Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo UK dudes, GAME has the £249.99 console bundle back in stock:

http://www.game.co.uk/en/black-wii-...st-world-302361

-Black 32GB Premium console with LEGO City Undercover
-Mario Kart 8 (which entitles you to a free download game if you register with Club Nintendo before the end of the month
-Sonic Lost World
-Mario & Sonic at Sochi 2014
-some other junk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Fix posted:

I am astounded at how long this thing is lasting. I thought the Wavebird was good, but this is crazy.

I got mine in loving December and I've charged it once. Even then it still had 25% of its battery left. It's great.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Reaffirming the vitality of the Pro controllers is probably the biggest recurring discussion, so that should go into new OP.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nolgthorn posted:

Reaffirming the vitality of the Pro controllers is probably the biggest recurring discussion, so that should go into new OP.

But then what would we talk about?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

That's the key - we put everything ever into the OP and the thread can finally die.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hydrocodone posted:

And there's a guy selling extended packs on ebay that are 3000mAh. At least one goon had a good experience with this seller:

2 Goons, I also bought one.

It hasn't had any issues, and it comes with an adorable tiny screwdriver to open up the gamepad.

Since I got it I haven't had the red light for low battery while playing, since the battery life is way longer than I ever sit playing without pause.

It's nice, is what I'm saying. It doesn't come with an official box, just a tiny white box with the battery + scredriver taped on.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Dr. Dos posted:

Good news! Namco came up with a reasonable solution in 1994! :unsmith:
Bad news! They patented it so nobody gets to do it but them. :smithicide:

The frustrating part is that not even Namco uses this method in any of their games. You'd think someone with the ability of making loading times better would use that all the time, but nope.

(Honestly I don't understand how you can patent something like this anyway, but that's a completely different issue.)

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

They're gonna show the first footage of the new Fatal Frame on NicoNico on the 17th.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Nolgthorn posted:

That's the key - we put everything ever into the OP and the thread can finally die.

drat, my plan's been discovered!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

The Wii U's gamepad is perfect for Fatal Frame. It would also be great for a new Pokemon Snap and Michigan: Report From Hell 2.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Suspicious Cook posted:

The Wii U's gamepad is perfect for Fatal Frame. It would also be great for a new Pokemon Snap and Michigan: Report From Hell 2.

Jambo Safari was a Pokémon Snape-esque type game they released on the Wii. It was made by Sega and it was a greatly expanded version of the original Arcade game.

The Original Arcade game was all about running down animals and capturing them in an open world area. They added the photography feature and it pretty much plays like Pokémon snap if it was not on rails.

You still get to run down and capture animals in a Land Rover, ATV, Amphibious vehicle still.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Is there a Wind Waker HD thread? Failing that, what's the strategy on the auction?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Fremry posted:

Is there a Wind Waker HD thread? Failing that, what's the strategy on the auction?

Bit a tiny amount over and over again as fast as possible throughout until the very end and then don't bid at all.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fremry posted:

Drop a bid that's at least 15-20 rupees over whatever the current one is and you'll stun everyone else for about 10 seconds. Repeat as necessary.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Tecmo-Koei will be doing a live stream on Niconico later in the week to talk about a few Fatal Frame-related projects, including the announced-but-not-yet-revealed Wii U game:

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv185819369

It'll go live on Thursday at 1:30PM Japan time, or 12:30AM EDT.

Small update: apparently Miyamoto's gonna show up for this thing. Weird.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spectacle Rock posted:

Thanks for telling me about this. Here's a copy of the flyer; discounted Wii Remotes too! Also buy one get one select games, yay!

Click to enlarge this image

quoting because this is a good deal

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Nolgthorn posted:

I am so tired of loading screens, it feels significant in donkey kong country tropical freeze.

Yea, I like the game but the loading screens in it are definitely longer than anything else on the Wii U. I'm of the generation who remembers loading cassette games but you get into the habit of barely any load screens at all so when a game seems to take longer you notice it.
On the topic of Tropical Freeze it confuses me as to why they've still not put the other animals into the game. Why no ostrich or swordfish, huh?

