Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

WHY did I think enabling diseases in my Masterwork fort was a good idea? Now my entire fort has meningitus.

On an unrelated note, I have one dwarf that I can't seem to assign labors to. Any idea what's up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Is he a priest? If I remember correctly priest guild dwarves refuse to do anything but pray.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Did they ever make it so that if you capture something in a cage you can transport the full cage to a merchant trader and sell it with the captive/animal still inside?

I'm guessing the answer to this is "no."

Do root tiles count as walls? For example are dwarves going to be upset or not if one wall between their room and the hall is a root? can roots be mined, cut, or otherwise destroyed?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

You can mine through them just fine. Haven't you noticed that while burrowing directly underneath big trees?

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!
Oh hell, just downloaded latest version and holy hell everything is climbing and there's a forgotten beast and...

*Retire*
*Unretire*
*Retire*
*Start new fort*
ARGH SPIDERS

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Dwarf cancels drink: Gigantic rear end.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

At first glance I'm not a fan of the new Adventure mode. Everything seems far more spread out, which is tedious. Also, the new log just seems clunky.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, as I'm excited to see how the world changes have turned out, but I'm probably going to wait for a more stable patch anyway.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I made a dwarf and started underground, how the hell are you supposed to find your way out? I ended up wandering through a series of pits with a bit of baubles in a pile at the bottom of each one. Maybe some sort of burial site? I have no idea, but it was pit after pit after pit and there was no apparent way out, I'd climb the ramp up one wall and find myself staring out over another pit.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I got into travel mode and after a few minutes of stumbling down the tunnels I ran into some hashtag signs on the map and they somehow got me to the surface.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wouldn't let me go to travel mode because I had to leave the site first. But apparently the entire pit network counted as the site. :(

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I had a similar thing happen. If you manage to get far enough away that you can enter travel mode you'll be in the pit network. Try to find some # tiles, those lead to underground fortresses (dwarf fortresses, hopefully), and if you enter that site at the end you should start right next to a ramp or stair network that reaches all the way to the surface.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SynthOrange posted:

'Your migrant dwarves have more chance of being a vampire than being homosexual.'

Also in true DF shitnerd fashion some of those posters are arguing that homophobia needs to be included and anyone who is against that is told that things such as murder and cannibalism exist so why do they care. Hooray for shut-ins having an opinion and missing the point. :buddy:

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I have learnt some valuable lessons while building the water drain for my current fort's farm. Lessons that cost the lives of dwarves, but that's what happens.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Peewi posted:

I have learnt some valuable lessons while building the water drain for my current fort's farm. Lessons that cost the lives of dwarves, but that's what happens.

The unit of measurement for lessons learned in DF is dwarven lives. No biggie.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zurai posted:

The unit of measurement for lessons learned in DF is dwarven lives. No biggie.

I guess I'm a slow learner then :saddowns:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
My guess is that the sexuality bit is more of a game mechanic. The way it works right now, with everyone being heterosexual, the breeding and (since the world is now fully continuous) civilizations grow just fine. Basically keeping it at that rate means those other, "completed" parts don't need to be rebalanced.

Also, neckbeards are heavily enriched for people who think gays are gross. And DF is heavily enriched for neckbeards. Neckbeards are also heavily enriched for people who identify as asexual.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Still game-crashing bugs in fortress mode in x.3:

Lurker God
Jan 28, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT GETTING OWNED BY DAVID HOROWITZ (AND BEING FOR THE EXTERMINATION OF THE JEWISH RACE LOL)sieg heil ronald mcdonald;;

soapydishwater posted:

Weird thing with playing as a bronze colossus: I can ask about myself as if I'm a historical figure or something.

How do you play a bronze colossus?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

You make a civilization that a.) consists only of bronze colossuses and b.) is eligible for adventure mode. You can always arrive as an outcast if your civilization has no sites.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

Dwarf cancels drink: Gigantic rear end.

So the copious amounts of vomit are from bulemia?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Also in true DF shitnerd fashion some of those posters are arguing that homophobia needs to be included and anyone who is against that is told that things such as murder and cannibalism exist so why do they care. Hooray for shut-ins having an opinion and missing the point. :buddy:

Honestly, having some dwarves dislike certain sexuality of other dwarves wouldn't be that bad, so long as it just prevented them from becoming friends or something equally minor.

I'm just happy I can finally have my all gay squad of spartans.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Jesus. The fact that dwarves don't know how to pull out stuck-ins anymore cost my quartermaster his right hand and crippled the right leg.

