Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

OK, so where did the dog on the right come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's a famous "world's ugliest dog" winner from years past. It died IIRC after a rather full and loving life under a caring owner, so that's good at least. I never did get the full story but yeah, the general impression is that the dog was purposefully kept ugly as possible.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

OK, so where did the dog on the right come from?
from right behind you!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

mind the walrus posted:

It's a famous "world's ugliest dog" winner from years past. It died IIRC after a rather full and loving life under a caring owner, so that's good at least. I never did get the full story but yeah, the general impression is that the dog was purposefully kept ugly as possible.

I don't see a lot you could do for that pooch apart from canine cosmetic surgery.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crayon art by Hoang Tran:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

I look at the dog, and what's gets me is the tooth and eye...I'd say 'damage' but I'm not sure whether it affected it's life. Could it see? Could it eat well? You've said it lived a full life. I hope so.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I think you can be blind with hosed-up teeth and still qualify as having a good life.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr. Squishy posted:

I think you can be blind with hosed-up teeth and still qualify as having a good life.

Sam's owner found him at the pound and fell in love with him and pampered him like crazy for the rest of his life. He ate gourmet food and never drank anything except bottled water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbhPUVRQykc
He died in 2005 at the ripe old age of 15.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Drifter posted:

It's a goddamn face. How did it take me a day to realize this?

Also the people there are the same race as Medphyll, the plant Green Lantern.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He's in that issue, isn't he?

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

He's in that issue, isn't he?

He sure is.

Sidenote: these old Alan Moore issues really love those weird optical illusion lookin patterns. They're everywhere in them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That was especially true during the "SWAMP THING IN DEEP SPACE" arc that was going on during this issue these pages are posted from. There's one issue where Swamp Thing is essentially raped by a weird techno-organic thing in space because they're somewhat biologically compatible to reproduce, and the art looks gorgeously trippy and abstract.

Seriously if you don't like the Alan Moore Swamp Thing run in its entirety you can go straight to hell. Even the weaker issues hold up remarkably well aside from some iffy 80s coloring problems like bright solid color backgrounds. I still hope they never do a recolor though, or at least a very minor recolor to fix issues like said backgrounds and not a total overhaul that turns the bright color palette into muted garbage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The entire Moore run of Swamp Thing is gold, but the space stuff near the end is some of Moore's best work, bar none.

mind the walrus posted:

I still hope they never do a recolor though, or at least a very minor recolor to fix issues like said backgrounds and not a total overhaul that turns the bright color palette into muted garbage.

Keep dreaming.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Was watching a pretty good superhero documentary on Netflix and they showed the panel on the right:

That's supposed to be Obama, and I assume that Spider-Man is supposed to be human.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Why the hell is it that when non-comic reading folk need to get pages of comics they always seem to find the doofiusest-looking examples?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Professor Wayne posted:

Was watching a pretty good superhero documentary on Netflix and they showed the panel on the right:

That's supposed to be Obama, and I assume that Spider-Man is supposed to be human.
Was he shot in the forehead?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

redbackground posted:

Was he shot in the forehead?

No that was a different president.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

That was especially true during the "SWAMP THING IN DEEP SPACE" arc that was going on during this issue these pages are posted from. There's one issue where Swamp Thing is essentially raped by a weird techno-organic thing in space because they're somewhat biologically compatible to reproduce, and the art looks gorgeously trippy and abstract.

Seriously if you don't like the Alan Moore Swamp Thing run in its entirety you can go straight to hell. Even the weaker issues hold up remarkably well aside from some iffy 80s coloring problems like bright solid color backgrounds. I still hope they never do a recolor though, or at least a very minor recolor to fix issues like said backgrounds and not a total overhaul that turns the bright color palette into muted garbage.

One of the highlights both artwise and storywise is the sex scene between Abby and the Swamp Thing:

But I think that Swamp Thing in space is the weakest part of series (especially the Adam Strange story) because Alan Moore was preoccupied whith writing other stuff (like Watchmen) and it shows.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 10, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hah I never noticed the star-nosed mole until today. Got to love that use of obscure animals.

