Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

Isn't/wasn't Creed basically a christian band? I'm not saying they were good by any stretch, but they certainly did well outside the confines of the jesusrock ecosystem.

Their marketing department was pretty clever. They never let themselves get put into the Christian rock ghetto but they did tacitly market themselves as being safe for Christians to listen to similar to Trouble back in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Joementum posted:

I have to be careful about critiquing bad 90's music because at the time I was really into prog.

I own Pink Floyd concert bootlegs on vinyl thanks to that time in my life, which is indefensible.

razorrozar posted:

Is Rush considered prog? Cause they're literally my favorite band of all time.

My dad loved them too. Red Barchetta was the anthem of my childhood.
A shiver goes down het's spine, and he doesn't know why.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Is Rush a prog band"

-pointlessly complicated melodies? Check

-unironic post-Lennon round spectacles? Check

-Objectivist drummer? Check

Speaking of unironic post-Lennon round spectacles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_PYrhZ17vg

Robert Fripp: proof that autism + fans = tyrant

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
The music I listen to is simple: I created a Pandora station, then seeded it with White Snake's Here I Go Again and Europe's The Final Countdown. Boom, all the music I ever need.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

CIA officially declares tomatoes to be red grapes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

XyloJW posted:

A scoff goes up het's throat, and he doesn't know why.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The best Final Countdown is the Laibach version, but then the best anything is the Laibach version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4VMDxSyLAU

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

Speaking of life before the internet, I enjoyed a brief period of popularity in the 8th grade because I had a dual deck tape player with high speed dubbing, so I became the middle school connection for gansta rap. I helped spread the love for Eazy-E, NWA, 2 Live Crew, Ice-T, and Too Short to a whole class of 13 year old white kids, one dub at a time. Take THAT Tipper Gore!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

Speaking of life before the internet, I enjoyed a brief period of popularity in the 8th grade because I had a dual deck tape player with high speed dubbing, so I became the middle school connection for gansta rap. I helped spread the love for Eazy-E, NWA, 2 Live Crew, Ice-T, and Too Short to a whole class of 13 year old white kids, one dub at a time. Take THAT Tipper Gore!

I had one of those...which I mostly used to make copies of history books-on-tape I'd gotten from the library. I am such a goddamn dork.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Between the ages of 11 and 14 I had 2 CD's because my mother was a controlling jesus freak who didn't want me listening to devil music. Those CD's? Linkin Park Meteora and Hybrid Theory. I listened to them every day for roughly 3 years and can recite the lyrics for every song perfectly. :cripes:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I'm glad my parents weren't particularly religious, even though my dad is a Very Serious Person type who will hold up a candle for religious fundamentalists and homophobes because as an immigrant he for some reason feels the need to defend the honor of "Real Americans"

he did flip out on me when I was watching some dumb Disney cartoons at age 9, though :(

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 14, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

For quite a time when I was younger, my parents didn't really care what music I listened to (on the radio, because I never had a CD player) as long as it wasn't 'black' music. But then they started getting watching movies on BOUNCE, which is a broadcast network that primarily caters to black people. And they always liked the Rush Hour movies because Jackie Chan was in them and they liked Chris Tucker so rap and hip hop are now officially A-Okay for my little brother. :psyduck:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My parents had a policy that whatever they were watching/listening to, I could watch/listen to. So, two of the movies I have my earliest memories of are Bambi and The Fly (the David Cronenberg/Jeff Goldbloom one). They also went on a Nightmare on Elm Street kick when I was around 7 or 8. Saw Basic Instinct when I was, like, 11.

Still a huge horror movie fan.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
We didn't have a TV, but my dad did buy me the Earth Game: a co-operative board game where the goal is for all the players to work together to achieve world peace.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJs-mbwuFVU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

nutranurse posted:

Between the ages of 11 and 14 I had 2 CD's because my mother was a controlling jesus freak who didn't want me listening to devil music. Those CD's? Linkin Park Meteora and Hybrid Theory. I listened to them every day for roughly 3 years and can recite the lyrics for every song perfectly. :cripes:

hahaha

i have to admit i'm almost fond of linkin park just for how charmingly, unpretentiously teenaged their music is.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Well, that was depressing. My dad is coming to terms with the fact that, with the resources available to him, he's probably going to be working a job he's becoming increasingly unqualified for until he dies. And the thing is, from his perspective he sees it as the righteous extension of decisions he made in the past. When I tried to point out that a society that leaves him trapped like this is failing him, all he did was make claims that it's his fault for not taking the opportunities he should have.

I don't really know what he thinks he should have done differently, but I don't really think it matters either. It's not like the job he's doing now is helping society or the economy or whatever. He's just working to work, because that's what we do. We labor to justify our existence.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I remember that look on my mom's face when, after she was giving me anecdotes about friends who Made it Big in Silicon Valley, I showed her this article and when she asked me, "So...when can your father and I retire?" It was pretty :smith:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

paranoid randroid posted:

hahaha

i have to admit i'm almost fond of linkin park just for how charmingly, unpretentiously teenaged their music is.

