Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Two Finger posted:

I'm actually from NZ. And to the guy who asked, I'm a ship's engineer so yes I'm mechanically inclined. Also I'm only home four months of the year so at best it'll be lightly used. My situation is a little unusual in that it'll only be used a few months of the year, so I wanted to get something a bit nicer than your average Corolla or whatever. Thanks for the info regarding the mechanicals being sound but the rest poo poo - I've heard similar so I guess it's just a case of how much poo poo I can live with. I hadn't heard that about the suspension though - I will look very very closely at that. Thanks for the advice.

I think a 5er would be fine to sit for 8 months on a battery tender, it's not like Bimmers are resistant to standard vehicle storage procedures (battery tender, fresh fluids, gas preservative, climate controlled storage or garage, etc).

As a ships engineer you should have no issues with maintenance. The trick to keeping a BMW forever is in solving problems through preventative maintenance instead of the standard "Car broken, Gronk fix car".

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Beach Bum posted:

I think a 5er would be fine to sit for 8 months on a battery tender, it's not like Bimmers are resistant to standard vehicle storage procedures (battery tender, fresh fluids, gas preservative, climate controlled storage or garage, etc).

As a shops engineer you should have no issues with maintenance. The trick to keeping a BMW forever is in solving problems through preventative maintenance instead of the standard "Car broken, Gronk fix car".

I'll have to create a preventative maintenance program...

I'm doing 4 month swings, with 2 months off in between, so this is encouraging to hear. I'm home in September so I will start looking around then. What are they like to drive?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

revmoo posted:

There are. Stewart lifetime warranty WP + silicon hose kit + aluminum rad with integrated surge tank.

Right. Zionsville also makes a radiator with tank (~$1000), pump ($200), and thermostat (~$500). I suppose if you knew you were going to keep the car forever it might be worth it. But that money could buy you 3 complete cooling systems too.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Two Finger posted:

I'm doing 4 month swings, with 2 months off in between, so this is encouraging to hear. I'm home in September so I will start looking around then. What are they like to drive?

I've only ever driven 3's, but there's quite a few 540i goons round here that love them (except when they eat suspension bushings/rear tires/have digital dash issues).

The M62 also eats timing chain guides. If you start hearing a rattle at the front of the motor it's something to check. If you lose the guides pistons start munching on valves.

(Can you tell I haven't had breakfast yet?)

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 14, 2014

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Timing chain tensioner is the preventative maintenance to keep your guides in one piece.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I found a lost puppy and accidentally named it so I had to take it home and keep it.

85k miles 2003.5 never driven in the rain. Beautifully body off resprayed. 6 speed, manual seats, no sunroof. It was exactly what I was looking for and I happen to like the color so that helped. 8k rpm is addictive.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Welp, it's time to replace brakes/rotors on my 02 mini S, any recommendations out there?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Sadi posted:

I found a lost puppy and accidentally named it so I had to take it home and keep it.

85k miles 2003.5 never driven in the rain. Beautifully body off resprayed. 6 speed, manual seats, no sunroof. It was exactly what I was looking for and I happen to like the color so that helped. 8k rpm is addictive.

That is one hell of a color all right. Goddamn. Is it more vibrant than the pictures let on?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I was told it was a slightly tweaked GTS orange. As far as I can tell it's more metallic (it's really really metallic) so it comes off creamy in the sun and I can't unsee it as DOT orange in the dark.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 14, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Looking forward to the thread where some idiot in a minivan merges into your lane. Please film the reaction of the officer who responds to take a report.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Sadi posted:

As far as I can tell it's more metallic (it's really really metallic)

Is it bass boat metallic? :allears:

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Nah. It's very fine flake.

revmoo posted:

Looking forward to the thread where some idiot in a minivan merges into your lane. Please film the reaction of the officer who responds to take a report.

And already had some one in a ratty old accord try it. Im used to it in the miata but a safety orange car is a little hard to miss.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There's an inverse relationship between how objectively noticeable something is and how likely an idiot is to blindly crash into it. Actually, it's probably bi-modal - drive around in black leather on your black motorcycle and see how long it takes before you're flattened by a soccer mom.

