Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Yeah I live out in the country and travelling miles and miles to buy a tool for £2 cheaper is stupid. I buy online or from car boot sales.... Women always selling other halfs tools when he shags a cheaper woman!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Are those vibratey multi tool things any good? I saw an air one in a catalog yesterday at a not totally terrible price and was almost tempted.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

General_Failure posted:

Are those vibratey multi tool things any good? I saw an air one in a catalog yesterday at a not totally terrible price and was almost tempted.

More clarification please.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

InitialDave posted:

More clarification please.

That looks about right.

Or there's the photo I lifted from their catalog and rehosted.

I still like yours better.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I don't know how well a cheap one works, but the basic principle is sound, they do what they say on the box.

General_Failure posted:

I still like yours better.
You must remember that, in Britain, we use 230-volt currents.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

InitialDave posted:

I don't know how well a cheap one works, but the basic principle is sound, they do what they say on the box.

You must remember that, in Britain, we use 230-volt currents.

It's essentially the same way as those things they use for cutting casts off people, right? So long as the thing to be cut isn't good at absorbing vibration it cuts? I've just been thinking that if the tech is sound they'd be brilliant for things where a slip of a rotary tool causes headaches.

Thanks for the idea for something to watch too by the way.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I could use some advice. This is a double-post from CA but I thought some of you clever tool guys might have insight.

quote:

So I am finally on reassembly of the C14 after the valve clearance job and I have a bit of an issue I can see coming up.

One of my cam holder caps has a bolt which is so close to the motor mount I could only remove it with a basic allen key, there was no room for a wrench at all. This means I won't be able to put my torque wrench onto it for reinstalling it properly.

Ideas on how to get it reasonably close to the proper torque? I can probably get it "close" with feel, but since it's torquing down bearing surface I'd like to be as accurate as possible. I think I might try and see how many degrees it turns after finger tight or something with the proper wrench and try to duplicate with the allen key, but if anyone has a better idea I'm :allears:

It needs to end up around 100 inch/lbs (8ft/lbs) (I do have the value in my manual, but its around there) so it's not crazy tight.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

General_Failure posted:

It's essentially the same way as those things they use for cutting casts off people, right? So long as the thing to be cut isn't good at absorbing vibration it cuts? I've just been thinking that if the tech is sound they'd be brilliant for things where a slip of a rotary tool causes headaches.

Thanks for the idea for something to watch too by the way.

It's also called a vibrating saw, and they're completely awesome.

My dad uses one all the time when making cabinets for electronics or when installing stuff in cars. Very often you have to saw holes in plastic panels, and it's so much faster and neater than using a reciprocating saw. We've used it to adjust window moldings on their house, precision joinery cuts when building speakers etc., it has like a million uses. Most of them come with a sanding attachment that works really well, too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slidebite posted:

I could use some advice. This is a double-post from CA but I thought some of you clever tool guys might have insight.
Is there enough clearance around the sides to put a cut-off bit of hex into the head of the bolt, then wrench off that with a crow's foot wrench?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I like the thought and you're giving me an idea because I don't have a crow foot. I could use an open ended wrench with a standard 1/4" bit and adapt that to the torque wrench. The torque values will be out because it'll be a few inches longer, but I could probably turn it down and be close... Either that or I'm thinking of just marking the # of turns after it seats on one that I can get to, maybe I'll do a combination just to cover my bases.

So if we go by your method, If the small open wrench is, say, 3" long and the torque wrench is about 18" long, would I have to decrease the torque value by approx 1/6th (3 divided into 18) because the combined wrench is longer? Make sense or am I over analyzing it?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Tindjin posted:

Price Check..

Selling my Miller 140 Mig with aluminum gun and one of by big tanks (can't remember size but thing is 5 ft tall and about 7-8 inches across). The welder is in great condition and the aluminum gun has never been used, the tank is about 80% full. What do you think is a fair price for it?

My wife and mother went in on a brand new 211 for me and got another aluminum gun and some other fun extras. Selling the 140 to help pay for a plasma cutter and some more steel.

I bought my 135 with a 150 tank for $400. On one side of the spectrum, the aluminium gun is laughable on a 140- unless all you are planning on doing is thing gauge panel work. On the other side, someone would probably happily give you $800 for welder/gun/tank. Any more then that and your approaching entering into a 211, which is IMO, an amazing little machine for light duty fab/home use.

