Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

I just came to the end of Remender's run on Venom. Do I stop now, or bravely press on into Cullen Bunn territory?

Edit: The next arc is called "Monsters of Evil," that does not sound promising.

The Toxin With A Vengeance TPB, as mentioned above, is potentially worth reading for excellent Declan Shalvey fight artwork. Other than that, nothing interesting or remotely intelligent happens until the character re-appears in Superior Spider-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Xander77 posted:

What's the correct order for reading Astro City and all the various spinoffs, and are there any I should skip?

I read it years and years ago, but the two things I associated the most with it were apparently from Top 10 and Powers.

There's not really a "Reading Order" since the issues are vignettes. There are minor threads that run through stories, but you can just read them in the order of TPB release and be safe:

Life in the Big City (Vol. 1 #1–6)
Family Album (Vol. 2 #1–3, 10–13)
Confession (Vol. 2 #1/2, 4–9)
Tarnished Angel (Vol. 2 #14–20)
Local Heroes (Vol. 2 #21–22, Local Heroes #1–5, Supersonic, "Since the Fire")
The Dark Age Book One: Brothers and Other Strangers (The Dark Age Vol. 1 #1–4, Vol. 2 #1–4)
The Dark Age Book Two: Brothers in Arms (The Dark Age Vol. 3 #1–4, Vol. 4 #1–4)
Shining Stars (Samaritan Special, Astra #1–2, Silver Agent #1–2, Beautie #1)
Through Open Doors (Vol. 3 #1–6)

Personally, I think the series has been solid throughout, except for an issue here or there (Beautie #1).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Power Man and Iron Fist have shown up in Superior Foes and the Daredevil run I'm still reading and they've been fun as heck both times. They have any especially fun stuff worth reading? Stuff in the vein of big action comedy romps. A buddy suggested Immortal Iron Fist.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Power Man and Iron Fist have shown up in Superior Foes and the Daredevil run I'm still reading and they've been fun as heck both times. They have any especially fun stuff worth reading? Stuff in the vein of big action comedy romps. A buddy suggested Immortal Iron Fist.

There's no (or almost no) Power Man in Immortal Iron Fist, but you should still get it, because it's fantastic.

Pretty sure they have PM&IF collected in Essential volumes; you could get those, as long as you're okay with comics from the '70s/'80s.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There hasn't been a ton of stuff featuring both of them for a while now, but Fraction and Brubaker's Immortal Iron Fist is tons of fun, Fraction's Defenders also has Iron Fist. Luke Cage is one of the main members of the original New Avengers, start with Volume 1 by Bendis (I'm betting your reading his Daredevil at the moment) The current run of Mighty Avengers is pretty fun and also features Luke Cage.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Is Batman: The Gauntlet and Robin: Year One worth reading or should I just move onto the Killing Joke? I just finished Year One->The Man Who Laughs->Long Halloween->Dark Victory

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

crondaily posted:

Is Batman: The Gauntlet and Robin: Year One worth reading or should I just move onto the Killing Joke? I just finished Year One->The Man Who Laughs->Long Halloween->Dark Victory
Robin Year One is fantastic.

The Gauntlet is pretty spiffy too, IIR, but RobinY1 is really, really good.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

redbackground posted:

Robin Year One is fantastic.

The Gauntlet is pretty spiffy too, IIR, but RobinY1 is really, really good.

Thanks, I'll pick up both then. I'm looking for a place to stop for a bit because I want to get into Superman so I'll probably stop after those two for a few weeks.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Skwirl posted:

There hasn't been a ton of stuff featuring both of them for a while now, but Fraction and Brubaker's Immortal Iron Fist is tons of fun, Fraction's Defenders also has Iron Fist. Luke Cage is one of the main members of the original New Avengers, start with Volume 1 by Bendis (I'm betting your reading his Daredevil at the moment) The current run of Mighty Avengers is pretty fun and also features Luke Cage.
They were both in New Avengers post-Civil War.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Speaking of Batman, what are the must read graphic novels/trades? The only Batman thing I have ever read is Killing Joke and I liked it. I would prefer standalone type stuff as I know very little about the DC Universe. I plan on reading Day One and Long Halloween. I dont mind grim darkness (which seems to be a prerequisite for getting in to Batman) and I dont like goofy stuff too much unless its actually pretty funny. Also, just give me a top 2 or 3 favorites. I asked this question elsewhere and got several lists of, like, 10 each. Appreciated but I am realistically not going to spend the next year reading Batman. Just a few more beyond Year One, Killing Joke, and Long Halloween.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 16, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Speaking of Batman, what are the must read graphic novels/trades? The only Batman thing I have ever read is Killing Joke and I liked it. I would prefer standalone type stuff as I know very little about the DC Universe. I plan on reading Day One and Long Halloween. I dont mind grim darkness (which seems to be a prerequisite for getting in to Batman) and I dont like goofy stuff too much unless its actually pretty funny. Also, just give me a top 2 or 3 favorites. I asked this question elsewhere and got several lists of, like, 10 each. Appreciated but I am realistically not going to spend the next year reading Batman. Just a few more beyond Year One, Killing Joke, and Long Halloween.

