Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eiba posted:

Anyway, that all's been great fun, but there was an issue Bavaria had with an HRE-internal war recently. He was going after a de jure province of Bavaria owned by Swabia, which he beat handily. But every time he gets to 100% warscore and asks for the province, the Duchy of Swabia changes hands- the old Duke is deposed and a new Duke gets all his lands, critically keeping the province Bavaria is going after.

A similar thing happened to me with a prepared invasion. I was at war with the Sultan of Africa who abdicated in favor of his vassal/brother, the Emir of Tripoli, once I defeated the Sultan's army and was running up the warscore with sieges.
I believe it is an effect of the way factions work. In my case, the Sultan's brother formed a faction for himself as Sultan. Since I destroyed the existing Sultan's army and was sieging down his provinces, his vassal/brother the Emir of Tripoli formed that faction and demanded his terms because he had such a strong position (because the Emir had levy while the Sultan did not), so the Sultan capitulated because if his brother revolted he could not stop him.
In your case the Duke of Swabia probably has vassals whose provinces your friend did not siege, thus giving that vassal >200% the liege's levy w/r/t faction strength, so he gives in to the demands. Since the Duke gives in to the demands the war ends since the target is no longer valid.

tl;dr I dont think it is the game specifically going "gently caress you". I think it is the game being gamey as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Tsyni posted:

It just makes them your vassal. The Templars is a duke level title and it places it under you. Granting them a duchy you are de-jure lord of and vassalizing that way is just a tricky way to get over the "not my de-jure lord" malus.

Side note: If the Templars or Hospitallers own any land when you vassalize them, your get all of that land too. Granted, the grandmaster usually becomes a pretty annoying mega-duke (since that land is probably an entire kingdom won in a crusade) but it's a cool way to get a pretty big realm.

Also, whether the holy orders are vassalized or not, it's worth pointing out that if you're defending against heathens, they're free anyway.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Side note: If the Templars or Hospitallers own any land when you vassalize them, your get all of that land too. Granted, the grandmaster usually becomes a pretty annoying mega-duke (since that land is probably an entire kingdom won in a crusade) but it's a cool way to get a pretty big realm.

In my game I've got 2 holy orders under me, and they're valid targets for revocation plots for any land outside the barony I originally handed them. So megaduking isn't really an issue.

In my game I have literally 100 vassals (9 kings) and find plots at a rate so high I've completely given up on dealing with anything that doesn't affect me personally (the ones where you get the spymaster popup). Playing at the triple-empire level is a totally different game from tutorial island.

e; In a war of opportunity, I pressed a claim on the kingdom of Italy for a vassal bishop of mine. I handily won (As the country was fragmented by no fewer than 3 claimant revolts), and now I have a "King-Bishop" vassal who doesn't appear to be paying me anything in taxes. I don't think I've ever had a vassal like this. Is there anything I can do to get the title into secular hands? There's also one final revolt ongoing, against my new vassal. If my vassal loses, will the claimant gain the title but still be my vassal?

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 14, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I once ended up conquering all of France and Italy over the course of fifty years in a series of crusades more or less on accident.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

In what circumstances can I give someone a county or barony and keep a claim on that land, allowing for tyranny-free revocation later (e.g. after I press a claim)? I've noticed that sometimes I end up with a claim when I give out land and sometimes I don't.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Bold Robot posted:

In what circumstances can I give someone a county or barony and keep a claim on that land, allowing for tyranny-free revocation later (e.g. after I press a claim)? I've noticed that sometimes I end up with a claim when I give out land and sometimes I don't.

Only guessing, but if you inherit land and then lose it (like through a war) you get a claim on it. Maybe you're giving away land you inherited?

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

Okay, so I'm trying to get my pet pope to call a crusade on Ilkhanate-held Anatolia, but I can't for reasons that are unclear to me. In the diplo menu with the Khan, "Request Crusade" is selectable, and each of the various Kingdoms he has is selectable in that sub-menu including Anatolia, but the "Send" button is greyed out, despite all the conditions it lists when you mouse over it (requisite amount of piety, must not be vassal, etc.) being green. I've called crusades this way in the past and can call crusades on other leaders right now, it just doesn't seem to work in this one case. In case it matters, I'm Fratricelli with a vassal Fratricelli Pope, I'm at +100 relations with that Pope, we're still a Heresy, the Khan is unreformed Tengri, and I own or two counties that are de jure Anatolia.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

grancheater posted:

If THE POPE wins a Crusade, does he relinquish the gained titles to the second highest contributor? Because I'm pretty sure that's what happened to me and I think I'm reading the CB file correctly.

