Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.

Hezzy posted:

Is that a 152? There's definitely one still running; used to do Barrow in Furness to Buxton a few years ago. I see it sometimes on the Blackpool line these days

It's a 142 and all the units that weren't reduced to matchwood in alarmingly low-speed accidents are still around. They've been shunted around the network quite a lot as various regions and operators got sick of them, so it may be that they haven't been polluting the rails in his particular neck of the woods for a few years. The colour scheme on that unit dates that picture to the early 90's at the latest.

:spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
A guy I work with worked for the Rock Island when it went bankrupt in 1980. He said you couldn't cash the checks, but you just had to keep working. Then one day the word came through that they had put some money in their bank account from selling off rolling stock and trackage and everyone ran down and cashed their checks and went away to work for other railroads.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Axeman Jim posted:

It's a 142 and all the units that weren't reduced to matchwood in alarmingly low-speed accidents are still around. They've been shunted around the network quite a lot as various regions and operators got sick of them, so it may be that they haven't been polluting the rails in his particular neck of the woods for a few years. The colour scheme on that unit dates that picture to the early 90's at the latest.

:spergin:

Actually it relates to the story in your avatar. It was during the demonstration that your country was putting on for the British Columbian government.

We ended up choosing to just extend the SkyTrain network across the river that very bridge goes over.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I don't know if I ever mentioned it here but Strasburg, Pennsylvania is a loving fantastic railroad town and I've been out there once when I was younger. Family and I went to the Red Caboose Motel, where you can sleep in a caboose, and slept in a baggage car for the night (they were out of cabooses I guess). Also, the Strasburg Rail Road does revenue freight services with their steam locomotives.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I went there a couple years ago, it was pretty great. Stayed at the Red Caboose, rode the Strasberg RR and went to the museum. The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania is definitely worth the stop as well while you're there, I think it has all but 3 of the Pennsylvania Railroad's surviving steam locomotives. Sadly, it doesn't run them.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
That's a pretty nice road they're running on, too.

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS

OSI bean dip posted:

Axeman Jim, you might find this relevant to your avatar:

This wasn't too far from where I live either. I was not old enough to remember these trains, but I was looking for a map and found this and immediately remembered you.

Was there any other information from the site where you got this image? I've never seen passenger service on that line. That picture way predates that road's improvement. Around 20 years ago I was driving a 5-ton along that road, heading east, with freight oncoming along the rails west-bound and a semi oncoming in the opposite lane. I managed to bang my mirror on the semi's mirror and bounce the top of my box off of a boxcar.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Ah, didn't realise that was a picture from our little Canadian adventure.

Not sure why sending a Pacer of all things was meant to showcase the "Best of British". It's like sending Justin Bieber on tour and saying "come to Canada, we're all like this."

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

That's a pretty nice road they're running on, too.

That's the NS mainline, I assure you their own track isn't nearly as nice.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I live kinda near a steam train line, and I saw a video where the carriages had electric lights, how do they generate and distribute the power to run electric lights on a steam train? (Bluebell railway in England)

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Crankit posted:

I live kinda near a steam train line, and I saw a video where the carriages had electric lights, how do they generate and distribute the power to run electric lights on a steam train? (Bluebell railway in England)

If you look up underneath the carriages they probably hid a gasoline powered generator to run the car lights.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Crankit posted:

in the past? They ran a turbine and generator in the locomotive. Now.. it's probally generators.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Some cars used to have generators tied to the axle (way back when). Not sure how prevalent this was in any country, though.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

ijustam posted:

Some cars used to have generators tied to the axle (way back when). Not sure how prevalent this was in any country, though.

Dynamos and batteries was pretty much the standard for electric lighting and steam locomotives, so pretty prevalent. Even then only the prestigious routes would have had the modern carriages though - everyone else would be making do with gas lamps.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Axeman Jim posted:

It's like sending Justin Bieber on tour and saying "come to Canada, we're all like this."
You mean they aren't?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Welp, here is the future :downsgun:
http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/blogs/frank-n-wilner/bnsf-smart-seek-historic-crew-consist-revision.html?channel

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

What did you expect?

Its going to slow down work at yards/terminals if the inbound crew can't do any work on account of only having an engineer.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
It's going to get interesting in the next 5 years or so.

I know I'm already looking at back up plans if/when this all happens in my territory. Either way, I think the company is going to think twice once trains sit dead with issues in remote areas and no one to fix the problem.

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

It's going to get interesting in the next 5 years or so.

I know I'm already looking at back up plans if/when this all happens in my territory. Either way, I think the company is going to think twice once trains sit dead with issues in remote areas and no one to fix the problem.

Dudes were probably saying that when EOTs invented.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Well when there's a broken knuckle and no "master conductor" around to fix it that's when people start caring. But I don't know, this is what the companies want. PTC works great in single main areas but two or 3 mains it fails pretty horribly. The GPS has trouble determining what track your on at times.

Again, back up plans are getting in place for myself. I hope every one else is doing the same.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 18, 2014

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

B4Ctom1 posted:

A guy I work with worked for the Rock Island when it went bankrupt in 1980. He said you couldn't cash the checks, but you just had to keep working. Then one day the word came through that they had put some money in their bank account from selling off rolling stock and trackage and everyone ran down and cashed their checks and went away to work for other railroads.

