Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

loquacius posted:

Speaking as a guy who's had like four Homestuck avatars I don't think there's a whole lot of overlap between Homestuck fans (largely Tumblr snowflakes) and bronies (largely Reddit neckbeards). It's a coincidence, in other words.

I always thought bronies sprung from the deepest depths of 4chan (then again there's plenty of overlap between the two sites).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's cool about the guy is that he did a kickstarter for some game and then was able to divest his worthless fanbase of about $2 million before disappearing into the aether.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

can someone post like a cool or funny Homestuck. Like the Loss of Homestuck.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I always thought bronies sprung from the deepest depths of 4chan (then again there's plenty of overlap between the two sites).

Don't kid yourself, TVIV had a very active ponies thread until everybody got sick of bronies being unable to shut the gently caress about ponies even in other subforums and threads.

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

I'm so sad I'm late to VT chat. I'll just add that I shook Pat Leahy's hand in 1974. One of us had a tie-dye shirt and hair like Mr. Kidd from "Diamonds Are Forever."

(I was 9)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

Don't kid yourself, TVIV had a very active ponies thread until everybody got sick of bronies being unable to shut the gently caress about ponies even in other subforums and threads.

It had a very active thread for like two days until a literal child molester decided it was too creepy for even him and banned ponies forever.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

euphronius posted:

can someone post like a cool or funny Homestuck. Like the Loss of Homestuck.

There was the one where the fans got really mad that the creator let slip that his apparently-aracial characters were actually white, and he responded by having one of them say "I FEEL SO CAUCASIAN" in big flashing block letters and then he got Tumblred at so hard that he had to change it in the archives, does that count?

No individual Homestuck panel is really particularly funny without context, either in-comic context (since it's incredibly self-referential which is a large part of why I liked it) or horrible-fandom context.

zoux posted:

It had a very active thread for like two days until a literal child molester decided it was too creepy for even him and banned ponies forever.

Wait, Aatrek was behind the ponyban? I did not know that. That's hilarious.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Oh, and

zoux posted:

What's cool about the guy is that he did a kickstarter for some game and then was able to divest his worthless fanbase of about $2 million before disappearing into the aether.

The game is apparently still happening and it's apparently why he hasn't made any comic in like a year. He signed on a real honest-to-God game developer company and everything. No news on whether it's any good or will be delivered on-time or under-budget or whatever, but it's still moving forward.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

zoux posted:

tell me more

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT HOMESTUCK :unsmigghh:

no but seriously it's a webcomic with a weird mixed-media format based largely on old adventure games that ran on reader submissions for a while, then it got really text-heavy with a zillion new characters based on Internet nerd archetypes, at which point Tumblr went batshit crazy for it and it grew beyond all control. That's most of what there is to say about it.

e: The fandom is terrifyingly insane and the creator had to move at least twice because of them, but that should probably have been implied by the word "Tumblr"
Wait, what?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

loquacius posted:

The game is apparently still happening and it's apparently why he hasn't made any comic in like a year. He signed on a real honest-to-God game developer company and everything. No news on whether it's any good or will be delivered on-time or under-budget or whatever, but it's still moving forward.

Even if the game is decent, expectations will be so disproportionately high that people probably won't care for it anyway.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Thanatosian posted:

Wait, what?

Yeah, that requires some more tumblr.txt to satisfy my curiosity.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Chantilly Say posted:

Yeah, that requires some more tumblr.txt to satisfy my curiosity.

In retrospect, that might have just been rumor from the goons in the MSPA thread in BSS trying to figure out why he was taking a break to move to a new place for a second time in like three months. Sorry guys :shobon:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Someone posted a crying Palestinian kid who lost his whole family in the D&D Images thread and I've been super depressed ever since I saw it. :smith:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

loquacius posted:

The "search" page on the site is literally just a dump of all the text in the comic with links to the pages it's from, so you can CTRL+F through it to find what you're looking for. It had to be split up into multiple pages because it kept crashing people's browsers with the sheer quantity of text.

