Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

grrarg posted:

Sabagebu is not a jumbo mess because the team behind it is actually a team. The writer and director did the anime adaptations of Minami-ke, Mitsudomoe, Yuru Yuri, and Love Lab. They have the formula for that type of comedy down.

You just sold me on it. As soon as I get the chance, I'm gonna check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Some 2nd episode impressions:

Akame ga Kill wasn't as great as the first episode, but was still ok. I don't mind it switching tone between dark/edgy and lighthearted comedy, but they need to find a better balance.

Aldnoah Zero continues to be really good, but still has some issues to iron out.

SAO2 was just plain bad to the point of being amusing. I want to believe this is intentional.

Momoka in Sabagebu has solidified her spot as one of the best MCs ever.

Nozaki continues to be one of my favorite comedies in a while. Great cast of fantastic characters used in all the right ways.

Barakamon is also really funny, but has the advantage of being so adorable it might kill me with diabetes.

This is a surprisingly good season so far.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

pandaK posted:

"I surrender."
Shoots her.
"It's a tie."
Shoots her.

Best MC

This convinced me to watch what I had expected to be a piece of garbage (with mediocre being a best-case scenario). It's pretty great.

grrarg posted:

Sabagebu is not a jumbo mess because the team behind it is actually a team. The writer and director did the anime adaptations of Minami-ke, Mitsudomoe, Yuru Yuri, and Love Lab. They have the formula for that type of comedy down.

And this really does explain why. 3/4 of those range from pretty drat funny to great (and I've no clue about Mitsudomoe).

I wasn't doom-and-gloom about this season, but I certainly wasn't expecting to find as many thoroughly watchable shows as I have, and I haven't even gotten to Barakamon yet. Sabagebu and Nozaki-kun by themselves make it a great season for comedy (though, to be fair, Nozaki could do that on its own).

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I really didn't like the stinky natto and beatings in this episode of Sabagebu, they just felt fetishistic. I did like the last segment, though.

When does Kanolle come out? I want to see the first episode for the trainwreck factor.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

The Monkey Man posted:

When does Kanolle come out? I want to see the first episode for the trainwreck factor.
Probably not this season.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i'll make the thread

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Probably the best BD marketing I have ever seen. Heh.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I made a thread for Sabagebu!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

brainwrinkle posted:

I made a thread for Sabagebu!

Well that's what I get for holding off posting until I'd watched the second episode. :v:

duvel
Dec 13, 2008
After watching Himegoto's first two episodes, I must ask: who is this aimed at? I am genuinely curious.

Also it's a terrible piece of poo poo.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

People with a cross-dressing fetish.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I tried watching Puri-Para, and now all I can taste is taffy.

I have to admit, I'm liking this show over Tokyo Ghoul. I think it's just the kind of gore I'm in the mood for this season.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Let me say something unthinkable: Is it me or does this season seem to be better than average? Like poo poo, there are way too many watchable shows without embarrassing creepy poo poo floating around? Previous season felt a bit dire, but I didn't watch Ping Pong nor Mushishi, because they seemed the kind of shows I'll probably want to marathon. I was actually catching on Mushishi's original season.

I don't know, perhaps several shows I think are decent will show to be terrible in the long run. (Looking at Free!, Tokyo Ghoul and Argevollen here - Free! mainly because the novelty will wear off - Worse ED doesn't help things :v:)

And I'm yet to check Barakamon, Nozaki and Sabagebu which a lot of you seem to be praising.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

duvel posted:

After watching Himegoto's first two episodes, I must ask: who is this aimed at? I am genuinely curious.

Also it's a terrible piece of poo poo.

People who have watched a lot of similar anime and will appreciate (or at least get) the jokes and what they're referencing.

e: Presumably these people have a cross-dressing fetish, so yeah.

zachol fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 15, 2014

duvel
Dec 13, 2008

zachol posted:

People who have watched a lot of similar anime and will appreciate (or at least get) the jokes and what they're referencing.

e: Presumably these people have a cross-dressing fetish, so yeah.

aers posted:

People with a cross-dressing fetish.

I guess what I'm asking is whether that's actually a large enough chunk of people in Japan that an animation could be funded for it. A further question would be "What are the demographics of that group?"

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

duvel posted:

I guess what I'm asking is whether that's actually a large enough chunk of people in Japan that an animation could be funded for it.

It doesn't have to be as long as you can squeeze hundreds of dollars out of each weirdo for extremely overpriced box sets and merchandise, or at least that's my understanding of how this sort of thing gets made.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
It's heavily based on and pandering to fans of a number of other successful animes/manga and each episode is like five minutes. Seems like it could be reasonably profitable, although I'm not sure how these kinds of shorts make their money in general.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They're really cheap to make and poo poo like character goods is 100% profit, so it's just a money making thing

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

zachol posted:

It's heavily based on and pandering to fans of a number of other successful animes/manga and each episode is like five minutes. Seems like it could be reasonably profitable, although I'm not sure how these kinds of shorts make their money in general.