I talked to some firefighters as they were packing up after extinguishing a small grass fire a couple of years ago. They can't get insurance on their trucks - even in a province with government mandated / government monopoly vehicle insurance - because they're simply too high risk. The firefighters told me it was because they drive TOWARDS the big scary fire, but I suspect the insurance company also knows about the inevitable ruinous attraction between morons and big day-glow yellow trucks.

It'll ruin the beautiful lines of the car, but if you really want to protect it, get one of those knock-down-bollards-and-gates front bumpers from a big Pumper truck.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Two Finger posted:

Oh I thought you were gone 8 months at a time.

They should drive very tightly. When pushed into a curve, it should respond well, but will show its weight when its getting to the upper limits of suspension. Also, it should be fairly silent inside, not pin drop silent, but very very quiet. Mine was awesomely quiet inside, and just really heard the wind or the awesome V8 when pushed.

Also, that V8 should sound down right amazing when pushed, its an amazing sound.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

I test drove an M4 today. loving hell what a car.
Anyone ordered one?

I have spousal approval to order an F80 M3, but waiting to see if we can fit a whole European delivery trip in to get it. So probably not until '15 or '16...
Haven't test driven it yet (I'm afraid I won't be able to hold off ordering if I do) but everything I read says BMW absolutely hit it out of the park on this one. What's your take on it?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

SlapActionJackson posted:

I have spousal approval to order an F80 M3, but waiting to see if we can fit a whole European delivery trip in to get it. So probably not until '15 or '16...
Haven't test driven it yet (I'm afraid I won't be able to hold off ordering if I do) but everything I read says BMW absolutely hit it out of the park on this one. What's your take on it?

I thought it was brill. How come you're going for the 3 over the 4? Practicality? I'd test both :)

My take on it, coming from my 46M is that it feels very similar, just with a lot more oomph and a lot more comfort.

I drove a E92 and thought it felt fat and a bit sketchy, this thing is planted and feels no bigger than a 46 somehow. I was doing 120mph when I thought I was doing about 80, it really does just creep up on you and do it in such a blasé way it doesn't even make sense. You don't notice the turbos hardly at all, and the piped in sound seemed very real to me. There's no drama with the speed and the cabin is pretty quiet, I didn't really like this if I'm honest but it's a properly rapid car, just with it's big boy pants on.

It feels like it has an absolute ton of torque and traction control cuts in well into 3 figure speeds if you bury your foot and drop a gear. The dual clutch setup is slick as gently caress and feels nice to drive, insanely short shifts. It's a bit poo poo in M-sport+ when you're manoeuvring though which was disappointing. Grip levels are bonkers but I think that was more computer than mechanical, the sales guy wouldn't let me take off the tcs so couldn't really make an informed decision on what was what.

Interior is absolutely lovely and I was in the orange one which looked really nice. Cooled seats are quality and feel lovely in the sun. Car has internet which is loving bonkers and there's a button you can press for a 24hr concierge who can program your maps and stuff. Really neat.

Brakes seem absolutely class, but no chance to fade them to check how they deal with that.

The strut bar round the engine is a work of art but bloody hell that's a cramped bay.

Styling wise I don't like the lifted boot panel and the new bonnet shutline and the wheels are a bit eh. Rest of it is nice, if a little restrained.

Buy orange and not black or silver please.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ExecuDork posted:

There's an inverse relationship between how objectively noticeable something is and how likely an idiot is to blindly crash into it. Actually, it's probably bi-modal - drive around in black leather on your black motorcycle and see how long it takes before you're flattened by a soccer mom.

I talked to some firefighters as they were packing up after extinguishing a small grass fire a couple of years ago. They can't get insurance on their trucks - even in a province with government mandated / government monopoly vehicle insurance - because they're simply too high risk. The firefighters told me it was because they drive TOWARDS the big scary fire, but I suspect the insurance company also knows about the inevitable ruinous attraction between morons and big day-glow yellow trucks.

It'll ruin the beautiful lines of the car, but if you really want to protect it, get one of those knock-down-bollards-and-gates front bumpers from a big Pumper truck.

Drunk people seem to like to look at bright lights and then drive into them. Hope the same isn't true for shiny stuff. :v: But seriously sometimes I wonder if cops should buck the trend and put less lights on their cars.

Anyway, nice find and yeah I'm jealous.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Anyone know anything about the ACS throttle body on e39 cars? I looked at mine for the first time today and with least cable tension, it doesnt open to a fully parallel position like i feel like it should. Its closed a little, which looks like it would restrict airflow.

