is fried, slow, that way you're not letting it get hot enough to glue itself to the pan. I made eggs like that every morning basically for almost a year, worked great. If you wanna do them differently though, you might be SOL.

I like frying other stuff in my cast iron, then letting the eggs fry in the remaining grease. I also don't like soft styles of egg very much, which helps.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

americong posted:

I like frying other stuff in my cast iron, then letting the eggs fry in the remaining grease. I also don't like soft styles of egg very much, which helps.

I'm pretty far on the opposite end of the egg spectrum, I'll even eat them if the whites are still a bit translucent, but that just shows you do still have that freedom in cast iron.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Everything but scrambled, egg-wise, works fine for me in my cast iron. And except the obvious ones like omelette/frittata. I do melt butter or grease in the pan first, even though my pans are well-seasoned. High heat or low heat doesn't seem to matter as far as sticking goes.

I've found that if I cook bacon and then immediately try and cook an egg, the egg will stick to the bacon residue that's stuck to the pan under the grease, so I scrape down my pan with a spatula to get that stuff to the side so that only grease remains. Why there's stuck bacon residue is beyond me... maybe sugar in the bacon?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

psychokitty posted:

Everything but scrambled, egg-wise, works fine for me in my cast iron. And except the obvious ones like omelette/frittata. I do melt butter or grease in the pan first, even though my pans are well-seasoned. High heat or low heat doesn't seem to matter as far as sticking goes.

I've found that if I cook bacon and then immediately try and cook an egg, the egg will stick to the bacon residue that's stuck to the pan under the grease, so I scrape down my pan with a spatula to get that stuff to the side so that only grease remains. Why there's stuck bacon residue is beyond me... maybe sugar in the bacon?

It's weird that bacon residue is the stickiest poo poo I end up with in my pan.

I just deep fry my eggs in a copious amounts of bacon grease anyway.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I make egg white omelets every morning and never have an issue with them sticking. I just use a small amount of olive oil cooking spray, come out perfect every time.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Okay, so I tried it again, and it came out much, much better. I added some bacon fat to the pan and then a bit of olive oil. I got it hotter than I usually do, and cracked an egg in. The edges crisped up quickly, and I flipped the egg earlier than I normally would. The egg came out very well. I think what I've learned is that you can't have too much fat in the pan when you're working with cast iron.

americong
May 29, 2013

BeanBandit posted:

Okay, so I tried it again, and it came out much, much better. I added some bacon fat to the pan and then a bit of olive oil. I got it hotter than I usually do, and cracked an egg in. The edges crisped up quickly, and I flipped the egg earlier than I normally would. The egg came out very well. I think what I've learned is that you can't have too much fat in the pan when you're working with cast iron.

depends on what you're doing, but for something touchy and residue-sensitive like eggs, probably

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Went camping for the holiday weekend, and brought a dutch oven and a cast iron skillet, and used them exclusively for cooking (other than boiling water). First night I used charcoal to cook sweet Italian sausage with peppers+onions, and after that said gently caress it and just used wood to cook everything. Food came out great, and the best part was that the pan I brought is the same one I use on the stovetop.

Breakfast was onions, potatoes, eggs and bacon in the dutch oven. Wish I had grabbed some photos but I was having too much fun cooking to bother with taking some.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
My 12" cast iron pan arrived today! I've been two years without one (why did I wait two years? stupidity), since my mother-in-law put my favorite pan in the world in the dishwasher and then put it in the wrong cabinet. It was plenty rusted over when I found it, then my wife threw it away before I could resurrect it...

But life begins anew!