And talking of Pokemon Snap it'd be nice to just have a straight up Wii U Pokemon RPG. Open world it a little, make it like a Final Fantasy. I know they don't like crossing the streams but come on it'd be a pretty big seller.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It really blows my mind that they haven't done a proper console pokemon rpg. I get that it's better suited for portable gaming but they would still make a ton of money. I can't have been the only kid who didn't properly research Pokemon Stadium and bought it only to be incredibly disappointed.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Tender Bender posted:

It really blows my mind that they haven't done a proper console pokemon rpg. I get that it's better suited for portable gaming but they would still make a ton of money. I can't have been the only kid who didn't properly research Pokemon Stadium and bought it only to be incredibly disappointed.

Do Pokemon Colosseum or XD not count?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

You must've been a hard-to-entertain child then. I thought Pokemon Stadium was the best thing ever as a kid. The option to pit Charizard against Alakazam without having to go through all the trouble to get them in Red/Blue was like the highlight of my childhood up to that point I poo poo you not.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ChaosArgate posted:

Do Pokemon Colosseum or XD not count?

Of course not. Never mind that they've done more interesting things than the main game has for a decade prior to X/Y, they're not literally the portable games, but for consoles so gently caress them.

(Colosseum owned and I would love to see another take on it with X/Y mechanics)

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I don't know if Nintendo will ever make a console Pokemon RPG that surpasses the handheld offerings, I wouldn't even conisder it until Nintendo is on the verge of bankruptcy..
But you never know with Nintendo, a WiiU Pokemon RPG could be the best way to sell WiiUs

Also, DK Tropical Freeze does not have the worst loading times on WiiU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

.TakaM posted:

I don't know if Nintendo will ever make a console Pokemon RPG that surpasses the handheld offerings, I wouldn't even conisder it until Nintendo is on the verge of bankruptcy..
But you never know with Nintendo, a WiiU Pokemon RPG could be the best way to sell WiiUs

Also, DK Tropical Freeze does not have the worst loading times on WiiU

It has the worst loading times of the games I've got.

I guess I'm not really looking for it to surpass the handheld ones (other than graphically). I just don't want a handheld console because I'm only playing games at home and using a handheld feels stupid to me, what can I say.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I feel like a Pokemon RPG would be horrible unless given to Brownie Brown or Level-5 or something. Pokemon don't talk and Game Freak is notorious for having lackluster stories in the series aside from one or two games. I can't even think of a story that would be worth telling involving Pokemon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Every mainline Pokemon game is a Pokemon RPG.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
They should just make a Pokemon MMO already. Have player housing in the region of their choice, rare spawn legendaries wandering the landscapes, and a low, low subscription fee. Ask for your parents' credit card!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Every mainline Pokemon game is a Pokemon RPG.

Yeah I don't really get the point there. When I think of my ~dream 3D console Pokemon RPG~ I think of the handheld games with a MMO camera/world and everything else pretty much the exact same. I'm guessing it's in the secret Nintendo doomsday box.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Once Nintendo makes the Pokemon MMO they might finally have enough money to fix their account system, release Mother 3 on Virtual Console, add online play to NSMB, sack Iwata and stage a public beheading of Yoshio Sakamoto.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

Michigan 1 sucked hard. There's no need for a sequel.

noirstronaut posted:

I can't even think of a story that would be worth telling involving Pokemon.

Not having a story worth telling hasn't stopped 99.999% of games ever released.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm happy to announce the Pokemon MMO you've all been waiting for. Pokemon Trozei Online.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Say, Miiverse is all chattering about some One Piece game. One Piece R or something? Is it any good at all, or is it cheap cash-in nonsense?

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Say, Miiverse is all chattering about some One Piece game. One Piece R or something? Is it any good at all, or is it cheap cash-in nonsense?

