Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Maro must fall for the Birds to fly again.

Ken Nagle must become the new Magic Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Both Hornet Queen and Hornet's Nest make far more sense as black cards than green cards, and besides black likes insects so it still works flavorwise.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lunsku posted:

I love Hornet Nest's flavour :3

*casts hornets sting on hornets nest*

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

*maro turns inside out and collapses into a singularity*

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Lunsku posted:

The highlight of my prerelease was throwing a Titanic Growth-ed Hornet Nest in front of a Soul of New Phyrexia so it would take the full six damage cause gently caress it why not. I think it's been mentioned in here but the idea of hucking Hornets Nests in front of giant rear end dudes using Chord of Calling in constructed is so unfeasable but so great that by god I'm going to try and make it happen.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Elyv posted:

Correctly or not, Rosewater sees "going to artifacts" as different from it actually being within a color. He talked a lot about that when Hornet Sting was printed.

Huh, interesting. Why is that? I understand it when the artifact solution is more expensive (i.e. comparing the 2-mana tap-for-colored-mana Myr cycle to the 1-mana green elves), but if it's the same price as the artifacts I don't see the big deal. Is it just because they need to be vulnerable to artifact hate? The only other reason I can think of is that putting a green background on it hurts the "flavor" of the color, but then the issue is a flavor vs flavor argument and I think "it's a hornet queen with lots of baby hornets" is a lot more persuasive than "Forest creatures don't fly".

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Gumdrop Larry posted:

The highlight of my prerelease was throwing a Titanic Growth-ed Hornet Nest in front of a Soul of New Phyrexia so it would take the full six damage cause gently caress it why not. I think it's been mentioned in here but the idea of hucking Hornets Nests in front of giant rear end dudes using Chord of Calling in constructed is so unfeasable but so great that by god I'm going to try and make it happen.

The great thing about Chord of Calling being a card is that you get to try to live that dream just by having one nest in your 75.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

"M16 Rules update: Any cards that would go to the graveyard are now exiled. "The Graveyard" is no longer a valid zone. Any cards referencing the graveyard will be errata'd to do nothing."

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Gumdrop Larry posted:

The highlight of my prerelease was throwing a Titanic Growth-ed Hornet Nest in front of a Soul of New Phyrexia so it would take the full six damage cause gently caress it why not.

The nest takes six damage from a soul of zendikar regardless of how big it is since the soul doesn't have trample.

Great card advantage play!

edit: I can't read

A large farva fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 15, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Madmarker posted:

Both Hornet Queen and Hornet's Nest make far more sense as black cards than green cards, and besides black likes insects so it still works flavorwise.

I have already previously established in this thread how hamsters are more in blacks portion of the color pie than hornets are.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

SharkTattoos posted:

The nest takes six damage from a soul of zendikar regardless of how big it is since the soul doesn't have trample. Doesn't sound like you need to titanic growth it.

The New Phyrexian Soul does have trample

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I look forward to casting hornets nest and giant growthing my opponents creatures for MAXIMUM HORNETS

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Mortimer posted:

Maro eats sleeps and breathes MTG

One slip of the color pie and he's already reading "how to tie a noose"

I thought the pre-twitter internet (message boards?) always called HIM out on killing the colour pie.

We're through the looking glass, people.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Maro is the lesser of two evils if put side by side with Ken Nagle.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

I have already previously established in this thread how hamsters are more in blacks portion of the color pie than hornets are.

I didnt see that argument, and I would agree that Hamster would be black since they are rodents. I also wouldn't disagree that insects are more of Green's thing than Black's. Deathtouch is relatively shared, but has moved more toward black over time. But 1/1 fliers are definitely not in Green's slice of the color pie. It is in black's however.

It is a clear and unnecessary violation of the color pie to print these cards in green when they could be printed, unaltered, as black cards and make more sense mechanically and relative to the color pie.

edit-No it isnt the death of Magic, its just a dumb thing that Maro is right to criticize.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

neetengie posted:

Maro is the lesser of two evils if put side by side with Ken Nagle.

