Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Today I learned that the Mad Men that's broadcast to my television is a completely different one than the version being sent to Yaoi Mandel's TV. It's the only explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
I watched like two seasons of it. Its really slow and boring and I don't even understand how I made it that far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mad Men is........fine.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Leftovers is loving terrible.

The direction sucks, the cinematography is perfunctory, the music cues are clunky, and the actors sure do get a paycheck. The central mystery adds absolutely nothing to the plot and barely rises to the level of Macguffin. If the story involved a plane crash or a tornado it would be exactly the same, only the tepid drama and tedious characters would be even more obvious so they throw a scifi tarp over the whole mess.

If you try to examine that mystery you're a goony sperglord and should focus on the characters. If you focus on the clichęd characters and their awful dialogue, you're knitpicking and should consider their context in the bigger picture, which if you examine at all, makes you a goony sperglord. It's a shell game with a turd.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Shageletic posted:

Occ was saying that Leftovers was better than Mad Men right? Just think that needed to be repeated.

At maintaining a deliberate pace that doesn't feel turgid and monotonous, most definitely

As a show overall? Up in the air, need more time with the leftovers

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slamhound posted:

The direction sucks, the cinematography is perfunctory, the music cues are clunky, and the actors sure do get a paycheck. The central mystery adds absolutely nothing to the plot and barely rises to the level of Macguffin. If the story involved a plane crash or a tornado it would be exactly the same, only the tepid drama and tedious characters would be even more obvious so they throw a scifi tarp over the whole mess.

If you try to examine that mystery you're a goony sperglord and should focus on the characters. If you focus on the clichęd characters and their awful dialogue, you're knitpicking and should consider their context in the bigger picture, which if you examine at all, makes you a goony sperglord. It's a shell game with a turd.

I agree with a lot of what you say but it really has been made insanely clear that nobody should be focusing on the mystery because they don't plan on explaining it ever.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I dunno, I'm interested in finding out more about the Chief of Police and his dad and their shared delusions of people no one else can see. If his dad IS sane and actually is seeing a person who isn't there and their family has been chosen by angels or aliens or... :blush:

I find it interesting, that's all. It is pretty relentlessly depressing though, I hope some good stuff happens.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yaoi Mandel posted:

I watched like two seasons of it. Its really slow and boring and I don't even understand how I made it that far.

Tbf the first two seasons are the worst, esp season two, if the last three episodes of season two you didn't like though yeah abandon ship

But yeah season three is so, so much better than season two it's barely the same show

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't see what's so bleak about The Leftovers. Everything is more hosed in Battlestar or Walking Dead.

hollylolly posted:

I dunno, I'm interested in finding out more about the Chief of Police and his dad and their shared delusions of people no one else can see. If his dad IS sane and actually is seeing a person who isn't there and their family has been chosen by angels or aliens or... :blush:

I find it interesting, that's all. It is pretty relentlessly depressing though, I hope some good stuff happens.

I haven't seen the third one yet but I'm pretty sure Justin Theroux isn't delusional since his daughter and friend saw the bald guy.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 15, 2014

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't see what's so bleak about The Leftovers. Everything is more hosed in Battlestar or Walking Dead.

I haven't seen the third one yet but I'm pretty sure Justin Theroux isn't delusional since his daughter and friend saw the bald guy.

Yes, well, that's just because the guy let them see him. :tinfoil:

Edit: Next episode looks like it's more about his crazy dad so we shall see.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Slamhound posted:

This is a really stupid post and reads like you were consulting a thesaurus.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mu Zeta posted:

Well, bsg's very first episode has Adama state a win state for the series as a whole (find earth), so I would totes disagree. BSG is depressing sure but there's from the very first episode a scenario that everything could theoretically work out

The leftovers, even if GR like committed mass suicide next episode and everyone decided to get along, there's no chance the departed will be brought back. The situation of the leftovers is even if it's peaches and cream from here on out, there's still 140 million people who disappeared, and the backbone of society- faith - has been proven irrevocably false. It doesn't matter what religion you did or didn't believe in in the leftovers, they were all proven wrong, and everyone in it can fundamentally sense that. It's again, a show were society is slowly rotting from within

