Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Froghammer posted:

It's not, like, Wurmcoil good, but it's big and scary and can go in lots of different kind of decks, so there'll probably be a home for it.

Also it's a giant crab made out of crabs. What's not to love?

Scuttling Doom Engine is awesome, but I have no idea what deck would want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Big Green likes to pump out big scary things quickly.
Coincidentally, it also hates being chump blocked. :getin:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Elyv posted:

Big green could, and anything that uses generator servant and shrapnel blast. Tossing around an idea for a b/r deck that uses those and rescue from the underworld to maximize scuttle value.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Kitchen table Gift of Immortality - Scuttling Doom Engine decks are being made as we speak.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It's the Mobile Oppression Palace.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Howl's Moving Castle.
If it was made of crabs and hurting. And Doom, lots of doom

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Elyv posted:

It is a pretty obvious deliberate answer to Elspeth.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zorak posted:

...Somehow I did not think of this.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Scuttling Doom Engine is perfectly named please no Scuttling Doom Engine shaming in this thread.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Zorak posted:

What would make it perfect is if it's Phyrexian made. Kinda looks like it too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Guys help, I bought the black/white deck, played against some of my friends using their own dumb newbie decks (one of them used the red/black newbie deck and another used this deck she built for shits and giggles just to see how it went and she destroyed me, teaching me that I should probably build a real deck) and now I'm looking for good MTG podcasts and bought a week of that Star City site's premium to check them out.

This is basically me right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUCfX1P1ik

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Seems like a smart way to sell a few more cards. Go ahead and push Theros a bit, but now we're done with all that Theros nonsense and we want people buying Khans for Standard, so here's a card that destroys all enchantments, and here's a colorless card anyone can sideboard that obliterates Elspeth.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Guys help, I bought the black/white deck, played against some of my friends using their own dumb newbie decks (one of them used the red/black newbie deck and another used this deck she built for shits and giggles just to see how it went and she destroyed me, teaching me that I should probably build a real deck) and now I'm looking for good MTG podcasts and bought a week of that Star City site's premium to check them out.

SCG Premium's demographic is typically high volume tournament players, and many of them read it for nearly free (since entry into an SCG Open includes 1 free month). I don't recommend spending money on it unless you reeeeally like the writers or are interested in big tournament play.

You can, however, watch SCG Open coverage for free on weekends to hear great commentary and see the decks and high level of play. This weekend will be Baltimore, with people scrambling for M15 cards and trying crazy decks as it's the first tournament where the new cards will be legal.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Northjayhawk posted:

Seems like a smart way to sell a few more cards. Go ahead and push Theros a bit, but now we're done with all that Theros nonsense and we want people buying Khans for Standard, so here's a card that destroys all enchantments, and here's a colorless card anyone can sideboard that obliterates Elspeth.

Honestly, it's actually a good thing. Having narrow hosers printed in later sets helps balance the metagame, since if one strategy is too degenerate people can choose to take potent-enough answers to stand a fighting chance. This allows cards and strategies to be stronger without needing to be banned. As long as they're narrow, they don't really affect the viability of "balanced" decks, since people won't take such narrow hate in their limited sideboard slots unless the deck is a real threat to them. For example, Hexproof Auras is still a potent strategy even with Glaring Spotlight, because it's so narrow that no-one actually runs it.

If you want an analogy, Bazaar is allowed to be unrestricted in Vintage, and hence Dredge allowed to be the strongest deck, because there's enough powerful hate to allow other decks to still have a fighting chance. Flash, on the other hand, has to be restricted because there isn't that level of hate for it around.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 15, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AnacondaHL posted:

SCG Premium's demographic is typically high volume tournament players, and many of them read it for nearly free (since entry into an SCG Open includes 1 free month). I don't recommend spending money on it unless you reeeeally like the writers or are interested in big tournament play.

You can, however, watch SCG Open coverage for free on weekends to hear great commentary and see the decks and high level of play. This weekend will be Baltimore, with people scrambling for M15 cards and trying crazy decks as it's the first tournament where the new cards will be legal.

