Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

keep punching joe posted:

I don't believe I have ever seen Alex Salmond wear a kilt.
It has gently caress all to do with actual Scottish history, so definitely a wise choice.

Edit: v--Jesus wept. For the record, the kilt was invented by Thomas Rawlinson, an English Quaker from Lancashire, some time after 1726 but before 1746. He was an ironmonger who leased forested land in Scotland from the MacDonell clan as a source of charcoal. Finding actual traditional highland dress to be too cumbersome for tree felling or furnace work, he had an abridged version made that was rapidly adopted by the MacDonells. So the kilt is a modern outfit, invented by an English industrialist to serve as a (more) practical outfit for native Highland labourers.

Tartan patterns representing particular clans is also complete bollocks, invented as a means of differentiating clans for the benefit of George IV on his state visit and leapt upon by tartan manufacturers as a chance to make a profit. That's by the way though.

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

" Look who's pointing the finger - Chris Riddell on Conservative attempts to discredit the Labour leader"
I think this is the most sympathetic representation of Miliband I've ever seen. He can't even photograph that well.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

For your edification and delectation:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What happens at Tartan Day stays at Tartan Day I guess.

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

Kegluneq posted:

So the kilt is a modern outfit, invented by an English industrialist to serve as a (more) practical outfit for native Highland labourers.

This is what every Scot thinks of, as we belt up our kilts and weep. I wonder if the philabeg was more common by the 1800s because the common wearing of Highland dress had fallen out of practice after the post-war ban? By that point, those who would have worn the great kilt would have moved on to some form of trousers and shirt.

EDIT: On further research, it appears the story about Rawlinson isn't universally accepted and that some think it is simply an evolution of the great kilt. Whichever it is, I don't think many Scots would care enough to stop wearing it.

QuantumCrayons fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 6, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

QuantumCrayons posted:

EDIT: On further research, it appears the story about Rawlinson isn't universally accepted and that some think it is simply an evolution of the great kilt. Whichever it is, I don't think many Scots would care enough to stop wearing it.
Rawlinson's kilt was also an evolution of the great kilt so both statements can be true (the tailored kilt is associated with Rawlinson as a development of the belted plaid, which wasn't). Scotsmen can at least take refuge in the idea that he merely continued and popularised a trend in Scottish dress rather than introduce an English style...

The kilt's origins may be murky but anyone who talks about traditional clan tartans can at least be safely mocked.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Chris Riddell presents: things hanging around people's necks.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I saw him with a cowboy hat kilt combo!

Edit:

:clint:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 7, 2014

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the child abuse inquiries – Former minister Norman Tebbit has said politicians' instincts were to protect "the system" in the face of sexual assault scandals in Westminster."

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Express:

Tour de France!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The Indy one would be much better without the label. Typically I don't give a drat about label complaints but it really lessens the impact in this case.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

That right there is some incredibly shoddy dry stone walling, any Yorkshireman should be ashamed of that. :colbert:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"From the archive: Steve Bell on the 7 July London attacks – Four bombs exploded in London on 7 July 2005, three on underground trains and another on a double-decker bus, killing 52 people, as well as the four bombers"

Telegraph:

Not got a clue on this one. Apologies.

Independent:

Child abuse claims: Paedophile gang 'included 20 ex-MPs'

Times:

Express:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Telegraph:

Not got a clue on this one. Apologies.

All I can think of is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28204290

Something along the lines of extreme Muslim Brits returning to Britain and Harrods is owned by a Qatar former Prime Minister. :confused:

I really don't know but its dumb as gently caress whatever it is (unless theres some story I haven't heard yet). :o:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The new "Caliph" in Iraq made a declaration on TV while wearing a rolex so people are calling him decadent.

ghengilhar
Mar 21, 2013

Cliff Racer posted:

The new "Caliph" in Iraq made a declaration on TV while wearing a rolex so people are calling him decadent.

Well he should go on Hajj, it helps get rid of the decadent trait

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Israel's bombardment of Gaza - Thirteen people were killed and 90 injured in Israel's bombardment of the Gaza strip with tanks on their way to the border"

Telegraph:

British troops to leave Afghanistan; Afghan poll crisis: Defiant Abdullah claims victory

Independent:

Times:

Ex-senior judge Butler-Sloss to head child sex abuse inquiry

Express:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Looks more like woefully ineffectual anti-subsidence measures. Do old people really give a gently caress about the Tour de France? That's three in a row now. At least it's a break from apropos of nothing comments about MIGRANTS in the street

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Lady Butler-Sloss – Opposition to Lady Butler-Sloss as chair of the panel of inquiry into child abuse is growing at Westminster with lawyers and MPs urging her to stand aside"

Telegraph:

David Cameron condemns public sector strike

Independent:

Times:

Express:

Brazil 1 - Germany 7

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So why is it that Blair's depicted all crazy-eyed most of the time? He's got this real unsettling stare in some photos, but the basis for the wonky uneven-eyed
confounds me. I know caricature's caricature, but it's usually based in something, right?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Because he's a nutter.

edit: also caricature is not always based on real physical features, no. Things can be exaggerated or even flat out made up if it fits the character, in this case the weird eyes fits really well because Blair is always depicted as unhinged.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ofaloaf posted:

So why is it that Blair's depicted all crazy-eyed most of the time? He's got this real unsettling stare in some photos, but the basis for the wonky uneven-eyed

confounds me. I know caricature's caricature, but it's usually based in something, right?