And yeah you could post almost any pages of the entire "sex" sequence and they'd fit into this thread.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Professor Wayne posted:

Huh. At least they're showing, rather than the 'completely shadowed on a clear day' trick.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bloodly posted:

Huh. At least they're showing, rather than the 'completely shadowed on a clear day' trick.

They only pull that stuff when the president's being lovely. This was some goofy "we know Obama's a comic nerd, let's cash in on it" one-shot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Professor Wayne posted:

So that's what Ghost Rider would look like if he put on the spidey mask.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Professor Wayne posted:

President Obama is pals with dangerous criminal vigilantes. Special expert J. Jonah Jameson to explain why the president terrorist fist bumps public menace. Next on Fox News.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

President Obama is pals with dangerous criminal vigilantes. Special expert J. Jonah Jameson to explain why the president terrorist fist bumps public menace. Next on Fox News.

Chameleon showed up to the inauguration as Obama because he thought if he got sworn in while pretending to be Obama then he would become the president. Unfortunately for him, Obama was already there (and Spiderman).

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Chameleon showed up to the inauguration as Obama because he thought if he got sworn in while pretending to be Obama then he would become the president. Unfortunately for him, Obama was already there (and Spiderman).

That issue would have been really good if they played it like a Spidey Super Stories issue. Could have had Allred do the art or something.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

zoux posted:

There's a Marvel Two In One where Thing's plan to save president-elect Jimmy Carter from assassination is to have Impossible Man stand in for him, which he does throughout the swearing in process. So I think he's technically president.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Senor Candle posted:

That issue would have been really good if they played it like a Spidey Super Stories issue. Could have had Allred do the art or something.

Those super stories sure didn't have Allred level art.

The Obama issue is great because it's a terrible and rushed 4 pages or so of Peter and Obama talking but it's only the back up while the main issue is a really good one shot based on Peter and Betty Brant's relationship. Marvel got hundreds of thousands of people to buy a quiet relationship drama issue focused of Spider-Man.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

That's not how you're supposed to hold a rifle, doofus.

socalled
Sep 2, 2011

Yes, but you'll never get it.
New Avengers Annual #1, art by Marco Rudy

Nothing will get me to read New Avengers but this is quite lovely.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That is gorgeous. I love it when artists go hog wild for Strange.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Alhazred posted:

One of the highlights both artwise and storywise is the sex scene between Abby and the Swamp Thing:

But I think that Swamp Thing in space is the weakest part of series (especially the Adam Strange story) because Alan Moore was preoccupied whith writing other stuff (like Watchmen) and it shows.

Not gonna lie, it took me some time before I even got that they had sex. I thought that was the whole point of Abby eating Swamp things weird fruit.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hellbunny posted:

Not gonna lie, it took me some time before I even got that they had sex.

To be fair, even Abby have to ask after they're finished.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

socalled posted:

New Avengers Annual #1, art by Marco Rudy

Nothing will get me to read New Avengers but this is quite lovely.

I thought NA was supposed to be good now?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

I thought NA was supposed to be good now?

It is very good (in my opinion one of Marvel's best books ATM), but some people here really don't like Hickman.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mind the walrus posted:

That is gorgeous. I love it when artists go hog wild for Strange.

I want Bill Sienkiewicz doing Dr. Strange so much. :allears:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hakkesshu posted:

It is very good (in my opinion one of Marvel's best books ATM), but some people here really don't like Hickman.

The annual wasn't written by Hickman, and stands on it's own, so there's no excuse for not reading it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It's not a comic but Bernie Wrightson is or was a comic book artist and I finally got his illustrated Frankenstein for my birthday. Good lord is his art great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

It's not a comic but Bernie Wrightson is or was a comic book artist and I finally got his illustrated Frankenstein for my birthday. Good lord is his art great.

I mean if you're willing to squeeze it under the broad definition of sequential art, I'd say it's one of my favorite comics of all time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I really, really like Phil Noto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, he's awesome. I wish he was on a better book, though. Black Widow is super pretty, but the writing is largely forgettable.