I actually want another 120v machine at somepoint just for .023 wire + bodywork.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If I'm doing my math and physics right, you would have to multiply the torque by the ratio of the length of the torque wrench to the length of the torque wrench plus open ended wrench.

So with 3" and 18", it would the final torque you are looking for (100 in-lb?) times 18 divided by 21. That means setting your torque wrench to 85.7% of the final torque (85.7 in-lb?).

You would have to put the force at the end of the torque wrench for this to work. If you grab it in the middle, you are decreasing that lever arm and the numbers change accordingly (eg, 9/12=75% of final value). So, for the length of your torque wrench, use the distance from the head to where you hold it, not the overall length.

This also assumes that the torque wrench and open ended wrench are in line. If they are at an angle to each other, the total length (21" in the first example) will be lower. That is the distance from where you are applying force to the end of the open ended wrench and you either need to measure it or do some simple trig to calculate it.

I can draw a picture and give a general formula if you want.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 13, 2014

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

If I'm doing my math and physics right, you would have to multiply the torque by the ratio of the length of the torque wrench to the length of the torque wrench plus open ended wrench.

So with 3" and 18", it would the final torque you are looking for (100 in-lb?) times 18 divided by 21. That means setting your torque wrench to 85.7% of the final torque (85.7 in-lb?).

You would have to put the force at the end of the torque wrench for this to work. If you grab it in the middle, you are decreasing that lever arm and the numbers change accordingly (eg, 9/12=75% of final value). So, for the length of your torque wrench, use the distance from the head to where you hold it, not the overall length.

This also assumes that the torque wrench and open ended wrench are in line. If they are at an angle to each other, the total length (21" in the first example) will be lower. That is the distance from where you are applying force to the end of the open ended wrench and you either need to measure it or do some simple trig to calculate it.

I can draw a picture and give a general formula if you want.
This man speaks the truth. Trig will work out the actual length, if it isn't straight. Remember, Oh Hell Another Hit Of Acid (sin, cos, tan).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's close to what I figured too :)

I don't need to be 100%, hell, my torque wrench is probably off by 5-10% any but I don't want to over analyze it.

Appreciate the insight guys. :)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Alright back to generator chat. What if I went the opposite direction on this--If I have a Generac installed, is there any way to make it run LPG or unleaded gasoline? Our natural gas service is eerily reliable but it would be nice to know we didn't need to depend on it in an emergency.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

revmoo posted:

Alright back to generator chat. What if I went the opposite direction on this--If I have a Generac installed, is there any way to make it run LPG or unleaded gasoline? Our natural gas service is eerily reliable but it would be nice to know we didn't need to depend on it in an emergency.

Any quality fixed gasoline generator will have a readily available LP conversion. These conversions typically downrate them by 10-20%, but run quite well.

The only thing to be concerned about is just how big of a generator you want to run and how big your tanks are. If the surface area of the top of the tank isn't large enough you'll starve for propane. This means there is no way in hell you're running a reasonable sized generator off of a grill tank, but a standard 100 gallon stand up tank should be fine for most applications unless it's really drat cold out.

The big fucker at the fire house (I forget the rating, but it ran 2 commercial heat pumps along with other poo poo and was a V8 ford turbo) required us to use 4 500 gallon tanks (the kind that sit on their side) to meet it's vaporization demands during the winter without adding one of those scary loving vaporizer things that actually burns propane to heat the tanks up to make it vaporize faster.

We have since switched to a diesel, but that's not really relevant to the size you're talking about.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Depends on where you live too. In town? Natural gas is fine. If your in the boonies? Propane all the way.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Depends on where you live too. In town? Natural gas is fine. If your in the boonies? Propane all the way.

We're in-town and our natural gas supply is great. But I'd be kicking myself if I dropped 4 large on a genset and then an earthquake hit (New Madrid fault FTW) and we couldn't get power because gas lines were disrupted for several weeks.

I guess for 99% of outages natural gas would be fine though.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

revmoo posted:

We're in-town and our natural gas supply is great. But I'd be kicking myself if I dropped 4 large on a genset and then an earthquake hit (New Madrid fault FTW) and we couldn't get power because gas lines were disrupted for several weeks.

Rev, I know, as one of the more accomplished e36 owners you're assuming the worst and preparing for it but I think you're going a tad overboard here. If an earthquake massive enough to cause damage to underground NG lines hit, you'd have bigger problems like trying to find a new place to live for awhile than getting power to said structurally damaged structure.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Are there good covering sleeves for huge breaker bars?

