Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

It might vary from location to location, because i had an umami burger in pasadena and it was AMAZING, then had one in the arts district and it was pretty meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

It might vary from location to location, because i had an umami burger in pasadena and it was AMAZING, then had one in the arts district and it was pretty meh.

Umami is funny because the La Brea and Hollywood locations are great but the Los Feliz and Santa Monica are consistently terrible. I'm not sure how their management works.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Hmm, I had an Umami burger for the first time a couple of months ago at the Pasadena location, and I thought it was pretty mediocre...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

drat, you'd almost think that a person's judgement of a restaurant based on a single visit and a single dish might be a bit variable and subjective! Weird, guys.

(This is why the food wars in this thread are terrible. Almost nobody has ever bothered to give an in-depth review, it's all just "x burgers are poo poo" "y burritos are great" "z sucks".)

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Burgers and burritos are great, banh-mi are the up-and-coming, hole-in-the-wall places are the best.

Let's talk about hole-in-the-wall places.

Because I can't shut up about Irvine, there's a small hole-in-the-wall sandwich shop named Le Diplomate Cafe next to the university. Order anything with the garlic sauce... it is fantastic.

Food truck places are big in SoCal, but I have no idea if our NorCal brethren are as inundated with them as well. What does the goon-on-the-street say?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Varies a lot depending on local ordnance. My home town just passed some laws to make it easier for food trucks! Yay!

I hear there's loads of good ones in SF and Oakland.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

kittenkicker posted:

Food truck places are big in SoCal, but I have no idea if our NorCal brethren are as inundated with them as well. What does the goon-on-the-street say?

Eh, there's a bunch in the Bay Area, but imo not many of them are good outside of the novelty. Or at least not anymore and maybe I'm being rose-tinted, but I remember them being much better ~5 years ago. Now, they're decent tasting, but not particularly great value and not worth seeking out unless you were really hungry and passing by and I can't think of "oh god you've got to try this truck!" anymore. A typical single main item will cost about $7-9 with varying degrees of filling-ness, which is ok but not great. Many lunch spots will charge about the same and often I'll eat and go "well that was alright, but I could have just went to a taqueria and got a bigger burrito for cheaper". There used to be some pretty decent local no-frills taco trucks when I was living in Santa Rosa but there aren't that many around SF area (but I haven't looked too hard).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Xaris posted:

I was living in Santa Rosa but there aren't that many around SF area (but I haven't looked too hard).

Gotta go to oakland

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

kittenkicker posted:

There's at least half a dozen here in Arcata, despite the fact we've got a population of well under 20,000. But we've got a very young overall population and we just love our quirky eateries.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I still don't get the hype behind Habit. They just built one at my school and I've tried it a couple times, but it doesn't seem as good as In N Out or Five Guys.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

RabbitMage posted:

There's at least half a dozen here in Arcata, despite the fact we've got a population of well under 20,000. But we've got a very young overall population and we just love our quirky eateries.

That's pretty neat. I've always wanted to visit the aquarium... now I'll have to find the food trucks too!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

nm posted:

Gotta go to oakland

There's at least one good one in Petaluma behind the Safeway. Still makes me miss the SF trucks of old though.

:foodchat:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
We get food trucks every Friday near City Hall in Fremont. Shame they're not too interesting, though.

starksfergie
Jul 24, 2007

I'm just content to relax and drown within myself
On Thursday in SF proper, Off The Grid runs about 11 food trucks near Kezar Stadium just at the end of Haight or Waller and Stanyan. Also Fort Mason does the same thing (I think on Fridays), there are usually quite a few downtown during the lunch hours and then set up as a group all around town during the week... and yeah, some are great (and it is usually a good time), but some aren't worth the money (I guess that's the fun of trying some of them out)

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
SF has food trucks all over the place, really. In addition to the above there's a permanent rotating pod called SOMA StreatFood over at Bryant and 11th/13th ish, which often has a few good trucks attending. Brannan between 7th/8th hosts at least one different truck every day. And that's just what's near my (poorly located) office.

One that I miss from time spent closer to downtown is JapaCurry which hangs out in the financial district most of the time and has really tasty (if simple) curry dishes :love:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
The best part about the Habit is that they'll pretty much do anything within reason that you ask. It's so simple. Do you want half onion rings, half sweet potato fries? They'll do it.

And if you love onion rings and haven't tried them yet at the Habit, I suggest you make the trek this lunch hour. They are the best.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

starksfergie posted:

On Thursday in SF proper, Off The Grid runs about 11 food trucks near Kezar Stadium just at the end of Haight or Waller and Stanyan.

