Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Zarick posted:

That still means Chejop could stand on a cliff above an army and just... kill all of them immediately. Which is still a huge problem, just not a Creation Destroying one.

That's where the imperial mountain comes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
All PCs exist to solve problems, but sometimes those problems are "I'm not the Perfect of Harborhead and haven't yet won the uncoerced love of Ligier," not "oh no! The Dowager is trying to assemble the Seven Emeralds of Destiny!" Both can be fun, of course.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I agree, 2E's essence 6+ rules were good and cool and should be reprised.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Oligopsony posted:

All PCs exist to solve problems, but sometimes those problems are "I'm not the Perfect of Harborhead and haven't yet won the uncoerced love of Ligier," not "oh no! The Dowager is trying to assemble the Seven Emeralds of Destiny!" Both can be fun, of course.

To quote Barack Obama, "Oh, you mean the Chaos Emeralds?"

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Oligopsony posted:

To be sure! And what, does he just sit there and wait while you usurp him or...

The Perfect

Impulse: To maintain unquestioned rule.

Grim portents

Create an atmosphere of fear and suspicion

Indict a certain person or group publicly for the danger

Impose Martial Law

Acquire the Orb

Impending Doom: Tyranny

And he isn't the only person in the world, what if there are other fronts from rival groups trying to overthrow him as well, Sidereals cracking down on the increased exalt presence, Wyld Hunt closing in on the anathema, rampaging lunar looking to topple the town, etc.

And does Malfeas want you dating his sun? imagine sneaking out for date nights while daddy Malfeas tries to hunt you down, sure sounds like a front to me.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 14, 2014

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
I didn't mean it as a comment on how to model Elders. Obviously no one wants "all Charms, alphabetically ordered" again for like a dozen reasons, including the ones already mentioned.

Lioness
Feb 6, 2014

KittyEmpress posted:

I think one issue that lead to Infernals winning so much in Shards is that... the only other villain splat couldn't really win and still leave a setting. A setting where the Deathlords/abyssals won would no longer exist. Infernals fill the role of 'villains that can be fought against even if they won', which makes them a lot easier to let 'win'
You can have a world ruled by the Abyssals without the Neverborn automatically getting what they want and of course with this being Shards you could easily remove the Neverborn from the picture entirely.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Zarick posted:

That still means Chejop could stand on a cliff above an army and just... kill all of them immediately. Which is still a huge problem, just not a Creation Destroying one.

And if he tried, there would be scores of third circle demons and exalted ready to blow their entire essence pools on murder combos.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lioness posted:

You can have a world ruled by the Abyssals without the Neverborn automatically getting what they want and of course with this being Shards you could easily remove the Neverborn from the picture entirely.
Personally I agree with this entirely, but until the Ink Monkeys thing dropped their best idea of indie Abyssals, it seemed like your choices were to get on the MURDER TRAIN TO OBLIVION TOWN, which is certainly fun and supported but not necessarily a flavor for everybody - OR, you become Vampire Hunter D, opposing the Neverborn and so on and so forth. (And, as stated in earlier pages of this thread, I think the status of the Neverborn as large boxes marked "INSERT SCARY THING LATER" didn't help anything.)

Hopefully 3E, by the time it swings into the GHOST TOWN STATION, will have developed some kind of a vision that gives the Underworld style and gravitas and makes it so that fighting to be king of the Underworld isn't necessarily identical to wanting to become a Candarian demon and literally claim each and every soul of the living.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ferrinus posted:

Superman doesn't just destroy all the nukes

...anymore after having already done that in Superman IV.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

axelsoar posted:

What type of game do you run that does not have looming threats to things your PCs care about?

