Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

priznat posted:

Is Videotron = Quebecor? Because I immediately thought oh this is how Quebecor breaks in and immediately becomes as giant and lovely as the other big 3. The big 4th.

Uh yeah Quebecor is wayyyy ahead of you on this. Hell they might even be ahead of Rogers and Bell on owning the content that they provide.

Just for kicks, I'm going to unironically quote this Wikipedia paragraph of Telus' acquisition of Clearnet, which got them into Ontario:

"In the 1999-2000 period, Telus acquired the high-performing Scarborough, Ontario based cellular company Clearnet Communications through merger, which gave it a foothold in the highly competitive central Canadian market in Ontario and Quebec, Canada's largest provinces in terms of population. The company had its origins in nearby Pickering, Ontario, and was by 1997 outperforming the other Toronto/Ontario-based cellular companies. Its phones were easily available at various retailers, and its marketing was fresh and innovative at the time, emphasizing bold, uncluttered simplicity (a concept gaining popularity today), and a bright future outlook through its nature and animals motifs."

Yeah... maybe that was true in 1999. gently caress if I can remember what the landscape was like then. I do recall Koodo, Virgin and Fido being competitive for a year or two each before they became lame off-brands for the big 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I look back on Clearnet fondly, I think they were the only ones offering unlimited airtime at the time.

Unfortunately the coverage kind of sucked especially in buildings but they were pretty cool. And the ads were nice too before Telus took them over.

Also re Quebecor I was thinking more this auction is a way for them to load up on spectrum because they aren't an incumbent per se, even though it is meant for the "little guys", which they definitely are not.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
At this point, I'm just so tired of Kim Jong Il's (Rogers, natch) bullshit that seeing it replaced by Kim Jong Un's (Quebecor) bullshit actually looks like a refreshing change.

Canadian Cellular: Like Animal Farm if You Removed the Hope

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 7, 2014

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Canadian mobile prices higher than peers, report says

quote:

...when compared with mobile pricing plans in other countries, Canadas international ranking worsened slightly, the study found.

Prices in Canada were average in 2012 but higher than average in 2013, when compared to its peers in the G7 the U.S., U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Japan plus Australia, the study found.

When you look at how Canadian prices have changed over time, its generally been a downward trend and that continued this year, Wall said in an interview. When you compare them internationally, we dont fare as well here as we did last year.

Last year, we were in the middle of the pack. This year, were still in the middle but more in the upper range and in some cases were the highest against the countries we compare with.

Which of the Big Three will make excuses for the industry first? "Oh, it's because Canada is so big! Infrastructure is expensive! We needed more blood for the blood god!"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Canadian mobile prices higher than peers, report says

Which of the Big Three will make excuses for the industry first? "Oh, it's because Canada is so big! Infrastructure is expensive! We needed more blood for the blood god!"

At least now we can make the counter-argument that Australia is more spread out with worse infrastructure, and still has better plans than we do.

... Fffffuuuck. :smithicide:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I just ported away from Rogers (before end of contract) and received my final bill. It shows a device subsidy charge as well as a final-gently caress-you called a "Service Deactivation Fee" of $12.50, which is a new one to me.

Is it worth protesting this? It's a small amount of money for the corresponding hit to my blood pressure when I phone them, but it annoys me to no end that they continue to invent fees out of thin air and charge them with impunity.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Lexicon posted:

I just ported away from Rogers (before end of contract) and received my final bill. It shows a device subsidy charge as well as a final-gently caress-you called a "Service Deactivation Fee" of $12.50, which is a new one to me.

Holy poo poo, I never knew about that one. Checking Google shows that this fee applies to anyone who isn't in Manitoba or Quebec (presumably due to stricter mobility laws) and is charged whenever you cancel your service before your contract is up. So yeah, they're actually creating an extra fee to break a contract. Wow.

Anyhow, this appears to be a part of Rogers official terms and conditions, making the fee legally "legitimate" in the eyes of Rogers, which would mean that protesting it would be about as fruitful as protesting your regular cancellation fees. So I really doubt you'd get anywhere with it. Maybe the CCTS might help since people have had luck getting out of having to pay for the 30 day cancellation notice.