One Piece Unlimited World Red. I have the 3DS version but I think all the versions are pretty much identical. It's pretty good, as far as most licensed anime games go. Plays like the other One Piece Unlimited _____ games but its not quite as good as those IMO. Definitely better than Romance Dawn at least.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

But what is it? Is it a beat-em-up? RPG? Any games it has a lot of similarities to?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

noirstronaut posted:

Pokemon don't talk

Not a hard and fast rule as you might think.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

Bobnumerotres posted:

But what is it? Is it a beat-em-up? RPG? Any games it has a lot of similarities to?

sorry, i guess i just assumed if someone had an interest in a One Piece game, they probably played some of the other One Piece games, which this one plays very similar to.

so here's what another guy said about it earlier instead

Fix posted:

Ok, I'm four plus hours in, so I'm going to try to explain this One Piece game.

First and foremost, understand that this is a farming game. You're going to be visiting and revisiting the same areas again and again in order to knock down trees shrubs and barrels in order to collect the parts you need to build up your town. Various villagers are going to task you with building them a restaurant, general store, museum, pharmacy, factory, etc etc for which you will need to gather ingredients and take them to the central Inn. As you add buildings (and land, on which to build more buildings) you gain access to more items to help your crew in combat, upgrade your tools to facilitate better mini-gaming and so forth. You build another shelf in the general store. Now it stocks more stuff. You build factory improvements. Now your fishing pole is better. That sort of thing.

Some of these town upgrades require items that are gained by breaking stuff in levels. Some of them require you to play the bug (creature) catching and fishing mini-games. Both of these at the start are relatively boring twitch games coupled with a slot machine mechanic. They emphasize that you can upgrade your tools for these, but as of yet I haven't run across what the effect of doing so is. Certain bugs and certain fish are available from certain locales. So go hunting. There are side quest missions at the pub where you can set out to catch x number of butt-bugs or fight the dragon again, but he's tougher now. There's a rooftop garden to plant seeds you find or buy and harvest them over time. You can build more beds to the garden, but you'll need to go back to Punk Hazard and knock down the same trees again. Gather that wood.

I was a bit concerned, especially after watching the GiantBomb video earlier today, that it would be really repetitive visiting the same place again and again, but they do a fairly decent job of expanding on the same levels into larger spaces. Something you have to understand is that the first hour of this game is not really representative of the next three, and the cramped spaces and lovely bland levels you start with don't stick around, at least as far as I've gone. It opens up. There are still camera problems that plague it throughout, but it's not as tight and poorly laid out as it seems at first. Don't get me wrong, it's still tight and poorly laid out, just not as much as it is at the start.

It's a dangerous thing to say in anything One Piece, but here's where the weird poo poo starts. Levels expand, and characters expand, and items expand by finding Words. You literally open chests and a catch phrase pops out. Somehow, this catch phrase tears down a wall and expands the level. Or gives one character the ability to run across the water, or dig holes. Or gives you a 6% increase in your dodge. You equip words prior to entering a level, and then sometimes blurt them out for health. You level up your character and unlock word slots to equip more words. Let's just say this system is not entirely clear to me as of now. But you find this game's generic keys and it unlocks poo poo and you progress.

Let's touch on what you're progressing through. It's a new, original One Piece story. Now, I'm a fan. I've been watching this dumbass show for fifteen loving years, and I have no idea why for approximately 5/6 of that time. It's like being a Simpsons fan, constantly reliving the glory episodes. As a fan, let me just express that this game makes no goddamn sense whatsoever. Lost in translation or something like it, it's a series of weird flashback sequences to story arcs gone by spoken in present tense ("So, Luffy, you remember this place where we fought for her life… ugh"). Enies Lobby, Punk Hazard, Arabasta, and so on. I have the feeling that it literally takes four hours for the story to even get rolling and there's something else going on, but everything so far is pretty much nonsense. So instead you're building a town out of fish and lava parts.

But enough of that. Let's visit combat mechanics. Here, the game actually shines a bit. It's a button masher, no doubt, and again falters in the first hour because they pit you against bosses back to back right away which operate differently than the normal thugs, but let's untangle that a bit. There are two attack buttons from which you will build combos, a jump button, with which you will travel and modify combos and make down strikes, and a context-sensitive defense button which sometimes gets tricky. See, some of your crew (you can switch which of three you are controlling in a given mission while the other two are basically invincible AI) are better at dodging slash attacks while others counter them. Some reflect cannon fire, while others cut them out of the air. Basically, you'll have an incoming attack, you'll address it by hitting A at the right time, and then go on with your hack and slash.