Basically, my last breaker bar just stayed under the rear seat of the 4x4, and was therefore exposed to huge amounts of dust. I just got a nice breaker bar (http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=&item_ID=651014&group_ID=682694&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog) and would like to get a canvas sleeve or something to protect it a bit.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Are there good covering sleeves for huge breaker bars?

Basically, my last breaker bar just stayed under the rear seat of the 4x4, and was therefore exposed to huge amounts of dust. I just got a nice breaker bar (http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=&item_ID=651014&group_ID=682694&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog) and would like to get a canvas sleeve or something to protect it a bit.

I'd go to a fishing shop and get a rod cover, one that suits a small two piece or telescopic rod will probably fit.

Or go to a canvas sewing place they could probably knock something up for a six-pack.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That sounds perfect! Thank you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can't spend 200 bucks on a breaker bar and just throw it in a bag.

Get a pool cue case!

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Series-C4...5325465&sr=1-12

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Krakkles posted:

Basically, my last breaker bar just stayed under the rear seat of the 4x4, and was therefore exposed to huge amounts of dust.

Are you worried about the dust damaging it?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

It's also called a vibrating saw, and they're completely awesome.

My dad uses one all the time when making cabinets for electronics or when installing stuff in cars. Very often you have to saw holes in plastic panels, and it's so much faster and neater than using a reciprocating saw. We've used it to adjust window moldings on their house, precision joinery cuts when building speakers etc., it has like a million uses. Most of them come with a sanding attachment that works really well, too.

Your words placate me.

I went and grabbed one today. I've needed to do pretty much all of these things that you said. So yes i grabbed the air tool version. At $30 it seems cheap enough to give it a shot. Plus I have a probably irrational love of air tools.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

spog posted:

Are you worried about the dust damaging it?

Dust is extremely dangerous to Snap On tools. Grease and wear from use are also detrimental and must be avoided.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Powershift posted:

You can't spend 200 bucks on a breaker bar and just throw it in a bag.

Get a pool cue case!

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Series-C4...5325465&sr=1-12
That seems a bit much. And it wouldn't help it fit in said 4x4. But thanks, anyway.

Also ... :rolleyes: if you guys don't get why I'm taking better care of a tool that I plan on keeping. If you think dust in a greasable tool won't affect it, you're fooling yourself.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Krakkles posted:

That seems a bit much. And it wouldn't help it fit in said 4x4. But thanks, anyway.

Also ... :rolleyes: if you guys don't get why I'm taking better care of a tool that I plan on keeping. If you think dust in a greasable tool won't affect it, you're fooling yourself.

Serious talk: get a thick plastic bag and you can seal it with a bit of tape or a rubber band.

Not only does it keep dust off, it keeps moisture out. Plus, it is easy to wipe clean.

Things like mops may come in suitable bags. And my Wii came with a good bag around the power cable.

Or if you really want to splash the cash: http://www.amazon.com/ZCORR-Corrosion-Velcro-Shotgun-Rifle/dp/B00A2SMVAC

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Harbor Freight Dollar Days tomorrow, I asked earlier but didn't get an answer. Do they offer these prices online? I'd rather just get everything at once rather than drive over to the store and see half the stuff already sold out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Krakkles posted:

What about a neoprene golf club head cover? The shaft doesn't matter, after all, it's the mechanism you're worried about.

Spray it up with some WD40 or Fluid Film and you should be just fine.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Ziploc bag and a rubber band. Job's done.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'd just invest in a pair of snap ring pliers and re grease the insides from time to time. Or yeah, just put a plastic bag with WD40 rubber banded to the head.

Or hell, be classy and put a Crown Royal bag over the end.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

SuperDucky posted:

Rev, I know, as one of the more accomplished e36 owners you're assuming the worst and preparing for it but I think you're going a tad overboard here. If an earthquake massive enough to cause damage to underground NG lines hit, you'd have bigger problems like trying to find a new place to live for awhile than getting power to said structurally damaged structure.

I get what you're saying, and you make a good point. I'm just trying to weigh my options here. The fact is that I have to prepare for extended outages because we've experienced them multiple times in the past. We've got pets and a reef aquarium that can only go 24 hours or so (less in winter/summer) before my house becomes a biohazard situation. I have to weigh hotel costs across 5-10 years (when Ike rolled through there were no vacancies btw) vs a cheap generator vs pissing off my neighbors vs a generac that costs twice as much as my car. It might be worth buying but I have to take all these things into consideration.