Sandbox exploration stuff. Also, sometimes my players respond to threat things they care about by not caring about those things anymore because that's not the sort of game they want to play either.

edit: It took me a second to realize what I was talking about in the first place because this was from a few days ago. I don't like the idea that PCs are there to solve problems and feel it's better to say 'PCs are people that do things' in the games I run, or prefer to run. If you really contort the matter you can frame anything as problem solving, but at no point is that mentality present in my usual play group. If the PCs don't intervene in a matter maybe it will resolve itself, or get worse, or turn out to be totally irrelevant. Likewise, intervention is no guarantee of success or a desirable outcome. That's generally what I try to go for.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 14, 2014

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ithle01 posted:

Sandbox exploration stuff. Also, sometimes my players respond to threat things they care about by not caring about those things anymore because that's not the sort of game they want to play either.

edit: It took me a second to realize what I was talking about in the first place because this was from a few days ago. I don't like the idea that PCs are there to solve problems and feel it's better to say 'PCs are people that do things' in the games I run, or prefer to run. If you really contort the matter you can frame anything as problem solving, but at no point is that mentality present in my usual play group. If the PCs don't intervene in a matter maybe it will resolve itself, or get worse, or turn out to be totally irrelevant. Likewise, intervention is no guarantee of success or a desirable outcome. That's generally what I try to go for.

If you mean the PCs do not exist explicitly to fight the setting's big bag guys, I agree, there are a lot of other stories.

However all stories are problem solving, no contortions required. Person wants <thing>, they cannot have <thing> because <reason> , motivation established and drama ensues.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Nessus posted:

Hopefully 3E, by the time it swings into the GHOST TOWN STATION, will have developed some kind of a vision that gives the Underworld style and gravitas and makes it so that fighting to be king of the Underworld isn't necessarily identical to wanting to become a Candarian demon and literally claim each and every soul of the living.

I just want an underworld where the scary thing about it isn't that it wants everyone to die, but rather that all the dead people are old and have [/i]old ideas[/i] about how things should run and this Democracy of the Dead feels that they could do a better job of ordering living society than whippersnappers who just happen to be walking around.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I just want an underworld where the scary thing about it isn't that it wants everyone to die, but rather that all the dead people are old and have [/i]old ideas[/i] about how things should run and this Democracy of the Dead feels that they could do a better job of ordering living society than whippersnappers who just happen to be walking around.
Eh, in a setting full of semi-immortal superhumans I don't think the underworld as the land of the cold grasping dead hand of history is the best. Unless it's ghosts who want to right the wrongs done to them, that'd be pretty sweet; ghost armies stalking forward, each nemissary the equal of a platoon of mortal soldiers and backed by fell sorceries, out to avenge ancient massacre and wrongful takings.

Really this might be a better dominating theme for the Underworld (as its own thing, as opposed to just the Deathlords sending forth hell creatures). Memory and how it's used or misused. The living (so to speak) past.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 14, 2014

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Mendrian posted:

If you mean the PCs do not exist explicitly to fight the setting's big bag guys, I agree, there are a lot of other stories.

However all stories are problem solving, no contortions required. Person wants <thing>, they cannot have <thing> because <reason> , motivation established and drama ensues.

I see problem-solving as more of a mindset and I completely object to the idea that all stories are problem-solving because no, they're absolutely not, sometimes they're just about people living their lives. I can think of plenty of stories about Pulp heroes and their problem is that 'stuff keeps happening to me'. Except that's not a problem, that's just their life and it's not going to go away or ever get solved. It's the problem-solving mindset that I don't like, where there's a compulsion to chase everything down and try to get that 100% play through or score all the achievements. I have videogames if I want to go down that path and good videogames are invariably much better crafted than any story I'll ever tell or play in.

Exalted is a game where the axiom 'problems exist because the players haven't taken care of them' is missing the point. In Exalted, maybe half of your problems exist because of other people, the other half exist because of you just being yourself.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ithle01 posted:

I see problem-solving as more of a mindset and I completely object to the idea that all stories are problem-solving because no, they're absolutely not, sometimes they're just about people living their lives. I can think of plenty of stories about Pulp heroes and their problem is that 'stuff keeps happening to me'. Except that's not a problem, that's just their life and it's not going to go away or ever get solved. It's the problem-solving mindset that I don't like, where there's a compulsion to chase everything down and try to get that 100% play through or score all the achievements. I have videogames if I want to go down that path and good videogames are invariably much better crafted than any story I'll ever tell or play in.

