Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
I would like to buy a pallet of blankets for my local dog shelter and a pallet of sleeping bags for the homeless shelter, where is the best place to buy this bulk?

TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

bad-yeti posted:

I would like to buy a pallet of blankets for my local dog shelter and a pallet of sleeping bags for the homeless shelter, where is the best place to buy this bulk?

TIA

Both places will likely benefit more from the money as they have buying agreements and know their needs. Ever try eating a sleeping bag or blanket?

Also likely neither has a loading dock to receive your shipment.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Mak0rz posted:

Wait this is supposed to be done after every use? Haha, whoops! I've had the thing for a year now. I'm glad it was only $15 at Shoppers Drug Mart. :sun:

Thanks for the tip.

I don't even bother. I use the Norelco All-In-One which sells for under $20 and is better than the more expensive models. I have 3-4 floating around the house as I lose the charger or auxiliary parts break but the base unit itself won't die. Every 4-6 month I charge them all and rotate through.

Source: Had a beard for last 10 year.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

My beard trimmer came with a tiny bottle of mineral oil that I assume is for maintenance purposes. Where do I apply it and when should it be done?

Basically if you live in tropical climate, and scissors/clippers that require a very tight clearance to cut effective get a little rust on them and either seize completely or the rust ends up spreading the cutting surfaces apart and the cutting tool becomes a ripping tool.

So it is for that.

One of the companies makes a dry silicone type spray that does a good of protecting the metal, without making a sticky mess that attracts bits of hair.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Mak0rz posted:

Wait this is supposed to be done after every use? Haha, whoops! I've had the thing for a year now. I'm glad it was only $15 at Shoppers Drug Mart. :sun:

Thanks for the tip.

The trimmer I have says oil every month, but it's on the pricier end, so YMMV

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Both places will likely benefit more from the money as they have buying agreements and know their needs. Ever try eating a sleeping bag or blanket?

Also likely neither has a loading dock to receive your shipment.

Other than the fact that they have asked for Blankets and Sleeping bags. Which is why I asked about sleeping bags and blankets :rolleyes:

I have a loading dock for breakdown.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Meatwave posted:

Serious guys? If you have a decent, well-insulated chest freezer, put a weight on top to keep a good seal, and it's jam-packed, not in direct sunlight, and your house isn't hot, and you don't open the thing, then it'll last more than a week before everything has melted to the point of being above refrigerator temps. This is from personal experience, not a website that's talking about the freezer part of your fridge.

Yep, this is one of the big benefits of a chest freezer. Also the fact that you can open it without dumping all of the cold air out every time.

Mine has gone 3 days without power and everything has been plenty frozen still. I keep it at -10F, as most guidelines say you should keep a freezer of that type for long term storage. This is a decent amount lower than your average fridge/freezer combo.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

bad-yeti posted:

TIA

For the dogs, Thrift stores blankets, and old Moving Blankets are going to be much cheaper than new stuff. I have no idea what the turnover for moving blankets is for moving storage companies, but U-Haul might be a good first stop. If for charity you might be able to get them free.

Sourcing direct from China is almost always the cheapest way to anything that you are willing to buy in pallet level bulk, but the surface shipping will take a long time.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Man with Hat posted:

And another excel question, there seem to be some ridiculously good people in here for those. I copy a large batch of stuff from a economics program with both both text and numbers in a bunch of cells. Most of it is fine but some of the number cells are text instead of numbers, according to excel. If i type the number in manually it works fine.

An example is the number 10 468,24 which excel reads as text. If I remove the space from that and make it into 10468,24 it is read as a number. Is there a setting somewhere or something I'm missing that will make excel just read it as numbers from the start? I can just use Find and Replace to replace all spaces with nothing but I would prefer a solution over a workaround if there is one.
The final step of the import has an button for 'advanced text import settings' which allows you to define the decimal and thousands separator. Change the latter to a space and it will be able to recognize the number.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

pupdive posted:

For the dogs, Thrift stores blankets, and old Moving Blankets are going to be much cheaper than new stuff. I have no idea what the turnover for moving blankets is for moving storage companies, but U-Haul might be a good first stop. If for charity you might be able to get them free.