I will season it tonight and tomorrow, fresh off a 10-day meatless diet, will cook a pound of bacon in it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I only own baking stones and not cookie sheets, so I covered my 12" cast iron pan in slices of bacon (which I cut in half) and put them in the oven for 20 minutes @ 400. Heard a little popping and cracking, and I put the pan on the stove on high for about 3 minute before putting it in the oven, but it came out great.

americong
May 29, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

I only own baking stones and not cookie sheets, so I covered my 12" cast iron pan in slices of bacon (which I cut in half) and put them in the oven for 20 minutes @ 400. Heard a little popping and cracking, and I put the pan on the stove on high for about 3 minute before putting it in the oven, but it came out great.

bacon and cast iron were, indeed, made for each other

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
OK, I'm very sad. I put the pan on the stove to get it heated up for burgers and by the time it was hot there was a big light grey circle in the middle of the pan the same size as the eye of the stove. it was like the seasoning just burned away in like 20 minutes. Should I just pop it in a 500 degree oven and start over with the seasoning or just cook over the top of it and trust it'll be ok eventually?

americong
May 29, 2013

Dr. Pangloss posted:

OK, I'm very sad. I put the pan on the stove to get it heated up for burgers and by the time it was hot there was a big light grey circle in the middle of the pan the same size as the eye of the stove. it was like the seasoning just burned away in like 20 minutes. Should I just pop it in a 500 degree oven and start over with the seasoning or just cook over the top of it and trust it'll be ok eventually?

You're way overthinking this. The seasoning might not be super thick yet or something. Just keep cooking stuff on it and the seasoning will get better.

Your huge piece of unfinished metal will be completely fine barring you introduce it to anything corrosive. Things might stick to it a little more for the time being but that is not a big deal in the slightest, assuming you have the right utensils for your burgs in the first place.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
Managed to get a 30cm/12' skillet with a WOODEN HANDLE. How the hell am I going to season this one?

americong
May 29, 2013

BastardAus posted:

Managed to get a 30cm/12' skillet with a WOODEN HANDLE. How the hell am I going to season this one?

Just cook greasy food in it. The seasoning will be less perfect than one done in an oven (or otherwise carefully done) but it'll work just fine.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
My skillet has the same sort of wear on the seasoning right smack in the middle of the pan thanks to an electric range. With the proper amount of oil in the pan nothing will stick to that part anyway, so don't worry much about it.

As for the wooden handle, there must be some way to remove it temporarily. Screws somewhere, maybe?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Pangloss posted:

That happens over high heat. I use mine at 800 degrees and always get that gray circle. Doesn't affect it's nonstick properties.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Woot currently has some Lodge cast iron for sale

http://home.woot.com/plus/lodge-cast-iron-for-freedom

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So I kind of neglected two of my cast iron pans for a while and decided this past saturday was time to clean them up. After a trip to home depot for a wire brush for my drill and a couple packs of sand paper, here are the results. spent the rest of the day seasoning them up on my grill. Really happy with how they came out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Can I used an enameled cast iron dutch oven as an actual dutch oven, ie set it on hot coals in the grown and put hot coals on the lid? Or will it gently caress something up?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Can I used an enameled cast iron dutch oven as an actual dutch oven, ie set it on hot coals in the grown and put hot coals on the lid? Or will it gently caress something up?

Just from anecdotal evidence I get the feeling that enamel isn't as sturdy to extreme heat as bare cast iron, so I wouldn't.

Besides, you want one of these camper dutch ovens, they have a rim to help keep the coals on:
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Camp-Du...iron+dutch+oven

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Just from anecdotal evidence I get the feeling that enamel isn't as sturdy to extreme heat as bare cast iron, so I wouldn't.

Besides, you want one of these camper dutch ovens, they have a rim to help keep the coals on:
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Camp-Du...iron+dutch+oven

It was just a dumb idea I had. I wanted to bury a pot of chili or something in the back yard but I think that would have pissed my stepdad off anyway.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Safety Dance posted:

Butter in a skillet. Medium heat. Wilt ya some spinach. Meanwhile, chop garlic.

Reserve spinach. Sautee garlic.

Scrape all the butter and garlic into a bowl. Open up a thing of fakey-fake pizza crust[0] and spread it over the skillet. Put the buttergarlic and spinach in there.

Cheese. Pepperoni.

