Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

PublicOpinion posted:

Apparently yep, that's exactly what it does.

Hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Can anyone explain the new military to me? I can't figure out how to make my dwarves actually use the weapons I tell them to. They are carrying crossbows and ammunition, they are training with them. Then I tell them to attack a target, and they immediately drop their weapons and charge in unarmed, promptly getting themselves killed. I can't figure out what I need to do to make them actually fight properly.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Is it true that Toady added the possibility of non-heterosexual units with the addition of an [ORIENTATION] tag in the last update? :aaaaa:

I'm guessing it's mainly to allow races with e.g. three sexes in a rock-paper-scissors configuration: Sex A and B together produce sex C kids, sex A and C together produce sex B kids, and sex B and C together produce sex A kids. Maybe. Or other kinds of asymmetric sexuality.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

So I've just started playing again on .34 while waiting for therapist to update, but I'm having an impossible time trying to get both iron ores and flux stone in the same embark regardless of how I set up worldgen. I know that I should aim for sedimentary layers but I'm not quite sure how to reliably find them. Does anyone have any advice?

^^ edit: I can't wait to see half-halfling half-umber hulk hybrids from straight outta Bastards & Bloodlines. :v: ^^

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 14, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Toady is merely replacing obsolete placeholder plugs with a universal adapter.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Ignore the flux finder, in fact stop actively looking for flux and focus on the iron. There's a good chance that the deep metamorphic strata is bursting with marble no matter where you look.

nielsm posted:

I'm guessing it's mainly to allow races with e.g. three sexes in a rock-paper-scissors configuration: Sex A and B together produce sex C kids, sex A and C together produce sex B kids, and sex B and C together produce sex A kids. Maybe. Or other kinds of asymmetric sexuality.

That would require some sort of system or token that'd declare what castes of children the mother can have. It's been well established that there is nothing like that now.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

nielsm posted:

It's really there so that on top of everything else that is a little skeevy about Succubus forts, they can all be lesbians now too.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Azhais posted:

It's really there so that on top of everything else that is a little skeevy about Succubus forts, they can all be lesbians now too.

I don't know, as someone who isn't heterosexual I really couldn't give less of a poo poo about what mods do with it. I'm just glad that Toady got to it before he felt the need to simulate phlegm, spinal fluid, and an intricate system for splicing trees together to make hybrids, but I suppose others might disagree. :shrug:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Azhais posted:

I wonder if orientation is respected in worldgen too? In that case, an all-gay civilisation would never survive more than one generation.

Toady explained it in the new Future Of The Fortress thread. It was originally for the sake of your adventurers once they retire so that they can lead their own lives, but he never got round to implementing a dialog that lets you choose their orientation so it just applies to NPCs. Each caste can have its own distribution of orientation, but it's only in terms of gender. The orientation tag is the distribution of probability for "disinterested", "willing to romance" and "willing to commit".

This means I can finally make a society of ant-men in which only the queen and drones reproduce while not making the workers genderless! I can just set the workers' orientations to be disinterested in everyone (or at least disinterested in the men. I guess having the occasional worker ants falling in love with each other could be kind of cute.)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Can any of the major races have gay members? Or is the tag species-wide?

^ Well, that's answered ^

... I can't wait to make PrideMarches the rainbow-colored pride fortress.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just love how metal this game is.

quote:

In a time before time, Urrith aided the blind devil Bengal Itchpanted the Calluses of Cavorting in becoming a permanent part of the living world that war might rage forever.

Now I have to find out who this Urrith is because (s)he's been binding demons to the mortal realm left and right.

e:

quote:

Urrith was a deity that occured in the myths of the Complex Cudgel. Urrith was most often depicted as a female dwarf and was associated with suicide, war, death, and fortresses.

:black101:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 14, 2014

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

scamtank posted:

You should know by now that I'm riding this string patcher bronco as far as it will take me.

