Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

moana posted:

Oh cool, hadn't thought about giving the credit away as gift cards. That would actually be an awesome idea, maybe I'll do little handmade gifts along with a gift card. And I will be needing to buy a new computer later this year, I didn't even think about that. Well, that'll probably take care of the $1200 :) Thanks for the ideas!

Would you be interested in being the middle-"man" on some international transactions?

For example, Amazon.com has great prices and selection on grow lights that aren't available on .ca, could I pay you to order the lights and ship them along to me? There's no reason AFAIK why that would be a problem with customs.

I know that I'd stand to save like 50% of the value of the light so marking it up 25% not including shipping would still leave me with a pretty sweet deal. And there are tons of products like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folly
May 26, 2010

moana posted:

Given that I don't really buy things off Amazon...

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Would you be interested in being the middle-"man" on some international transactions?

For example, Amazon.com has great prices and selection on grow lights that aren't available on .ca, could I pay you to order the lights and ship them along to me? There's no reason AFAIK why that would be a problem with customs.

I know that I'd stand to save like 50% of the value of the light so marking it up 25% not including shipping would still leave me with a pretty sweet deal. And there are tons of products like that.

Do it. Help tuyop grow BASIL.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
I'm going back to Scotland in November for my master's graduation and a bit of a holiday. Looking at $1000 for the flight, $1000 for airbnb for ~20 nights, plus whatever else I'll spend on soccer tickets, a bit of travel, nights in the pub, etc. I'll be booking the airbnb once I get my next semi-monthly paycheque (~$1200 net), and then my flight later in the month. I've got ~$3600 coming in sometime in the next 3 weeks from a freelance web design project, and I've budgeted ~$600 in my YNAB "travel" category so far, but I'm just dreading seeing my "Spending Trends" chart break the $1000 mark. I've got a 6-month emergency fund, contribute 10% + 50% company match to my RRSP, 2k in index ETFs, and up to this point have been aggressively paying down student loans that are currently about 50% of my gross salary. My net worth is still in the red.

I know it won't break the bank, and I'm super excited to go back to a country I love, especially for graduation, but it's still hard to convince myself it's ok to spend money I have. Experiences > things, right...?

Grouco fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 13, 2014

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

tuyop posted:

When I lived in Canada I had to pay a customs tax on international shipments, do you not have to do that? Let me see if I still have any credit left after my computer purchase and I'll get back to you on that!

Folly posted:

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.
Come on, this is BFC, I don't actually ever spend money ;)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

moana posted:

When I lived in Canada I had to pay a customs tax on international shipments, do you not have to do that? Let me see if I still have any credit left after my computer purchase and I'll get back to you on that!

Come on, this is BFC, I don't actually ever spend money ;)

It depends. I think it's usually handled on the seller' send somehow. But even with customs tax it's still probably going to be better.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
CBSA lets a lot of stuff slide, especially if it's sent USPS.

Grow lamps though, they probably will take notice.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

moana posted:

Oh cool, hadn't thought about giving the credit away as gift cards. That would actually be an awesome idea, maybe I'll do little handmade gifts along with a gift card. And I will be needing to buy a new computer later this year, I didn't even think about that. Well, that'll probably take care of the $1200 :) Thanks for the ideas!
I usually buy my harddrives on Amazon (haven't built a whole comp in a *while*) as well as PSU's, and I've shopped video cards there before, but NewEgg had the better rebates (I was going for Uber cheap that plays 1080p via HDMI). You'll be able to use it in the course of a year.

tuyop posted:

You closet pot-grower, you.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

You closet pot-grower, you.
No, no, it's BASIL.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

moana posted:

Check out the PC building megathread SHSC if you are feeling frisky enough to build, there is an excellent OP and unless you're doing a whacky edge-case type build, it's pretty straight forward picking your parts.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, I was actually just skimming through that one. I built my own computer in college and am definitely thinking about doing it again, I've been getting free laptops from my work to use and just using those but now I'm quitting so I gotta get my own..

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

moana posted:

Yeah, I was actually just skimming through that one. I built my own computer in college and am definitely thinking about doing it again, I've been getting free laptops from my work to use and just using those but now I'm quitting so I gotta get my own..

I'm planning on building one fairly soon as well. If you're not gaming you can save a good chunk of change since the haswell processors have integrated graphics that are completely acceptable. Assuming you're not playing 3D intensive games, you could get a really capable machine for ~$600-700 and put a nice chunk towards a really nice monitor/monitors etc.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm planning on building one fairly soon as well. If you're not gaming you can save a good chunk of change since the haswell processors have integrated graphics that are completely acceptable. Assuming you're not playing 3D intensive games, you could get a really capable machine for ~$600-700 and put a nice chunk towards a really nice monitor/monitors etc.

