Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Umino just had to go to his snail-watching club, which he's the only member of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I like to imagine that they're hanging out with the fool from King Lear and Lyman from Garfield.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Please read my Sailor Moon fanfiction, Umino and Naru are Dead.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Waffleman_ posted:

Please read my Sailor Moon fanfiction, Umino and Naru are Dead.

I'd read it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

The Monkey Man posted:

I like to imagine that they're hanging out with the fool from King Lear and Lyman from Garfield.

Lyman. The Lando Calrissian to Jon Arbuckle's Gonk Droid.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Twelve by Pies posted:

The explains why he and Naru vanished during Stars (or maybe SuperS? Can't remember the last episode they're in).

The last time they appear, chronologically, is the SuperS special Ami-chan's First Love. The last time we see Naru in the regular TV series is the SuperS episode in which Tiger's Eye targets her and acts like a giant creep and so on. In the manga, Naru is seen attending Juuban High School along with the Senshi minus Rei, but in the anime, I just headcanon that both she and Umino went to a different high school.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Twelve by Pies posted:

The explains why he and Naru vanished during Stars (or maybe SuperS? Can't remember the last episode they're in).

I always assumed that their families moved somewhere else after they noticed their children were constantly being attacked by monsters.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Of course Crystal Tokyo looks like an unappealing place to live, who wants to be ruled by a meatball head forever?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Rodyle posted:

Of course Crystal Tokyo looks like an unappealing place to live, who wants to be ruled by a meatball head forever?

That's Neo-Queen Meatball Head to you.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Captain Tenille?

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
If you missed it, they posted a clip of the new dub for the original series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPMh2ZZOCzI

Mamoru sounds a lot like his old dub voice. Usagi is clearly different (and I can definitely hear the VA's "standard" voice in it), but it gets better as the clip goes on I think.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Ahh, the takarazuka magazine. Rei would've LOVED La Reconquista with its all-lady cast.
Er, apart from the fact that Rei is a character in La Reconquista.
That version of Rei there, 90s anime Michie Tomizawa Rei, would've loved La Reconquista. There, I feel better.

KariOhki posted:

Mamoru sounds a lot like his old dub voice. Usagi is clearly different (and I can definitely hear the VA's "standard" voice in it), but it gets better as the clip goes on I think.

It absolutely rocks my world that they got in a dig at Mamoru's purple pleated pants.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
They're not gonna insult themselves.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

KariOhki posted:

They're redubbing the original series? Cool.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

KariOhki posted:

No, sir. I do not like this.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

No, sir. I do not like this.

Change is scary.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If you want uncut OG Sailor Moon, you gotta redub it, them's the breaks.

Bunhead works better than meatball head as localizations go, though we will all miss the meatballs.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dove from Above posted:

It absolutely rocks my world that they got in a dig at Mamoru's purple pleated pants.

If nothing else it means that they can deviate from the translation to make things more natural which always helps.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Another clip, this time of Luna's intro http://youtu.be/pS_uDeu_3SQ

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Wh... Why does Luna sound like Twilight Sparkle? :gonk:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

KariOhki posted:

Another clip, this time of Luna's intro http://youtu.be/pS_uDeu_3SQ

I liked the first clip, but this one isn't impressing me. I really don't like Luna's voice here.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

A Pinball Wizard posted:

That's the first thing you think of?

I heard Yoko more than anything out of that.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Haha, I'm so used to Grandma Luna, so it's strange to hear the proper young version.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That's the first thing you think of?

Yoko makes sense because it's the same VA at least.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Trap sprung?

RMZXAnarchy posted:

It sounded like Michelle Ruff was doing an older version of her Yukari voice from Persona 3.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I don't watch dubs or cartoons so it sounded pretty good to me v:j:v

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Silly Voodoo posted:

Trap sprung?

Bronies have been a thing for like 4 years now. If you've gone that long without hearing a pony talk, I commend you.

Actual contribution: Luna's previous English voice was completely unsuited for the character, but this new one sounds too normal. The Japanese voice still had a little bit of "not human" quality to it, even if it was way younger than the English one; this new one sounds like any one of the girls, and there's nothing that stands out about it. But maybe that's just my weird retarded ears.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Bronies have been a thing for like 4 years now. If you've gone that long without hearing a pony talk, I commend you.

Maybe its because I tend to stay away from that kind of stuff that I've never heard that stuff, or maybe because I don't watch much TV or anything. v:v:v

On topic, I think she sounds fine. A bit strange at first considering how I've grown accustomed to the Japanese version, but it'll grow on me over time.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

Haha, I'm so used to Grandma Luna, so it's strange to hear the proper young version.

I think of her as Luna Poppins. She was cute in her own odd, pseudo-British way.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Luna's old voice is literally the only one I'm capable of remembering at all, but that's not why it's SUPER WEIRD to hear Michelle Ruff in Sailor Moon. It's because having a mental connection between "Disgaea/Persona" and "thing I haven't seen since I was 7" is bizarre.

But it's a better clip than the other one and it's not like I'm going to watch it anyway so :v:

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Oh man, I just got used to Michelle Ruff as Eliza in Skullgirls, and now I gotta get used to Luna too? Life is hard :(

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Here's the first dub clip of Jadeite and Queen Beryl.
http://youtu.be/rcSyO_piUGQ

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
She's talking at a mile a minute.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Wow, the animation in this episode was...pretty bad. If this was a weekly show, I don't think I'd be so disappointed, but waiting every 2 weeks for this level of animation is frustrating.

That said, Ami was cute in this episode :3: And following the pace of the manga is a lot better than the original anime's pacing.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
This might be colored by me wanting to like it so much and the fact that it's my favorite character, but I thought it was an improvement over the first episode. There certainly were some sketchy animation issues (Ami's introduction comes to mind, her expression was the same for a few seconds and it didn't look so hot) but to me it felt like they improved on some things. Usagi seemed more expressive too when she was talking to Mamoru. It also seemed like they took it up a notch when the fighting started and I hope they can continue to not really use stock footage for attacks.

I'm also kinda dreading when they introduce her computer, because it's going to end up pushing me over the edge on ordering one of those cases for my 3DS.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I thought this episode was pretty good. To me, Ami has always been the weak character of the senshi, so her having some nice early character moments beyond "oh, she's really smart and good at everything" was nice. Looking forward to the next episode!

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Wow, I just noticed that they gave Usagi's chubby friend the same body type as everyone else in this version.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

At least this answered whether this new series is stuck in the 90s or not. Nice laptop :D . Wonder why no one seems to have cell phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

So crunchyroll cut out the next episode preview again.

But its pretty obvious next episode will be Sailor Mars' Debut. I imagine once episode 4 comes up we'll know for sure if we're getting a 1:1 adaptation or not.

As for this episode, not bad. I like the new voice for Mercury, but there's still lots of weird perspectives and overall QUALITY shots. And the subtitles are still iffy in translation. Next episode will hopefully improve on that.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 19, 2014

• Locked thread