Maro isn't even evil. If he really wanted to put his foot down and ensure there was no Hornet's Nest because flavor pie he could have but he didn't so we got an awesome card and he just bitches about it on his blog.

Nagle on the other hand...

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Lunsku posted:

Played against that card several times in the prerelease and it was the most annoying card to play against. Decking the first guy who played that card with Sign in Blood because he milled his win conditions with Satyr Wayfinder was satisfying as hell though.

Nah, you need a Bee Sting so you actually kill it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

On one hand, I'd never have to play Dredge again.

On the other hand, my $1200 worth of Goyfs would be bulk rares.

That's a tough choice.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Retcon posted:

Played against that card several times in the prerelease and it was the most annoying card to play against. Decking the first guy who played that card with Sign in Blood because he milled his win conditions with Satyr Wayfinder was satisfying as hell though.

My plays against Hornet's Nest in the prerelease were: 1) Ob Nixilis is a great card because a vanilla 4/4 flier for 6 gets the job done against green 2) Soul of Shandalar does 3 damage to up to one target creature after it does 3 to the face, so you can just hit nothing 3) Cone of Flaaaaaaame

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

UberJew posted:

My plays against Hornet's Nest in the prerelease were: 1) Ob Nixilis is a great card because a vanilla 4/4 flier for 6 gets the job done against green 2) Soul of Shandalar does 3 damage to up to one target creature after it does 3 to the face, so you can just hit nothing 3) Cone of Flaaaaaaame
Didn't have Soul of Shandalar, but Ob Nixilis and Cone of Flame are a disgusting combination. Kill three of your dudes and make my flier giant? Sure!

Don't look forward to playing against Cone of Flame in draft though, that card is stupid and I don't get why they reprinted that card. They learned that Mind Control and Overrun shouldn't be uncommons and I'd say Cone is about as strong as those cards in an average game.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
How is a Pro Tour Qualifier executed in general? What are some recommendations to do before the event, when to go, what to bring etc? Hopefully I'll be going to one on the 26th in Albuquerque, but I haven't been to a PTQ before so I would like to know what to do beforehand.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Retcon posted:

Didn't have Soul of Shandalar, but Ob Nixilis and Cone of Flame are a disgusting combination. Kill three of your dudes and make my flier giant? Sure!

They were three separate games because any one of those three cards was enough to win a game. I wish I'd gotten to live that Cone of Nixilis dream.

I also sadly traded an Ob Nixilis for an Ob Nixilis when my opponent had Boonweaver Giant in hand, the worst trade.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I want to bake Maro an actual pie with five different-colored fillings and send it to him. But I want to put the pieces out of order and see if he notices/dies.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Retcon posted:

Nah, you need a Bee Sting so you actually kill it.

Using your hornet stinger on a hornets nest gets you a hornet.

Hornet sting on hornets nest is an elaborate bug sex joke.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Retcon posted:

Don't look forward to playing against Cone of Flame in draft though, that card is stupid and I don't get why they reprinted that card. They learned that Mind Control and Overrun shouldn't be uncommons and I'd say Cone is about as strong as those cards in an average game.

Mind Control was relentlessly stupid, Overrun can win you games out of nowhere. Cone of Flames can be a three for one if you set it up right but it does require setting up a proper board state for it more than the other two cards.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Madmarker posted:

I didnt see that argument, and I would agree that Hamster would be black since they are rodents. I also wouldn't disagree that insects are more of Green's thing than Black's. Deathtouch is relatively shared, but has moved more toward black over time. But 1/1 fliers are definitely not in Green's slice of the color pie. It is in black's however.

It is a clear and unnecessary violation of the color pie to print these cards in green when they could be printed, unaltered, as black cards and make more sense mechanically and relative to the color pie.

I find it hilarious that spiders of all goddamned things are the go-to iconic green invertebrate (to the point that they have a near-monopoly on green's Reach keyword) but wasps are a step too far and are the ones that belong in the color that contains black cats, skeletons, and witches.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Maro's right to be so defensive about the color pie. If Magic dies, it's going to be through some kind of death by a thousand cuts. Hornet Queen is awesome, and isn't overpowered, but you still have to fight against the color pie violation, because if you just let it through that makes it that much easier for something that is an issue to slip through, or for the distinctions between colors to get really muddy.

