Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just let Ippo lose Morikawa, he doesn't need to suddenly jump from nobody to #2 in the world in a single fight, you know? (who am I kidding, he is going to pulverize the poor macho)

Also, Metztli? Talk about a second tier aztec god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Hey I'm happy. I've been waiting YEARS for this

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I really would forgive everything if the series ends with Ippo chumping out and retiring. An unprecedented BURNING PASSION means dick ending to turn shonen manga on it's ear

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The funny thing is that Machismo is right about Ippo being a boxer from the stone age but he's going to lose anyway.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Funny that he has a Metztli Mode that is so much worse.

Special Angry Modes are pretty much HnI's version of Super-Huge-Transformations in One Piece - last-ditch efforts that are completely worthless. Well, except when it's the main characters doing it, then they are progenitors of boxing spirit.

EDIT: So basically this fight is going to be: Machisimo totally and mercilessly kicks Ippo's rear end back to the rookie stage, then summons an ancient Aztec god in order to let Ippo win.

I couldnt have come up with anything more desperate writing if I tried.

EDIT2: drat it I am so loving disappointed by this. Ippo faces an opponent that he has no tactics or hopes for at all to be able to land a single hit, save for a miracle like, say, the opponent rushing into close combat face-first. What does the opponent do? Outclasses him for four rounds, then inexplicably rushes into close combat face-first.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 27, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bisse posted:

Funny that he has a Metztli Mode that is so much worse.

Special Angry Modes are pretty much HnI's version of Super-Huge-Transformations in One Piece - last-ditch efforts that are completely worthless. Well, except when it's the main characters doing it, then they are progenitors of boxing spirit.

EDIT: So basically this fight is going to be: Machisimo totally and mercilessly kicks Ippo's rear end back to the rookie stage, then summons an ancient Aztec god in order to let Ippo win.

I couldnt have come up with anything more desperate writing if I tried.

EDIT2: drat it I am so loving disappointed by this. Ippo faces an opponent that he has no tactics or hopes for at all to be able to land a single hit, save for a miracle like, say, the opponent rushing into close combat face-first. What does the opponent do? Outclasses him for four rounds, then inexplicably rushes into close combat face-first.
Well I thought the setup with this guy was that he had "bad habits", and that his current style is just an imitation of Martinez's style and thus somehow much shittier so he keeps losing to Martinez. The emotional gimmick to this fight will be that this reckless poo poo is his "real" fighting style and Ippo will beat him and somehow despite the fact his "real" style will likely be the reason he loses he'll decide to be "a real man" and master his own style instead of imitating Martinez.

Ippo meanwhile:

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 27, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This arc is a huge letdown after how awesome the last Vorg fight had been in comparison to this and all the crap arcs just before that one. Really... just when it was starting to get kind of cool again the pacing goes right out the window and the plot just gets dumb.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
So my history with Ippo has been reading the Woli fight, getting annoyed and ditching, watching the new anime at my buddy's request (Takamura vs Eagle was pretty good but I nearly vomited during the two-faced nationalism of the After The War arc) and deciding to give it another try when this fight started.

I'm probably going to ditch it after this. Every fight I've seen Ippo in I'm cheering for the other guy. That can't be the proper mindset to be in.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nilbop posted:

So my history with Ippo has been reading the Woli fight, getting annoyed and ditching, watching the new anime at my buddy's request (Takamura vs Eagle was pretty good but I nearly vomited during the two-faced nationalism of the After The War arc) and deciding to give it another try when this fight started.

I'm probably going to ditch it after this. Every fight I've seen Ippo in I'm cheering for the other guy. That can't be the proper mindset to be in.

Nah, that's the proper mindset. Ippo deserves to win, but Morikawa won't let him. It's kinda funny how Ippo hasn't learned anything in ten of our years, because the mangaka has spent those years refusing to change the formula at all.

Which is a shame, since he had good characters that should have been allowed to grow.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
i think the way this plays out is that Ippo wins by learning how to rely on his instincts more, fluidly using all of his attacks instead of just specific sequences.

The coach thinks the Woli fight is the clue to victory. Now Woli was stupid but that arc makes more sense when you realize it's a tribute to the Harimau arc in Ashita no Joe. Harimau's role was to rekindle Joe's fighting spirit, dull from too many easy title defenses. Woli was an instinctive fighter who fought in a fluid and intuitive way.