Exalted is a game where the axiom 'problems exist because the players haven't taken care of them' is missing the point. In Exalted, maybe half of your problems exist because of other people, the other half exist because of you just being yourself.
You sound like truckpump. I don't think there's anything wrong with a sandbox style or even "your characters are plunged into weirdness" (though some campaign styles work better for that than others - a Sidereal ops force would be more sensible for that, I think, than a collection of random Solars.) But don't put yourself or your fun times down, either.

As for pulp heroes, they usually had some motivation even if it was very general; Kimball Kinnison and the Lensman's Load, Indiana Jones out to recover archeological treasures (they belong in a museum, and all that), etc. which would be good places to start off a story arc, and once you've got the ball rolling it can fuel itself ("you have to escape the Nazi castle because you were tied up because they were after your Grail diary and you had to rescue your father", etc.)

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm imagining a Creation with an uncountable number of generations of people like the ones that nearly pushed the USA towards defaulting and...yeah, that's pretty much the scariest drat thing I can think of. Much more than undead rape babies or whatever 2e Abyssals favored.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Transient People posted:

I'm imagining a Creation with an uncountable number of generations of people like the ones that nearly pushed the USA towards defaulting and...yeah, that's pretty much the scariest drat thing I can think of. Much more than undead rape babies or whatever 2e Abyssals favored.

There are far more frightening things in the world.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Imagine having your relationships be judged by twelve generations of your ancestors.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Transient People posted:

Yeah, what's cool about the various existential threats to Creation is that they're cautionary tales, examples of the excess that corrupts the souls of god-kings overlaid onto armies of gribbly monsters. The Wyld is the kind of amoral, solipsistic hedonism that ended up bringing down the First Age. Malfeas is paranoid hierarchical obsession that reacts with white-hot rage that any should say "I am" except through it. The Underworld is hollow tradition, a labyrinthine Gormenghast ruled by ancient ghosts that prey on ancestor worship, where only those things are done which have always been done and the reason is long forgotten.

Since Exalted's Creation is a place where myths happen concretely, the "death curse of the Yozis" can be understood as a literal debuff on your character portrait or something inherent to power, or both. "Curing the Great Curse" is as much about rejecting the Wyld/Malfeas/Underworld within your own heart and acting virtuously as it is bugging Autochthon into building a cosmic handwringer that Lytek can run Exaltations through. Which of these is more difficult is left as an exercise to the GM.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Ugh, now I want to write an in-character thing about that in Maoist "this is an eighth type" style. WHERE'S THE BOOK OBAMA

Lioness
Feb 6, 2014

Fans posted:

I've yet to ever read a Simulationists take on a game world that doesn't make them sound like they want to play Order of the Stick but completely straight faced.
One of my Storytellers is somewhat simulationist in a way that I find makes her games more interesting.
For her Infernal and Sidereal games she produced a list with descriptions of all our NPC co-workers so we'd have a basic working knowledge of who everyone was. This is coupled with the fact that they do some pretty cool things both on and off screen, it makes for a very interesting tonal difference from games where these roles would be window dressing.

Something about the execution better helps the idea that these are people who have their own interesting adventures when they're not on-screen. It's a nice change of pace that makes the world feel more lived in.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Dammit Who? posted:

Ugh, now I want to write an in-character thing about that in Maoist "this is an eighth type" style. WHERE'S THE BOOK OBAMA

Against giving myself over to pleasure, against the rejection of order, against license, against seeing the world as a stage for my own personal drama, against the Wyld - temperate Hesiesh, protect me.

Against subjecting the world beneath my heel, against failing to care for my subordinates, against excusing my actions as but an outgrowth of my nature, against Hell - Dana'd, voice of the weak, ward me.

Against continuing to grasp what ought have moved on, against lingering in the past instead of faithfully building upon it, against being defined by my traumas, against the dusky realms of the dead - Sextes Jylis, renewer of life, defend me.

Against trusting myself too far, against drawing my crown over my eyes, against overturning what is not to be overturned by me, against the hubris of sun and moon - wise Mela, prevent me.

