Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Do any SF people know where this 1970's era photograph from a San Francisco setting was taken? Does this constructed setting still exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Urban Smurf posted:

Do any SF people know where this 1970's era photograph from a San Francisco setting was taken? Does this constructed setting still exist?

stfu

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Thats a pretty rude attitude

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

BigFactory posted:

Thats a pretty rude attitude
________/

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone around here with the patience to see this through?

I'd love to see just ONE of these things dug up, but methinks the SA crowd is WAY too lowbrow to get things done...

If I lived near any of the suspected locations, I'd be in like Flynn. But no dice, unfortunately. :/

So then...

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Let's start a new treasure hunt!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
let's find a good post you've made

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
did you nerdds figure this poo poo out yet

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Robo Reagan posted:

let's find a good post you've made

O.k., so you've buried something and this is the cryptic clue to find it then?
I'm guessing the item you buried is your head and where you have buried it is in your rear end.
Now, to find a good post I've made would require accessing the SA archives, but the archives are broken.
I therefore reason that you have buried your head up your rear end in alexandria egypt.
I would arrange travel and dig permits immediately, but I'm reasonably certain that your head is not treasure.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Synthetic Hermit posted:

I'd love to see just ONE of these things dug up, but methinks the SA crowd is WAY too lowbrow to get things done...

If I lived near any of the suspected locations, I'd be in like Flynn. But no dice, unfortunately. :/

So then...

It remains a hobby of mine, winter only cleared up like 2 weeks ago here

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Sizone posted:

I'm reasonably certain that your head is not treasure.

was worth coming into this thread just to see these words arranged in this order

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
http://boingboing.net/2014/07/15/the-quest-to-find-12-hidden-tr.html

quote:

On Friday, I leave for Chicago to interview the Goonies who found the treasure there, back in 1984. Along with me for the trip is Charles Moore, who helped me track down J.D. Salinger a few years back. And then it’s on to New York, and Florida, and locations to be determined. A crew is coming along to film a documentary, produced by Tyler Davidson and his gang at Low Spark Films (Take Shelter, The Signal).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I enjoyed reading this thread.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
So this guy claims the gems aren't lost? I'm not sure how you think you lost $10k worth of gems and be wrong about it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mnemosyne posted:

So this guy claims the gems aren't lost? I'm not sure how you think you lost $10k worth of gems and be wrong about it.

It's somewhere in this thread: he left instructions for his attorney to handle the jewels if he died. People have contacted the attorney, and he refuses to give any clues but knows where everything is, I guess.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Jack Gladney posted:

It's somewhere in this thread: he left instructions for his attorney to handle the jewels if he died. People have contacted the attorney, and he refuses to give any clues but knows where everything is, I guess.

I thought earlier in the thread the claim was that the gems had been taken as part of the author's estate when he died?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So wheels are a'spinning. Got it. :(

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Mnemosyne posted:

I thought earlier in the thread the claim was that the gems had been taken as part of the author's estate when he died?

I thought that the company that published the book went bankrupt and the gems were sold off.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
DID THEY FIND THE TREASURE

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

The Monkey Man posted:

I thought that the company that published the book went bankrupt and the gems were sold off.

The author and the publisher are one in the same, in this case.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Synthetic Hermit posted:

So then...

nigga dont ever say the word methinks again or ill slap u open hand and hard as f*ck

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
It's been so long that a lot of the possible locations have either changed drastically or have become protected park lands. There's some solid evidence for one cask being buried on Roanoake Island, but it's extremely illegal to dig there now. And I came up with what I think is a pretty good shot for the Charleston SC location, the Battery, but after I applied for permission to dig at the spot I was refused by the Preservation Society with a note that unauthorized digging in White Point Gardens, where the Battery is located, is a federal offense. That's just two possible spots that are now out of the question, from what I remember people came across more. Some land is now private property, some has been built over, etc.

In case any Charleston goons feel like wildcatting: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552196&userid=141427

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax
im not reading all that poo poo in the op

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bonestructure posted:

It's been so long that a lot of the possible locations have either changed drastically or have become protected park lands. There's some solid evidence for one cask being buried on Roanoake Island, but it's extremely illegal to dig there now. And I came up with what I think is a pretty good shot for the Charleston SC location, the Battery, but after I applied for permission to dig at the spot I was refused by the Preservation Society with a note that unauthorized digging in White Point Gardens, where the Battery is located, is a federal offense. That's just two possible spots that are now out of the question, from what I remember people came across more. Some land is now private property, some has been built over, etc.

In case any Charleston goons feel like wildcatting: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552196&userid=141427

Yeah, I think the battery location is spot-on. If there's ever a big follow up article etc. on this hunt, it's going to have a lot of long camera shots of specific spots in the ground where people think the treasure is but it's now illegal or impossible to dig.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The gems are no longer available, having been liquidated a long time ago. So all that's still on the table is bragging rights and a couple blog articles and maybe a 3 minute spot on some morning news show.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SheepNameKiller posted:

The gems are no longer available, having been liquidated a long time ago. So all that's still on the table is bragging rights and a couple blog articles and maybe a 3 minute spot on some morning news show.
Let's be honest, getting most of these would take more resources and possibly bribes than even the gems would be worth, right?

