Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

what's Steve Argyle's porblem/deal that makes him "ruin" magic?

Have you seen his art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Cernunnos posted:

How is "arguing about the color pie" not on the BINGO sheet?

Also I have gathered that Ken Nagle has problems with the graveyard functions (how did he live through Innistrad block/Snapcaster Mage?) but what's Steve Argyle's porblem/deal that makes him "ruin" magic?

He's a generally lovely artist. Then again, Ron Spencer is even worse, and I don't think I've seen many people claim he's ruining Magic, so who knows. *shrug*

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Cernunnos posted:

He treats objects like women, man.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Cernunnos posted:

He tends to draw women in a very cheesecake style. Also his textures suck - everything looks like it's made of rubber.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
So B.Kibler is streaming a modern brew, it is a really neat deck. He just took down an 8 man with it.

2 horizon canopy
4 razorverge thicket
1 temple garden
1 godless shrine
2 marsh flats
1 overgrown tomb
4 verdant catacombs
1 plains
4 forest
3 gavony township
2 slaughter packt
4 bops
4 nobles
4 quasali pridemage
3 scaveging ooze
4 lingers souls
2 dismember
2 linvala
4 wilt-lief liege
2 ajani mentor of heros
2 brimaz
4 loxodon smiter

sb
4 thoughtseize
1 torpor orb
2 stony silence
2 choke
1 dismember
3 aven mindscensor
2 fracturing gust

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Madmarker posted:

Creature type isn't why Hornet Queen/Nest shouldn't be in green. The creature type works equally well in either color. What doesn't belong in Green is 1/1 fliers. Thats really the gist of it, green should not have access to flying creatures. It doesn't fit greens mechanics or motif. Yes its a cool card, I enjoy the design on both Hornet Nest/Queen but the G's in its cost should have been Bee's

I agree with you, I was just noting how absurd the argument was in terms of creature types. It's still kind of true - you can't really print non-flying wasps, so they don't really work "equally well in either color" if you completely bar green from having fliers altogether.

Personally, I think the card concept is fine, but it would have been more 'green' if they did the exact same thing with 1/1 reach/deathtouch spider tokens instead of the hornets. (I like to imagine a 'fixed' Hornet Queen as one of those spiders that carries its young around on its back.)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

jassi007 posted:

So B.Kibler is streaming a modern brew, it is a really neat deck. He just took down an 8 man with it.

2 horizon canopy
4 razorverge thicket
1 temple garden
1 godless shrine
2 marsh flats
1 overgrown tomb
4 verdant catacombs
1 plains
4 forest
3 gavony township
2 slaughter packt
4 bops
4 nobles
4 quasali pridemage
3 scaveging ooze
4 lingers souls
2 dismember
2 linvala
4 wilt-lief liege
2 ajani mentor of heros
2 brimaz
4 loxodon smiter

sb
4 thoughtseize
1 torpor orb
2 stony silence
2 choke
1 dismember
3 aven mindscensor
2 fracturing gust

Pod without pod?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Zonekeeper posted:

Personally, I think the card concept is fine, but it would have been more 'green' if they did the exact same thing with 1/1 reach/deathtouch spider tokens instead of the hornets. (I like to imagine a 'fixed' Hornet Queen as one of those spiders that carries its young around on its back.)
Recluse Egg Sac

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Veyrall posted:

BEHOLD!!!! Another color pie breaking insect.

Indeed!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I understand the arguments against Hornet Queen, but I just can't see it as a big deal of any kind. Sure, green doesn't usually get small fliers, but this is effectively a big flier broken up into little ones. No other color really does fliers this way, not counting stuff like Ornitharch, and as a result feels like a uniquely green implementation of something that green should only get rarely.

A 1/1 flyer and a 1/1 flyer with deathtouch are two very different animals.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

I agree with you, I was just noting how absurd the argument was in terms of creature types. It's still kind of true - you can't really print non-flying wasps, so they don't really work "equally well in either color" if you completely bar green from having fliers altogether.

I'm not saying ban Green from ever having fliers, just that they shouldn't have 1/1 fliers. Color pie violations are fine if its in service to a cycle of some kind. I have no problem with Jugan, the Rising Star(well other than the fact he is the worst of the Kamigawa dragon legends). Similar violations in service to an overarching theme of the set are fine but it strikes as bad form to put such a color pie violating card, which is not in service to an overarching theme of the set, in the "beginner" product that is the coreset.