More cheese, more pepperoni, fold the extra crust over the top, and apply more cheese.

Bake it in a 425 degree oven for 9 minutes, or a hair more if there's a Cycle Asylum post you want to finish writing.

I probably should have gone longer, maybe at a lower temp. The top crust was still a little raw.

[0] I want to make my own crust one of these days. At 6:00, my SO said she wanted some cast iron skillet pizza, and we were walking to the grocery store anyway, so we just bought a tube of pre-made Jewel-Osco brand dough.

Followed this recipe almost exactly... Turned out amazing. Every bite was eaten. Next time I would use more cheese, like you did, but I only had what was on hand.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Followed this recipe almost exactly... Turned out amazing. Every bite was eaten. Next time I would use more cheese, like you did, but I only had what was on hand.

Looks pretty fantastic as is!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Steve Yun posted:

I picked up a bamboo wok cleaner in Chinatown for $3.50. http://www.amazon.com/Wok-Shop-7-Cleaning-Whisk/dp/B00012F3WC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407300092&sr=8-2&keywords=bamboo+wok+cleaner

I was very surprised by how good a job it does compared to the brushes and scrapers in my arsenal. I'll have to pick up a grill pan like yours to see if it works as well on its little valleys.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I recently got a cast iron pan as a gift and I'm pretty excited but had some noobie questions. Particularly, what's the best oil (besides bacon fat) to season a pan with? The GWS wiki article on seasoning doesn't have any recommendations but I've read that safflower is good. Is that the general consensus on best oil to season with cast iron? Similarly, what's usually the best oil to use for high heat cooking?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

I recently got a cast iron pan as a gift and I'm pretty excited but had some noobie questions. Particularly, what's the best oil (besides bacon fat) to season a pan with? The GWS wiki article on seasoning doesn't have any recommendations but I've read that safflower is good. Is that the general consensus on best oil to season with cast iron? Similarly, what's usually the best oil to use for high heat cooking?

I use crisco. I find that vegetable oils that are liquid at room temp tend to get gummy if applied even a little too thick, but I never have this problem with crisco. I warm the pan a bit, then rub it down with a a paper towel that has crisco on it. You're just trying to put on enough crisco to get a sheen on the pan, if you can see any depth to the fat then it's on too thick. Then put it in a hot oven for a while. Let it cool a bit, then repeat.

High heat cooking: depends on how high the heat is. For normal high cooking temps, I like peanut oil. But grapeseed oil apparently has an even higher smoke point. But when I cook steaks, I try to get the pan up to 700 or so, and for that I don't use any fat (because it would smoke and get bitter), just put the steak in a dry pan. It will release once a crust forms.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

But when I cook steaks, I try to get the pan up to 700 or so, and for that I don't use any fat (because it would smoke and get bitter), just put the steak in a dry pan. It will release once a crust forms.
I don't know if it has any actual benefit, but I usually oil the steak instead of the pan. It's a holdover from when I was using stainless steel and oiling the whole pan left me with a sticky mess to clean up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bombhand posted:

I don't know if it has any actual benefit, but I usually oil the steak instead of the pan. It's a holdover from when I was using stainless steel and oiling the whole pan left me with a sticky mess to clean up.

I'm sure that would work better on high heat than oiling the pan because the steak can kind of act as a heat sink so the oil doesn't burn [as quickly].

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm sure that would work better on high heat than oiling the pan because the steak can kind of act as a heat sink so the oil doesn't burn [as quickly].

Yeah that's what you do when you blacken tuna (smear butter on the tuna steak) at screaming high heat. Not sure why I didn't think of that last time I did thin-ish ribeyes (two days ago!).

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Can anyone recommend a small (1.5-2.5qt) enameled saucepan that isn't made in China or India? I've been looking at this for a while -
Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Saucepan, 1 3/4-Quart
-But $160 is pretty steep. I have no experience with Le Creuset, is it worth the money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tramontira or however the gently caress you spell it has one for closer to $50

• Locked thread