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

bonestructure posted:

Do any of these possible locations contain a matching pair of earthquake bolts?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I still think im on to boston yet here we are ;)

Always happy to show Boston folks around my crazy theory or go wherever they want to scope out.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

CrashCat posted:

Let's be honest, getting most of these would take more resources and possibly bribes than even the gems would be worth, right?

If they're on public land, yeah. But really monetary rewards aren't what's guiding people here, it's more the fun of solving the riddle and the smug satisfaction of knowing you solved something the rest of the internet couldn't.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

SheepNameKiller posted:

From the article a dozen posts up:

Preiss, alone, buried the keys. He never told anyone else the precise locations. And the secrets died with him in a tragic car accident, in 2005. The gems, too, were said to have been lost.

My first call was to Preiss’s widow and what she said got my heart racing again, the way I felt when I first saw that book in the Bedford library so many years ago. She had just seen the gems, again. They weren’t lost. As far as she was concerned, the game was still on!

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I was gonna dig at Roanoke Island during my vacation this summer in the Outer Banks but I got drunk with my friends and forgot.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

joshtothemaxx posted:

I was gonna dig at Roanoke Island during my vacation this summer in the Outer Banks but I got drunk with my friends and forgot.

A happy ending, like how some crime drama about an obsessed investigator should end. Like with you staring moodily at yet another field, map in hand, then your friends call to you and you see a pretty girl holding a beer. You look back once and then drop the map and walk toward the beach and setting sun as peaceful music plays.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Merlot Brougham posted:

From the article a dozen posts up:

Preiss, alone, buried the keys. He never told anyone else the precise locations. And the secrets died with him in a tragic car accident, in 2005. The gems, too, were said to have been lost.

My first call was to Preiss’s widow and what she said got my heart racing again, the way I felt when I first saw that book in the Bedford library so many years ago. She had just seen the gems, again. They weren’t lost. As far as she was concerned, the game was still on!

Misinformation, most likely. The OP here says they were auctioned off to pay debts after he died in 2005, which matches with every other article on the subject.

http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2013/10/07/milwaukees-secret-treasure/

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

xie posted:

I still think im on to boston yet here we are ;)

Always happy to show Boston folks around my crazy theory or go wherever they want to scope out.

I've been out to the commons a couple of times this summer. They are working on the ball field and I've been tempted to dig up home plate

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Can someone recap the Boston theories, or link me to them?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Jack Gladney posted:

A happy ending, like how some crime drama about an obsessed investigator should end. Like with you staring moodily at yet another field, map in hand, then your friends call to you and you see a pretty girl holding a beer. You look back once and then drop the map and walk toward the beach and setting sun as peaceful music plays.

Best post ever in this thread.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

Can someone recap the Boston theories, or link me to them?

There are a bunch- Charlesgate, the commons, up north by Revere, two in Cambridge in/around the Harvard campus, and probably a couple others were bouncing around the thread; I don't believe they are compiled anywhere offsite (other than the couple of the hit-or-miss boards like Quest4Treasure, etc.). Selectively searching this thread would probably be your best bet, as long as you gnore anything by user Urban Smurf who is a legit crazy person.

Wait, now that I think of it, wasn't someone tossing together a wiki just for the SA searchers? It's been so long I'm a bit foggy, and I'm posting from a mobile so searching is inconvenient.

Hoopaloops
Oct 21, 2005
On the Boston theories, the two locations most of them center on are the Cambridge Common near Harvard Square and Copley Square and the Comm Ave parkway nearby.

Poster xie has a bunch of good posts on the Cambridge theory, which you can read here. The theory isn't a 100% fit, and the Cambridge Common itself has gone through some changes over the years, including the addition of some major monuments I believe, but it's as good an idea as the internet has heard over the years. I think xie has recruited some fellow goons to take a look in the park a few times, but obviously nothing has clicked visa-vi a dig site.

If the cask was indeed buried in or near Copley Square then it's long gone. That whole area has seen major construction, especially the landscaping & grounds areas, over the past 30 years, so it's a near-certainty that the cask was unearthed a long time ago but construction crews.

The Boston area in general is also one of the worst places to dig right now given the Marathon bombings last year. I'd wager permission would likely be just about impossible to get and trying to run some night-mission yourself sounds like a great way to get arrested.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

HoboZero posted:

There are a bunch- Charlesgate, the commons, up north by Revere, two in Cambridge in/around the Harvard campus, and probably a couple others were bouncing around the thread; I don't believe they are compiled anywhere offsite (other than the couple of the hit-or-miss boards like Quest4Treasure, etc.). Selectively searching this thread would probably be your best bet, as long as you gnore anything by user Urban Smurf who is a legit crazy person.

Wait, now that I think of it, wasn't someone tossing together a wiki just for the SA searchers? It's been so long I'm a bit foggy, and I'm posting from a mobile so searching is inconvenient.

Meat Street hosted the goon wiki which is no longer available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blurradial
Jun 17, 2013

SheepNameKiller posted:

Misinformation, most likely. The OP here says they were auctioned off to pay debts after he died in 2005, which matches with every other article on the subject.

http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2013/10/07/milwaukees-secret-treasure/

I was the author of that article, actually, but the dude who wrote the BoingBoing blog (posted in mid-July 2014) allegedly called the widow Prentiss and she says the gems still exist....of course, would she still give them up if someone managed to find one??? ((Here's me, waiting for a quiet night in Juneau Park to starting going all "Holes" on the place))