Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm still confused. If I buy a Wii U Pro controller can I play two player games with the Wii U pad? Like can I and a friend play Mario Kart and eventually Smash bros with both the Wii U pad and pro controller at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Housh posted:

I'm still confused. If I buy a Wii U Pro controller can I play two player games with the Wii U pad? Like can I play Mario Kart and eventually Smash bros with both the Wii U pad and pro controller at the same time?

New Super Mario Bros U seems to be the only multiplayer game where this isn't possible.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MaxDuo posted:

Does this mean it took 45 hours to 100% the game? For how much everyone talks about how it has this unbelievable insane amount of content that will keep you busy forever.... that seems really short. I was expecting at least 65+ hours from how much people hyped it up.

I swear someone said 2-3 weeks ago you could find it on clearance at Walmart for something like $3.65 or so. I didn't go out of my way to find it, just stopped at ones I was passing by and I never saw it. :(

Probably 65 hours if you include loading times.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Probably 65 hours if you include loading times.

Ho Ho

Are load times really that much of a problem for people?

Never had one of these to compare it to obviously

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I am so tired of loading screens, it feels significant in donkey kong country tropical freeze. By the time I get to start I forget having wanted to play it when I pressed start, that delay really bothers me. Hasn't someone invented a solution? Even when the game is a digital version it still takes forever.

I would help starving kids in Africa but I'm having all my time wasted by loading screens.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!
Went into the Wii mode for the first time in a long time today, saw I had 1080 Snowboarding, and was immediately reminded that it's been 10 years since we've had a new 1080 game. :smith:

The Operative fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 15, 2014

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

The Operative posted:

Went into the Wii mode for the first time in a long time today, saw I had 1080 Snowboarding, and was immediately reminded that it's been 10 years since we've had new 1080 game. :smith:

Slap mario characters (or Nintendo characters) in a snowboarding game with courses like Wario Mountain and I am there.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why the hell did NST become such a non-entity, anyway? They've been a Mario vs DK factory for, like, ten years now. They even hired one of the original Sonic devs only to stick him on Mario vs DK, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Trent posted:

Ho Ho

Are load times really that much of a problem for people?

Never had one of these to compare it to obviously

It took me twenty minutes to load chess.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why the hell did NST become such a non-entity, anyway? They've been a Mario vs DK factory for, like, ten years now. They even hired one of the original Sonic devs only to stick him on Mario vs DK, too.

NST had some problems in the early Wii days and never really recovered from it. Remember Project HAMMER?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_H.A.M.M.E.R.

The cancellation of that did not bode well for NST. They ended up kind of going into a limbo state around then not sure what to do next.

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 15, 2014

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there any way for me to redeem the free game with Mario Kart 8 without actually owning a Wii U? I can't afford a Wii U right now but I will be able to in the next few months, and I'd like to just get MK8 now and just get the free game later.

If it's worth anything, I do have a Club Nintendo account tied to my 3DS.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

DoubleDonut posted:

Is there any way for me to redeem the free game with Mario Kart 8 without actually owning a Wii U? I can't afford a Wii U right now but I will be able to in the next few months, and I'd like to just get MK8 now and just get the free game later.

The deal is an MK8 promotion and not a whole Wii U one, so yeah.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

DoubleDonut posted:

Just buy the game and put it on club nintendo. IIRC you have to choose which game you want by the end of August, and then you have until the end of September to actually redeem it on your Wii U.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

DoubleDonut posted:

You redeem the MK8 promotion on the Club Nintendo website, and then they email you a download code. You should be good.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Alright, thanks. It looked like that was the case, but I wasn't sure if I'd need to have my account tied to a Wii U before registering the game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I had the same question, heh. So the bottom line is you have to have a Wii U by the end of September to get the game?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Nolgthorn posted:

I am so tired of loading screens, it feels significant in donkey kong country tropical freeze. By the time I get to start I forget having wanted to play it when I pressed start, that delay really bothers me. Hasn't someone invented a solution? Even when the game is a digital version it still takes forever.

I would help starving kids in Africa but I'm having all my time wasted by loading screens.

Good news! Namco came up with a reasonable solution in 1994! :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkR-B5np6R0

Bad news! They patented it so nobody gets to do it but them. :smithicide:

Edit: Also wow looking at this game now. I remember my family inviting family members we normally only saw on holidays over to see how amazing the graphics were.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Fremry posted:

Just a head's up to anyone buying from store.nintendo.com. I've been having the most nightmarish transaction with them trying to buy 2 Wiimotes. It's 2.5 weeks after I placed the order (for the white ones because they have been in stock) and they "shipped" 12 hours ago with an invalid tracking number. I've been in contact with them for over a week, and no one has been able to give me a reason why they wouldn't ship. I got a whole week of "It's in picking status. I don't know why it hasn't shipped, we have them in stock."

Then last Wednesday they said they'd open a ticket to get to the bottom of it and call me back. Still haven't heard anything. So basically IF this tracking number is correct, I'm looking at, best case scenario, getting them 3 weeks later despite them telling me the whole time that they were in stock and I should have expected them at my door in 5-7 days maximum.

While customer service was incredibly nice, they have been completely clueless and ineffective for the past 2.5 weeks.