Look its not the end of Magic, but it was a bad call by WOTC to let it through, and Maro is right to call them out on it.

Would the card be any less awesome as a black card?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Veyrall posted:

BEHOLD!!!! Another color pie breaking insect.

That's the option I was going with.
Come on, Wizards. There was a Mycologist card why can't I get a flavorful entomologist (entomancer?) lord?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It's hilarious that someone posted to point out how silly Maro was acting and now we have half the thread wringing their hands right along with him.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Madmarker posted:

I'm not saying ban Green from ever having fliers, just that they shouldn't have 1/1 fliers.

What's wrong with 1/1 specifically?

Besides, 1/1 usually implies low mana cost. You're paying 7 mana here; it's not exactly a green Delver.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

JerryLee posted:

It's hilarious that someone posted to point out how silly Maro was acting and now we have half the thread wringing their hands right along with him.

I guess? I mean, he has a point, and I agree with it. He isn't all "green fliers are forboten" he is saying don't just make cards out of character for a color because a singular person at Wizards likes it or just to have one. He also mentioned other examples of making cards just to make them. Tibalt is awful because someone said "we should have a 2cmc walker" Making things just to make them is dumb, and so is personal pet cards.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Wait is Scryb Ranger ruining magic too?

Scryb Ranger is my second favorite Faerie after Oona :(

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The back side of that thing should've been green. :mad:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

What's wrong with 1/1 specifically?

Besides, 1/1 usually implies low mana cost. You're paying 7 mana here; it's not exactly a green Delver.

Green is the color of powerful creatures, yes it has token making but those are ground creatures. White is the color that gets flying tokens (with some noted bleed in black and blue). It doesn't fit what Green as a color wants to do mechanically.

Zoness posted:

Wait is Scryb Ranger ruining magic too?

Scryb Ranger is my second favorite Faerie after Oona :(

It was in Time Spiral Block, so the answer is yes.

edit-note I love Time Spiral Block, but it irrefutably hurt sales.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Wizards please reprint Hornet Sting and Mana Tithe so this thread and Maro have heart attacks thank you for your consideration.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
U Zombies and G Hornets sounds like a good Kitchen Table deck...I wonder if I could put that together...

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

jassi007 posted:

I guess? I mean, he has a point, and I agree with it. He isn't all "green fliers are forboten" he is saying don't just make cards out of character for a color because a singular person at Wizards likes it or just to have one. He also mentioned other examples of making cards just to make them. Tibalt is awful because someone said "we should have a 2cmc walker" Making things just to make them is dumb, and so is personal pet cards.

Tibalt and Hornet Queen are nowhere near comparable. Hornet Queen knocks the top-down design out of the park and is a pretty good card to have in a commander deck or cube or any of the places where it will actually get played, no matter how many aneurysms its existence causes. I know you weren't trying to say that Tibalt and Queen are apples and apples, but even the salient characteristics in each case indicate pretty clearly that it's not as simple as "making things just to make them." (Tibalt isn't awful because he's 2cmc; you could make a good 2cmc walker, as the Deathrite Shaman joke shows. He's awful because someone made a 2cmc walker with awful abilities.)

Anyway, not to belabor that point too hard...

I would say that if something that even the detractors will likely admit is solidly in-flavor for green (summoning a nest of angry insects) can't actually be mechanically represented in the color without the game designer having a minor meltdown on tumblr, then it's our current understanding of the color pie that is at fault, not the fact that summoning hornets is nature magic.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 15, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I demand Monowhite goblins and/or zombies

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

neetengie posted:

How is a Pro Tour Qualifier executed in general? What are some recommendations to do before the event, when to go, what to bring etc? Hopefully I'll be going to one on the 26th in Albuquerque, but I haven't been to a PTQ before so I would like to know what to do beforehand.