So I think Alfredo will decide to fight in his natural style, which will also be wild and instinctive, but combined with science. Ippo will absorb this, remember how Woli fought by instinctively combining all sorts of different attacks, and do the same and triumph.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

ZerodotJander posted:

i think the way this plays out is that Ippo wins by learning how to rely on his instincts more, fluidly using all of his attacks instead of just specific sequences.

The coach thinks the Woli fight is the clue to victory. Now Woli was stupid but that arc makes more sense when you realize it's a tribute to the Harimau arc in Ashita no Joe. Harimau's role was to rekindle Joe's fighting spirit, dull from too many easy title defenses. Woli was an instinctive fighter who fought in a fluid and intuitive way.

So I think Alfredo will decide to fight in his natural style, which will also be wild and instinctive, but combined with science. Ippo will absorb this, remember how Woli fought by instinctively combining all sorts of different attacks, and do the same and triumph.

That would be a great way for him to grow.. I don't think there's ever been a World Champion IRL or one shown in this story that relied on set patterns over and over with no ingenuity. Even Ippo's best moments were when he was being clever which were ages ago in the story, like when he won the Japanese title

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It would actually be pretty cool if Ippo pulls out that motionless short upper that he beat Miyata with like in the 1st dozen or so chapters.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Breaky posted:

It would actually be pretty cool if Ippo pulls out that motionless short upper that he beat Miyata with like in the 1st dozen or so chapters.

It would be pretty cool is he pulled that and then nothing happened because getting hit in the face for 10 minutes straight has consequences and gently caress, just lose already.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Looked at the raws: Gonzalez and Ippo go for simultaneous exchanges, and it ends like it usually does for anyone dumb enough to try it with Ippo.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Golzalez is absolutely correct, Ippo is from the stone age, meaning Ippo's brain is made of granite.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Nilbop posted:

So you didnt read the best parts? aka the beginning? I dont know how you could make it this far without actually seeing the good parts.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Well I thought the setup with this guy was that he had "bad habits", and that his current style is just an imitation of Martinez's style and thus somehow much shittier so he keeps losing to Martinez. The emotional gimmick to this fight will be that this reckless poo poo is his "real" fighting style and Ippo will beat him and somehow despite the fact his "real" style will likely be the reason he loses he'll decide to be "a real man" and master his own style instead of imitating Martinez.

So up to Chapter 1058 is out and... :smith:

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

So Ippo is fighting a guy you can't beat unless you make him angry.

Basically...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^ Narcis Prince is no macho enough ^^^^^

Fighting like an idiot: the most effective way against Ricardo Martinez.

I'm getting real worried for Martinez, Ippo is totally a master in that field.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Nothing throws you off your game like wondering if you are accidental fighting somebody with downsyndrome.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Breaky posted:

So up to Chapter 1058 is out and... :smith:

Are you serious? That would be almost as bad, if not even worse, than the way he won against Woli. It would be so easy to make these fights better; I don't understand how this guy - who apparently runs a boxing gym - isn't able to come up with something better than Ippo's recent fights.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Two new chapters on MangaStream, and it's time to post Ippo's strategy yet again:

Sigh, just pull this trigger on this turd already.:smith:

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

SirDan3k posted:

Nothing throws you off your game like wondering if you are accidental fighting somebody with downsyndrome.

To be fair, that did happen when Date was fighting the World Champ. Date was getting hammered on so much that the champ feared he was going to outright kill him, and that hesitation allowed Date to get some blows in.

Um, but Date did lose in the end, so... nobody learned anything from that, especially not Ippo.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
I'm starting to wonder why we even bother.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god Ippo! You're so cool. I knew that it was just a matter of being able to take a million punches to the face and then hitting your opponent once.

Good job, nice fighting.

Yes, there are a couple of new chapters and they suuuuuuuccccckkkkk.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wish I could be a fly on the wall of his and his editors' meetings for these chapters. I don't see how someone could see this fight and thing "mm yes, this is interesting and tense."

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Ytlaya posted:

I wish I could be a fly on the wall of his and his editors' meetings for these chapters. I don't see how someone could see this fight and thing "mm yes, this is interesting and tense."

My favorite moment was the mention of Sawamura. Man, Sawamura vs Mashiba and Sawamura vs Ippo were a lot of fun. I think I'll just reread those fights instead.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
New? Ippo - chapter 1061.