Full schedule of Off The Grid locations: https://www.facebook.com/OffTheGridSF/events

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

The JPop Summit is happening this weekend at Japantown SF. I don't give a poo poo about that though.

What has my interest though is Ramen Yokocho, which is apparently a bunch of ramen shops that will be serving ramen to people.

I understand that pretty much every goddamn foodie in the Bay Area is going to flock to this. And while I may do the same, I heard a lot of disorganization and chaos (and long lines) when they tried to do this in SoCal a few months back.

Any foodie goons have experience with Ramen Yokocho?

edit: I might as well just grab some ramen at Halu or Orenchi at this point.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Dancing Peasant posted:

I understand that pretty much every goddamn foodie in the Bay Area is going to flock to this.

I'd rather kill myself.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i love ramen, can't get enough of it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I buy little baggies of uncooked fresh ramen noodles at Tokyo Fish Market in Berkeley, and then make my ramen at home. The baggies cost like one dollar.

I also get decent ramen at I Heart Ramen in Concord. It's probably not quite as good as the top-end places, but it's inexpensive and the lady running the place is serious about quality - so much so that, annoyingly, if you phone in an order she refuses to start cooking it till you show up, because she doesn't want it to sit around waiting for you because it'll overcook and go mushy.

Which sucks when I just want to phone in from home, get there in 4 minutes, and get back and eat before my lunch break is over. But gently caress it because the ramen is pretty drat good.

Ramen.

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012
Hello all.

I posted a thread about camping in northern california and not had much love there so I thought I would post here...

My girlfriend and I are going to road trip from Denver to California roughly between September 11th to 21.

We are planning to go to Redwood, Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks. Camping about 2-3 nights in each place. Going to drive 16ish hours to Oregon or Reno then to Redwood the next day.

Tell me about:

Where to stay? (good campgrounds/locations)
Where to go? (Redwoods sucks go to (blank))
Where to eat? (Fatty, don't eat at every In and Out you see)
Where to hike? (If you haven't ate too much In and Out, walk up this hill)
How to get from point A to B? (Don't take the 101, go this route cause its purdy)
Any other recommendations you may have would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks for your time.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I thought you had to book Yosemite like six months in advance?

KoB
May 1, 2009

bobula posted:

I thought you had to book Yosemite like six months in advance?

It depends on what sort of site you want. (or if you want a proper campsite at all).

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Hello all.

I posted a thread about camping in northern california and not had much love there so I thought I would post here...

My girlfriend and I are going to road trip from Denver to California roughly between September 11th to 21.

We are planning to go to Redwood, Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks. Camping about 2-3 nights in each place. Going to drive 16ish hours to Oregon or Reno then to Redwood the next day.

Tell me about :

Where to stay? (good campgrounds/locations)
Where to go? (Redwoods sucks go to (blank))
Where to eat? (Fatty, don't eat at every In and Out you see)
Where to hike? (If you haven't ate too much In and Out, walk up this hill)
How to get from point A to B? (Don't take the 101, go this route cause its purdy)
Any other recommendations you may have would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks for your time.

Did you find the hiking/backpacking thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521471

Are you car camping with tents/lodging/backpacking at all?

Starting off your planning by just looking at the Park websites isn't a bad idea. You can find fairly accurate campsite reviews on Yelp as well. Just plot out the driving as it will take longer than it shows in many cases on summer crowded mountain roads. If you can schedule the longer drive days during weekends do it as crowds are much much much better on weekdays.

I don't know much about Redwoods National/State Parks besides driving through them but again Yelp has many helpful reviews. Was planning to go up there last summer to Jedidiah Smith/Mill Creek/ Patrick's Point but it never panned out. Beware of rednecks/tweakers escaping from the Redding area of the central valley oven taking over all the beach spots with RV's and obnoxious kids.

For Yosemite I'd spend all of day 1 in the valley day 2 drive up to Glacier point do some hikes up that way or up Tioga pass for some hikes. It will be easier to leave the area from Glacier point area though.

This guys' website owns for yosemite hikes. Wawona tunnel/Inspiration point is a great place to start.

http://www.yosemitehikes.com/

I would also avoid staying in the valley (you won't find any openings anyway) and finding a walk in campsite might be hard at even remote places. Motels at places like El Portal are a good choice if you can afford it and will be close to the park.

Sequoia-Kings Canyon

Grant grove has walk in campsites go for that to start and plan on some nice day hikes but plan where you are going/how long your hike is/where you are staying accordingly.

All these places will seem touristy and crowded so don't expect the full outdoor Jeremiah Johnson experience.