The initial slowness of your order sucks, but I wouldn't freak out about the tracking number until it's been another few days. It can take a while for the system to catch up with brand-new shipments.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

The Operative posted:

Went into the Wii mode for the first time in a long time today, saw I had 1080 Snowboarding, and was immediately reminded that it's been 10 years since we've had a new 1080 game. :smith:

There might be a new one someday if the extreme sports fad of the early 2000s comes back around :shobon:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

oopsie rock posted:

The initial slowness of your order sucks, but I wouldn't freak out about the tracking number until it's been another few days. It can take a while for the system to catch up with brand-new shipments.

Yeah, it showed up just an hour ago as printed. It's just incredibly frustrating that they are over 2 weeks late, and no one can give a reason why. The entire time I've been getting "Call back tomorrow, they're in stock and I don't know why it's not being sent out," followed by their escalated ticket being almost a week old without contacting me.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Tender Bender posted:

I had the same question, heh. So the bottom line is you have to have a Wii U by the end of September to get the game?

End of August. You have until August 31st to redeem it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Donkey Kong game in Nintendo Land was originally prototyped as both an Excitebike game and a 1080 Snowboarding game, both of which make more sense than DK.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
FRIENDS I HAVE A QUESTION.

How do you unlink a Nintendo ID from a Wii U?

Me and my brother both linked our Network ID's from our 3DS to the Wii U we have now, but we're getting another cause we both need our own now for reasons.

Are we hosed? I mean there's gotta be a way, what if this thing breaks? All my poo poo would be tied to it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Alteisen posted:

Me and my brother both linked our Network ID's from our 3DS to the Wii U we have now, but we're getting another cause we both need our own now for reasons.

Are we hosed? I mean there's gotta be a way, what if this thing breaks? All my poo poo would be tied to it.

ahahahhahahahahh nope

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
99% sure you can call up Nintendo and tell them you wanna switch consoles or something like that.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

noirstronaut posted:

99% sure you can call up Nintendo and tell them you wanna switch consoles or something like that.

Yeah, you can. They're pretty cool about it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

noirstronaut posted:

End of August. You have until August 31st to redeem it.

End of September. You have until the end of August to choose, the code expires end of september.

http://club2.nintendo.com/mario-kart8-promo/

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Pomp posted:

End of September. You have until the end of August to choose, the code expires end of september.

http://club2.nintendo.com/mario-kart8-promo/

Ah, whoops.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'm intending to buy a Wii U by the end of August, and am probably going to pick up some games and accessories ahead of time.

Independent research was helpful, but I wanted to be safe rather than sorry so I figured I would ask here:

The Wii U Pro controller seems very nice and supports all of the games I'm interested in right now. I was under the impression that, like the gamepad, those controllers can simply be charged instead of having to keep buying and replacing batteries. Am I correct or mistaken about that?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

13/f/cali posted:

I'm intending to buy a Wii U by the end of August, and am probably going to pick up some games and accessories ahead of time.

Independent research was helpful, but I wanted to be safe rather than sorry so I figured I would ask here:

The Wii U Pro controller seems very nice and supports all of the games I'm interested in right now. I was under the impression that, like the gamepad, those controllers can simply be charged instead of having to keep buying and replacing batteries. Am I correct or mistaken about that?

Correct. Uses micro USB.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

noirstronaut posted:

Correct. Uses micro USB.

Actually, it uses USB mini B :eng101:.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
It also comes with a pretty long mini-USB cable for charging while you play. It's not really needed though because it's battery lasts forever.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Alteisen posted:

You can do it, you have to delete the ID from the system but not completely delete it. Go to delete ID and choose the "from this system" option. As long as it is linked to a 3DS, it will still exist, and you can link it to a different WiiU.

I did this with my ex girlfriend's NNID after we broke up. I had to wait until you could link your 3DS with a NNID so I didn't have to completely delete hers.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
That's awesome. I loved the original Wii but always wondered why there was never an official charging solution. Knowing I won't have that issue with my Wii U stuff is a plus. Thanks for the quick answer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The NOA store is supposed to be restocking the Gamepad extended battery in late July/early August, incidentally.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

The NOA store is supposed to be restocking the Gamepad extended battery in late July/early August, incidentally.

How big a difference does it make, and how much does it cost?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tecmo-Koei will be doing a live stream on Niconico later in the week to talk about a few Fatal Frame-related projects, including the announced-but-not-yet-revealed Wii U game:

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv185819369

It'll go live on Thursday at 1:30PM Japan time, or 12:30AM EDT.

Sarchasm posted:

2250mAh, so around double the battery life, maybe a little less. They're around $30, I forget the exact price.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

2250mAh, so around double the battery life, maybe a little less. They're around $30, I forget the exact price.

And there's a guy selling extended packs on ebay that are 3000mAh. At least one goon had a good experience with this seller:

Shyfted One posted:

Yeah, not sure if I'll pick up just 1 or get 2.

Also, the eBay guy with the $15 hi capacity gamepad batteries is back. Mine came and I thought it was bad, but I just unplugged it and plugged it back in and it's being recognized just fine now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extended-Ba...=item4acef70ee5

Comes with the tiny screwdriver needed as well.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

e: double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Lagomorphic posted:

It also comes with a pretty long mini-USB cable for charging while you play. It's not really needed though because it's battery lasts forever.

I am astounded at how long this thing is lasting. I thought the Wavebird was good, but this is crazy.

• Locked thread