Is this a limited or constructed PTQ?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Elyv posted:

Is this a limited or constructed PTQ?
It's Modern, decklists needed, Competitive REL, FB page for it is here.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I demand white goblins and/or zombies

Eventide's got you covered.

http://magiccards.info/eve/en/141.html

http://magiccards.info/eve/en/95.html

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

SHM and EVE had a bunch of neat niche races (flavor races, not type lines) that haven't ever appeared anywhere else in Magic. Duergar, hobgoblins, selkies, noggles... Sucks they don't get as much representation elsewhere.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Insects are in a weird place in the color pie. Most are green, red, and black (not going to talk about delver or sludge strider).

Ignoring the multicolor ones for now, black ones are generally insects that eat carrion (cockroaches, maggots, scarabs, Mortician Beetle) or brains (weevils, maggots, devouring swarm), ones that transmit diseases (mosquitoes, plague stinger, plague fiend, plague beetle), or that are venomous (blister beetle, caustic crawler) but not always as Venomous Dragonfly and Caustic Wasps are both green and they are probably victims of old design. The only modern design wasp is black. Bane of the living doesn't really seem to fit in any category.

Red insects are somewhat all over the place. Some of them seem to be old design (army ants) or red just because it has fire in the name (firelfy, fire ants, flameborn viron). Red also gets the "player discards all the cards in his or her hand, then draws that many cards" based on combat damage (shocker, barbed shocker) or on blocking (Robber Fly). Red also gets the insects that live in mountains (lithophage, flameborn viron, clickslither, plated geopede).

Green gets the majority of them with mantis, most beetles, bees (old design), wasps (old design and time spiral), hornets, dragon flies, ants, and a generic Giant Caterpillar]caterpillar/butterfly (also old design).

Moths are white except for Hawkeater Moth. Locusts are green (old design?) and black(modern design) and so are gnats (both old cards). Insect people (nantuko) are green, except for the dead ones which are black also perilous shadow.

Mechanics/flavor drive colors as well. Pre Scars phyrexian bugs are black because the phyrexians are black, but after scars they can be green as well. Green gets to screw with the opponent casting spells (xantid swarm), and gets to destroy enchantments/artifacts (rust scarab). Golgari gets insects in hybrid b/g and gold cards.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Take flying off of Hornet Queen and it's a perfectly acceptable green card. Yes green shouldn't get good fliers very often but one once in a blue moon won't hurt anyone.

Also I just wanted to make a joke about an actual color pie. What flavors would a color pie pie be split into? Bonus points if allied flavors go well together and enemy flavors taste bad together. I'm thinking -
Red: Cherry
Black: Blackberry
Blue: Blueberry
White: Lemon merengue?
Green: Key lime

No, I don't know anything about making pie. Why?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

White would be Coconut Cream.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

JerryLee posted:

Tibalt and Hornet Queen are nowhere near comparable. Hornet Queen knocks the top-down design out of the park and is a pretty good card to have in a commander deck or cube or any of the places where it will actually get played, no matter how many aneurysms its existence causes. I know you weren't trying to say that Tibalt and Queen are apples and apples, but even the salient characteristics in each case indicate pretty clearly that it's not as simple as "making things just to make them." (Tibalt isn't awful because he's 2cmc; you could make a good 2cmc walker, as the Deathrite Shaman joke shows. He's awful because someone made a 2cmc walker with awful abilities.)

Anyway, not to belabor that point too hard...

I would say that if something that even the detractors will likely admit is solidly in-flavor for green (summoning a nest of angry insects) can't actually be mechanically represented in the color without the game designer having a minor meltdown on tumblr, then it's our current understanding of the color pie that is at fault, not the fact that summoning hornets is nature magic.

You can justify a LOT of things just on flavor, but if you don't actually place restrictions what is the point of colors having identities, strengths and weaknesses at all? How about colossal whale. It is not a good card, but flavor justification for a blue creature exiling a target creature is stupid. Hur its a whale it swallowed him. Blue deals with creatures by bouncing or top of library not exiling. That is a white ability, re banisher priest and fiend hunter etc. I tend to agree that the ways colors do things is an important part of the game. If red had an enchantment removal spell it would be really good (burn wise) Leyline is a card that is super hard for red to deal with, for a good reason. Green doesn't get fliers because that is a form of evasion, it gets trample. a 7 cmc green creature is expected to be large and probably have trample if it gets evasion because that is green.