Against succumbing to what not be seen, against giving in to the mistakes that have already been made, against the flaws which I cannot conceive - solid Pasiap, absolve me.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Lioness posted:

One of my Storytellers is somewhat simulationist in a way that I find makes her games more interesting.
For her Infernal and Sidereal games she produced a list with descriptions of all our NPC co-workers so we'd have a basic working knowledge of who everyone was. This is coupled with the fact that they do some pretty cool things both on and off screen, it makes for a very interesting tonal difference from games where these roles would be window dressing.

Something about the execution better helps the idea that these are people who have their own interesting adventures when they're not on-screen. It's a nice change of pace that makes the world feel more lived in.

That's not simulationism, that's putting effort into fleshing out the game world. What we mean when we roll our eyes and groan at 'simulationists' are the rules-as-physics types who demand an engine that, in and of itself, procedurally-generates a game instance through the mere, deterministic act of rolling dice over and over and over, absent the need for any sort of context or player input. The sort of people who say that the Usurpation was impossible under 2.x mechanics, and therefore didn't happen, or who earnestly wonder why nobody's used the Creation-Slaying Oblivion Kick atop Mount Meru to kill everyone or turn the entire world population into ducks.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Dammit Who? posted:

Yeah, what's cool about the various existential threats to Creation is that they're cautionary tales, examples of the excess that corrupts the souls of god-kings overlaid onto armies of gribbly monsters. The Wyld is the kind of amoral, solipsistic hedonism that ended up bringing down the First Age. Malfeas is paranoid hierarchical obsession that reacts with white-hot rage that any should say "I am" except through it. The Underworld is hollow tradition, a labyrinthine Gormenghast ruled by ancient ghosts that prey on ancestor worship, where only those things are done which have always been done and the reason is long forgotten.

I'd actually have the Abyssals be the spectre of the First Age. The ghosts of normal people trying to create historical gridlock is bad enough, but the Abyssals are the ghosts who still have the ideas of the Oldest and Worst age, the kind of terror that you are told about as a kid. And now they want their Golden Age back.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Thesaurasaurus posted:

The sort of people who say that the Usurpation was impossible under 2.x mechanics, and therefore didn't happen, or who earnestly wonder why nobody's used the Creation-Slaying Oblivion Kick atop Mount Meru to kill everyone or turn the entire world population into ducks.

Thinking the game mechanics should at least in theory support the game's background and avoid obvious fridge logic "hang on, why didn't the 5,000-year-old super smart guy do this?" stuff isn't the same as thinking that the game should be a physics engine.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'd actually have the Abyssals be the spectre of the First Age. The ghosts of normal people trying to create historical gridlock is bad enough, but the Abyssals are the ghosts who still have the ideas of the Oldest and Worst age, the kind of terror that you are told about as a kid. And now they want their Golden Age back.

That's a poo poo player splat. Abyssals are, first and foremost, a seeding ground for PC concepts. They should be built with that in mind. This is why 2e Abyssals were such a colossal failure. Repeating that mistake is as pointless as it is nuts.

EDIT: And I say that while my very first Abyssal concept was a deathknight who was born in the first age. He didn't come preemptively brainfucked like the Ghostbyssals would, however, which is a huge, key distinction that needs to be made for the concept to be PC-worthy.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 15, 2014

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Dammit Who? posted:

Since Exalted's Creation is a place where myths happen concretely, the "death curse of the Yozis" can be understood as a literal debuff on your character portrait or something inherent to power, or both. "Curing the Great Curse" is as much about rejecting the Wyld/Malfeas/Underworld within your own heart and acting virtuously as it is bugging Autochthon into building a cosmic handwringer that Lytek can run Exaltations through. Which of these is more difficult is left as an exercise to the GM.

Creation was a mistake, the secret is to embrace the Wyld and live for today, seek the Shining Answer.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

The sort of people who say that the Usurpation was impossible under 2.x mechanics, and therefore didn't happen, or who earnestly wonder why nobody's used the Creation-Slaying Oblivion Kick atop Mount Meru to kill everyone or turn the entire world population into ducks.

The rules should match up to and support the story, though. If the rules say that the Deathlords can murder a good chunk of Creation pretty trivially and the story says that that hasn't happened, then one or the other needs to be changed (the rules, obviously, in this case). Saying that the Usurpation is impossible under the ruleset is an entirely legitimate complaint; you shouldn't have to resort to handwaving to play out that story.