Here's the deal: all of those "This object is", "This is" and "On the item is" bits are separate strings. All you need to do is to add a line break token in front of each one, like so:

code:
Dwarf Fortress Legible
|It is a|[B]It is a|
|The item |[B]The item |
|On the item |[B]On the item |
|It is |[B]It is |
|The handle is made from |[B]The handle is made from |
|This object |[B]This object |
|The thread is |[B]The thread is |
|The slab reads "|[B]The slab reads "|
Save that text mess as an .lng file and let dfint.exe have its way with it to implant the changes. You can change colors, too.

You could also try putting the [B] in the slab description in front of the quotation marks instead, so the "The slab reads" comes directly after the immediate item name and the memorial starts on its own line.

e: I should probably start linking to the actual utility so people won't have to extrude the whole Masterwork package to get their hands on it:
https://bitbucket.org/dfint/df-i18n/downloads

Is this working with the latest version or only the prior release? I am on my phone right now so I cannot check for myself.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Azhais posted:

At first I thought you were being homophobic but then I realized what you meant and felt dumb.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

GenericOverusedName posted:

Is this working with the latest version or only the prior release? I am on my phone right now so I cannot check for myself.

Everything forever. As long as you know that the string you're trying to modify is actually there and not subtly changed with a big release, it works.

And I've had WinMerge open on the two versions' string dumps for a good bit of the past week, so I can safely say that those ones haven't gone anywhere.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

Hihohe posted:

I found this sweet little video about a fort. Very :black101:

http://youtu.be/is1wSwdaM2w

The BGM in that is so fitting for playing DF which leads to my question, do you listen to music while playing and what do you listen to? Usually I just try to find some brooding classical music on Shoutcast, but that tends to be a crapshoot.

In fact that video was so atmospheric that it made me start a new fort. Then I find magnetite while diggin my main staircase so naturally my forts walls are going to be built from iron. Might take awhile with only sparse trees to fuel my ironworks, but a moat is keeping me safe during that. At least I hope so.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scamtank posted:

Everything forever. As long as you know that the string you're trying to modify is actually there and not subtly changed with a big release, it works.

And I've had WinMerge open on the two versions' string dumps for a good bit of the past week, so I can safely say that those ones haven't gone anywhere.

LNP for 34.11 r5 needs to update with all of the TwbT and this new string thing and everything.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

scamtank posted:

Ignore the flux finder, in fact stop actively looking for flux and focus on the iron. There's a good chance that the deep metamorphic strata is bursting with marble no matter where you look.

Well I've started to do that but more more apparently problem is actually finding iron - I can't even seem to be able to get iron anvils on the embark screen which leads me to believe that my worlds might be devoid of iron entirely.

(though I can seem to order pig iron bars?)

edit: i did some checking with DFHack's prospect tool and site after site is nothing but galena, native gold, and tetrahedrite. :(

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

That's an unfortunate gap in economics. If a civilization is permitted to use an alloy-smelting reaction, it will always have access to the end product, even if there's no ingredients to go around.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

TehKeen posted:

So I've just started playing again on .34 while waiting for therapist to update, but I'm having an impossible time trying to get both iron ores and flux stone in the same embark regardless of how I set up worldgen. I know that I should aim for sedimentary layers but I'm not quite sure how to reliably find them. Does anyone have any advice?

scamtank posted:

To wit: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5732

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

scamtank posted:

That's an unfortunate gap in economics. If a civilization is permitted to use an alloy-smelting reaction, it will always have access to the end product, even if there's no ingredients to go around.

Does this mean my world is iron-less? :shobon:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My girlfriend told me we were out of gas, and I responded "It is terrifying."

Then I had to explain why I said that.

:(

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

TehKeen posted:

Does this mean my world is iron-less? :shobon:

Certainly the areas claimed by your mother civilization, but who knows! Probably not.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I don't know, as someone who isn't heterosexual I really couldn't give less of a poo poo about what mods do with it. I'm just glad that Toady got to it before he felt the need to simulate phlegm, spinal fluid, and an intricate system for splicing trees together to make hybrids, but I suppose others might disagree. :shrug:

Yes, but this is Toady. Now he's going to have to integrate that with the ethics system and we're going to end up with bugs where an entire species is doomed to extinction because [ORIENTATION_HETEROSEXUAL] has the tag [PUNISH_CAPITAL]. Actually, now that I think about it, that's pretty hilarious. Never mind. :allears:

Turtlicious posted:

Should've went with "It was inevitable."