OilSlick fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 21, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

They didn't charge the extra 30 days at least, so it's progress of a sort. I'm considering doing the CCTS thing purely out of spite - this was for a contract that I renewed on the phone (device broke mid contract), so as far as I can tell there was never even an opportunity to be notified that this charge exists. I asked them for my device subsidy balance prior to cancelled and they didn't mention the existence of this fee.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anyone have any experience with Magicjack/Ooma/etc.?

My signal at home is miserable but my phone is on a corporate plan so One Number isn't an option. I'm tired of having to take calls on the front porch.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
My girlfriend is looking to get a Samsung Galaxy S5. Which of these shitfucker companies are offering the least extortionate plan? Rogers is quoting $150 for the phone, and $50/month for 5GB data over a 3 year contract.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
$50/month for 5GB data, all in? That is a crazy good deal.

Are you sure that isn't on top of $60/month for the smartphone? Rogers' in market plans are currently $60/month as a base 'smartphone fee' plus an additional $20/month - $105/month for data buckets (500MB - 15GB)

edit: Since you mentioned 3 year contract, is this a corporate plan offering?

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

DarkJC posted:

$50/month for 5GB data, all in? That is a crazy good deal.

Are you sure that isn't on top of $60/month for the smartphone? Rogers' in market plans are currently $60/month as a base 'smartphone fee' plus an additional $20/month - $105/month for data buckets (500MB - 15GB)

edit: Since you mentioned 3 year contract, is this a corporate plan offering?

It's some sort of public sector plan, yeah. Thanks for the input.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'll second that "crazy good deal" Sweetling. I pay $84 per month on a Rogers corporate plan with 6 gigs and that's considered better than most.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm at $56 for 6gigs... and phone stuff that I don't care about because who uses their phone as a phone anyway?

I'd drop the extra gig for $50 though.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

My signal at home is miserable but my phone is on a corporate plan so One Number isn't an option. I'm tired of having to take calls on the front porch.

MagicJack is a pretty good cheap alternative to a landline. The call quality is good if you have a decent broadband connection and I never had any dropped calls.

Good luck getting a number ported over though because they are poo poo at it (I'd recommend against it anyway because if for any reason you cancel your service they keep your number and prevent you from porting it elsewhere). Also I hear that their customer service is loving terrible though I never had to deal with that myself.

They also do a thing where they e-mail you the voice messages in a .wav file if you miss calls. So... yeah.

e: also if your internet connection or power goes out, you're hosed

yellowcar fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 23, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My landline has been dead for over a year, I have no number to port anyway.

I've been looking at Ooma since all the reviews seem to say it's much higher quality.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Aphrodite posted:

https://www.freephoneline.ca. It's either $4.95/month or $50 for the unlock key (if you already have your own adapter).

My old Samsung Galaxy S had lovely reception in my house and I was constantly missing/dropping calls. I would always forward my cell to my home phone when I was at home. Worked great and it' handy to have a home phone line available.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Hi friends. I'm going to be in Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal for a few weeks in August from the US. I have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 with an unlock code, and I want to avoid paying AT&T's ridiculous fees for service in Canada, but I'm having a pretty hard time figuring out what my pre-paid options are. Data would be nice but isn't necessary. Voice is most important. It sounds like Rogers and WIND are the carriers who use GSM that may work.

Can anyone familiar with this help me out?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Check out Koodo or Speakout. Depending on how long you are staying and what your needs are, one may be better than the other.

http://koodomobile.com/en/on/plansandboosters.shtml
http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepaid-cell-phone-rates

I'm currently using Koodo's $15 base plan and buy booster minutes and data as needed. Very inexpensive for my needs.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
So this is what I have now:

Is there anything better that would justify buying out the remaining contract?
I think it's $160 or so but now I can't find where I saw that.