This is possibly the single biggest problem with Exalted; the setting and story suggests that you play youxia-Samson, but the rules support and enforce an incredibly bloody and gritty game where everyone has the lifespan of a fruit fly. The story says that a Dawn caste should almost certainly triumph over a similarly experienced Dragon-Blood, but whoops the DB is packing a grand goremaul and the Solar neglected to buy a perfect defense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I think you're talking about the Solars, actually. :v:

In MY reality tunnel, the ghosts don't want to restore their position of power and privilege, or at least, not the ones you're likely to run into in the modern world. The ghost peasant who is happy getting his chunk of homage, or who has gone to be a ghost slave in Stygia, that guy you don't have to worry about. You have to worry about the ones who want to set things "right..." And that seems like it can just as easily be "the losers of the last war, the massacred, the suppressed, and the voiceless" as it can be "the cold dead hand of the past seeking to constantly be Ghost Dad to the living."

Of course, it also depends which way you wanna pitch it. "Bloody revenge for old injustice" is great if you want to be on the side of the ghosts, after all.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Transient People posted:

That's a poo poo player splat. Abyssals are, first and foremost, a seeding ground for PC concepts. They should be built with that in mind. This is why 2e Abyssals were such a colossal failure. Repeating that mistake is as pointless as it is nuts.

Yeah, I don't really like that idea for several reasons.

Firstly, I think it's a very narrow frame of mind to give a PC splat; One of the issues suffocating Abyssals is that the book gives them about one motivation that doesn't constantly result in them getting chastised/exiled/exploded/etc, and I like to see a wide variety of potential motivations for any player splat.

Secondly, I am kind of starting to hate First Age poo poo that gets any more explicit than uncertain myths and legends. I want it to be more of a mysterious before-time that can materialize in different games as whatever the story needs it to be, to the point of leaving "How corrupt/terrible did things get under the Solars?" as a big open question. I even think the Deathlords being the ghosts of 13 First Age Solars is too explicit nowadays, and I'd prefer them to have brief and vague backgrounds eclipsed by stories of all their current undertakings (primarily in the Underworld, so it seems like the Underworld is actually a good place for big undertakings and has a lot going on).

Lastly, I'd like Abyssals to shed a lot of their Grimdark baggage in favor of a more neutral focus on Death, Memory, and Endings, and I think Infernals would be a much better type of Exalt to represent obsessions with old hierarchies, strange and alien ways of thinking, nonsensical ideas of what is good and right, et cetera due to their association with Malfeas.

Lioness posted:

I am very simulationist in the sense that the main thing I do before I run a game is craft a lot of setpieces and figure out what they all do absent any intervention from the players. Then, I primarily just react and improvise how things all pan out in response to whatever the players do.

There is sense in which I am not simulationist, though; I don't particularly give a poo poo what the rules say when I think about what happens in the player's absence. Like, if I have two armies fighting it out without the player's involvement, I'm not going to use the drat Exalted rules to figure out who wins, because that would be boring as hell and is totally unnecessary. I'm going to either (A) decide randomly or (B) choose the more interesting outcome. The rules for things are there so the players can interact with them within the game, and trying to use the rules in the absence of the players to determine what happens if Ma-Ha-Suchi and The Mask of Winters throw down in Thorns is completely pointless and ridiculous from my perspective. When the Players aren't Playing the Role-Playing Game whatever else happens is just background for them.

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 15, 2014

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Roadie posted:

Thinking the game mechanics should at least in theory support the game's background and avoid obvious fridge logic "hang on, why didn't the 5,000-year-old super smart guy do this?" stuff isn't the same as thinking that the game should be a physics engine.

Tulul posted:

The rules should match up to and support the story, though. If the rules say that the Deathlords can murder a good chunk of Creation pretty trivially and the story says that that hasn't happened, then one or the other needs to be changed (the rules, obviously, in this case). Saying that the Usurpation is impossible under the ruleset is an entirely legitimate complaint; you shouldn't have to resort to handwaving to play out that story.