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

scamtank posted:

Certainly the areas claimed by your mother civilization, but who knows! Probably not.

Oh, I see, probably since I'm running on very short history my parent civ is likely tiny.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Turtlicious posted:

Sever, then fly off in an arc!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Assuming that 40.04 won't break saves, I will start the DF14 succession fort tomorrow-ish.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Danny Glands posted:

Assuming that 40.04 won't break saves, I will start the DF14 succession fort tomorrow-ish.

Patience, patience. Wait until there's a week without any new major gamebreaking bugs reported. The worst ending to an LP is a crash to desktop.

Don't count on Toady preserving save compatibility until this happens.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Fortress mode still not worth playing until they fix:

A. The Brewing bug
B. The Passive hostile NPC bug

Maybe more, those were the ones I noticed were game-ruining.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Brewing bug?

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6784

Somehow related to this. I know I had plenty of brewable items, including the new plants, but the option was redded out in the Still.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Did they ever make it so that if you capture something in a cage you can transport the full cage to a merchant trader and sell it with the captive/animal still inside?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

TasmanianX posted:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6784

Somehow related to this. I know I had plenty of brewable items, including the new plants, but the option was redded out in the Still.

Toady One posted:

Haven't had trouble brewing out of barrels, so it isn't a general reaction problem. Save 8892 is 150 bytes, save 8910 needs to extend the burrow over the barrels, then it worked. In save 8878, I got it to work sometimes, but it looks like your only plant barrel is being snatched off for farm work in between drink jobs, so they keep cancelling. That's sort of a dwarves-are-stupid hauling priorities AI issue, but it should sort itself out when you get some more supplies, hopefully.

Looks like perfectly normal fortress idiocy to me. Have you tried assigning the brew job through a manager yet? That sometimes unravels deadlocks like this.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Dang. Those bugs are looking to be very bad showstoppers. How about the suicidal tree-climbing dwarf bug?

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

Danny Glands posted:

Dang. Those bugs are looking to be very bad showstoppers. How about the suicidal tree-climbing dwarf bug?

That's an awesome bug and I didn't get to see it once. Probably because all the undead that would have scared my dwarves into trees decided to freeze at the map edge and not move.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
[ORIENTATION_SHEEP]
:getin:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
^^^ Finally DF will simulate the realities of life on a farm.

So I am wandering around outside of a human hamlet at night and what do I happen to find? A dwarven vampire chasing down a pack of wild turkeys. After laughing for a solid half-minute at the mental picture of my bewildered swordmaster stumbling onto the comical scene I do what any sane person would do: while the vampire's busy nomming on some turkey blood I rush the vampire and run it through the abdomen twice, killing it. Then I butcher it's corpse and proceed to cook up some dwarf-meat.

Now, I know that drinking vampire blood will make me a vampire, but what about eating vampire chunks? Does it have the same effect?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I hope the [ORIENTATION] tag allows monogendered creatures to reproduce so they don't die out in world gen. I'm willing to forgive Toady for this idiotic gait system if the other new tags let you do cool stuff and aren't near impossible to decipher.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Kennel posted:

[ORIENTATION_SHEEP]
:getin:

I think modding in the Welsh might be a bit beyond df atm. :v:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I hope the [ORIENTATION] tag allows monogendered creatures to reproduce so they don't die out in world gen. I'm willing to forgive Toady for this idiotic gait system if the other new tags let you do cool stuff and aren't near impossible to decipher.

Just you wait what he'll come up with for the job priority system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Has the bug where dwarves haul an entire 40 ton box full of poo poo down to the depths of the fortress to pick up a single -obsidian mug- before taking the bin back up to the stockpile only to drop it for a half second before picking it up again because they realized there was also a =basalt ring= beside the mug been fixed since 40.01?