I do go up to northern Ontario every now and then but usually don't get a very good signal.
The first post seems to tell me that it's better to stick with Bell then?

Also, why does the phone have the LTE icon in the lower left yet the network says HSPA?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Also, why does the phone have the LTE icon in the lower left yet the network says HSPA?

I think this is some side effect of the Bell "My Account" panel. I'm on Virgin (which is Bell and uses the same backend) and my account also says my phone "runs on the HSPA network" even though it's an iPhone 5 with LTE and definitely uses LTE just fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think if you buyout your plan they would actually force you up to $80 for a new smartphone.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I do go up to northern Ontario every now and then but usually don't get a very good signal.

If you're ever in Thunder Bay for any amount of time, get your address set to Thunder Bay and get their plan on Bell. Otherwise you'll need an $80 plan minimum for 500 megs of data.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Godinster posted:

If you're ever in Thunder Bay for any amount of time, get your address set to Thunder Bay and get their plan on Bell. Otherwise you'll need an $80 plan minimum for 500 megs of data.

I think you may need to have your phone number set to a Thunder Bay area number. I don't think the address has anything to do with it as when an employee changes your address there is no opportunity to modify your plan at the same time, so it never requires a change. However, when changing someone's phone number, it occasionally will force the employee to change your plan. That said, if you can change your phone number that plan definitely looks worth it.

As for the HSPA thing, it probably says that because that's the minimum type of network it runs. LTE isn't everywhere, but a SIM card phone will still run on HSPA if LTE is not available. It's not really saying your phone does not run LTE, it's saying that your phone is not CDMA, just in case you didn't know that (some people don't know the difference)

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

OilSlick posted:

I think you may need to have your phone number set to a Thunder Bay area number. I don't think the address has anything to do with it as when an employee changes your address there is no opportunity to modify your plan at the same time, so it never requires a change. However, when changing someone's phone number, it occasionally will force the employee to change your plan. That said, if you can change your phone number that plan definitely lo

Good point. Almost all plans have unlimited Long Distance anyway at this point, though. When I move out of SK I'll definitely keep my 306 number for the ridiculously good plans here comparatively.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Why does Fido offer different priced plans for different Provinces? I'm on a $55, 5 GB, Unlimited Canada wide calling, unlimited text. I brought my own device, so I saved 10%. So I'm at $49.50 for 5 GB data and unlimited calling with Call Display and Voice mail in Manitoba. Pretty lovely that Ontario doesn't offer the same plan. Ontario is $75 for the similar plan but only 2 GB data, instead of 5.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Because there's competition in Manitoba/Saskatchewan in the form of MTS/Sasktel that actually force the Big 3 to compete. Ontario has no such luxury. Only Thunder Bay gets semi-competitive plans here.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DarkJC posted:

Because there's competition in Manitoba/Saskatchewan in the form of MTS/Sasktel that actually force the Big 3 to compete. Ontario has no such luxury. Only Thunder Bay gets semi-competitive plans here.

More importantly, the competition is entrenched. MTS and Sasktel (and TBayTel to a lesser extent) have the "former government monopoly" advantages that Telus (formerly AGT+BCTel) has in AB/BC and Bell has in most of the rest of the country, so they can't be steamrolled quite as easily as, say, Wind/Globalive/Public, and the Big 3 actually have to act like "invaders" in those areas and offer plans that will possibly convince people to switch.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

It's possible to get on those plans outside of SK/MB of course, even with an external number - on Koodo at least thanks to a loophole, as I've already mentioned earlier on the thread.

My girlfriend and I have the 49.50 5GB plan, each with 604 numbers, and couldn't be happier with it.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Thanks. For once I'm actually glad I live in Winnipeg.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lexicon posted:

It's possible to get on those plans outside of SK/MB of course, even with an external number - on Koodo at least thanks to a loophole, as I've already mentioned earlier on the thread.

My girlfriend and I have the 49.50 5GB plan, each with 604 numbers, and couldn't be happier with it.