So Ippo can get all the head blows he wants without getting his brains rambled, but one blocked punch wrecks Gonzales. Sometimes I hate this manga.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah this manga really sucks when it comes to Ippo fighting.

edit: yeah the below post really hits what i can't stand about ippo fights. he's all about hard work and effort but he never actually applies himself in any way that any sane person would really call hard work. he just flails around and dodges under those monkey bars a lot and sometimes coach will decide to hit him with a stick or do headstands or whatever and that's that. im not going to think too hard about this manga but the underlying lesson is really frustrating and contradictory.

Simoom fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 20, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Hard work pays off!
So does practice!

Work hard at having a concrete skull and practice getting your poo poo wrecked until the last minute and you too can challenge the world!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So what I'm taking from this is that it is completely impossible for Ippo to beat Rodriguez. If this dude has been running a copy of his style and wrecking everything about Ippo, there's a 0% chance of success for him winning against Rodriguez. So...Miyata is gonna beat him, and Ippo beats Miyata again. Right. Thanks, George.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Not gonna lie this was pretty dumb.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ippo should already have an Ashita no Joe ending at this rate.

Sheesh.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shinjobi posted:

So what I'm taking from this is that it is completely impossible for Ippo to beat Rodriguez. If this dude has been running a copy of his style and wrecking everything about Ippo, there's a 0% chance of success for him winning against Rodriguez. So...Miyata is gonna beat him, and Ippo beats Miyata again. Right. Thanks, George.

No, Ippo is going to bear Martinez, and then he's gonna beat Miyata, and then...

Hard work and practice pay off! Because Rodriguez didn't do any of those and he's obviously not superior at everything but the only thing that counts in boxing: being invulnerable to punches, like Ippo. (who has only lost to a magical punch anyways).

As for Martinez, he'll be awe of Ippo's dedication and spirit and decide to fight him on his level (and get wrecked!), out of respect for his incredible skills and yamato damashii.

"Finalmente he encontrado a un Boxeador digno de mi Titulo" -Martinez

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 20, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Simoom posted:

Yeah this manga really sucks when it comes to Ippo fighting.

edit: yeah the below post really hits what i can't stand about ippo fights. he's all about hard work and effort but he never actually applies himself in any way that any sane person would really call hard work. he just flails around and dodges under those monkey bars a lot and sometimes coach will decide to hit him with a stick or do headstands or whatever and that's that. im not going to think too hard about this manga but the underlying lesson is really frustrating and contradictory.
Kamogawa keeps having him reenforce his physical core (strength, balance, etc) and the basics. Which is good!

Then he fails to teach him any real boxing strategy. Ippo has gotten by in 99% of his fights literally just letting people beat him senseless to create an opening for proper basics (compact, sharp blows aimed at all the right places) to do their work. I guess that's a strategy if you don't mind requiring assistance to get dressed and feed yourself in your 40's.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This fight was even more disappointing than others because it was the first one where Ippo finally decides to "take on the world." I was really hoping that this one would be different.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The thing is, Ippo used to actually have strategies. It was never anything amazing or elaborate - use proper footwork to trap Karasawa, practice ducking under Takamura's hooks for Ozma, etc. I mean, one of the first things we see is Ippo lunging forward to deal with Miyata's counter, which is an imperfect strategy but plays to Ippo's strengths. If that fight happened these days, he'd just eat eight counters and then Ippo's literally magic fists would somehow make Miyata die like a villain of the week in Fist of the North Star. I think the only Ippo fight we've had since about Scratch J that hasn't been along those lines has been Hisato, and that just involved hyping up a guy for months so that Ippo could unceremoniously knock him out in one punch. I don't know if Morikawa's just collecting his paycheck at this point or what, considering how he seems to be so unwilling to end the drat series already.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Just everything about this fight irritates me. I mean we see Ippo getting bested at everything and the coach is like KEEP MOVING FORWARD. It's like he almost doesn't give a poo poo about Ippo. Takamura's fights are much more entertaining. Hell goddamn Itagaki's smug rear end fighting was more entertaining and I hate him.

I mean the fact that Ippo was like GOTTA bring out everything just screamed bad. Like what the opposite a boxer should do.

It's a shame, I mean this series has it's bright moments like Wolf becoming a champ. But Ippo? His fights just are boring rear end rising spirit bullshit.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

No.1 Special posted:

I'm starting to wonder why we even bother.

Someone has said this in every thread since 2005. We are still here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Someone has said this in every thread since 2005. We are still here.

Well, most of the non-Ippo fights are pretty decent. We get suckered in by poo poo like Vorg vs. Mike and Itagaki getting wrecked.