Yes, that's what happens.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I am king of Ireland and just formed the kingdom of Wales. I switch the laws of investure to free. Reason for this is, I want my idiot first born son to becomea Bishop so he won't inherit anything when I die. But if I click: appoint succesor, I can't select him. Is that because he's residing in my capital in Ireland? If so, how do I get him to Wales? Or do I just switch the laws in Ireland too?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Top tip for fellow modders: Even if you're working solo, using dropbox or github or something is a great practice to get into, because when your computer decides to die on you that means not all the files are lost.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ofaloaf posted:

Top tip for fellow modders: Even if you're working solo, using dropbox or github or something is a great practice to get into, because when your computer decides to die on you that means not all the files are lost.

Please tell me nothing bad happened.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

Please tell me nothing bad happened.
No, I was using Github. Many thanks to Sam for getting me to do that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ofaloaf posted:

No, I was using Github. Many thanks to Sam for getting me to do that.

Phew.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

beedeebee posted:

I am king of Ireland and just formed the kingdom of Wales. I switch the laws of investure to free. Reason for this is, I want my idiot first born son to becomea Bishop so he won't inherit anything when I die. But if I click: appoint succesor, I can't select him. Is that because he's residing in my capital in Ireland? If so, how do I get him to Wales? Or do I just switch the laws in Ireland too?

You cannot disinherit your first son this way, you can only make your non-firstborn sons a bishop.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ofaloaf posted:

Well you had me scared until I read a couple more posts :staredog:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

Yeah, I setup a google drive sync for my mods. Fantastic idea, and I'm so glad I did it, because I've had a hard drive fail since then.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

Take it from me. :smithicide:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Bold Robot posted:

I'm 90% sure that handing out land will never ever give you a claim, but you may be having some weird shenanigans with relatives. Like, you inherited some land, your brothers got claims. You hand out the title, then one of your brothers dies, and you inherit the claim from him.

If you want tyranny free "revocation" then hand out the land to a celibate person and wait it out. At least until they patch that out :shobon:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Allyn posted:

I'm 90% sure that handing out land will never ever give you a claim, but you may be having some weird shenanigans with relatives. Like, you inherited some land, your brothers got claims. You hand out the title, then one of your brothers dies, and you inherit the claim from him.

If you want tyranny free "revocation" then hand out the land to a celibate person and wait it out. At least until they patch that out :shobon:

Or if you have absolute cognatic, just give titles to old women.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Is there any problem to getting pope money as often as I can? I keep my chansellor and my chaplain in rome to butter him up and because I'm a republic I'm regularly getting about 1700-2000 gold, and I can keep him at max opinion almost constantly. This seems too good to be true.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah if I have to give out land that I will likely want back later I usually give it to an old unmarried low intrigue same religion + same culture courtier because they are unlikely to have any children before they pass. It tends to work well.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Captain Novolin posted:

Is there any problem to getting pope money as often as I can? I keep my chansellor and my chaplain in rome to butter him up and because I'm a republic I'm regularly getting about 1700-2000 gold, and I can keep him at max opinion almost constantly. This seems too good to be true.

The only downside is that you aren't using your chancellor for other stuff, basically.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Some hilarious stuff going on in my Burgundy game. This is Nazareno:

Nazareno is an 8 year old bastard child. He is also the Pope. Well, technically not THE pope, but by virtue of his father Sixtus' tenure as the Bishop of Rome he has all the powers of the Pope.

I kept him in court because he was a bitchin' spymaster and then married him to my daughter and chosen successor. As Pope-King of Burgundy, he was the religious head of all Burgundy, and as a result no bishops in my kingdom could be elected to the Curia, I couldn't ask the Pope in Rome for money or divorces. Sadly, Nazareno wasn't as popular as his counterpart in Rome and didn't get paid as much tribute, so I couldn't really ask him for money either.

He did have the courtesy of granting me a divorce from himself at a 50% piety discount, however.

Bonus:
First genderfluid European ruler since Elagabalus

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

How long does the "antipope was recently deposed" penalty take to go away? I wanna vassalize Rome, but that's taking forever to go away. Also the papacy became a patrician title, does this do anything to succession or is it still a college of cardinals thing?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

TaurusTorus posted:

How long does the "antipope was recently deposed" penalty take to go away? I wanna vassalize Rome, but that's taking forever to go away. Also the papacy became a patrician title, does this do anything to succession or is it still a college of cardinals thing?

It's at least 50 years, really loving long. When I run across it I just open up the save and look for the antipope_deposed modifier, the end date is right next to it. No idea on your second question.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I couldn't help it, so I pushed just a little bit with the console and now there's a massive kingdom of Poland-Ruthenia-Hungary.