Sourcing direct from China is almost always the cheapest way to anything that you are willing to buy in pallet level bulk, but the surface shipping will take a long time.

It's not as sexy or as fun, but it really makes a lot more sense just to donate that money directly to the animal shelter. Then they can use it for whatever they need. And they may have their own special arrangements with vendors to get things at a reduced cost.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

bad-yeti posted:

Other than the fact that they have asked for Blankets and Sleeping bags. Which is why I asked about sleeping bags and blankets :rolleyes:

Did they ask for a pallet? If in the US and likely elsewhere they can buy them cheaper than you.
This is the problem with food drives. The money used to buy food could be better used to buy in bulk (yes you are buying in bulk). But they each don't only need one thing. For all the non profit organizations I have worked for things like copypaper, tp, and electric have been the hardest to find money for. And without lights you are hosed. But people want to donate warm fuzzy things or (not in your case) titles with their name attached.

You have a budget, call and ask for the development manager or shelter manager and let them know you want to make a big donation but are concerned with how it will be spent.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

The trimmer I have says oil every month, but it's on the pricier end, so YMMV

Yeah mine is too and says the same thing, but my hairdresser friend says do it after every use and it'll last a lot longer, idk.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah mine is too and says the same thing, but my hairdresser friend says do it after every use and it'll last a lot longer, idk.

Yeah, all of my trimmers have been generic inexpensive models from department stores and they tend to last a couple of years or so. I might be more inclined to perform maintenance that regularly if they were more valuable. I'll probably do it once a month instead.

Oh well, thanks!

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Did they ask for a pallet? If in the US and likely elsewhere they can buy them cheaper than you.
This is the problem with food drives. The money used to buy food could be better used to buy in bulk (yes you are buying in bulk). But they each don't only need one thing. For all the non profit organizations I have worked for things like copypaper, tp, and electric have been the hardest to find money for. And without lights you are hosed. But people want to donate warm fuzzy things or (not in your case) titles with their name attached.

You have a budget, call and ask for the development manager or shelter manager and let them know you want to make a big donation but are concerned with how it will be spent.

Maybe the bloke just wants to donate what he wants to donate.

Google "Wholesale Sleeping Bags" and quite a few sites come up. Plenty of 50,100,and 300+ unit packages for really low per unit prices.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We're getting our house connected to city water next week. The guys came out today to check things out, and requested that we move the washing machine out of the small room it's in, since that's where they'd bring the line in. However, the valves that would shut off the water to the washing machine probably haven't been turned off in at least 20 years, maybe more like 30, and they're pretty badly corroded. Is there some way for me to loosen them, or would I be better off having a plumber deal with it?

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

photomikey posted:

My waffle iron was purchased in the late 90s for ~$20 and has served me well over 20 years, but it's a pain in the rear end to clean, and frankly, I'd like to make waffles more often, and not with something that says "do not submerge" on it.

A brief search on amazon shows that basically the top 20 waffle irons are in that $20-$40 price range and look about like what I've got now.

I'm willing to spend more... $100 or more. Is there a better waffle iron out there? Everything commercially available looks like cheap plastic crap.
It may already be too late, but I purchased this Belgian Waffle iron from Amazon and I've had it for a year now. I'm not sure if it will hold up to your waffle-rate, but when I'm in the mood to make breakfast fun, it delivers. Oh yeah, it's still a pain to clean without some funky brush, though.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

We're getting our house connected to city water next week. The guys came out today to check things out, and requested that we move the washing machine out of the small room it's in, since that's where they'd bring the line in. However, the valves that would shut off the water to the washing machine probably haven't been turned off in at least 20 years, maybe more like 30, and they're pretty badly corroded. Is there some way for me to loosen them, or would I be better off having a plumber deal with it?