Yeah, what I'm specifically indicting here are the people who look at these scenarios and think, not "The rules and the narrative are in grave contradiction, therefore the rules ought to be changed to bring gameplay more in line with narrative expectations (along with a lot of other reasons the rules ought to be changed, because Exalted 2e)" as you did, but "The rules and the narrative are in grave contradiction, therefore the narrative is wrong." People who get mad when you veto their attempt to play Pun-Pun, or who think it's possible to empirically-prove the existence of hit points in real life by seeing how many whacks with a sword it takes to get to someone's gooey Tootsie-Roll center (no seriously, this exact argument has been made in some grogmined posts).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Yeah, I don't really like that idea for several reasons.

Firstly, I think it's a very narrow frame of mind to give a PC splat; One of the issues suffocating Abyssals is that the book gives them about one motivation that doesn't constantly result in them getting chastised/exiled/exploded/etc, and I like to see a wide variety of potential motivations for any player splat.

Secondly, I am kind of starting to hate First Age poo poo that gets any more explicit than uncertain myths and legends. I want it to be more of a mysterious before-time that can materialize in different games as whatever the story needs it to be, to the point of leaving "How corrupt/terrible did things get under the Solars?" as a big open question. I even think the Deathlords being the ghosts of 13 First Age Solars is too explicit nowadays, and I'd prefer them to have brief and vague backgrounds eclipsed by stories of all their current undertakings (primarily in the Underworld, so it seems like the Underworld is actually a good place for big undertakings and has a lot going on).

Lastly, I'd like Abyssals to shed a lot of their Grimdark baggage in favor of a more neutral focus on Death, Memory, and Endings, and I think Infernals would be a much better type of Exalt to represent obsessions with old hierarchies, strange and alien ways of thinking, nonsensical ideas of what is good and right, et cetera due to their association with Malfeas.
This all sounds pretty awesome. I guess it's a lot of cruft but it would be kind of neat if the Abyssal core charm set was like you were describing, while Neverborn-aligned or Deathlord-created Charms were the ones that let you do stuff that was explicitly horrible. Though I guess core competencies like "raising zombies" "casting necromancy" and "making people's skeletons explode out of their body" would fall under "Death."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Yeah, what I'm specifically indicting here are the people who look at these scenarios and think, not "The rules and the narrative are in grave contradiction, therefore the rules ought to be changed to bring gameplay more in line with narrative expectations (along with a lot of other reasons the rules ought to be changed, because Exalted 2e)" as you did, but "The rules and the narrative are in grave contradiction, therefore the narrative is wrong." People who get mad when you veto their attempt to play Pun-Pun, or who think it's possible to empirically-prove the existence of hit points in real life by seeing how many whacks with a sword it takes to get to someone's gooey Tootsie-Roll center (no seriously, this exact argument has been made in some grogmined posts).

What do you think is easier to do, though, rewriting the details of the setting to accommodate what the rules actually allow, or rewriting the entire rules system that someone is theoretically being paid to design? Rewriting the fluff of your D&D setting to allow for jealous god-wizards who strike down anyone who attempts to challenge their power (read as: Every campaign is now Dark Sun) is a less monumental task than rewriting the entirety of 3.5 or pathfinder to bring spellcasters in line, and it's not like one or the other is any more valid of an approach for a DM to take.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

RPZip posted:

Every campaign is now Dark Sun ... is a monumental ... valid of an approach for a DM to take.
Well this is the correct way to approach D&D. However, I also think at a certain point it smacks of simulation reasoning. Certainly the Sidereal Doomkick should be adjusted. But I don't think that its existence, even unedited, means that you should structure every campaign with a key question being "Has C.K. killed an entire direction with his Doomkick?" Because that old gently caress isn't necessarily important, to your story, you know?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Nessus posted:

Well this is the correct way to approach D&D. However, I also think at a certain point it smacks of simulation reasoning. Certainly the Sidereal Doomkick should be adjusted. But I don't think that its existence, even unedited, means that you should structure every campaign with a key question being "Has C.K. killed an entire direction with his Doomkick?" Because that old gently caress isn't necessarily important, to your story, you know?

Which means that you're either adjusting the rules (nerf Sidereal Doomkick, or more accurately 'don't use these rules because they're dumb'), the narrative (why hasn't he done the Sidereal Doomkick?), or probably both to varying degrees on a case by case basis depending on what you want to highlight.

