Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Just be careful because a lot of jasmine rice is a mixture of 75/25 percent jasmine to regular white rice which will throw off your water ratio just enough to make you feel like something ain't right but not enough to know that's what it is. The big 20lb bags are most notorious for this. Granted they say so right on the bag but its in small print and easily missed. If you want 100% jasmine rice I've only ever seen it in the smaller 10lb bags (and its more expensive).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Also don't buy any food product from mainland China.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

branedotorg posted:

Cook it in a rice cooker. Wash off the starch. Use the right amount of water for mine with long grain and jasmine it's about 1:1.5 rice to water.

This is 100% true. I only ever cook rice in a rice cooker, which is a no-brainer easy way to get rice that sticks together that for me, seeing non-sticking-rice dishes is actually kind of surreal.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
My problem I always had with my old rice cooker was that it would burn the poo poo out of the rice on the bottom and cooked crappy rice. I switched back to stovetop and started gettting great rice again.

I think if I made rice more than once or twice a week I would look into investing in a quality rice cooker though.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You guys need to spend $1300 on the best rice cooker in the market.

http://www.panasonic.hk/english/products/kitchen/rice-cooker/sr-spx183.aspx :downsrim:

shaitan posted:

My problem I always had with my old rice cooker was that it would burn the poo poo out of the rice on the bottom and cooked crappy rice. I switched back to stovetop and started gettting great rice again.

I think if I made rice more than once or twice a week I would look into investing in a quality rice cooker though.

You can still use your rice cooker, just stir the bottom when the rice is almost done. If you want to be fancy just add a dash of mirin to it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Alternately turn burned rice into awesome with a little oil and aromatics. Crunchy delicious crust ahoy. It could still burn if the cooker is bad enough though.

You don't need to spend a lot of money on a rice cooker that doesn't burn your rice.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cabe just wants you to give him money.

My lovely basic $20 rice cooker will sort of crisp the very bottom. It's still edible but even if you don't eat it, you're only losing like 1% of your rice. You just had a bad cooker I suspect. I've had three different bargain basement ones and none of them would make burned inedible rice at the bottom.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
My $20 (or maybe $30, it's been a while) rice cooker doesn't burn rice either. Though frankly crispy rice is delicious.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Soak rice. If it's a new crop, i.e. less than a couple of months old, this is not necessary. Wash it a few times, the amount of water needs to be tuned but should for a portion of rice enough for two or three people in a 2l pot be about as deep as the first joint on a finger. Bring to a boil rapidly, use two chopsticks to stir the rice so it gets evenly cooked, then stick on the lid and leave for another 15-20 minutes without lifting it off. Perfect every time.

The thing is water. Different types take different amount and need different amounts of soaking. This must be determined for each batch you buy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have never soaked rice, including when I worked in a Japanese kitchen. Soaking rice is fine but I'm convinced it's not necessary for regular old steamed white rice.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's not necessary but it creates a different texture. I like it more than unsoaked, it's just personal preference though.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Also don't buy any food product from mainland China.

So how far do you all go with following this, if you follow it at all? I haven't made Chinese food in a while because trying to make dishes without using things made in China or even Taiwan is really difficult. I believe there are stories about food issues with things coming out of Hong Kong too.

I say this, but it's zhong time really soon and nothing is getting between me and a freezer full of zhong this year.

And, has anyone tried making their own tofu? If you have any tips or tricks, I'd love to know them before I make an attempt.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Just fyi, zongzi, not just zong. It took me a few seconds to understand what you were saying.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

Just fyi, zongzi, not just zong. It took me a few seconds to understand what you were saying.

Ahem, Cantonese speakers tend to have a lot more one syllable words than mandarin. Because we are smarter and pick things up from context much faster. As if adding the word zi makes everything more clear, in the food thread:downsgun:

Actually maybe because our food is mostly gutter oil free (for now).

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

caberham posted:

Ahem, Cantonese speakers tend to have a lot more one syllable words than mandarin. Because we are smarter and pick things up from context much faster. As if adding the word zi makes everything more clear, in the food thread:downsgun:

Actually maybe because our food is mostly gutter oil free (for now).

Is it really zhong in Cantonese? Whoops. You'd think I'd know that having lived with a Cantonese chef for a year.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Rurutia posted:

Is it really zhong in Cantonese? Whoops. You'd think I'd know that having lived with a Cantonese chef for a year.

Yep. Alas, all the Cantonese I know is food related.

squigadoo fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 14, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

Romanization is weird. We might as well call it Suicide Poet's sticky rice triangles of dubious filling :downsrim:

squigadoo posted:

So how far do you all go with following this, if you follow it at all? I haven't made Chinese food in a while because trying to make dishes without using things made in China or even Taiwan is really difficult. I believe there are stories about food issues with things coming out of Hong Kong too.