It's advertising for the manga. That's why it doesn't even need to be good, it's basically a five-minute ad.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I was actually interested in Nobunaga Concerto just because it won a few awards a couple years ago, and was never scanlated so it was just one of those mangas I was intrigued by. The anime's animation isn't that great, and there's nothing really noteworthy about the first episode though. I'll stick with it if it gets any better, but so far it's sticking pretty close to being just a historical piece, other than the time-slipped main character.

EDIT: Apparently someone did start translating it two months ago so that's cool. Comparing the two, the manga is a bit more expressive with their faces, so yeah, anime's animation not that great.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 16, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
3 episodes in, Free continues to be mostly the same, but it's starting to feel more predictable and uninteresting. S, I think I'll drop.

On the other hand, Blue Spring Ride had another great episode. I tend not to enjoy this kind of show, but I'm rather enjoying this.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
The more I watch Free, the more I realize that it's not that much different from what KyoAni routinely puts out.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The problem is that it's both too different and not different enough. If it was just a cute guys do nothing show (which is basically what it was this week) it would be better, and if it was a competent sports show it could also work, but as is it's slightly better Kuroko's Basketball that interrupts itself with slightly worse than average routine KyoAni. I'm still enjoying it, however.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

can we talk about drama/romance animes for a minute? how the heck can you make a 26 episode show and the main love interests dont even kiss?!?! im pretty heated right now. gently caress you japan

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Not even at the end? That is pretty bad.

e: I mean unless the point is they don't actually get together and how that's okay.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

zachol posted:

Not even at the end? That is pretty bad.

i dont want to spoil what anime i watched but they even had a little scene after the epilogue of just those two characters and nothing even happened! im pretty dang mad

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i dont want to spoil what anime i watched but they even had a little scene after the epilogue of just those two characters and nothing even happened! im pretty dang mad

Actually you have just spoiled every anime.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The bigger problem with Free! is that I think it made a lot of money and it's just one of many bad shows the KyoAni has made in the last 3 years preventing them from making a new loving season of Haruhi. Goddammit.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Great Lakes Log posted:

The bigger problem with Free! is that I think it made a lot of money and it's just one of many bad shows the KyoAni has made in the last 3 years preventing them from making a new loving season of Haruhi. Goddammit.

I don't understand the issue here :confused:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Great Lakes Log posted:

That's not the reason there's no new Haruhi. Apparently it's because the author stopped writing new novels, which means the publisher has nothing to promote, which means no new anime deals with the studio. It's just a symptom of the fact that anime is treated as an expensive commercial most of the time.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Great Lakes Log posted:

you should totally make a haruhi kickstarter thread in gbs; theyll love you for it

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

can we talk about drama/romance animes for a minute? how the heck can you make a 26 episode show and the main love interests dont even kiss?!?! im pretty heated right now. gently caress you japan

I know right? But maybe the second season of Free will redeem itself.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only recent anime I can think of where the love interests kiss is No. 6 and that was the only good thing about that show.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Furious Lobster posted:

you should totally make a haruhi kickstarter thread in gbs; theyll love you for it

I don't have the rights to do that, but if I did I would. I would loving kill to have GBS love me.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

zorak pls tell them to make the Bonnouji anime

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

let's all take some time to slow down and reflect on our favorite anime kiss scenes (shortened to k-scenes for the remainder of this post). no videos of the scenes please let's try to describe them with our words

spoilers ahead

my favorite k-scene is probably from toradora. i think it was the final episode when ryuji and taiga run away from home and there they are standing in that room that is lit by the moon. when taiga pulls the sheet off the futon and wraps it around her like a wedding veil. she tells ryu she remembers that line about how a tiger and dragon are equal and wants to be together with him forever. then she makes fun of his chapped lips in that typical taiga fashion. he finally k's (kisses) her and they both blush. then she goes let's try that again :mrgw:

well that's my favorite anime k-scene. please share some of yours

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

let's all take some time to slow down and reflect on our favorite anime kiss scenes (shortened to k-scenes for the remainder of this post). no videos of the scenes please let's try to describe them with our words

spoilers ahead

my favorite k-scene is probably from toradora. i think it was the final episode when ryuji and taiga run away from home and there they are standing in that room that is lit by the moon. when taiga pulls the sheet off the futon and wraps it around her like a wedding veil. she tells ryu she remembers that line about how a tiger and dragon are equal and wants to be together with him forever. then she makes fun of his chapped lips in that typical taiga fashion. he finally k's (kisses) her and they both blush. then she goes let's try that again :mrgw:

well that's my favorite anime k-scene. please share some of yours

Ahh the toradora scene is my favorite also. *le sigh*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's gotta be the Utena movie, personally.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

zorak pls tell them to make the Bonnouji anime

That would be rad. And everyone please read the manga thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

My favorite is when it was actually I, Dio who stole your first kiss.

• Locked thread