This is one of the changes we're making to improve server stability.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

razorrozar posted:

Someone posted a crying Palestinian kid who lost his whole family in the D&D Images thread and I've been super depressed ever since I saw it. :smith:

I hope you at least don't have Facebook friends who constantly put up Hasbara bullshit. I'm taking a break from confronting them simply because I'm otherwise not getting anything done and I've already exhausted all my arguments.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I hope you at least don't have Facebook friends who constantly put up Hasbara bullshit. I'm taking a break from confronting them simply because I'm otherwise not getting anything done and I've already exhausted all my arguments.

God they keep having Ron Dermer on NPR in the mornings and he drives me up the wall.

20 million people in bomb shelters, yeah I bet.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't use Facebook at all anymore, anyone I really want to keep up with has my phone number. Part of the reason I don't is because of idiots like that posting stuff they don't understand and won't even try to understand.

That picture just really brought how bad the situation over there is home to me. I wish there was some kind of Palestinian relief effort I could join.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

zoux posted:

Lol I would love to see that.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

Everytime I hear some politician or public official use the term "disconnect" as a noun as in "there's a disconnect between thing a and thing b" I literally gnash my teeth.
Optics is mine. What a stupid loving word. Also every lazy, clubby loving Aussie type nickname for something like "lege" (legislature), "spox" (spokesman/woman) and so on.

Orwell's essay on politics and the English language should be etched into the inside of the eyelids of everyone who talks or writes about politics. In short, write like a normal human, don't use fancy new words for existing concepts and avoid passive voice.

Unfortunately, about 80% of all political bloggers and writers would be fired if these rules were instituted, so the bad habits proliferate.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Optics is mine. What a stupid loving word. Also every lazy, clubby loving Aussie type nickname for something like "lege" (legislature), "spox" (spokesman/woman) and so on.

Orwell's essay on politics and the English language should be etched into the inside of the eyelids of everyone who talks or writes about politics. In short, write like a normal human, don't use fancy new words for existing concepts and avoid passive voice.

Unfortunately, about 80% of all political bloggers and writers would be fired if these rules were instituted, so the bad habits proliferate.

Aussies are the worst about dumb slang. My favorite is AC/DC, the only Australian band, is referred to as Acka Dacka, or just Dacka.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReindeerF posted:

Unfortunately, about 80% of all political bloggers and writersD&D posters would be firedbanned if these rules were instituted, so the bad habits proliferate.

I actually like "optics". Anybody uses that term, and they're basically signalling to you most helpfully that they don't care about substance, only about how things are perceived.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It's almost like jargon is a part of every field ever everywhere.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

XyloJW posted:

Aussies are the worst about dumb slang. My favorite is AC/DC, the only Australian band, is referred to as Acka Dacka, or just Dacka.

I dunno, I learned eskie lidder a few weeks ago and that one's kinda cool.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are they the ones that call everything Legend or is that Kiwis.

I was sour on Australia for a while but then all that Gary the Goat poo poo started coming out and well

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
for the longest time ive been wishing there was a thread where in one page i could read people complaining about both homestuck AND hasbara.

thank you, debate disco, for obliging.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

XyloJW posted:

what the gently caress this is almost as great a crime as their policy on asylum seekers

e:

zoux posted:

Are they the ones that call everything Legend or is that Kiwis.

i work with an australian guy and he's said "thanks mate you're a legend" to me several times so it must be the aussies

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hahah I've never seen this before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvu0WEYNGiY

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

Hahah I've never seen this before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvu0WEYNGiY

Literally wish our public sector unions were more like that.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pope Guilty posted:

It's almost like jargon is a part of every field ever everywhere.
You're not in the field, that's the thing, and neither are the reporters. They just want to sound :cool:

Every time John Dickerson opens his mouth I want to die inside is what I'm saying.

XyloJW posted:

Yes. Lovely people. Biggest native speaking butchers of English - including the English.

ARVO PRESO DEFO MATE

EDIT: ME AND SHAZZA ARE LISTENIN TO BARNESY AND ACADAC THEN I'M TAKIN' ER BACK TO MY UTE FER A ROOT.