I say this, but it's zhong time really soon and nothing is getting between me and a freezer full of zhong this year.

And, has anyone tried making their own tofu? If you have any tips or tricks, I'd love to know them before I make an attempt.

Don't listen to this kimchi hating heathen. Food poisoning once or twice is definitely fine. Besides, Lao Gan Ma is God.

Yes, there are food scare stories all the time, but home cooking significantly reduces your risk.

caberham fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 15, 2014

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah, I use a lot of things made from China. Most of it gets inspected so if there's an issue it's often caught. I mean, China has a huge population that's all eating it so...

caberham posted:

Romanization is weird. We might as well call it Suicide Poet's sticky rice triangles of dubious filling :downsrim:

Haha. The latter would've made more sense to me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

squigadoo posted:

hahahahahaahaHAHAHAHAHAHA :suicide:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

caberham posted:

Besides, Lao Gan Ma is God.

Quoted for truth.

I've gotten to the stage where I use two different types just for fried rice. It is the best range of jarred sauces in the universe.

:colbert:

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

caberham posted:

sticky rice triangles of dubious filling

AKA peanuts.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I found some Lao Gan Ma pickled Chinese cabbage the other day and bought a jar just because it's Lao Gan Ma. Now what do I do with it?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Can I make that delicious sticky rice I get in chinese restaurants just from basmati rice? How can I do that?

My other question is more complex: I always take the same dish from the local chinese place, chicken and vegetables or curry chicken, which is the same dish but with curry. There's carrot, cucumber, bamboo shoots, onions and, of course, chicken it it, plus some spices I don't know about. It's more of an broth rather than a western style thick sauce, but it's extremely rich and tasty. I don't know what spices there are. If I just could replicate this dish and perfect it I would be iun heaven, I love that stuff and it would save me a ton of money. How can I achieve this? It's a very basic meal, nothing complex, so where should I start? What to do?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Mons Hubris posted:

I found some Lao Gan Ma pickled Chinese cabbage the other day and bought a jar just because it's Lao Gan Ma. Now what do I do with it?

You can make your wildest dreams come true.

Actually I've never seen Lao Gan Ma pickled cabbage. Normally in China that's only used as a cold appetizer.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

Can I make that delicious sticky rice I get in chinese restaurants just from basmati rice? How can I do that?

My other question is more complex: I always take the same dish from the local chinese place, chicken and vegetables or curry chicken, which is the same dish but with curry. There's carrot, cucumber, bamboo shoots, onions and, of course, chicken it it, plus some spices I don't know about. It's more of an broth rather than a western style thick sauce, but it's extremely rich and tasty. I don't know what spices there are. If I just could replicate this dish and perfect it I would be iun heaven, I love that stuff and it would save me a ton of money. How can I achieve this? It's a very basic meal, nothing complex, so where should I start? What to do?

ManOfTheYear posted:

Sticky rice is made from a short grain rice. You cannot do that with basmati. What kind of sticky rice are you referring to? Does it come from the sticky rice wrapped in a leaf at dimsum? Is it sticky with things in it, but leaf-free? Or are you referring rice that just comes out of a rice cooker, eaten on the side with your order?

As for the 2nd, it sounds like a curry and I never considered curry Chinese. If it came to China, it probably came via Malaysia or Indonesia or India or... etc. All those countries can duke it out over who originated curry.

If you want to make your own curry, people have different ways of doing it. My family is from Singapore, so the curry we make is Malaysian influenced.

Get whatever you want in your curry, curry powder, and coconut milk. Slice up your veggies and meat, heat some oil in a pot, and sweat your onions on medium-low heat. Make a paste with your curry powder while you are sweating your onions with water and when your onions are translucent, push them to the side, heat a bit more oil and drop the curry paste in. Fry the curry paste (you made need a bit more oil) until it smells amazing. Add the rest of your ingredients, <1/2 cup of water, and bring the pot to a boil. Lower the heat, cover it, and simmer. When everything is cooked, pour in the coconut milk (the richness and thickening comes from this). Adjust your seasoning and eat.

do not add excess water to cover your fillings. Everything is going to extrude water as it cooks, even the chicken, and more water will make it a sad watery mess.

I am not even going to get into curry powder types. You really have to find one that you like. Sadly, I do not come from a family with a super secret curry powder formulation, so I rely on mixes that are from Malaysia. I don't like Japanese style curries at all, and am not fond of Indian or Indonesian curries. Sometimes, I get people to send me huge bags of curry powder from Singapore and for a year, my curry is quite nice.

squigadoo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 16, 2014

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

hahahahahaahaHAHAHAHAHAHA :suicide:

A little cadmium now and then probably isn't going to hurt you.