Also working from Reno/Redwoods/Yosemite/Sequoia-Kings Canyon is a good idea and then bail south and up and around Bakersfield/Las Vegas and back to Denver.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

KoB posted:

It depends on what sort of site you want. (or if you want a proper campsite at all).

Those cabins that were (are?) full of hanta virus you can grab not too far in advance.

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012

KoB posted:

Just tent camping. I know where BLM land is in Colorado. I don't mind roughing it a night or two. When looking at some places they say for the tent camping areas you can't reserve them so I figured we would drive around until we found something.... also why i posted this :D

Keyser S0ze posted:

Did you find the hiking/backpacking thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521471

Are you car camping with tents/lodging/backpacking at all?

We are going to do car camping with a tent and a tent cot i believe... quick set up. The main focus will be to hike. I want to fly fish but I don't see it being worth the money for the amount of time we will be there.

And no, I haven't looked there yet. That will be next stop after finishing this post.

Keyser S0ze posted:

Starting off your planning by just looking at the Park websites isn't a bad idea. You can find fairly accurate campsite reviews on Yelp as well. Just plot out the driving as it will take longer than it shows in many cases on summer crowded mountain roads. If you can schedule the longer drive days during weekends do it as crowds are much much much better on weekdays.

I have done this and as i stated before they were saying that tent camping spots were not open to reservations. But no biggie. We are actually going in the middle of September. I am hoping that will thin out the crowd a little bit.

Keyser S0ze posted:

For Yosemite I'd spend all of day 1 in the valley day 2 drive up to Glacier point do some hikes up that way or up Tioga pass for some hikes. It will be easier to leave the area from Glacier point area though.

This guys' website owns for yosemite hikes. Wawona tunnel/Inspiration point is a great place to start.

http://www.yosemitehikes.com/

I would also avoid staying in the valley (you won't find any openings anyway) and finding a walk in campsite might be hard at even remote places. Motels at places like El Portal are a good choice if you can afford it and will be close to the park.

Thanks for the link, it will be helpful. Reading about Yosemite has made us think that maybe we skip it. Many of the waterfalls disappear in Autumn and it isn't as pretty... plus its crowded.

Keyser S0ze posted:

Sequoia-Kings Canyon

Grant grove has walk in campsites go for that to start and plan on some nice day hikes but plan where you are going/how long your hike is/where you are staying accordingly.

All these places will seem touristy and crowded so don't expect the full outdoor Jeremiah Johnson experience.

For us this is the annoying part. We are nurses and only go to the mountains on weekends...usually on a nice long hike a couple hour drive from town we don't see anyone. Most of our favorite places are NOT in national parks... but that is just a starting point for us.

Anywhere else to check out? I was thinking of driving down highway one and stopping by somewhere to camp near the beach? is it worth it? The pictures i see look pretty enough.

For a route, we were thinking http://tinyurl.com/ly2n6ab.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
You put the period as part of the URL, which may confuse some people.

This looks like an amazing road trip. I gotta organize something like that myself some day.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Just tent camping. I know where BLM land is in Colorado. I don't mind roughing it a night or two. When looking at some places they say for the tent camping areas you can't reserve them so I figured we would drive around until we found something.... also why i posted this :D

We are going to do car camping with a tent and a tent cot i believe... quick set up. The main focus will be to hike. I want to fly fish but I don't see it being worth the money for the amount of time we will be there.

And no, I haven't looked there yet. That will be next stop after finishing this post.

I have done this and as i stated before they were saying that tent camping spots were not open to reservations. But no biggie. We are actually going in the middle of September. I am hoping that will thin out the crowd a little bit.

Thanks for the link, it will be helpful. Reading about Yosemite has made us think that maybe we skip it. Many of the waterfalls disappear in Autumn and it isn't as pretty... plus its crowded.

For us this is the annoying part. We are nurses and only go to the mountains on weekends...usually on a nice long hike a couple hour drive from town we don't see anyone. Most of our favorite places are NOT in national parks... but that is just a starting point for us.

Anywhere else to check out? I was thinking of driving down highway one and stopping by somewhere to camp near the beach? is it worth it? The pictures i see look pretty enough.

For a route, we were thinking http://tinyurl.com/ly2n6ab.

Your route has you going by Crater Lake NP, which is amazing and doable in a day if needed. Also if you were going to cut Yosemite or Redwoods, I'd pick to go to Yosemite. You can see beautiful big trees there (and at Muir Woods if you drive by San Francisco) and also just fabulous scenery. If Yosemite Valley is crowded, the park is surrounded by huge National Forests which have campgrounds and many many secluded spots.