EDIT EDIT: Actually it's not fair to pin bogan slang on the whole country, but that poo poo about hacking off everything after the first syllable and replacing it with an O is a national shame.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 15, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

You're not in the field, that's the thing, and neither are the reporters. They just want to sound :cool:

Every time John Dickerson opens his mouth I want to die inside is what I'm saying.
Yes. Lovely people. Biggest native speaking butchers of English - including the English.

ARVO PRESO DEFO MATE

EDIT: ME AND SHAZZA ARE LISTENIN TO BARNESY AND ACADAC THEN I'M TAKIN' ER BACK TO MY UTE FER A ROOT.

EDIT EDIT: Actually it's not fair to pin bogan slang on the whole country, but that poo poo about hacking off everything after the first syllable and replacing it with an O is a national shame.
The last time I discussed slang with auspol:

XyloJW posted:

hey soag, i appreciate the slang lessons, but i've already learned all australian slang, because i've been listening to you morons talk for like a year now

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

hey sooooag i appreshiate the slang lessos mate but oive alreddy gorn and lerned all da ozza slozza cozzoive bin listnin to youse morans tork fu a fuggen yeeer now mate

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

nah m8 lemme tell youse a little somefin about aussie slang orrite

you herd our old PM old hawkey mate had the ginness werld rekkid fer drinkin beeah mate no joke mate

and a fuggen croc mate nah you think allergaters are scary nah mate we got fukken crocs size of a wallabies dingus gonna rip yer hed clean off mate

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

XyloJW posted:

The last time I discussed slang with auspol:

I refuse to believe that this is anything but the absolute truth about Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is the best British making fun of former colonies video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZjwCmJrnlY

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
All the Francophone word endings in English got added during the Victorian era, which is why Americans don't write "centre", "colour", "labour", etc.

ReindeerF posted:

How do you feel about "lede", "graf", and "hed"?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I refuse to believe that this is anything but the absolute truth about Australia:

my favorite australia fact is that they just sort of lost a prime minister. misplaced him. he went swimming and never came back. and australian reaction to this was to the tune of "well i told bruce those rips down bargywallo would be the death of him, but see if he ever listened."

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm trying to even remotely imagine this being made today haha. NO POOFTERS! And "THE ABOS" haha, man. I don't think you could even get away with that as Monty Python satire anymore.

Joementum posted:

All the Francophone word endings in English got added during the Victorian era, which is why Americans don't write "centre", "colour", "labour", etc.
I love this fact.

Joementum posted:

How do you feel about "lede", "graf", and "hed"?
I do sometimes write lede out of habit, though I shouldn't. Graf and hed are just stupid, but if you are working in journalism and using them functionally within the scope of your career, great. I've done a shitload of copywriting in my day and we can amazingly use words like paragraph and heading just fine. If you're John Q. Public or you're a journalist writing for non-professional consumption then use the Goddamn real words.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait is lede short for something?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Not in any meaningful way, no. Even if you just said "lead" it would make sense. It's the worst kind of jargon.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

my favorite australia fact is that they just sort of lost a prime minister. misplaced him. he went swimming and never came back. and australian reaction to this was to the tune of "well i told bruce those rips down bargywallo would be the death of him, but see if he ever listened."

Haha

quote:

No official federal government inquiry was conducted, on the grounds that it would have been a waste of time and money. Neither was an inquest held at the time because Victorian law did not provide any mechanism for reporting presumed or suspected deaths to the Victorian Coroner. However, the Commonwealth and Victoria Police compiled a 108-page report into the disappearance, including statements from all eyewitnesses and details of the search operation.[10]

The law in Victoria was changed in 1985, and in 2003 the Victoria Police Missing Persons Unit formally reopened 161 pre-1985 cases in which drowning was suspected but no body was found. Holt's son Nicholas Holt said that after 37 years there were few surviving witnesses and no new evidence would be presented. On 2 September 2005, the Coroner's finding was that Holt had drowned in accidental circumstances on 17 December 1967.
"We never investigated? Well let's re-open the case." "There's no witnesses or evidence." "Case closed, then."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Even the Warren Commission put in more effort than that.

• Locked thread