Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I believe it's how the little girl in The Exorcist gets possessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Just feel lucky y'all weren't in college during the swing craze of the turn of the millennium.

The gently caress backwoods rock did you live under. Swing revival was sooooo 1997.

e: also I feel sorry for you dorks who had to endure Christian ska. At least in the early 90s if you wanted Jebus in your music you had Mortification:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhQZGJTgmq0

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

razorrozar posted:

No wonder the missionaries travel in packs.
This is for-real the reason. It helps them to "resist temptation."

On another note, I worked a Reel Big Fish show in college (2004ish); those guys were really nice.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

comes along bort posted:

The gently caress backwoods rock did you live under. Swing revival was sooooo 1997.

e: also I feel sorry for you dorks who had to endure Christian ska. At least in the early 90s if you wanted Jebus in your music you had Mortification:

:stare:
"Megilloth" is literally "scrolls" in Hebrew. That is literally "scrolls of the scrolls".

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:stare:
"Megilloth" is literally "scrolls" in Hebrew. That is literally "scrolls of the scrolls".

The band name literally means "embarrassment".

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Did anyone else have parents that weren't religious but were very uptight about sex? I could play magic cards, vidya games and utter demonic chants while sitting in a candlelit room with a pentagram all day but showing any interest in girls would always send them into a panic.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

XyloJW posted:

The band name literally means "embarrassment".

I think there's a Christian concept called Mortification, though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

comes along bort posted:

Mortification were pretty great. The rare Christian band that could survive outside the Jesus music ecosystem.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Gaahl is gay and this video proves that homosexuality is satanic. Hail satan!

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
My parents worked on Sundays so I missed out on all of these sweet Christian jams

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cercadelmar posted:

My parents worked on Sundays so I missed out on all of these sweet Christian jams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa6kplL3wjk

That's how they cooled down a rad worship sesh before they brought it back up to 11 with "Our God is an Awesome God" with the hand motions and everything.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

razorrozar posted:

I think there's a Christian concept called Mortification, though.

It works on both levels y'see.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Er, you guys realize that ska happened without any intervention from white teenagers right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqfcZk7Eo7U

Also somebody linked Steely Dan, have Chuck Rainey re-cutting Josie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7odKcOMDpk

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 14, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

Er, you guys realize that ska happened without any intervention from white teenagers right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqfcZk7Eo7U

I thought the general consensus was that white teenagers ruined it, thought? :confused:

Speaking of gay and music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCZvYXwBlkk

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Pope Guilty posted:

Mortification were pretty great. The rare Christian band that could survive outside the Jesus music ecosystem.

Yeah they were one of the few legit ones. Tourniquet had their moments too. The first couple Living Sacrifice albums weren't terrible either.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 14, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SedanChair posted:

Also somebody linked Steely Dan, have Chuck Rainey re-cutting Josie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7odKcOMDpk

sweet

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Behold! Radio in 1998!

I spent much of the late 90's washing pots and dishes in a room with a radio I didn't control and I never want to hear these songs or Marcy's Playground or Semisonic or Bush ever again.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Someone FOIA'd Langley's cafeteria comment cards.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Isn't/wasn't Creed basically a christian band? I'm not saying they were good by any stretch, but they certainly did well outside the confines of the jesusrock ecosystem.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Isn't/wasn't Creed basically a christian band? I'm not saying they were good by any stretch, but they certainly did well outside the confines of the jesusrock ecosystem.

This is the Israel/Palestine thread of Creed fandom, my friend. You DO NOT want to go down that road.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Late but my high school brother listens to kpop, rap, and that one album by Stromae I sent to him as a gift. And all my peers (I'm in college) listen to kpop

Debate disco what are your preferred kpop groups?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Late but my high school brother listens to kpop, rap, and that one album by Stromae I sent to him as a gift. And all my peers (I'm in college) listen to kpop

Debate disco what are your preferred kpop groups?

"all of themthe ones with hot guys"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Late but my high school brother listens to kpop, rap, and that one album by Stromae I sent to him as a gift.

I'm more curious about what cool kids listen to nowadays.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Another source for nostalgic music is, of course, television. For example, take this famous American series opening. :v:

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

"all of themthe ones with hot guys"

Seconded

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Joementum posted:

I spent much of the late 90's washing pots and dishes in a room with a radio I didn't control and I never want to hear these songs or Marcy's Playground or Semisonic or Bush ever again.
WAH-AUHH, IT WAS GOOD

(I like that song but I think in another universe I would hate it... tough to be indifferent)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ReidRansom posted:

Back when he still was doing the Your Band Sucks collumn, Dr. Thorpe described them pretty accurately as a Christian-ish band, in that they're clearly writing songs about Christianity, but were rarely that explicit about it. Also Scott Stapp clearly had a pretty big messianic complex, and sucked hardcore, which are both regular components of Christian rock.

Joementum posted:

Smashmouth and the pop princesses of the period were the regulars at the gas station I worked at the summer of 99, where the radio got a pop station, a country station, and NPR very badly. It had a tape deck, which ate my copy of Back in Black.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 14, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One of my XM stations is the 90's alt rock one.

But they play way too much Nirvana.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I have to be careful about critiquing bad 90's music because at the time I was really into prog.

I own Pink Floyd concert bootlegs on vinyl thanks to that time in my life, which is indefensible.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

zoux posted:

One of my XM stations is the 90's alt rock one.

But they play way too much Nirvana.

This is what the 90's were like to have been a teenager in the 70's.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Music talk? It's closing time, time for you to go now, to the places you might be from.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

I have to be careful about critiquing bad 90's music because at the time I was really into prog.

I own Pink Floyd concert bootlegs on vinyl thanks to that time in my life, which is indefensible.
You think that's indefensible? Guess what got me into psych/prog? Hint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BGlFsf9DM8

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

zoux posted:

100% Valerie Collective and associated Italo Disco acts.

:glomp: This person knows what's up.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

We're both leaving out what was truly horrible about music in the 90s, especially for Vermonters: the emergence and rise of Phish.

We could have crushed it when it was still small and vulnerable, but failed to. Such is our collective shame.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is Rush considered prog? Cause they're literally my favorite band of all time.

My dad loved them too. Red Barchetta was the anthem of my childhood.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

razorrozar posted:

Is Rush considered prog?

lol

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I don't research or talk about music much, I just know what I like.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

razorrozar posted:

Is Rush considered prog? Cause they're literally my favorite band of all time.

My dad loved them too. Red Barchetta was the anthem of my childhood.

I stopped liking Rush when I found out just how much they liked Ayn Rand.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rush is by far the most famous prog band in the world. So yeah, they are.

Geddy Lee sounds like a goblin.

Hedera Helix posted:

I stopped liking Rush when I found out just how much they liked Ayn Rand.

I stopped liking them when they were rear end and bad. And also that they expected us to pronounce the song like "Y Y Zed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Captain_Maclaine posted:

We're both leaving out what was truly horrible about music in the 90s, especially for Vermonters: the emergence and rise of Phish.

We could have crushed it when it was still small and vulnerable, but failed to. Such is our collective shame.

But at least we can listen to one of the writers of Parks & Rec try (and largely fail) to defend liking Phish. Also, Ben & Jerry's Phish Food ice cream. :yum:

Phish wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't spawned a legion of awful "jam bands". I once had to rescue one of my friends who spent the night passed out tangled up in a barbed wire fence at a Strangefolk show.

• Locked thread