If the alligator hadn't shaken the iron spear out of his head when he went to town on him, I couldn't have sent a new recruit to pick up the spear and finish it off. That was intense.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Are there any texture packs that support Masterwork Fortress? I really want to create a huge human town.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Are there any texture packs that support Masterwork Fortress? I really want to create a huge human town.

I think masterwork comes pre-equipped with a few tp's. There should be an option called tilesets in the launcher somewhere.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

I'm enjoying getting back into this after a ~5 year break, slowly remembering all the things I need to do to make a fortress run. (My most recent fortress was going super well until I was reminded about Siege mode and realized sending three untrained wrestlers at a full squad of goblins was a terrible idea).

My one question is about immigration, though--I haven't been able to get nearly any immigrants in any of my fortresses. My first two waves are always ~3 and ~4 dwarves, although I've had fortresses where my first migrant wave was 4 dwarves two years in. Did this change massively from back in the day or am I doing something wrong?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The conventional wisdom (from version 0.34) is that the two waves are guaranteed and always little bands, but from then on starts respecting fortress reputation, wealth and whether your civilization is actually alive and able to send new settlers.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Kea people stole my only two iron helms

:negative:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Kea people are loving brutal. I made a fort at the very north of the map in a frozen wasteland and when a caravan came all the kea men on the map just started swooping down and attacking the guards and stealing all the items from the wagon.

That is after all of my dwarves stole the cloth for the hospital zone.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
In the new version, could you rebuild a civ by building a couple of small fortresses with the 2x waves of immigrants? You know, build a small, nice-ish fort. Retire it. Build another one. Repeat until you've got a handful of them and then build a great fort and see if you can attract all your old dwarfs back?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Considering that building a sole survivor fort turns you immediately into a mountainhome with a king... probably?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is there a way to shorten or bypass the "updating world" bit? Having to wait 45 minutes to an hour to start a new game is really annoying.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Smaller worlds with shorter histories. After it took me like 10 minutes to update a 250 year large world, I started playing only on medium worlds with 125 year histories, and it goes by in less than half a minute.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Small worlds with 250 are completely in realm of the old loading times.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

scamtank posted:

Considering that building a sole survivor fort turns you immediately into a mountainhome with a king... probably?
Seems to be that way. My current fort was founded with the only dwarven civilization showing no locations on the map. About a year in one of my engraver's suddenly became king and I'm scrambling to put together some rooms for him.

edit: And when I got a trade caravan, it said something to the effect of "no outpost liaison, strange..."

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Is there a way to shorten or bypass the "updating world" bit? Having to wait 45 minutes to an hour to start a new game is really annoying.

Use a smaller world. Less world to simulate means less time to simulate that world!

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Makes sense. I was hoping there was an option to make it simulate for only a day instead of weeks, but I guess we can compromise.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is there a way to track quests on the map in adventure mode now or do you just have to hope you get lucky and find splatterhomes the bandit camp by accident

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Dang, have you tried training up a melee force yet? My Talented Fighter/Skilled Wrestler/Adequate Spearman commander has trained up three nose-picking idiots from zero to Novice in both thrusting and wringing in just over a month, without a single sparring session!

e: It also appears that Discipline can be taught. :dance:

scamtank fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 15, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

WhenInRome posted:

I'm trying to play Warlocks in Masterwork, but all the embark options don't work for some reason - none of the characters have any skills assigned. What skills should I pick for them?

Check out the manual. Skeletons do manual labor, ghouls do butchery and other manual labor, warlocks do sorcery/herbalism/researching etc. Build up the summon blocks thing asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

scamtank posted:

Dang, have you tried training up a melee force yet? My Talented Fighter/Skilled Wrestler/Adequate Spearman commander has trained up three nose-picking idiots from zero to Novice in both thrusting and wringing in just over a month, without a single sparring session!

e: It also appears that Discipline can be taught. :dance:

Yeah it seems like training is going pretty smoothly.

My commander took a couple bolts to the gut and leg and it slowed down for a while but I just checked and mostly everyone is already at professional armor user, discipline, fighter, dodger. Started with just novice in all for most of them.

Although I notice the combat logs don't differentiate between sparring and combat, is that something that was added by a utility in the last version or?

Because I definitely remember "Urist is sparring" in green text in the combat log, and now it's all just red "urist is fighting."

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 15, 2014