The cable itself has some weird wrap on it, and when it releases after being tensioned, it seems to stick a little. Thats a little worrisome because it could mean thatt after it engaged traction control, the ASC throttle body could stick, and the air being drawn into the engine could be blocked, which would maybe cause it to run rich/do other weird poo poo?

I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, so if you know anything about this let me know!

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

How come you're going for the 3 over the 4?

Kids. Already have one toddler and working on #2. 4 doors is mandatory.

Bape Culture posted:

thing is planted and feels no bigger than a 46 somehow.

I suspect the fact that it is even more rigid but doesn't weight any more than an E46 had a lot to do with that.

Bape Culture posted:

Cooled seats are quality and feel lovely in the sun.

Was that a dealer add-on? I didn't think BMW was offering cooled seats in the 3er anywhere in the world?

Bape Culture posted:

Brakes seem absolutely class, but no chance to fade them to check how they deal with that.

Doubt you'd be able to on the street. Even my porky E46 cab did pretty well on track with stock brakes until I was a fast intermediate student.

Bape Culture posted:

Styling wise I don't like the lifted boot panel and the new bonnet shutline and the wheels are a bit eh. Rest of it is nice, if a little restrained.

I know what you mean about that loving hood cut line, but for the rest I prefer the sleeper look anyway.

Bape Culture posted:

Buy orange and not black or silver please.

Dear God yes. I won't buy black, white, silver or grey. So that leaves only periwinkle, mustard, and shakir orange. Shakir is the clear winner there.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I have a 1995 318i. I like it. It's a fun car. I don't like what just happened, though: the ignition tumbler seems to have bit it. I pulled into my driveway, and attempted to turn the car off - the key wouldn't budge. I could pull it out, but not rotate it. A little fiddling and I could rotate it clockwise, but not counter clockwise, and I couldn't turn the drat car off. I stalled it and pulled the battery cable, but I do need to get it running soon.

Preliminary googling says this is a pretty common problem, and it looks like I'll need to pull the assembly apart to figure out how much of it I need to buy.

Any ways to rig the car to drive until then? I don't care if I can start the car without a key.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Sadi posted:

Wait, the seller has you believing its done 85k miles without ever seeing rain?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

And was repainted for no reason

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Chemmy posted:

And was repainted for no reason

They really liked orange. Probably more than bondo blue green.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
It's a safety orange M3 I would personally give zero fucks.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 15, 2014

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

evobatman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9U61aeJenc

Fingers crossed that this will not be expensive :( The turbo was replaced in 2012, I can't imagine it being shot this soon.

It was expensive. $5000 for a turbo replacement. But since the turbo was changed a little over two years and only 30000km/18,000 miles ago, the BMW dealer will do it as a warranty job. I'll just pay for an oil change and a new air filter.

Feels good to avoid that cost on a 2007 with 190000 km/120,000 miles on it. I think I'll celebrate with a soda.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

8ender posted:

Wait, the seller has you believing its done 85k miles without ever seeing rain?

Meh. You know what I mean. I'm sure it was driven in the rain or on wet roads in its life. The engine bay had a enough dust in it to tell it hadn't be detailed for me. It was clear he took care of it. The paint job was precipitated by a fender bender. I had pictures of it and the work they did on the paint job is fantastic. You'd be able to see wrinkles from a wreck. He painted it a year or two ago (I don't remember precisely) but it wouldn't surprise me if it hadn't been driven in the rain since. Could only find one rock chip on the whole car and no swirl marks. And besides I checked it out and paid to have it inspected. It was his baby and he had the records. That's all I really care about in an m3.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

IuniusBrutus posted:

Any ways to rig the car to drive until then? I don't care if I can start the car without a key.

You can rig up push-button start temporarily, it's not too difficult to rig up. There's a diy floating around somewhere.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have a 1995 318i. I like it. It's a fun car. I don't like what just happened, though: the ignition tumbler seems to have bit it. I pulled into my driveway, and attempted to turn the car off - the key wouldn't budge. I could pull it out, but not rotate it. A little fiddling and I could rotate it clockwise, but not counter clockwise, and I couldn't turn the drat car off. I stalled it and pulled the battery cable, but I do need to get it running soon.

Preliminary googling says this is a pretty common problem, and it looks like I'll need to pull the assembly apart to figure out how much of it I need to buy.