Also, completely unrelated to this and happening completely independent of me (since I'm Burgundy), the Byzantine Emperor? Russian. Constantinople is already culture converted too.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is the 15% chance to inherit a congenital trait per-child or per-parent with the trait?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
How does the math on Health work? I know default adult health is 5, and that older people are more likely to die than younger at a given health level, but what does that mean? Does the game check every year to see if you die? I'm sure modders know the math but I can't find it in the wiki.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

A similar thing happened to me with a prepared invasion. I was at war with the Sultan of Africa who abdicated in favor of his vassal/brother, the Emir of Tripoli, once I defeated the Sultan's army and was running up the warscore with sieges.
I believe it is an effect of the way factions work. In my case, the Sultan's brother formed a faction for himself as Sultan. Since I destroyed the existing Sultan's army and was sieging down his provinces, his vassal/brother the Emir of Tripoli formed that faction and demanded his terms because he had such a strong position (because the Emir had levy while the Sultan did not), so the Sultan capitulated because if his brother revolted he could not stop him.
In your case the Duke of Swabia probably has vassals whose provinces your friend did not siege, thus giving that vassal >200% the liege's levy w/r/t faction strength, so he gives in to the demands. Since the Duke gives in to the demands the war ends since the target is no longer valid.

tl;dr I dont think it is the game specifically going "gently caress you". I think it is the game being gamey as gently caress.
The thing is, it doesn't just randomly happen and end the war by happening. It happens as soon as he asks for peace. Like, the game is paused, 100% warscore. He demands his claim. And bam, new Duke of Swabia and the war's over.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
As an update on the "being GM of the Templars" thing, it does prevent you from marrying, but doesn't affect existing marriages, kids, or succession at all.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bold Robot posted:

Is the 15% chance to inherit a congenital trait per-child or per-parent with the trait?

There's a slim chance for a child to have a trait regardless of what the parents have. Otherwise, it's 15% per parent, so if both parents have it it's 30%.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Are their any 'tricks' to obtaining matrilineal marriages? I've been completely unsuccessful so far but I think that's mostly because I've been trying to do it with some pretty heavy hitters, e.g. the heir to Scotland.

Are their any penalties I need to be concerned about with the 'unlanded sons' popup? I'm not so worried about my direct heir but I have two more that are unlanded.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It seems easier for me to arrange matrilineal betrothals than marriages. Or at least the requirements arent as high.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

beefart posted:

Some hilarious stuff going on in my Burgundy game. This is Nazareno:

Nazareno is an 8 year old bastard child. He is also the Pope. Well, technically not THE pope, but by virtue of his father Sixtus' tenure as the Bishop of Rome he has all the powers of the Pope.

I kept him in court because he was a bitchin' spymaster and then married him to my daughter and chosen successor. As Pope-King of Burgundy, he was the religious head of all Burgundy, and as a result no bishops in my kingdom could be elected to the Curia, I couldn't ask the Pope in Rome for money or divorces. Sadly, Nazareno wasn't as popular as his counterpart in Rome and didn't get paid as much tribute, so I couldn't really ask him for money either.

He did have the courtesy of granting me a divorce from himself at a 50% piety discount, however.

Bonus:
First genderfluid European ruler since Elagabalus

I understand very little about this post, but I like it.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Torrannor posted:

You cannot disinherit your first son this way, you can only make your non-firstborn sons a bishop.

Ah ok. So I guess I'll have to stab him then? Or are there other ways to remove him from the line of succession? Somehow he gained the craven trait before he was 6. And in his education, he managed to pick up some bad traits, he managed to screw up all the 80/20 options. And he has a harelip too. :downsgun:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

beedeebee posted:

Ah ok. So I guess I'll have to stab him then? Or are there other ways to remove him from the line of succession? Somehow he gained the craven trait before he was 6. And in his education, he managed to pick up some bad traits, he managed to screw up all the 80/20 options. And he has a harelip too. :downsgun:

Kill him. As far as I know there is no way to disinherit him, except switching to elective succession of course.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I have a question about the Papacy. Most of the Popes that have been elected in my game keep the title of Cardinal, and I think stay in the College of Cardinals. I assume that's not intended behaviour, what's up with that?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
HRE with a vassal theocratic England is the single hardest opponent I have ever fought in this game. I just lost a war with them when I had LITERALLY EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD THAT WASN'T MUSLIM OR HINDU on my side. Including every catholic holy order.

EDIT
At one point they had hired six mercenary companies at once and were still making 100 gold a month. :psyduck:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

This game makes me a bad person. I had a backlog of prisoners, and I couldn't remember what any of them were in for, so I just blinded all of them. Its a great way to clear out your dungeon without tyranny or accidentally creating more problems by releasing a superduke or something. It turns out I even blinded someone who was born in my prison. At least he's out in the sunshine now, even if he can't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Torrannor posted:

Kill him. As far as I know there is no way to disinherit him, except switching to elective succession of course.

You can imprison him and make him a monk as long as he's unmarried.

• Locked thread