Also the walking dead could be as bleak or bleaker than the leftovers but as I have criticized other genre shows for doing it is too in love with it's own conceit to be that. The best part of TWD, in every form it has existed, has been the ruminations on how morality is fundamentally a sociological construct to help build civilizations, and when those civilizations have collapsed what is "right" and what is "wrong" becomes so malleable as to be based simply on perception. The show almost never engages with this concept, unlike the video game which is almost exclusively about this concept

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yaoi Mandel posted:

He has synonyms for "lazy" and "hamfisted" so give him credit for at least not using the two most overused goon crits and taking the effort to at least use words that mean the same thing but are different.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also I don't know how cinematography can be "perfunctory" but maybe you meant another word.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Bown posted:

I agree with a lot of what you say but it really has been made insanely clear that nobody should be focusing on the mystery because they don't plan on explaining it ever.
There are a few problems with this line of thinking. The first is that focusing on the character reaction to the mystery without focusing on the mystery itself is highly unlikely. That's why I say it doesn't rise to the level of Macguffin. If an event like that occurred, people would spend most of their time trying to figure it out. If you're going to follow the people who react as though it's any other tragedy or act of nature, why bother with the mystery in the first place?

The second is there are different kinds of mysteries, different ways to not explain them, and different people to not explain them too. Given that it's fiction, any deterministic explanation is it ultimately going to be meaningless, so there's no problem with not explaining that to the audience, but shouldn't the characters be a little more concerned?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Yaoi Mandel posted:

This post reads like every other post you've made in this and The Leftovers thread.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Slamhound posted:

This post reads like every other post you've made in this and The Leftovers thread.

Oh no poo poo???!?!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yaoi Mandel posted:

Just a note that everyone should check this guy's rap sheet before interacting with him on any sort of meaningful level.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

Also I don't know how cinematography can be "perfunctory" but maybe you meant another word.
Serviceable, nothing special or out of the ordinary, a certain uninspired professionalism.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You don't rise to Macguffin level, you sink to it.

Come on people.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Bown posted:

Just a note that everyone should check this guy's rap sheet before interacting with him on any sort of meaningful level.

Lmfao jesus christ

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Slamhound posted:

Serviceable, nothing special or out of the ordinary, a certain uninspired professionalism.

Lol are you a fuckin film studies undergrad

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Slamhound posted:

That's not what it means.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Doesn't the Leftovers have its own thread for all this toxic poo poo?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

Ughhhhhhhhhhh

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Doesn't the Leftovers have its own thread for all this toxic poo poo?
Yes, it does. These posts are the spillover. The extras. The uh... the bits that there were more of than could fit in the thread. I don't know the word.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a shame cause I like his username but everyone just report Yaoi Mandel so we can get back to the more friendly slapfighting.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

That's not what it means.
Go on, then.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Report him for what.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The $10 'P' word you are looking for is pedestrian. Perfunctory means lazy.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes, it does. These posts are the spillover. The extras. The uh... the bits that there were more of than could fit in the thread. I don't know the word.

Bravo.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Bown posted:

It's a shame cause I like his username but everyone just report Yaoi Mandel so we can get back to the more friendly slapfighting.

Are you serious dude

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

Report him for what.
Having a rap sheet, apparently. It's like how you can be sent back to prison for having gone to prison.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Having a rap sheet, apparently. It's like how you can be sent back to prison for having gone to prison.

I've been personally banned by Lowtax, does that give me any special status?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

They both work.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
More for substanceless 'lol ur dumb' posts and constant troll posts every minute and a half.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Peter Berg is bad and he made the Friday Night Lights pilot unwatchable and the episode sucked too. The movie also sucked. Everything he touches sucks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bown posted:

More for substanceless 'lol ur dumb' posts and constant troll posts every minute and a half.

Hey man lay off occupation.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

Jesus Christ bown just say "Ugh FYAD :rolleyes:" it's marginally less embarrassing at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

What I've seen it used for is more just "automatic" or "unthinkingly."

But still not really what he was using it for.

e: Also jesus christ Bown don't do this.

• Locked thread