I bought a pink Asus laptop for my wife for $350 from woot, and it has been awesome. I'm surprised at how nice the screen is, and how fast it operates. Of course, this is mainly for schoolwork and skype, but there is no need to spend that much on a computer nowadays.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

Yeah, the most processing power I use is for Photoshop, so that sounds good. If you get yours picked out, could you message me the parts you ended up choosing? I'm probably not going to do mine until after all of the wedding stuff is done. Nocheez, which Asus did you get?

Speaking of wedding stuff, I have been spending more money!
$20 for a veil
$400 for the dress fitting and pressing (silk is fkin expensive to press out wrinkles! Keep in mind if you're buying online and having it shipped, future wedding people!) I hope to recoup some of the cost by reselling my dress afterward - it costs $5k new, so hopefully I don't spill barbecue sauce on it and can sell it to someone for a few hundred dollars. Not counting on it, though.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

moana posted:

Nocheez, which Asus did you get?

This one:
http://electronics.woot.com/offers/asus-15-6-dual-core-i3-laptop-7

I looked it up, and it was $330 + $5 for shipping.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Nocheez posted:

I bought a pink Asus laptop for my wife for $350 from woot, and it has been awesome. I'm surprised at how nice the screen is, and how fast it operates. Of course, this is mainly for schoolwork and skype, but there is no need to spend that much on a computer nowadays.

:can: The following is opinion and not meant to cause an argument.

Moana, I'm not sure if you'd be writing on this PC as well or not, but hanging your livelihood on a $400 laptop is not something I'd recommend.

I'd say if you don't need a laptop, just get a PC, preferably build one if you're able. You can pick quality parts that are less likely to fail, and if something does go wrong it will be much easier to replace. If you absolutely want a laptop, go with a lenovo thinkpad or something "business class". They're very well engineered and take a beating. I'm a "computer guy", though I thankfully graduated out of the helpdesk arena, but the number of people that still come to me asking about their laptops frightens me. Unless you're buying something premium, they're pretty much disposable.

moana posted:

Yeah, the most processing power I use is for Photoshop, so that sounds good. If you get yours picked out, could you message me the parts you ended up choosing? I'm probably not going to do mine until after all of the wedding stuff is done.

Yea I'm a few months away myself but I'll keep you posted, how's the house situation coming along?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Great news!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

So, update:

I put in my two week notice at my old job at the end of June. The following week I have a meeting with the big boss of the building who says he's gonna put me on the workforce reduction plan and I haven't heard much about it since then.

Today I get a call from my old boss telling me that there's some kind of layoff period where you get to try to find a new job with the company (lol) and at the end of it, which will be around the 24th, is my termination date, after which I will "receive payment for an amount equivalent to 60 days of your base pay and 60 days of benefits."

And I loving quit my job. Work Crew success story?

:woop:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
loving WIN!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

CONGRATS!! That is the best possible scenario!

dreesemonkey posted:

Moana, I'm not sure if you'd be writing on this PC as well or not, but hanging your livelihood on a $400 laptop is not something I'd recommend.
Yeah, I use a Lenovo 430i now for work and the only thing I hate is the placement of the freaking Ctrl key. I'm leaning towards doing a desktop build myself for my photoshop stuff and Skype and general computering and then getting a cheapo laptop or tablet just for the "typing words in a coffeeshop" part of what I do. I backup my writing on the cloud in any case.

quote:

Yea I'm a few months away myself but I'll keep you posted, how's the house situation coming along?
Considering renting it on the cheap to a coworker, she is super nice and reliable and it would be better than leaving it empty. Honestly though I'm really focused on wedding poo poo now, and if we do sell it won't be until after the wedding anyway, so that's on the back burner.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There's a way to gently caress around in the bios on Lenovo think pads to flip FN and CTRL, that might help.

In other news, job interview tomorrow!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

There's a way to gently caress around in the bios on Lenovo think pads to flip FN and CTRL, that might help.

Yep. It's a really easy to get to option too.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

moana posted:

getting a cheapo laptop or tablet just for the "typing words in a coffeeshop" part of what I do.