Yea that's why I just got a week, I'm way not into the big tourney scene but might as well see if I like a writer or the like. Doubt I'll re-up unless someone really catches me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

No be

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

neetengie posted:

What would make it perfect is if it's Phyrexian made. Kinda looks like it too.

It's design is pretty obviously New Phyrexian so congrats!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

rabidsquid posted:

Imagine every single tournament going to time every single round because of all of the shuffling. I would rather the price of fetches stay absurd over having to deal with that but I already hate it in Modern and Legacy.

Would fetches even be a must-include in Standard if shocklands (or something else with basic land types) weren't in the format? I thought it was that combo that made them such a necessity in legacy.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

Scuttling Doom Engine is perfectly named please no Scuttling Doom Engine shaming in this thread.

Nothing that is 6/6 scuttles. Maybe 'Ponderous Doom Engine' I could see...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Nothing that is 6/6 scuttles. Maybe 'Ponderous Doom Engine' I could see...

Stop Scut Shaming the Doom Engine!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for reminding me! Scute mob was a 1/1, jwari scuttler 2/3, scuttlemutt 2/2. Point proven magic is clearly being ruined forever.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Jabor posted:

Honestly, it's actually a good thing. Having narrow hosers printed in later sets helps balance the metagame, since if one strategy is too degenerate people can choose to take potent-enough answers to stand a fighting chance. This allows cards and strategies to be stronger without needing to be banned. As long as they're narrow, they don't really affect the viability of "balanced" decks, since people won't take such narrow hate in their limited sideboard slots unless the deck is a real threat to them. For example, Hexproof Auras is still a potent strategy even with Glaring Spotlight, because it's so narrow that no-one actually runs it.

If you want an analogy, Bazaar is allowed to be unrestricted in Vintage, and hence Dredge allowed to be the strongest deck, because there's enough powerful hate to allow other decks to still have a fighting chance. Flash, on the other hand, has to be restricted because there isn't that level of hate for it around.

I strongly disagree with this. Printing narrow hosers discourages creativity in Standard builds, and closes off options too early. For instance, Constellation decks haven't really been a thing, but there was a chance for them once Ravnica cycled out and the format slowed down a little from that. Now? Good luck playing a deck where you lose everything but your lands to a two-mana spell.

Scuttling Doom Engine is a good card to print against Elspeth, but dropping Back to Nature right after Theros is terrible.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Back to Nature and Deicide make me seriously wonder if FFL for this format was completely different. Both of them seem like hosers way above the level of the decks they're hosing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Slutty Dong Engine

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Back to Nature and Deicide make me seriously wonder if FFL for this format was completely different. Both of them seem like hosers way above the level of the decks they're hosing.

I wish they would let us know what FFL looked like after the block rotates out. I really want to know how close the overall metagame gets to their insular meta.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

That's how modern hate cards have been designed lately. Having a proactive strategy has a natural advantage over reactive strategies, so reactive cards have to be stronger to be competitive, and one could argue that recently they've gone a bit too far (for non-counterspells).

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Scuttling Doom Engine is currently my second favourite card. It is just so adorable :3: I will be running in my sideboard in green for elspeth match-ups and in the main for trading post control.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Would it be better to wait until rotation to buy shocklands, or should I go ahead and complete my playsets now? They seem kind of low at the moment, but I'm not sure which direction they're expected to go in October.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

Would it be better to wait until rotation to buy shocklands, or should I go ahead and complete my playsets now? They seem kind of low at the moment, but I'm not sure which direction they're expected to go in October.

In my opinion they are the lowest they are going to be until people realize how low they actually are and start buying in bulk to hoard, which in my area is already happening. Also, a lot of people are selling them in order to get big shiny M15 planeswalkers.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Zonekeeper posted:

History says buy in mid-October. But lately people have been getting smarter with holding onto eternal and Modern playables, especially lands. But also the Standard PTQ season is split between Super Standard and rotation, and there are 3 consecutive Standard GPs in October, which may re-open that low price window anyways.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

As Anaconda says, if it appeals to you, you can watch the tournament coverage on weekends and that's pretty great. Watching or reading up on Legacy can be a good way to catch some more advanced rules interactions, which Standard lacks.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

[video]
I'd just recommend drafting every week. It'll teach you more about Magic than constructed, in my opinion, because you have to build a brand-new deck every time you sit down. Plus, you get to listen to Limited Resources, a phenomenal limited-devoted podcast.