Black Mirror by Scott Snyder and Year 100 by Paul Pope. I would also suggest picking up anything with Dick as Batman.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think you mean Year One, which definitely be read.

You will also probably come across Dark Knight Returns sooner rather than later. It's a classic for a reason.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Uthor posted:

I think you mean Year One, which definitely be read.

You will also probably come across Dark Knight Returns sooner rather than later. It's a classic for a reason.

He literally said Year One in his post so I thought I'd suggest some different things.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

He literally said Day One, Uthor was correcting him, not you.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Thanks a bunch everyone! And yeah, I did say Day One and meant Year One.

Edit - as kind of a follow up - is catching up on Injustice worth it? Ive heard good things but not knowing much about the DC Universe I wasnt sure if this would be difficult to follow or worth reading or if there was a better choice.

\/\/\/ awesome, I didnt think so, thanks

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 16, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You don't need to know anything about the greater DC universe for Injustice.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

He literally said Year One in his post so I thought I'd suggest some different things.

Yes, I was correcting him. Sorry for the confusion.

Year 100 is fun, too!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

realistically not going to spend the next year reading Batman.

You could read Grant Morrison's 80+ issue run in a month. I believe in you!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 16, 2014

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hi, I was looking to figure out where I should start with Hellblazer. Should I start with issue 1? That 1980s art is pretty harsh on the eyes. Is there a more modern jumping in point or should I just tough it out and hope the comics in the 90s are better?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Ramadu posted:

Hi, I was looking to figure out where I should start with Hellblazer. Should I start with issue 1? That 1980s art is pretty harsh on the eyes. Is there a more modern jumping in point or should I just tough it out and hope the comics in the 90s are better?

The art in Hellblazer never really goes modern. I'd suggest starting with #1 or if you really want you can start with #41 "Dangerous Habits" but if you don't like Dangerous Habits you just won't like Hellblazer.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Ramadu posted:

The art owns. :colbert:

DC is reprinting the series in proper volumes now, I started there and it owns so much.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Cool, thanks for the fast responses. Got something to read while I suffer through insomnia.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you want to check the character out in something modern before jumping back to the beginning, there's a great two-parter in the current Swamp Thing that he guests in (actually his only really decent appearance in the DC re-launch. Don't bother with his new solo book.)
It's about a town where a mysterious tree suddenly grows and sprouts bulbs of magic whiskey. Everyone goes insane on the stuff along with Constantine who declares himself king and uses a broken glass jug for a crown.
It starts here: https://www.comixology.com/Swamp-Thing-2011-22/digital-comic/43666

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Brocktoon posted:

There's not really a "Reading Order" since the issues are vignettes. There are minor threads that run through stories, but you can just read them in the order of TPB release and be safe:

Life in the Big City (Vol. 1 #1–6)
Family Album (Vol. 2 #1–3, 10–13)
Confession (Vol. 2 #1/2, 4–9)
Tarnished Angel (Vol. 2 #14–20)
Local Heroes (Vol. 2 #21–22, Local Heroes #1–5, Supersonic, "Since the Fire")
The Dark Age Book One: Brothers and Other Strangers (The Dark Age Vol. 1 #1–4, Vol. 2 #1–4)
The Dark Age Book Two: Brothers in Arms (The Dark Age Vol. 3 #1–4, Vol. 4 #1–4)
Shining Stars (Samaritan Special, Astra #1–2, Silver Agent #1–2, Beautie #1)
Through Open Doors (Vol. 3 #1–6)

Personally, I think the series has been solid throughout, except for an issue here or there (Beautie #1).
Having read through it, I'd say everything up to Local Heroes is good, everything after that is quite terrible (with the sole exception of Beautie #1). The Dark Age (aka "show us on the doll where the 80's touched you") was one of the worst comic books I've ever read. One of the worst books, come to think of it.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I'm trying to remember the title of a comic I read a few years back. It was either Vertigo or an indie, put out sometime between 2005 - 2011, and had a young protagonist. I think it was set in the 80's? I feel like the house he lived in had wood paneling.