Are you saying your washing machine is 30 years old?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

stubblyhead posted:

Are you saying your washing machine is 30 years old?

I think I misunderstood the conversation I overheard between my wife and her great-uncle. The washing machine is maybe 10-15 years old. In any case, the valves don't look like they'll move easily without breaking.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

hooah posted:

I think I misunderstood the conversation I overheard between my wife and her great-uncle. The washing machine is maybe 10-15 years old. In any case, the valves don't look like they'll move easily without breaking.

Look or feel? Take a picture and head to the "poo poo rolls down hill plumbing megathread" in diy. Would link you but I'm in the awful ap on my phone.
E: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131944&pagenumber=77&perpage=40

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

bad-yeti posted:

This is incredibly cool of you.

Something else to consider is bag liners. If you're homeless, you're not going to wash your sleeping bag but rarely. This is especially because washers at shelters can be a hours of waiting just to get a machine for one load, which you're not going to waste on a sleeping bag.

But a bag liner would hardly take up load space. A nice cotton bag liner has some sort of soul-nourishing quality, like the difference between hot and cold food. It means getting to crawl into a clean bed even in the shittiest of camps. During hot summers, you could just use the liner. And you could use them when staying in a shelter bed so you're not sleeping directly on some dude's crusty jizz.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.

Meatwave posted:

This is incredibly cool of you.

Something else to consider is bag liners. If you're homeless, you're not going to wash your sleeping bag but rarely. This is especially because washers at shelters can be a hours of waiting just to get a machine for one load, which you're not going to waste on a sleeping bag.

But a bag liner would hardly take up load space. A nice cotton bag liner has some sort of soul-nourishing quality, like the difference between hot and cold food. It means getting to crawl into a clean bed even in the shittiest of camps. During hot summers, you could just use the liner. And you could use them when staying in a shelter bed so you're not sleeping directly on some dude's crusty jizz.

Good call on the liners matey, will look into that.

@XmasGiftFromWife I really do not understand what you don't get about my post, or if you're just trolling. They have asked for Blankets and Sleeping bags, not money to buy them themselves, not food, not electricity for lighting, Toilet Paper yes but already got that covered, but for Blankets and Sleeping bags.

To the other more helpful souls, any idea of any reliable sites to buy from China, I got ripped off once before when buying Dogbeds for the local Dog shelter.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

bad-yeti posted:

To the other more helpful souls, any idea of any reliable sites to buy from China, I got ripped off once before when buying Dogbeds for the local Dog shelter.

There are several China goon threads, but to be honest I do not know which one of the three of four to ask about that.

It's weird, once you have a line on somewhere to buy stuff, it goes smooth, but most of the people I know who have a factory that makes them stuff have actually gone to China, or in one case Taiwan, and they have this ongoing relationship with them that goes smoooth (once you get used to the surface shipping times).

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I have a small Lock and Lock box for my lunch and my bag often smells like food after. Any suggestions on where I can put the box in so the smell and heat doesn't leak out?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

TheLastManStanding posted:

The final step of the import has an button for 'advanced text import settings' which allows you to define the decimal and thousands separator. Change the latter to a space and it will be able to recognize the number.

Thanks! Still doesn't work so it's probably something idiotic the economics program does that screws it up. That would be pretty typical of those programs.

Another question! I am doing a competition where five teams will be playing small ladder tournaments against each other in five different games. The line up will be like below, if my ascii makes any sense. Team 1 VS team 2, 3 VS 4, 5 VS winner of 3 and 4 and then finals with whoever hasn't lost

code:
  Winner
    |
 |    |
 |   | |
1 2 3 4 
Is it possible to make five of these where each team starts in each column once and will have to start against every other team once? Maybe an easier way to visualize it is

code:
1 2 | 3 4 | 5
    |     |
    |     |
    |     |
    |     |
I can't figure out a way and I kind of expect it to be impossible but I wanna make sure.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Man with Hat posted:

I can't figure out a way and I kind of expect it to be impossible but I wanna make sure.