Anyway, I appreciate all the input on the subject.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Krakkles posted:

A 24" length of PVC with end caps? Cheap, indestructible, can be filled with ~~materials~~and used to clear jeep trails in emergencies :cool:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

revmoo posted:

You're worrying about this to the point of not seeing the forest for the trees. Most installed generators use NG because there is always a reliable supply available. I've never had natural gas service go out and neither have most people because by the time infrastructure is damaged to the point that NG can't be delivered people are already talking about evacuations (forced in the case of a gas leak). On the other hand, very few gas stations have backup generators so there goes the option to refuel a gasoline or diesel generator and LP isn't going to be much easier to obtain. Gas/diesel doesn't keep forever and to run an LP generator for a week you would probably need a tank on par with the ones people without NG service use. By not going with NG you're committing yourself to continually replacing the unused fuel you're storing on your property so it doesn't go bad, being probably unable to refuel during the emergency you're buying the generator for, and running the risk that the tank will be empty from the generator's monthly self-test when you actually need it (ask the guys at my local Lowe's about that one. Tank went bone dry and nobody knew until the store lost power and nothing happened.)

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Krakkles posted:

The head is sealed already, to keep dust and crap out. Besides, Snap-On tools are made to be used daily, in conditions way worse than under a truck seat, and they still last forever. And when they do fail, they're covered by a lifetime warranty anyway.

Cat Hatter posted:

You're worrying about this to the point of not seeing the forest for the trees. Most installed generators use NG because there is always a reliable supply available. I've never had natural gas service go out and neither have most people because by the time infrastructure is damaged to the point that NG can't be delivered people are already talking about evacuations (forced in the case of a gas leak). On the other hand, very few gas stations have backup generators so there goes the option to refuel a gasoline or diesel generator and LP isn't going to be much easier to obtain. Gas/diesel doesn't keep forever and to run an LP generator for a week you would probably need a tank on par with the ones people without NG service use. By not going with NG you're committing yourself to continually replacing the unused fuel you're storing on your property so it doesn't go bad, being probably unable to refuel during the emergency you're buying the generator for, and running the risk that the tank will be empty from the generator's monthly self-test when you actually need it (ask the guys at my local Lowe's about that one. Tank went bone dry and nobody knew until the store lost power and nothing happened.)

Store it in jerry cans, dump it in your car after a few weeks, and then just fill the jerry can when you go to gas up. Keep multiple cans and rotate them, and you'll always have some on hand.

Or just use a fuel stabilizer.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

EKDS5k posted:

Store it in jerry cans, dump it in your car after a few weeks, and then just fill the jerry can when you go to gas up. Keep multiple cans and rotate them, and you'll always have some on hand.

Or just use a fuel stabilizer.

Using a Generac 8,000 watt generator as an example because size wise its on the low end for an installed generator and the high end for a portable, I found one that consumes 7.5 gallons of gasoline in 11 hours at 50% load. To run for a week (low end of what the poster was looking for) that would require just under 115 gallons of gas. That's 23 5-gallon cans to keep stacked up like cordwood and routinely cycle through the car because fuel stabilizer is only rated to work for 2 years and still won't really protect from ethanol induced problems (although those should be minimal since the cans would presumably be full)...or just get a NG unit instead of going out of your way to get a generator that is more work to keep ready and to run.

That aside, one day I'm going to open a gas station that actually has a backup generator so during blackouts I can have everyone in town lined up like in Maximum Overdrive :getin:.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

A 24" length of PVC with end caps? Cheap, indestructible, can be filled with ~~materials~~and used to clear jeep trails in emergencies :cool:

This.

Or if we're still on about the breaker bar in particular a thinner bit of PVC with rubber table / chair / walking frame etc. feet of the right size on each end as caps works really really well.

Really I don't think I've ever seen a breaker bar die from environmental contamination before it gets snapped / distorted beyond use. But hey whatever.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

revmoo posted:

a reef aquarium
:stare:
You're a brave, brave man, A) for even having such a setup B) for having one in a high power outage zone. I've got a buddy who keeps reefs and its some crazy, highly scientific poo poo. Ignore my criticisms, carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Just a final thought on my end of the world. A backup generator could add or detract value to your house. I know at my old house, it was an addition to the home which made it worth more. And more than likely, you'll make your money back on it when you go to sell your house. I was contemplating putting a permanent generator on my house, but instead I just ran a couple of cords over to the neighbors house because he had a gently caress off huge generator to keep the sump pit going because we always managed to lose power during any sort of rain.