The R button gives you access to your special abilities, whether it is power attacks combined with the Y button or team attacks on the A. Each character seems to also have a special R trigger power up of their own. Zoro enters an aggro mode state, doing extra damage and resisting stun. Chopper makes status relief potions. Franky builds a turret into which other players can jump and shoot cannonballs. Good times here. Also during combat, your partners might just call out for you to hit R for no particular reason, with a shout of encouragement. If you hit it. this gives you a bit of health. Totally vital sometimes.

What the game does to keep combat a bit more interesting and keep you from spamming attacks is to give you a portion of your overall combo movelist on one side of the screen. A checklist. If you can do each of those in the list (like a training mode checklist), you get a boost for a short time and just start kicking rear end. Then a new and different list appears and you have to complete those to power up for a while. Or ignore them completely and rock the moves you know. Either way.

I'll say that button mashing aside, I really do like the combat, and really like how different it feels for the different characters I've played so far. I think there is a decent teamwork element that would probably be suited to the multiplayer rather than the fairly dumb-but-invincible AI players given the support roles some of the crew play, so I look forward to more of that.

Enemies appear in groups or alone as boss fights. They appear out of nowhere. Do not expect to see your foe from across the room and approach them cautiously. They will appear all around you, a dozen at a time. Your partners will also randomly warp around the screen as you run through levels, searching for wood and rice and herbs and whatnot. AI pathfinding is handled by gently caress It He's Here Now. Boss fights seem to be a matter of handling the puzzle, hitting that context-sensitive defense button at the right time (this is kinda tricky to figure out exactly) and whalloping with special R-Trigger moves.

In short, if you're basing opinions on that GiantBomb video, you might want to give it a bit more of a look, find a slightly longer play video. There's more under the surface of this game and it definitely gets better after the first hour. Not immediately after where they left off, because that next section is pretty tragic, but after that, it actually gets pretty good.

tl;dr: One Piece - It's ok.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Random Stranger posted:

Michigan 1 sucked hard. There's no need for a sequel.

If Shaq-fu can get crowd funded, there's no reason we can't get a second helping of Brisco's amazing voice acting. :colbert:

It was a joke.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Once Nintendo makes the Pokemon MMO they might finally have enough money to fix their account system, release Mother 3 on Virtual Console, add online play to NSMB, sack Iwata and stage a public beheading of Yoshio Sakamoto.

Oh god no, that'd be the worst thing that could happen to Gamefreak. MMO's in general are utter money sinks and studio-killers in the long-term. Blizzard's only managed to keep theirs going on inertia and big fat vaults of accumulated income from being one of the first big MMORPG's, and the rest stagger through on vanity or booster items.

When a regular game comes out, it's largely done (barring bugfix patches) and the team can move on to something else. An MMO studio is stuck handholding the game, good or bad, for the foreseeable future while it just pisses income away in staff payment and server rental. Even if it initially does well, it's still only a matter of time until it just eats itself.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I dunno about all that....online play to NSMB seems like a misuse of funds to me.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
So I mentioned before that I bought a knockoff Classic Controller Pro off eBay. Well after the first seller didn't deliver (marking my item shipped even though they didn't have any in stock despite the eBay listing saying they did; to their credit the refund was in my checking account within hours), I got hold of one from this seller.

I put a couple hours in to some N64 VC (Paper Mario and Majora's Mask, both of which I've never played :shobon:) and I got to say, I'm pretty impressed. I did some Googling and was wary before it got here, reports of input lag, needing to press hard, and bad analog sticks. None of that here. The worst is that the ZL and ZR mechanism feels kind of flimsy. And the zone between half tilt and full tilt on the sticks is a little small. But otherwise seems fine, especially at $8 shipped. I just hope it lasts now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

My experience with third party CC controllers has been pretty bad, even my Nintendo CCs are pretty much busted now

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 16, 2014

• Locked thread