I'm giving the team numbers that should be plugged, left-to-right, into the tree you included in your post.

code:
  Winner
    |
 |    |
 |   | |
| | | |E
A B C D 
Round 1: A1-B2 C3-D5 E4
Round 2: 3-1 4-2 5
Round 3: 2-5 1-4 3
Round 4: 4-3 5-1 2
Round 5: 5-4 2-3 1

I think this meets your requirements. Every team faces each other team in the "first" round exactly once, and every team appears in every slot exactly once. Hopefully I'm right.

Edit: This felt like Sudoku.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Grundulum posted:

I'm giving the team numbers that should be plugged, left-to-right, into the tree you included in your post.

code:
  Winner
    |
 |    |
 |   | |
| | | |E
A B C D 
Round 1: A1-B2 C3-D5 E4
Round 2: 3-1 4-2 5
Round 3: 2-5 1-4 3
Round 4: 4-3 5-1 2
Round 5: 5-4 2-3 1

I think this meets your requirements. Every team faces each other team in the "first" round exactly once, and every team appears in every slot exactly once. Hopefully I'm right.

Edit: This felt like Sudoku.

That is exactly what I wanted, yes! Thank you, Number Wizard!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Grundulum posted:

Bonus question:

This is trivial in Python. Learn Python. Sounds like you're in the science field anyway. Don't you use computation for your research

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
I have bad credit, and I'm rebuilding it right now. I just had a couple of small questions:

-Are secured credit cards a good idea for rebuilding credit? If so, any recommendations for a good one?
I would honestly prefer an unsecured card for people with bad credit (high interest rates, etc), but I had trouble finding any.

-What's the best way to use a credit card for credit health? I hear that using around 25% of your limit, then paying it off every month, is the way to go, but I'm not sure. For example, if I got a card, I would strictly use it for gas purchases, then pay it off every month.

-Are there any other types of accounts I can open that will help my credit in the long run? I have an auto loan that I'm paying off, and my current student loans, but that's really it for accounts.

Thanks.

In case anyone's wondering, it's due to defaulted student loans, which I am in the process of rehabilitating, and a few low-balance defaulted credit cards. The rehab should cause a big increase in my credit score.

Jerry Seinfeld fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 16, 2014

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
As a landlord, once you are current on everything, no matter how bad things in your past were, you look pretty good to me. There are two ways to deal with too much debt, run from it and default, or try and get back on track and pay it off - and once I see you're in the latter, I will grant you credit no problem.

Once you are back on track, i.e. no late payments, your mailbox will flood with lovely credit card offers, just pick the best one. I don't know about the 25% number, but the idea of running up a few hundred on the card then paying it off each month is a good one.

Just to give you an idea of what you're up against, banks who issue credit cards to $100k+ earners don't make any money on those cards. It's people like you, people who go < 90 days late on occasion, or have to hold a balance on the credit cards, where the bank makes a ton of profit.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

the posted:

This is trivial in Python. Learn Python. Sounds like you're in the science field anyway. Don't you use computation for your research

Fortran, dude; Python is for upstarts that don't know their place in the world. I know exactly how I could have achieved this in Fortran, but fell prey to the sunk-cost fallacy since I'd been using Excel to do basic sorting and data analysis already.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

photomikey posted:

the idea of running up a few hundred on the card then paying it off each month is a good one.

A good method of doing this is to pay for your normal budgeted groceries and fuel with the cc and pay it off in full each month.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

photomikey posted:

As a landlord, once you are current on everything, no matter how bad things in your past were, you look pretty good to me. There are two ways to deal with too much debt, run from it and default, or try and get back on track and pay it off - and once I see you're in the latter, I will grant you credit no problem.