Probably.

Now and then.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
It's not like there's no heavy metals in fish...
our government (European) pays this institute to tell us that we should eat fish twice a week to stay healthy,
and then there's someone who studied for it coming along to tell us that its probably not wise to eat fish more than once a week considering the heavy metal content, duh

I just eat whatever I like and I'm still alive and everything

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

We're all gonna die anyway.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Grand Fromage posted:

We're all gonna die anyway.

Amen

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

ManOfTheYear posted:

So when I've had Chinese curry with a brothy consistency that you're talking about, it's only had garlic, ginger, onion, potato, carrot, and chicken legs in it, then cooked in water with a LOT of curry powder in it. The brand I've seen used for it is S&B Oriental Curry Powder. That said, it may or may not be the same dish. One thing I have noticed about Chinese/Vietnamese curry powders is that there is less coriander in them than in Indian curry powders. A brand that I like more than S&B is the one used in this recipe.

Also it's definitely a Chinese dish and pretty much any country near in Southeast Asia has its own version.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I tried making zongzi once but it was a disaster. I think you have to be at least a small Asian grandma to perfect it.

Also I got one of those $140 Zojirushi rice cookers like 4 years ago and it's amazing. I even cooked a whole chicken in it once (my oven broke and I didn't know what to do)

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
What can I do with pidan eggs other than chop it and use as a topping for jook?

ManOfTheYear posted:

Not really; stickiness is a quality of the cultivar of rice. It has to do with the composition of the sugars that make up the starch in the rice grain, and how it interacts with water when steamed. Basmati and Jasmine doesn't really have very good affinity to water; hence when steamed, the grain tend to be dry, crumbly and have a matte quality. Japanese medium grain varieties like Koshihikari tend to have a moderate affinity for water, resulting in firm but separate grains, and a glossy sheen. Varieties that are sticky, like mochi, tend to have a high affinity with water, and when steamed start to melt together.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

ookuwagata posted:

What can I do with pidan eggs other than chop it and use as a topping for jook?

Slice chilled, good silken tofu, tile on serving dish, top with halved and quartered pí dàn, torn fresh coriander, chopped spring onion, chopped pickles like zhacai or similar, and pour over a good light soy. I like very much to mix some hot chili oil like Ning Chi into the soy sauce as well as sesame oil. Rousong (pork floss) optional. There's a lot of room for improvisation. My personal favourite variation is finely chopped Thai birdseye chilies. Delicious as a snack with beer or anytime else.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Quarter, dip in black vinegar+chopped ginger, eat.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This is more a Korean food question but they're like right next to each other... how long will a jar of kimchi keep in the fridge after opening? I have one that's a few months old, smells and looks ok but I'm wondering how long it has left.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

This is more a Korean food question but they're like right next to each other... how long will a jar of kimchi keep in the fridge after opening? I have one that's a few months old, smells and looks ok but I'm wondering how long it has left.

I keep mine in the pantry and it's been there for at least 5 months. v:shobon:v

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Pham Nuwen posted:

Pretty much forever, does it have mold growing on it? It went bad, otherwise it really doesn't.

kimchi can be aged for years before people buy/eat it. When I was younger some of the old ladies I knew would make it and burry it in the back yard for weeks at a time.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rawrbomb posted:

Pretty much forever, does it have mold growing on it? It went bad, otherwise it really doesn't.

kimchi can be aged for years before people buy/eat it. When I was younger some of the old ladies I knew would make it and burry it in the back yard for weeks at a time.

Awesome, I actually think I have two half-empty jars I can eat.

I got a cast iron wok as a wedding present and used it for the first time a few days ago. Kicks rear end on my regular gas stove because it holds heat, it really did a great job on a chicken stir fry. No sticking (even on the first use) and I think it's one of my tastiest attempts.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

There is a Korean food thread!

Kimchi will keep basically forever, especially in a fridge. If it's not moldy and doesn't smell like death it's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

Sjurygg posted:

Slice chilled, good silken tofu, tile on serving dish, top with halved and quartered pí dàn, torn fresh coriander, chopped spring onion, chopped pickles like zhacai or similar, and pour over a good light soy. I like very much to mix some hot chili oil like Ning Chi into the soy sauce as well as sesame oil. Rousong (pork floss) optional. There's a lot of room for improvisation. My personal favourite variation is finely chopped Thai birdseye chilies. Delicious as a snack with beer or anytime else.

totalnewbie posted:

Quarter, dip in black vinegar+chopped ginger, eat.

Well, it sounds like it's time to go to Ranch 99.

Maybe this question belongs more in the beer thread, but what sort of beer goes well with different Chinese food?