Not sure what program you use for writing, but consider a chromebook for the mobile part if it's compatible.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I spent 200 dollars on the cheapest chromebook on Amazon about a month ago and have been pretty impressed with it. Unfortunately, you have to use Google Docs but that doesn't really bother me and I have a PC at home for when I need those extra tools. The only annoyance is that you have to set up offline access before you leave the house or you won't be able to open your docs to work on them. Definitely a pain in the rear end if you just want to take it to a coffee shop and not log in to the wifi. Otherwise, they're super lightweight and the keyboard feels good. Some people claim they're cheaply made and prone to break, though, so I would take that into consideration if you're rough on your portable electronics.

If you need access to photoshop for making book covers and things of that nature, I would avoid a chromebook. It's what I wanted because all I can do on it is light internet browsing and writing. I have a PC for everything else but find writing on it too distracting.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Grumpwagon posted:

Not sure what program you use for writing, but consider a chromebook for the mobile part if it's compatible.
I use Scrivener to write, but I'll be asking my author friends what they recommend since avoiding any more carpal tunnel problems is a priority and some keyboards just feel like poo poo.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

moana posted:

Yeah, the most processing power I use is for Photoshop, so that sounds good. If you get yours picked out, could you message me the parts you ended up choosing? I'm probably not going to do mine until after all of the wedding stuff is done. Nocheez, which Asus did you get?
This just showed up on HN today: http://pangoly.com/en/

No idea if it's any good, but it sure looks nifty!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I've been living paycheck to paycheck (sort of) for about a month now and it sucks.

edit: Basically I'm in a situation where I have to check and make sure I have enough money in my checking account to pay the bills. Most of my savings is invested and I don't want to touch that unless I have to. I also had to use most of my cash emergency fund as a down payment on my new house.

The good news is the old house should close in a week so things will go back to normal soon, actually better than normal.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 21, 2014

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

My friends asked me to house and pet sit for them for a week while they're doing fun things.

They left me $100! Score.

It works out nicely because I'm also moving this week. So at least I can come back to a clean place at night while my apartment is a mess of boxes and whatnot.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
A week?! We charge 40/day/pet and 20/addtl. And if it's out of the way from home, it goes up.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

They're my friends, I would have done it for free!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Look, this is BFC. We don't have friends, we have revenue streams.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, have you considered the opportunity cost of this pet/house sitting gig? You're literally losing thousands of dollars :negative:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

spinst posted:

My friends asked me to house and pet sit for them for a week while they're doing fun things.

They left me $100! Score.

It works out nicely because I'm also moving this week. So at least I can come back to a clean place at night while my apartment is a mess of boxes and whatnot.

Sucker.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I bet you helped them move their poo poo for free too you colossal rube

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes, have you considered the opportunity cost of this pet/house sitting gig? You're literally losing thousands of dollars :negative:

If he spends 12 hours a day there for 7 days, that's 84 hours. If you value your free time at $50 an hour, that's $4200! Invest that and compound that at a conservative 7% return and you get $22,795.22 after 25 years!

Clearly, these people are not your friends.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Nail Rat posted:

If he spends 12 hours a day there for 7 days, that's 84 hours. If you value your free time at $50 an hour, that's $4200! Invest that and compound that at a conservative 7% return and you get $22,795.22 after 25 years!

Clearly, these people are not your friends.
LMAO!! Awesome post.

I help my closest friends move for free. They do the same for me (I'm also a gimp with a fractured vertebra and herniation). We also don't own a ton of poo poo yet... Anyone else, F that! Cash, rear end or grass, ain't nothin in life fo free.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
:sigh: I lost 80 dollars in cash the other day. I really need to get into the better habit of putting my money in my wallet instead of my pocket. On the other hand, I got nearly ten hours of overtime so my next check will sort of make up for the dumb mistake.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Transmogrifier posted:

:sigh: I lost 80 dollars in cash the other day. I really need to get into the better habit of putting my money in my wallet instead of my pocket. On the other hand, I got nearly ten hours of overtime so my next check will sort of make up for the dumb mistake.

I am the only person I know who regularly takes walks for a break at work. One day while walking I found a twenty dollar bill. I didn't see anyone else around, but I kept an eye open for someone looking for missing money. A few minutes later, I found another twenty. I still never saw anyone around, walking or driving.

I took my wife out for dinner that night. Thanks, careless person, for dropping your money and not even going back for it!

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Transmogrifier posted:

On the other hand you will maybe find this cash when doing laundry sometime in the future, long after you have forgotten about it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

nickutz posted:

On the other hand you will maybe find this cash when doing laundry sometime in the future, long after you have forgotten about it.

Having missed out on the ability to invest this money, he'll still have lost value :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Nail Rat posted:

Having missed out on the ability to invest this money, he'll still have lost value :negative:

Additionally, several weeks of inflation will reduce the buying power of the dollars.