It's not that hard to ignore one rules instance in favor of maintaining the setting being somewhat coherent ("Sidereal Doomkick isn't a thing"), but larger, systemic problems like "Lunars are worthless" mean you need to either reevaluate large portions of the setting or rewrite large portions of the rules if you want to maintain that coherency. If those are your choices, rewriting that part of the setting rather than trying to devise a whole new splatbook on your own is a pretty reasonable option.

E: I feel like this is a pretty inarguable point? The intuitive "the rules don't support the narrative I have in mind" is why there are houserules and DM quick fixes, why some things are allowed or disallowed in certain campaigns. The DM rewriting portions of the setting to also fit into the narrative is also the same thing, just from the other direction; the game that you have in front of you isn't the game you actually want.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Transient People posted:

EDIT: And I say that while my very first Abyssal concept was a deathknight who was born in the first age. He didn't come preemptively brainfucked like the Ghostbyssals would, however, which is a huge, key distinction that needs to be made for the concept to be PC-worthy.

I don't see how "First Age ghosts" is as restrictive towards PC concepts as "Must Work To End World Or Else."

That post was mostly just saying that if "this represents the failures of the First Age" is going to be anywhere, it's probably more appropriate in the splat that actually has ties to the First Age and not the wyld.

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 15, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tulul posted:

The rules should match up to and support the story, though.

Rules should reinforce gameplay. If it's a game about being returning god kings the rules should be good for playing returning god kings and reinforcing that sort of play style and theme.

This means it won't be good for playing decadent near omnipotent socialites who all get stabbed in the back by their lessers or the final boss who kills the world. But you're not playing that game.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Mormon Star Wars posted:

That post was mostly just saying that if "this represents the failures of the First Age" is going to be anywhere, it's probably more appropriate in the splat that actually has ties to the First Age and not the wyld.

Well, let me put up the caveat that when I refer to Solars or the First Age, it's not *just* them. It's any king or kingdom that goes rotten. These are the things in Exalted that turn good kings/queens into bad and ultimately dead ones.

The Primordials fell prey to the curse of the Wyld, abandoning their creation for the perfect hedonism of the Games of Divinity - they didn't see any reason not to. Then the gods did the same. The First Age Solars didn't have access to the Jade Pleasure Dome, so they treated Creation and everyone in it like their personal game board. The curse of the Wyld was passed down, even unto the generation of mortals.

The Underworld is the corpse of the First Age, with the Wyld as the murder weapon.

Having retreated into the addictions of power, the Solars (or a bandit-king, or the Perfect of Paragon, or what have you) lacked the consent of the governed or the mandate of heaven, and held onto their thrones only by force of arms. In Exalted that will always be insufficient, and down they went. The kings of the Underworld are what the Solars became- kings without legitimacy, without the justification of their crowns. They're kings of inertia, who instead of wanting justice or prosperity or stability for their people want to continue ruling today solely because they ruled yesterday. In that sense, they are the dark spectre of the First Age; an evil Abyssal might indeed want their First Age kingdom back and be perfectly prepared to kill everyone in it if that's what it took.

That's why I like what they're apparently doing with the Underworld in 3e, changing the Deathlords from invincible slaves to merely very powerful ghosts who spent a lot of time carving out empires. (IMO the threat of the Neverborn and Oblivion should be the same as the threat of the Yozis and Reclamation, i.e. feeble attempts at an impossible dream that can still cause a hell of a lot of incidental trouble by empowering underlings with very different ideas.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I sort of understand where you are comming from, kinda. Your fun is your own fun and all, you have the right to that mindset, however...

quote:

. It's the problem-solving mindset that I don't like, where there's a compulsion to chase everything down and try to get that 100% play through or score all the achievements. I have videogames if I want to go down that path and good videogames are invariably much better crafted than any story I'll ever tell or play in.
Cut that poo poo out. I know we are all huge nerds here, but "your fun is like a videogame, unlike mine" is as meaningless as it is dishonest. we have a thread for dumb poo poo like that, and this isn't it.

• Locked thread