I have no doubt in my mind that half the reason I was such an angsty teen was because I listened to so much linkin park.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

We didn't have a TV, but my dad did buy me the Earth Game: a co-operative board game where the goal is for all the players to work together to achieve world peace.
Did you grow up in Vermont?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Thanatosian posted:

Did you grow up in Vermont?

Yes. Also, related, there is no worse phrase for a child to hear than "vegetarian potluck night".

Bread and Puppet theater was :krad: though.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

SedanChair posted:

-Objectivist drummer? Check

Peart is actually pretty chill and a good example of what the word libertarianism used to mean.

Prog rock is also incredibly cool, and if you don't enjoy 30 minutes of musical masturbation you should probably get better taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKNOlDtZluU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Yes. Also, related, there is no worse phrase for a child to hear than "vegetarian potluck night".

Bread and Puppet theater was :krad: though.
I give the South a lot of poo poo, but in my experience, no state lives up to its stereotype anywhere near as well as Vermont.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thanatosian posted:

I give the South a lot of poo poo, but in my experience, no state lives up to its stereotype anywhere near as well as Vermont.

Yeah Vermont's full of pasty time travellers and light aircraft.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah Vermont's full of pasty time travellers and light aircraft.

That movie made Rutland look significantly nicer than it actually is.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Joementum posted:

That movie made Rutland look significantly nicer than it actually is.

We're just living in the wrong tangent, that's all. Luckily it'll be fixed by September 2041 or so.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Thanatosian posted:

There are far, far worse stereotypes to live up to that being a Vermonter woodchuck. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a jug of dark amber waiting for me in the fridge.

Seeing Bread and Puppet in the annual Independence Day parades was surreal as all hell growing up. Pity about the festival shutting down in 98, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there a deep dark rivalry between VT and NH over which one is properly right side up?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zoux posted:

Is there a deep dark rivalry between VT and NH over which one is properly right side up?

New England regionalism is an odd thing, in that whatever rivalries we in VT might have with New Hampshire, its Littleton Walmart and libertarians and weak-rear end maple syrup, we tend to form a common front with them about Northern New England being superior to those flatlander assholes down in MA, CT, and RI. Maine is sometimes included alongside us, depending if we can understand what they're saying on the rare occasions any of us choose to speak to outsiders.

But yes NH is totally the wrong side up.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Joementum, in The Earth Game, did they try to properly model the collective action problems inherent in nations working together? Or was it mostly just "if only people would just hold hands and sing together, everything would be alright?"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Vermont would actually be more closely aligned with New York City, but Albany owned the railroad between NYC and Albany and Schenectady owned the locks between Lake Champlain and the Hudson River. The two cities couldn't come to an agreement over how to split the portage fees on goods coming down from Quebec through Burlington and on to NYC. By the time they finally stopped fighting each other Boston firms had already build a direct rail line over the spine of the Green Mountains to Burlington and on to Montreal and ever since the state has considered Boston its regional and cultural capital.

Thanatosian posted:

Joementum, in The Earth Game, did they try to properly model the collective action problems inherent in nations working together? Or was it mostly just "if only people would just hold hands and sing together, everything would be alright?"

The only thing I remember about it was that it was intensely boring, but I think it was the former. You had to establish trade agreements and poo poo.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Have you guys noticed a trend of really conservative racist rear end dudes really liking Rage Against The Machine? Can someone explain this to me because it's not like they've got a dude in their band who is an objectivist and poo poo like Rush being left wing and playing concerts in Cuba and poo poo was kind of what they were all about

It's just something I've noticed between Rand Paul and a lot of dudes that I work with

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
tom morellos filthy riffs respect no partisan boundaries

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rscott posted:

Have you guys noticed a trend of really conservative racist rear end dudes really liking Rage Against The Machine? Can someone explain this to me because it's not like they've got a dude in their band who is an objectivist and poo poo like Rush being left wing and playing concerts in Cuba and poo poo was kind of what they were all about

It's just something I've noticed between Rand Paul and a lot of dudes that I work with

They really like "gently caress you I won't do what you tell me"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm reminded of when National Review decided that The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again, The Beatles' Revolution, and The Clash's Rock the Casbah (and 47 other songs) were conservative anthems.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
theres also a list of conservative rap songs out there, which is even more hilarious.

"Now you wanna run around talkin bout guns like I ain't got none / What you think I sold 'em all?" hm yuss, gun buybacks are immoral, dre.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Back during the height of the Tea Party craze there was some pasty white dude from Hayward (a mostly black and Latino town about 15 minutes north of my hometown) who literally sold himself as a Tea Party rapper for rallies. It was the saddest loving thing ever.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h8bUtIfpSo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

I'm reminded of when National Review decided that The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again, The Beatles' Revolution, and The Clash's Rock the Casbah (and 47 other songs) were conservative anthems.

Born in the USA is the best.

• Locked thread