I'm also a big fan of the old forest ranger cabins you can rent on recreation.gov . Those are often pretty close to the big parks, but in amazing spots of land you'd never see otherwise.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Even if you just drive through, I still recommend you go to Yosemite if you've never been. I've seen a lot of beautiful places, but Yosemite is something magic. It's like nowhere else on earth.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah on a road trip like that you are an idiot if you don't drive through Yosemite (you will also ending up wanting to stop for at least a little while).

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Along with Crater Lake being nearby, your route also takes you within an hour of a place called Lava Beds National Monument near the CA/OR border which is situated on the flank of a huge shield volcano and is famous for its high concentration of sweet lava tube caves, most of which are concentrated in a small area, so you could explore most of them in 2-3 hours. It's a worthwhile detour if you like caves and have a couple headlamps handy. Crowds are almost never a concern there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lassen is also a cool place to go for a day hike. Check out Bumpass Hell.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tacier posted:

Along with Crater Lake being nearby, your route also takes you within an hour of a place called Lava Beds National Monument near the CA/OR border which is situated on the flank of a huge shield volcano and is famous for its high concentration of sweet lava tube caves, most of which are concentrated in a small area, so you could explore most of them in 2-3 hours. It's a worthwhile detour if you like caves and have a couple headlamps handy. Crowds are almost never a concern there.

I'm heading to Crate Lake in September and have been looking for places to stop on the way back down so thanks for this recommendation.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
When will the name of this thread turn into "Jefferson Megathread: Best State of the 6 new Formerly California States"?

http://time.com/2983496/california-six-state-proposal-vote/

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
The worst people in the world-- financiers and engineers who think they're good people just because they don't hate fags-- are constantly mad because their money is collected by the state and distributed outside the very needy, downtrodden Silicon Valley. Seems like a great fix that everyone can get behind.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This has been discussed a bit before, I forget if it was this thread or the california politics thread in D&D. There are a whole slew of serious problems completely or mostly unaddressed by the six-state proposal. Some of them that come to mind include: water rights, distribution of existing state debt obligations, disruption of the party balance in the senate (which would have to ratify statehoods), legal jurisdictions, distribution of existing prisoners among state prisons, shared infrastructure, the current high degree of centralization of primary and secondary school systems, state educational standards, state and federal (but state-managed) entitlement programs like MediCal and affordable care act...

The list goes on and on. Splitting up a modern American state would have colossal costs and take decades to sort out. Once voters get some sense of just how invasive and disruptive this would be, they are likely to lose interest. Especially the people who will see their tax burdens rise in order to create entirely new modern state government infrastructures from nothing, lose centuries-old water rights, or find themselves working in a different state than they live in.

It's a fun thing to dream about divorcing your region from regions you see as politically incompatible, but the practicalities are so obviously horrible to contemplate that it brings into stark relief just how little the people backing this proposal actually understand about how a state functions. It's a joke, and the joke is on the people who take it seriously.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Leperflesh posted:

This has been discussed a bit before, I forget if it was this thread or the california politics thread in D&D. There are a whole slew of serious problems completely or mostly unaddressed by the six-state proposal. Some of them that come to mind include: water rights, distribution of existing state debt obligations, disruption of the party balance in the senate (which would have to ratify statehoods), legal jurisdictions, distribution of existing prisoners among state prisons, shared infrastructure, the current high degree of centralization of primary and secondary school systems, state educational standards, state and federal (but state-managed) entitlement programs like MediCal and affordable care act...

The list goes on and on. Splitting up a modern American state would have colossal costs and take decades to sort out. Once voters get some sense of just how invasive and disruptive this would be, they are likely to lose interest. Especially the people who will see their tax burdens rise in order to create entirely new modern state government infrastructures from nothing, lose centuries-old water rights, or find themselves working in a different state than they live in.

It's a fun thing to dream about divorcing your region from regions you see as politically incompatible, but the practicalities are so obviously horrible to contemplate that it brings into stark relief just how little the people backing this proposal actually understand about how a state functions. It's a joke, and the joke is on the people who take it seriously.

Well luckily the only ones who support this are delusional yokels who live in the smallest counties in the state (population wise) so it will never ever get close to passing.

That said, it will probably do better than average in Orange County.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

As much as I too confuse these 2 threads, can we keep this one for helping people plan trips and talk about burritos and bicker about policy and poo poo in the other thread?

*proceeds to post about Oregon*

But seriously, how can you drive through Southern Oregon and not go here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

lose centuries-old water rights

Well, wrestling the water rights back from the Fiji Water corp would be kinda nice.

• Locked thread