Once you are back on track, i.e. no late payments, your mailbox will flood with lovely credit card offers, just pick the best one. I don't know about the 25% number, but the idea of running up a few hundred on the card then paying it off each month is a good one.

Just to give you an idea of what you're up against, banks who issue credit cards to $100k+ earners don't make any money on those cards. It's people like you, people who go < 90 days late on occasion, or have to hold a balance on the credit cards, where the bank makes a ton of profit.

Thanks for the info. My motivation to fix my credit is actually to be able to rent an apartment. So, once I get my defaulted student loans removed from my credit (one of the stipulations of the rehab program), and I get current on the new loan, I should look okay to landlords (I realize it differs between landlords, I mean in general)? Even though I have about 3 defaulted low-balance credit cards from my past?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Grundulum posted:

Fortran, dude; Python is for upstarts that don't know their place in the world. I know exactly how I could have achieved this in Fortran, but fell prey to the sunk-cost fallacy since I'd been using Excel to do basic sorting and data analysis already.

Fortran? What is this, 1993?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Why use some sort of "language" to figure these things out when a perfectly good punchcard system would do the trick? You kids these days, jesus. Just break out your Hollerith cards for chrissake.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

kedo posted:

Why use some sort of "language" to figure these things out when a perfectly good punchcard system would do the trick? You kids these days, jesus. Just break out your Hollerith cards for chrissake.

yeah that's FORTRAN for ya

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

the posted:

Fortran? What is this, 1993?

1993? Pff. The code I've been working with was more than a decade old before 1993.

You kids and your "Windows" better get off my lawn! :corsair:

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 16, 2014

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

bvoid posted:

Thanks for the info. My motivation to fix my credit is actually to be able to rent an apartment. So, once I get my defaulted student loans removed from my credit (one of the stipulations of the rehab program), and I get current on the new loan, I should look okay to landlords (I realize it differs between landlords, I mean in general)? Even though I have about 3 defaulted low-balance credit cards from my past?
As far as I know, there is no legal (nor reasonable) way to get accurate information removed from your credit report. You did what you did, and that's on the record. You can, of course, make it better - make good on your promises and obligations - by getting current on your existing loans. Then, after you're a good boy for a few months, open a small credit card and be a good boy with it for a few months. In 3-6 months you will be a decent credit risk. In 2-3 years you will be a good credit risk. In 7 years you'll be a spectacular credit risk. But it's like dieting. You can't eat vegetables today and deep fried twinkies tomorrow and still be skinny. It's a lifestyle, and you have to live it.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

photomikey posted:

As far as I know, there is no legal (nor reasonable) way to get accurate information removed from your credit report. You did what you did, and that's on the record. You can, of course, make it better - make good on your promises and obligations - by getting current on your existing loans. Then, after you're a good boy for a few months, open a small credit card and be a good boy with it for a few months. In 3-6 months you will be a decent credit risk. In 2-3 years you will be a good credit risk. In 7 years you'll be a spectacular credit risk. But it's like dieting. You can't eat vegetables today and deep fried twinkies tomorrow and still be skinny. It's a lifestyle, and you have to live it.

Oh, I know. One of the stipulations of the rehab program is that the Department of Ed will straight up remove the defaults from all 3 of my credit reports. The lates will stay on there, but I've been reading about people sending "Goodwill" letters in to have them removed with varying success. I actually have a decent-paying job now, so I have no worries about my credit down the line. I just need to find an apartment within the next year.

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
I just downloaded the the Another Super Mario Bros. Wii mod. It loads up to the initial screen explaining that the game is a mod, but there's no response when I press the 2 button to leave the screen. What do I need to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Giant Squid posted:

I just downloaded the the Another Super Mario Bros. Wii mod. It loads up to the initial screen explaining that the game is a mod, but there's no response when I press the 2 button to leave the screen. What do I need to do?

This is not an unreasonable question I guess but did you know SA has at least two entire subforums with sub sub forums dedicated entirely to video games?

Again, not at all angry about your valid stupid/small question just trying to help.