It's like when you see people on the Internet toss out block ideas, and some guy talks about a block where red is blue and blue is green and whatnot. There's no justifiable game play reason, and now you have a bunch of off color effects cluttering Modern and Legacy.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Maro's right to be so defensive about the color pie. If Magic dies, it's going to be through some kind of death by a thousand cuts. Hornet Queen is awesome, and isn't overpowered, but you still have to fight against the color pie violation, because if you just let it through that makes it that much easier for something that is an issue to slip through, or for the distinctions between colors to get really muddy.

It's like when you see people on the Internet toss out block ideas, and some guy talks about a block where red is blue and blue is green and whatnot. There's no justifiable game play reason, and now you have a bunch of off color effects cluttering Modern and Legacy.

:rolleyes: hornet queen isn't going to lead to whitening bolt

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

Mind Control was relentlessly stupid, Overrun can win you games out of nowhere. Cone of Flames can be a three for one if you set it up right but it does require setting up a proper board state for it more than the other two cards.
Yeah, Cone of Flame is probably a level below those two cards but it still steals games you would have never won otherwise. It's very hard to play around it without giving up too much tempo and it can really punish you for curving out. It's close enough to Mind Control and Overrun level of stupid that I wish it wasn't in M15.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Imagine Planar Chaos gave Lightning Bolt to white and Ponder to green instead of Sunlance and Harmonize. This game be all hosed up.

I don't think Damnation was a mistake but similar experiments could get them into deep trouble.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

I find it hilarious that spiders of all goddamned things are the go-to iconic green invertebrate (to the point that they have a near-monopoly on green's Reach keyword) but wasps are a step too far and are the ones that belong in the color that contains black cats, skeletons, and witches.

Creature type isn't why Hornet Queen/Nest shouldn't be in green. The creature type works equally well in either color. What doesn't belong in Green is 1/1 fliers. Thats really the gist of it, green should not have access to flying creatures. It doesn't fit greens mechanics or motif. Yes its a cool card, I enjoy the design on both Hornet Nest/Queen but the G's in its cost should have been Bee's

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Zvi said Damnation was a mistake and the man found nachos at a PT event where no nachos were sold. I trust him.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Madmarker posted:

Creature type isn't why Hornet Queen/Nest shouldn't be in green. The creature type works equally well in either color. What doesn't belong in Green is 1/1 fliers. Thats really the gist of it, green should not have access to flying creatures. It doesn't fit greens mechanics or motif. Yes its a cool card, I enjoy the design on both Hornet Nest/Queen but the G's in its cost should have been Bee's

Puns aside...it doesn't hurt the game to have ONE card every few sets that pushes the envelope. It is a decent card that will suck when it comes out into play, but there are cards that are far worse in this set.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think yall just need to deal with the fact that they're not zombie hornets and let me enjoy Chording the Nest into large things.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I just want a gosh darn insect legend other than Thriss.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Mortimer posted:

:rolleyes: hornet queen isn't going to lead to whitening bolt
He was making a Time Spiral joke.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I just want a gosh darn insect legend other than Thriss.
BEHOLD!!!! Another color pie breaking insect.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 15, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I don't think people would be nearly as attached to Damnation if it didn't have the name and art that it did.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
How is "arguing about the color pie" not on the BINGO sheet?

Also I have gathered that Ken Nagle has problems with the graveyard functions (how did he live through Innistrad block/Snapcaster Mage?) but what's Steve Argyle's porblem/deal that makes him "ruin" magic?

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Hey so I just made a MODO account and opened my starter kit, isn't there supposed ot be a booster in there? All I got was a bunch of M14 commons/uncommons. Also, what exactly do I do with these New Player Points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I understand the arguments against Hornet Queen, but I just can't see it as a big deal of any kind. Sure, green doesn't usually get small fliers, but this is effectively a big flier broken up into little ones. No other color really does fliers this way, not counting stuff like Ornitharch, and as a result feels like a uniquely green implementation of something that green should only get rarely.

• Locked thread