Lots of Rock Island people went to go work for Metra in Chicago, which was starting up right as the Rock was shutting down. A few years back, one of the TV stations here did a little retrospective of the Rock Island and its demise in the early 80s, and they actually interviewed the engineer who usually drove the morning train I took to work.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Well, at least they ain't changin' the way track is constructed!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Are there any good train podcasts out there? Only one I've found that updates regularly is Let's Talk Trains, which is alright but the audio quality is very 80s AM radio, sometimes there's patches of dead air (first episode I listened to had about 2-3 minutes' worth after the intro) and there's a :spergin: dude who calls in with his "rail mileage" all the time. Pretty informative but some parts of it are a bit...eh.

Also they keep running an ad for The Depot Inn in Missouri and it's catchy as all hell.

9axle
Sep 6, 2009

And they were right. It wasn't very many years later that 3/5ths of the crew was gone. I am reserving judgement on this, I'll wait and see what filters down to CSX. They have been doing a good job of reinvigorating the unions here with their latest push to put everyone out of service. Plus, we will have some time to see what happens at BNSF and to prepare. But I think the writing is on the wall, and I need to have a fall back plan put together soon. Definitely not taking on any new debt or planning a vacation for next year. I applied for a couple temporary transfers to start piling up some cash hopefully.

Skeeber
Jul 13, 2006

That's some shady stuff.

The BNSF guys are in our yard regularly so I asked one of the crews about it tonight. They (and their union) are livid, as apparently the majority of the members got no say or even warning about it, and it went from concept to "voted in" in about 8 hours.

I don't know if it would catch on up here, as a) we don't have PTC, and b) one of the only railroads using a 1 man operation ended up blowing up a small town, so the government has made it very clear that no one can go with less than 2 man crews.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Skeeber posted:

... one of the only railroads using a 1 man operation ended up blowing up a small town ...

Mostly unrelated, but now the locomotive indirectly responsible (broke a piston in the engine) for that incident in Quebec is for sale, along with a lot of other MMA units. See: http://www.adamsauctions.com/servlet/Search.do?auctionId=302 and scroll down to item #116 (engine # 5017).

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I want to be a super conductor, master of all things needing conducting. Maybe we can all just become mto/myos. You can never have enough managers.

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 21, 2014

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

P/ATC is gonna put a few dudes out of jobs, yeah, and it sucks. But it's inevitable. GE has been hammering north american RRs with promises of P/ATC-derived fuel and wear savings that are literally beyond belief for years. The board(s) will abide.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The leader system is hilariously always telling you to speed up and slow down at the wrong moments and never really knows what track we are on in double track areas.

I'm not worried. I've been looking for an out and this may be the kick in the rear end I need to do something else. After doing the management thing and other jobs, this place just lost its appeal. And once it goes to one man crews our retirement system is completely destroyed.

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

once it goes to one man crews our retirement system is completely destroyed.

Why? Not enough people paying in?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Why? Not enough people paying in?

Well, figuring the average conductor paying in around 10k a year (tier 2) and the drastic reduction in through freight conductors... Lay off 100 guys and that's a 1 million dollars a year that will vanish into thin air.

There is a clause to take tier 2 all the way to some massive number like 25% to help fund. This whole no conductor thing could really ripple the whole retirement system for every one else employed by RRs too.

Note: not quality math, just throwing numbers out there.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Wait, so the retirement fund is seriously a literal ponzi, and the regulators are cool with that?

vains
May 26, 2004

No. Its not a ponzi scheme and its no more or less a pyramid scheme than Social Security.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_Retirement_Board

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Well with less people paying in and the same amount drawing on it... It doesn't take much math to figure out that it doesn't work.

Its a self funded retirement system. Right now its flush with cash because most of the time, old farts keel over 3-5 years after retirement. Your body really doesn't like the life style but adapts. Do this poo poo for 35 years then all of a sudden stop doing it? Not looking good.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
So an electrician managed to take out 40 KM of automated metro yesterday...

quote:

"Human error led to yesterday’s Millennium and Expo Line disruptions.

An experienced electrician was installing a new circuit breaker for the Evergreen Line at a power distribution panel when he accidently tripped the main breaker feeding the critical systems at SkyTrain’s operations centre, causing a system-wide shut down of train controls."

http://www.news1130.com/2014/07/22/human-error-led-to-yesterdays-skytrain-shutdown/

Nice to know that our metro system will do great in the event of a natural disaster.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Were the hell was their power redundancy? The main traction is out, but they at least should have UPS or generator supply on the comms systems.

Also you should have more than one feeder point for your traction power.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Graceful degradation wasn't in the design brief, or got dropped under budgetary/delivery pressure? Nobody act surprised!

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

PTC works great in single main areas but two or 3 mains it fails pretty horribly. The GPS has trouble determining what track your on at times.

Not anymore, the GPS is barely an issue anymore. Now the system requires that you tell it what track you are on. After that it just uses flow control from the trackside signals to tell it what track you're on. When you come to a major interchange set of crossovers, the system sometimes asks you which route you're going to be using and gives you a set of choices to select quickly on the screen.

I only know this because, we are using the "Locomotive Engineer Assist Display and Event Recorder" or "LEADER" program which is sort of operationally like PTC lite. It uses all the navigation and operation profiles of PTC, but with none of the authority controls of it. We actually use the PTC screens and equipment for LEADER.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Strange, we are always battling it on our side of the world. Its getting better slowly, but for some reason it constantly thinks we are on one track and not the other.

I would imagine over time we are going to go from 2 guys, 1 guy, no men in the cab. Behind diesel, labor is the biggest expense on the RR>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Some guy from Virginia took this pic. You need to like and follow Hogg Law on Facebook.

Phone posting so I timg'ed it since I cannot guard against table breakage.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 24, 2014