That loophole exist on Rogers?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

It might, but not that I'm aware of. It works especially well for Koodo because they're such a self-service operation. You can do all the porting etc on their web app.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

They'll likely bump you up to $80/month once you port over. Koodo and Telus don't do it automatically. And, as far as I know, you can't port your number on Rogers' website as Lexi said above.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Godinster posted:

They'll likely bump you up to $80/month once you port over

Ugh :(

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Lexicon posted:

Same.

This post should be in the OP and the answer to 80% of the questions in the thread.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The CRTC has slapped Rogers' wrists for locking small regional players into exclusive roaming contracts. This bit at the end caught my eye.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/crtc-seeks-to-ban-exclusivity-clauses-in-wireless-roaming-contracts-1.1940926

quote:

But OpenMedia.ca said the price caps mandated by Industry Canada are still 3.5 times higher than what independent wireless providers are paying south of the border.

Wind Mobile told a Senate committee in May that it's being charged $1,000 per gigabyte of data for customers roaming on a larger network.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/crtc-seeks-to-ban-exclusivity-clauses-in-wireless-roaming-contracts-1.1940926#ixzz39GvGcGcG

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

So Toronto thread told me to post here. I'm with Rogers paying $80 base for unlimited nation-wide, text, and 3 gigs, contract's up in Sept 2015. I refuse to go to Wind because of slow speeds and poor reception (friends have it) but at the same time I've used maybe less than 200 minutes per month all year so I figure I should probably be paying less. But Rogers CSR, nice guy, basically said I was boned because of the new 2-year pricing and to wait til fall when they usually have promotions. Any ideas?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Pivo posted:

So Toronto thread told me to post here. I'm with Rogers paying $80 base for unlimited nation-wide, text, and 3 gigs, contract's up in Sept 2015. I refuse to go to Wind because of slow speeds and poor reception (friends have it) but at the same time I've used maybe less than 200 minutes per month all year so I figure I should probably be paying less. But Rogers CSR, nice guy, basically said I was boned because of the new 2-year pricing and to wait til fall when they usually have promotions. Any ideas?

Go on Koodo and get the SK/MB plan, so long as they both have a phone you want, and have good reception in your area. There have been guides posted on how to go about doing this.

Their "fall promotions" will be $50 discounts on phones, almost never including the iPhone which I gather will be an issue given your avatar. The most you'll see is around a $5/month discount and likely only if you're a student.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Godinster posted:

Go on Koodo and get the SK/MB plan, so long as they both have a phone you want, and have good reception in your area. There have been guides posted on how to go about doing this.

Their "fall promotions" will be $50 discounts on phones, almost never including the iPhone which I gather will be an issue given your avatar. The most you'll see is around a $5/month discount and likely only if you're a student.

Seriously, listen to this guy. Own-phone, plus the SK/MB plan is the best and most flexible deal that exists in Canadian wireless. Yeah, it sucks to buy an iPhone for full whack out of pocket - but when you do the amortization math, and as long as you can get on that plan - this is as good as it gets. How to get the plan (no you do not need to live in SK/MB or be restricted to numbers from there).

Plan: $55 per month less 10% for BYOD: $49.50 / month for unlimited nationwide calling, SMS/VM and 5GB LTE.
Phone: $720 / 24 months: $30 per month

$79.50 per month for an awesome plan and an awesome phone that you can turn around and sell for $300 in 2 years time (so long as you don't break it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah that looks attractive, but I either need to fork over like $250-300 for Rogers to let me out of my contract + unlock my phone, or wait until Sept 2015.

I don't really want a new phone though or a new number. I'm guessing I can port my old number over? I've had it for over a decade... edit: Just read the HowardForums post. That's awesome. poo poo, is it 55 after tax? That'd pay for itself in less than a year even if I broke my contract. Even if it's not...

$55*1.13 = 62.15 * 13 (now til next September) + $10 SIM = 817.95

Currently 97.18 * 13 = 1263.34

gently caress me, I'd save 445.39! As long as my cancellation fee is less than that, I come out ahead!

Pivo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 9, 2014