I've played a bunch of Magic with Brian Wong, the co-host. If he's not one of the best ten limited players in the world, I'd be shocked.

Brian Wong Facts (well, vague memories of facts):
  • made a series of Magic Online accounts, named things like "bwong" "notbwong" "bwongseviltwin" "bwongisgreat" "bwongshugeego" back when Magic Online used to induct accounts into the "hall of fame" when it hit a certain rating. At one point, the hall of fame was practically nothing but accounts named after him, leading to a Wizards employee to wonder why the hell every good Limited player was naming themselves after this "bwong."
  • LSV has said that you play constructed in order to fund limited on Magic Online, because maybe you can get lucky enough to play more from time to time, but you cannot go infinite playing limited. Brian Wong has gone infinite playing limited.
  • doesn't play on the Pro Tour because he doesn't like constructed. Goes to Grand Prixs nearby sometimes, if he likes the format. His last three finishes are top 32, top 16, top 8.
  • won PTQs where he didn't really want to go to the Pro Tour, just wanted to play in the PTQ.
  • doesn't work for Wizards because he has no interest in working for Wizards.
  • at a Wizards designer-hosted party recently, the developer made a beeline for him to ask in depth what his impressions of Vintage Masters are.
  • a friend of mine has an excellent cube, and keeps detailed data on how archetypes, colors, and players do in it. Brian Wong is in first place, out of many dozens of players, with somewhere around an 85% match win.
  • is in the top 10 in match win percentage for Theros limited on Magic Online despite having something like ten times as many matches played as the rest of the players in it.
  • completely unbeatable at grab bag draft. Do not even try.
I hope you have all enjoyed this list

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Zorak posted:

It's design is pretty obviously New Phyrexian so congrats!
Actually, New Phyrexian stuff usually has faces or flesh or something else Gyger-esque to it. Compare Scuttling to Soul of New Phyrexia, and Scuttling is more generically "Big Evil Doom Machine" while Soul has incredibly clear callbacks to Phyrexia (and all 5 praetors too, which is a nice touch).

Obviously, now someone has to ask Doug Beyer where SDE comes from so that we can settle this once and for all.

Edit: Wait, looks like Phyrexia Soul only has deliberate callbacks to Elesh Norn, and the rest of it was me imagining things.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 15, 2014

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Veyrall posted:

Wait, looks like Phyrexia Soul only has deliberate callbacks to Elesh Norn, and the rest of it was me imagining things.

Last we heard, Elesh Norn and her Orthodoxy are decidedly the top dogs over there, so it's probably a fair assumption that pointy alabaster headplates are all the rage across New Phyrexia this season.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 15, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Veyrall posted:

Edit: Wait, looks like Phyrexia Soul only has deliberate callbacks to Elesh Norn, and the rest of it was me imagining things.

One thing I just noticed is that it has the little darksteel/blightsteel invincibility sparkles around its arms, probably in reference to its activated ability.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
One thing I noticed was this. Look at the file name, is that going to be the name for the new Sarkhan card?

Edit: Then again, Tyrant's Choice is named Inquisitor's Decision in the file, so who knows?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Sarkhan, the big lizard's spokesperson

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
It very well could be the card's name but names can change at any time until they send it off to the printers so it could change.

"The Dragon's Voice" is pretty cool sounding though so I hope it doesn't change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bhsman posted:

No offense, but I would rather deal with some shuffling compared to paying a minimum $50 per fetch. I get to save money and my friends find it easier to get into Modern, and all for some extra shuffling? Sign me up!

EDIT: Unless you were kidding. :ohdear: That said, I can't see tournaments going to time any more than they already do with UW Control running around.

If they want modern to be a format that is relatively easy for new players to get into (they clearly do) they have to reprint the fetches. And I'm sure they will. Also, the Onslaught fetches aren't even in modern yet.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 15, 2014

• Locked thread