Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Isn't there a conspiracy theory the Chinese killed him for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's so much poo poo that can kill you in Australian coastal waters.

I mean look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_syndrome

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

ReindeerF posted:

I do sometimes write lede out of habit, though I shouldn't. Graf and hed are just stupid, but if you are working in journalism and using them functionally within the scope of your career, great. I've done a shitload of copywriting in my day and we can amazingly use words like paragraph and heading just fine. If you're John Q. Public or you're a journalist writing for non-professional consumption then use the Goddamn real words.

"These words aren't my words. They're bad words."

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Nope, it's just stupid clubby bullshit. HTH.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:eyepop:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

"a waste of time and money" hahaha

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Birth control babe doesn't post in D&D I bet.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ReindeerF posted:

Birth control babe doesn't post in D&D I bet.

Who even has the time?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pope Guilty posted:

Who even has the time?
So much consequence-free sex.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
[olde tymey newreel voice] Australia in mourning! "Oh, bum." says local man.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do you guys think that Australians sound more like Brits than they do Americans? I wonder if Aussies think we sound more like Brits than they do.

South Africans sound like someone for whom English is a second language.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
disparaging the boot is a bootable offense!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
South Africans all live in Perth now because of the blicks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

South Ifricans :eng101:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Sorry.

Sewth Effrickens awl leev een puhth neaw thanks to theh blehcks.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReindeerF posted:

South Africans all live in Perth now because of the blicks.

Perth and San Diego, apparently. Went to high school with some kids whose parents had decided to relocate in the early 1990s for... reasons, just reasons, never you mind about it.

They put "African-American" down for their ethnicity when they were applying for colleges.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Afrikaans is downright lovely if you're used to ordinary Dutch, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was surprised when I started listening to Dutch rap to learn that Dutch has a hard fricative "h" sound like Arabic or Hebrew. AFAIK it's the only Euro language with one so it confused me.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

zoux posted:

Do you guys think that Australians sound more like Brits than they do Americans? I wonder if Aussies think we sound more like Brits than they do.

South Africans sound like someone for whom English is a second language.

They're aware they sound British. I think everyone in Auspol has a story about how they thought someone was from Scotland only to find it's a fellow Aussie.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If I ever have a bar or restaurant in Thailand there will be a big sign on the wall that says "No German, Dutch, Yiddish, Afrikaans, Cantonese, Mandarin or Arabic spoken before noon."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is it racist to say I don't like how SE Asian languages sound?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Three points on a triangle if you ask me, but I guess it varies a lot person to person.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Only in America, though you should probably break it down because Vietnamese is way more staccato and aggressive than Thai or Laos, for example.

EDIT: Khmer is the most amusing language in terms of its rhythm and harmony and Khmer accented English is downright hilarious at times.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Absolutely No Belgians Permitted Unless Accompanied by Civilized Individuals

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vietnamese was the one I was specifically thinking of but I also don't care for Cantonese. I don't know if I could distinguish them from Thai or Lao though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Cantonese is closer to Vietnamese geographically. Thai and Laos are sing songy by comparison (something like 60% identical). Khmer is Thai with a Vietnamese accent.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Years ago I knew an Indian guy who did a spot on Vietnamese impression consisting entirely of chicken clucking noises. Looking back I may have been a bit of an rear end in a top hat thinking that was funny.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was it Russel Peters?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL8hV-zjJ_4

e: thanks xylo

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

zoux posted:

Ugh, it's no fun if you know it's me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Way too fast for it to be a purchase.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Was it Russel Peters?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL8hV-zjJ_4

This was like mid 90s, way before Russel Peters.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

zoux posted:

I was surprised when I started listening to Dutch rap to learn that Dutch has a hard fricative "h" sound like Arabic or Hebrew. AFAIK it's the only Euro language with one so it confused me.
i just saw your avatar magically jump from whatever it was to racist. such a special moment. e: hey.

i also don't really know what a hard fricative is. which dutch rap?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

Way too fast for it to be a purchase.
I saw it and thought, "Thanks, Obama :("

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Someone is trolling the hell out of the @congressedits Twitter bot that tracks Wikipedia edits coming from a Congress IP, and it's hilarious

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R. Mute posted:

i just saw your avatar magically jump from whatever it was to racist. such a special moment. e: hey.

i also don't really know what a hard fricative is. which dutch rap?

Fricative may not be the right term. You'd recognize it from Hebrew or Arabic though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nkX2hXiXsE

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

You guys are talking about the voiced/unvoiced velar and uvular fricative.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_velar_fricative
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_uvular_fricative

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

ufarn posted:

Someone is trolling the hell out of the @congressedits Twitter bot that tracks Wikipedia edits coming from a Congress IP, and it's hilarious

Seems whoever is doing it has been on it for years (and do read the last entry of that talk page)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

All the Francophone word endings in English got added during the Victorian era, which is why Americans don't write "centre", "colour", "labour", etc.

I need a source for this. I have so many friends who are all uppity about their Received Pronunciation and Spelling bullshit.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Speaking of Australians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAbbg6kfmaU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcj9tX7ZoBE

• Locked thread