There was some fantasy adventure stuff that I think was only happening in the kid's head. Kid might have been terminally ill? He had a pet rat (I think?) that he imagined as being some kind of brave/cool sidekick. Possibly the rat was dying instead of the kid.

Any clue? Thanks!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Grant Morrison's Joe the Barbarian.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Joe the barbarian?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Grant Morrison's Joe the Barbarian.

That's it, cheers. Google wasn't helping at all.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying desperately to remember the name of a comic, help me out?

It was a book from the 90s originally, with a weird writer. It was a small-label book, maybe it was on Image or Valiant or something. It was a fantasy/sci-fi book with a title character who was vaguely super-powered but mostly just smart and clever.

It was just rebooted in the last couple of years under the same title. Lots of really great art and self-contained stories from issue to issue. At least when I was reading it, there wasn't any over-arching plot. Weird SF stories in a far future, distant galaxy with lots of strange aliens. There was a sentient tree sidekick at some point.

Any help? I want to get back into this book (if it's still running) but I cannot remember the name for the life of me and I'm away from my collection right now.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

UncleSmoothie posted:

It was a book from the 90s originally, with a weird writer. It was a small-label book, maybe it was on Image or Valiant or something. It was a fantasy/sci-fi book with a title character who was vaguely super-powered but mostly just smart and clever.

It was just rebooted in the last couple of years under the same title. Lots of really great art and self-contained stories from issue to issue. At least when I was reading it, there wasn't any over-arching plot. Weird SF stories in a far future, distant galaxy with lots of strange aliens. There was a sentient tree sidekick at some point.

Any help? I want to get back into this book (if it's still running) but I cannot remember the name for the life of me and I'm away from my collection right now.

I haven't read it myself, but could it be Prophet?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

UncleSmoothie posted:

Yah, that screams Prophet.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I haven't read it myself, but could it be Prophet?

That's the one. Bless you, lads.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Continuing on with the Batman theme in this thread. I saw the Batman Beyond animated series when it came out around 2000 (can't believe it was that long ago) and having just re-watched it all, was wondering if the comic book spin-offs were any good? Wikipedia tells me there were several arcs printed but obviously I don't know which ones to get/avoid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The one that was part of the adventures line was pretty good, probably better than the cartoon overall. I can't speak for the other "mainline" comics.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Since Guardians of the Galaxy is coming out in a week or so, I want to catch up on some history since I don't know anything about them. Can someone please make a chronological list of GotG stuff that I need to read to catch up? I prefer omnibuses or OSHCs. The only thing I was able to find which wasn't a TPB was

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785190643/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1LGWH9C2BYR8W&coliid=I27CVX8TA0KR8Q

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That is a tpb though... It's also basically where the team which most closely resembles that of the film forms

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Since Guardians of the Galaxy is coming out in a week or so, I want to catch up on some history since I don't know anything about them. Can someone please make a chronological list of GotG stuff that I need to read to catch up? I prefer omnibuses or OSHCs. The only thing I was able to find which wasn't a TPB was

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785190643/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1LGWH9C2BYR8W&coliid=I27CVX8TA0KR8Q

That's a good book to read.

This focuses on Rocket and Groot. It's a weird mix of the original Rocket series (with Mignola art!) and some very recent backup stories.
http://www.amazon.com/Rocket-Raccoo...a+rocket+racoon

Otherwise, maybe check out Marvel's cosmic stories starting with Annihilation or the new reboot by Bendis.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The modern version the movie is based on (there was an earlier 70's team) spun out of the event Annihilation Conquest, which is a sequel to an earlier event, Annihilation, then got the series you just linked and now have a new one from Brian Michael Bendis which can be read by itself.

The first Annihilation has an omnibus you might want to get to start off on the whole Marvel Cosmic universe. I don't know the hardcover state of the rest. You might have to get some plain TPBs.

e: Oh yeah. Drax has a part in the original Annihilation.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 23, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Still reading through a lot of stuff recommended. In Marvel only, (since Unlimited makes getting stuff legally real easy), is there good street-level reading outside Daredevil, Moon Knight, and Punisher? It doesn't have to be grimdark but less crazy than your usual Spider-Man baddies and plotlines is important. So yeah. Streety streety street level. I guess that feels like where stories are the most personal and there's room for really striking characters to me. It's no guarantee. Punisher Noir was boring as hell. But yeah.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 24, 2014