Yeah, it's a cunty experience having that thing die. I sold my e36 right when it started acting up. I think I had some luck playing/jiggling/wiggling the key while trying to start it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

evobatman posted:

It was expensive. $5000 for a turbo replacement. But since the turbo was changed a little over two years and only 30000km/18,000 miles ago, the BMW dealer will do it as a warranty job. I'll just pay for an oil change and a new air filter.

Feels good to avoid that cost on a 2007 with 190000 km/120,000 miles on it. I think I'll celebrate with a soda.
Was the original replacement covered under any type of warranty? This is one of the reasons I've been put off of all the newer cars coming out with turbos, not including only BMW's.

People in this thread have mentioned that the turbos can go, and to look out for them on higher mileage used vehicles, but what is the expected life span on these engines? I know the GDCS is 60-100k miles depending on who you ask, do the turbos have an expected lifespan or is it just a crapshoot?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Anyone know anything about the ACS throttle body on e39 cars? I looked at mine for the first time today and with least cable tension, it doesnt open to a fully parallel position like i feel like it should. Its closed a little, which looks like it would restrict airflow.

The cable itself has some weird wrap on it, and when it releases after being tensioned, it seems to stick a little. Thats a little worrisome because it could mean thatt after it engaged traction control, the ASC throttle body could stick, and the air being drawn into the engine could be blocked, which would maybe cause it to run rich/do other weird poo poo?

I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, so if you know anything about this let me know!

Whoops i hosed up the acronym it's ASC, (traction control).

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Sadi posted:

Looks nice, you're going to replace the black steel roof with a real CF one from Evolve, right? :q:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

evobatman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9U61aeJenc

On my F11 520d, When I open the throttle up around 100 mph, I get this noise, although much more quiet (the air noise drowns it out, too). Am I paranoid, or is that standard SOP for the turbo? It's 3 years old with 55k miles on it, refurbished by BMW here in Germany, so it's unlikely it's shot to poo poo, right?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Das Volk posted:

Looks nice, you're going to replace the black steel roof with a real CF one from Evolve, right? :q:

Maybe eventually. Im at the stage right now were I would rather enjoy it as it is than drill 14 holes in the roof and pull it out. Also aren't the M3s aluminum roofs?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah, it's a cunty experience having that thing die. I sold my e36 right when it started acting up. I think I had some luck playing/jiggling/wiggling the key while trying to start it.

revmoo posted:

You can rig up push-button start temporarily, it's not too difficult to rig up. There's a diy floating around somewhere.

Pulled the knee panel and bottom cover today, and took the ignition switch out. Once I did that, I was able to with a pair of pliers turn the rod that actuates the switch when you turn the key back into the "off" position, and it now seems to work fine.

It looks like I can fix the spinning tumbler problem easy enough by tapping the bottom of the ignition lock for a screw to put some pressure on the tumbler, but if that rod keeps sticking in the "on" position (it may not if I keep the tumbler from spinning) the whole assembly has to be replaced, which looks like a bit of a pain in the rear end. I'd rather drive around with a screwdriver and pair of pliers as long as possible, I think. Even if it completely buggers up I can just put the EWS ring around my key and directly turn the ignition switch.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 15, 2014

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The turbo was replaced in 2011, then again in 2012 at 160000 km, and now again at 190000. That's the fourth turbo on this car. When it's fixed I'm selling it and getting a beater 5, I don't have the nerves for this kind of car ownership.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That is definitely not normal. Something is wrong with your car that the turbo is going out every year.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

That is definitely not normal. Something is wrong with your car that the turbo is going out every year.

And the mechanic is repeatedly fixing the symptom, rather than the problem.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Clogged oil feed or something perhaps?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

revmoo posted:

Clogged oil feed or something perhaps?

Depending on failure mode. But that's the first thing I thought of as well.

This sounds like the droves of 1.8t's that killed turbos by sludging only to have "tuners" throw on another turbo without fixing the sludging. Cue needing yet another turbo less than a year later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Brock Landers posted:

Right. Zionsville also makes a radiator with tank (~$1000), pump ($200), and thermostat (~$500). I suppose if you knew you were going to keep the car forever it might be worth it. But that money could buy you 3 complete cooling systems too.

$1700 is gotta keep the car forever money?