He explains it in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-EYW21-KRc

It's a trait or something he picked up from viewing him in the flesh. Same for Thatcher (about 24 mins in).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 10, 2014

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Ofaloaf posted:

It's based on the fact that he's a genuine mental case.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BastardySkull posted:

edit: also caricature is not always based on real physical features, no. Things can be exaggerated or even flat out made up if it fits the character, in this case the weird eyes fits really well because Blair is always depicted as unhinged.

I like the story where Cameron told Bell that the condom head would eventually 'get old' pretty much guaranteeing Bell will never stop using it.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Angela Merkel asking US intelligence official to leave Germany – The US embassy staffer asked by Angela Merkel's government to leave is thought to be the CIA 'chief of station' who coordinates secret service activity in Germany"

Telegraph:

World Cup 2014: Brazil fans blame 'curse of Mick Jagger' for their 7-1 defeat to Germany

Independent:

Emergency phone and internet data laws to be passed

Times:

Public sector strikes hit schools and services around the UK

Express:

Proposed Bury bin changes a 'bad decision' says minister

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Is this a cartoon in favour of the strikes calling out the Tories "50% of the vote" thing after they got far less than that to be elected? In the Times?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What's Merkel dressed as up there? Looks familiar but I'm getting some Dennis the Menace / Jocks and the Geordies vibe from it

Clearly not actually in Bury! Plus if it happens green bins will be collected more often, I guess rats just really love paper

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

baka kaba posted:

What's Merkel dressed as up there? Looks familiar but I'm getting some Dennis the Menace / Jocks and the Geordies vibe from it

I think it's the German away kit and Minnie the Minx's hat.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ohhhh yeah, I was close! That was a bit confusing for a minute

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

baka kaba posted:

Clearly not actually in Bury! Plus if it happens green bins will be collected more often, I guess rats just really love paper
Those rats are adorable though, so I'm all for less frequent bin collection. :3:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Israel-Palestine conflict – Israel's bombardment of Gaza in a bid to end Hamas rocket attacks is about to enter its fifth day"

Telegraph:

More weight loss operations for diabetes

Independent:

Taxpayers 'lost £1bn' on Royal Mail sale, MPs say After James Pollard.

Times:

Same sex dance ban plan sparks row

Stephen Collins:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Stephen Collins
Panel 1: A CUTESY DRAWING OF A MAN HUNCHED OVER A DESK. THERE IS A BLANK SHEET OF PAPER IN FRONT OF HIM AND A PENCIL IN HIS HAND
Panel 2: the pencil: "are we gonna do it or what?" The man: "I'm sorry?"
Panel 3: the pencil: "normally we've drawn an anthropomorphised object by now, and defined a personality quirk too"
Panel 4: the man: "I'm sorry, I've got a headache"
Panel 5: the pencil: "use me! Abuse me! How about shy curtains? A right-wing pigeon? Come on, I need this!"
Panel 6: the man: "I'm... I don't know. It's just not working for me any more"
Panel 7: THE MAN WALKS AWAY
Panel 8: the pencil, now lying on the desk: "wanker"

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Collins really is bad. I say it whenever it is brought up but his comics are just awful. At least with bad Express comics you are done with it after ten seconds and thats including the animal search.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Supreme Court posted:

Stephen Collins
Panel 1: A CUTESY DRAWING OF A MAN HUNCHED OVER A DESK. THERE IS A BLANK SHEET OF PAPER IN FRONT OF HIM AND A PENCIL IN HIS HAND
Panel 3: the pencil: "normally we've drawn an anthropomorphised object by now, and defined a personality quirk too"
Panel 5: the pencil: "use me! Abuse me! How about shy curtains? A right-wing pigeon? Come on, I need this!"

I hope to god this finishes him here.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

The Supreme Court posted:

Stephen Collins

Nice!

Observer:

"At a cinema near you…summertime politics, starring the coalition - Chris Riddell on this season's hot policy tickets"

Sunday Telegraph:

Cameron's reshuffle will be bigger than thought

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the assisted dying debate – Two retired Anglican archbishop have spoken out in support the right of terminally ill people to end their lives"

Telegraph:

Thousands flee northern Gaza after Israeli warnings

Yesterday's Independent on Sunday:

Emergency phone and internet data laws to be passed

Independent:

Times:

Express:

Germany win fourth World Cup title :godwinning:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Thomas in a rare "piece of electronics that has been manufactured within the last decade" shocker.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Shame that the bloke appears to have spilled a bucket of engine oil on his trousers, really.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Scarfe is pretty content-free this week

Who's the Michael Cain looking fucker crawling out of the rock? I must be out of the loop on my nonces.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Mr. Squishy posted:

Scarfe is pretty content-free this week

Who's the Michael Cain looking fucker crawling out of the rock? I must be out of the loop on my nonces.

The one on the left? Not sure.

Telegraph:

Who's who: Tory women tipped for promotion

Independent:

Butler-Sloss steps down from child abuse inquiry

Times:

Ministerial reshuffle: Who's out

Express:

Germany... Europe... good????? :confused:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
OUR BOYS in the army were more recently shooting Argentinians than Germans, so they receive a higher hatred rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Cyril Smith maybe?

• Locked thread