A swarm of fliers is generally white, deathtouch is green but a small deathtouch flier is most likely black. At the least hornet queen should be golgari.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 15, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Snacksmaniac posted:

White would be Coconut Cream.

Red better be strawberry rhubarb

Black can boisonberry

also good keylime pie isn't green :colbert:

E: Green Keylime pie is like birds of paradise because

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

also good keylime pie isn't green

THANK you. People don't understand the pie pie these days.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

C-Euro posted:

Take flying off of Hornet Queen and it's a perfectly acceptable green card. Yes green shouldn't get good fliers very often but one once in a blue moon won't hurt anyone.

Also I just wanted to make a joke about an actual color pie. What flavors would a color pie pie be split into? Bonus points if allied flavors go well together and enemy flavors taste bad together. I'm thinking -
Red: Cherry
Black: Blackberry
Blue: Blueberry
White: Lemon merengue?
Green: Key lime

No, I don't know anything about making pie. Why?

Can we stop arguing in circles about the color pie and start arguing about this color pie instead?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

neetengie posted:

It's Modern, decklists needed, Competitive REL, FB page for it is here.

Competitive REL and decklists required are standard for PTQs.

So, things to keep in mind:

1) Bring food/water
A PTQ is an all day thing, and you often won't have time between rounds to get something. Staying well-fed/hydrated is important.

2) Try to have most of your decklist written up ahead of time, if possible
Having a couple of flex slots in your sideboard or whatever until you get to the actual event is fine, but you don't want to be frantically writing down your decklist and make some sort of dumb mistake.

3) If possible, practice your deck ahead of time
Magic can be mentally draining and PTQs can be kind of a marathon, and you don't want to be out of mental energy in like round 5 or 6 because you have to think your way through what would be routine plays or make mistakes like cracking a Misty to get Stomping Grounds, only to find both of your Stomping Grounds are already in play.

4) Watch your triggers
At Competitive REL, your opponent is under no obligation to point out your triggers. You don't have to say "Kitchen Finks, lifegain trigger on the stack"; "Kitchen Finks, gain 2" is perfectly acceptable, but Kitchen Finks, continue with turn, at the beginning of next turn go "Oh shoot, I forgot to gain 2!" is not.

5) Keep an eye on your possessions
A good Modern deck is worth somewhere between several hundred to possibly over a thousand dollars that is difficult to trace and should be treated that way. I've personally never had magical cards stolen, but I have friends who have and it sucks.

6) Bring pen and paper
Recently, there was a new rule added that says you can't use phones to keep track of life totals at competitive REL and that you need actual pen and paper. I consistently forget this one for some reason, I even almost forgot it off my list.

7) Have fun!
At the end of the day, you're going to this tournament to play cards with a bunch of other people. If you're not having fun, what's the point?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Elyv posted:

5) Keep an eye on your possessions
A good Modern deck is worth somewhere between several hundred to possibly over a thousand dollars that is difficult to trace and should be treated that way. I've personally never had magical cards stolen, but I have friends who have and it sucks.

As loving dorky as they are, a fanny pack seems like it would be your friend here. Keeping your cards in a pouch that's strapped to your waist at all times seems like a better way to keep track of them than putting them in an easily lost/stolen backpack or messenger bag.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Elyv posted:

Competitive REL and decklists required are standard for PTQs.

So, things to keep in mind:
:words:
Thanks for those pointers, I've been to a GP before but didn't know if PTQs are different. So I write up a decklist and submit it before the event starts, or will there be a small gathering time where they give everyone a blank decklist to fill in?
I'll be playing the Rock, and know that some usually 'scout' the field to see what everyone else is playing, but I don't know if I have the time to do that. So I'll just have a generic sideboard, unless I arrive early enough. Thanks again.

Thanks for that.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 15, 2014

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
They'll have decklists for you to fill out there, and they'll almost always be collected during play in round 1. If you know what list you're going to play, it'll make your life a lot easier to fill one out before you go, though.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Here you go.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
http://deckstats.net/?lng=en can also print them out with name and DCI on it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

UberJew posted:

Wizards please reprint Hornet Sting and Mana Tithe so this thread and Maro have heart attacks thank you for your consideration.

Also, reprint Dark Ritual in a core set and stop printing 1R casting cost creatures that are better than Ironclaw Orcs.

• Locked thread