Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Mad Men is only bad when it focuses on Betty

I thought that Betty was the one of the best things about the first few seasons, showing the stunted effects of the 50's era housewife ideal, and there were some rough stuff with her in the middle seasons, but I like where they ended up with her. A little wiser, but very much the same as she used to be. Not every character has to be completely sympathetic to be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Bown posted:

More for substanceless 'lol ur dumb' posts and constant troll posts every minute and a half.

Are you in middle school still?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Jesus Christ bown just say "Ugh FYAD :rolleyes:" it's marginally less embarrassing at this point

I have no idea what this means but just because a dude agrees with you doesn't mean his posts aren't total poo poo

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shageletic posted:

I thought that Betty was the one of the best things about the first few seasons, showing the stunted effects of the 50's era housewife ideal, and there were some rough stuff with her in the middle seasons, but I like where they ended up with her. A little wiser, but very much the same as she used to be. Not every character has to be completely sympathetic to be interesting.

It's an interesting character but I think January Jones is a really bad actress so it made watching her scenes painful.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

Hey man lay off occupation.

Oh man...owned!!!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Oh man...owned!!!
I read every single one of your posts in Pierce's voice now, so all I hear is "Okay, haha, you owned me. Yeah, nice work. You owned the head of the biggest moist towelette manufacturer in America."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I read every single one of your posts in Pierce's voice now, so all I hear is "Okay, haha, you owned me. Yeah, nice work. You owned the head of the biggest moist towelette manufacturer in America."

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Oh man...owned!!!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

It's an interesting character but I think January Jones is a really bad actress so it made watching her scenes painful.

Eh, different strokes and all that, but for what Betty is supposed to be, she's perfect. She has an extremely narrow range, but I think the later episodes, especially with Don (after they reconciled, sort of), are some of the most interesting stuff on the show.

BTW, just finished a rewatch before catching the latest season, which I LOVED. I don't know what I'll do with myself after next season. Spend time...outside???

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who's yer favorite L&O ADA? Mine's Liz Rohm.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The last page of this topic is what I imagine the IRC channel is like.

Shageletic posted:

Eh, different strokes and all that, but for what Betty is supposed to be, she's perfect.

I think its more a case of the writers writing to her strengths than it is Jones being perfect for the part. We probably see in Megan what we would have seen in Betty if January Jones was actually able to pull off more than zero emotions.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The IRC is 99% much chiller than the forum.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bown posted:

I should come hang out there. What do you actually talk about?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PriorMarcus posted:

Not necessarily TV. A couple of weeks ago I made a couple of people sync-watch the film "Detention" with me, which is...it's a movie, I'll tell you.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

PriorMarcus posted:

Sinkmac, how much I suck

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Occ's suckage is usually the primary topic at any given moment, yeah

edit: to clarify before, i genuinely didn't know that yaoi guy was FYAD folk, and yeah if I had I woulda known better. apologies to all

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 15, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Who's yer favorite L&O ADA? Mine's Liz Rohm.

It's Angie Harmon you heathen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pfff nope.

Who's the one that ended up murdered bound and gagged in the trunk of a car?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ice-T

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

zoux posted:

Pfff nope.

Who's the one that ended up murdered bound and gagged in the trunk of a car?

Annie Parisse, the one who took over for Elisabeth Rohm (because she was a lesbian).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Selena: Is this because I'm a lesbian?

Fred Thompson: :stare: w-what??

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bown posted:

On this forum, when places are described as chill, it means they are full of losers.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
In what world are denizens of internet message boards not full of losers, exactly?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's a coincidence that the people who constantly mock IRC or whatever are some of the unfriendliest posters in TV IV.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bown posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that the people who constantly mock IRC or whatever are some of the unfriendliest posters in TV IV.

I didnt even know there was an irc until you brought it up a few posts ago.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Of course there is an IRC. There is an IRC for everything. The loving Trek thread has had an IRC channel for like 4 years now.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I think declaring a tv show to be bad is inherently unfriendly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

I think declaring a tv show to be bad is inherently unfriendly.

It kind of is compared to 'declaring you don't like it'. I'm not going to go around thinking people are total jerks irl for it or anything, but saying objectively "this show is bad" is definitely a more assholish way to present an opinion than is necessary. Of course tons of people do it anyway so w/e

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bown posted:

It's a shame cause I like his username but everyone just report Yaoi Mandel so we can get back to the more friendly slapfighting.

I know everyone's moved on at this point but don't do this anymore. Trying to get other posters to report people you don't like is not cool. Especially when a report is not warranted in the first place.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I clearly wasn't just saying that because I didn't like him, though, dude.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
What was the report reason, deadpool? just curious

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Let's try to talk less about other posters and IRC in here (as in not at all) and more about actual TV.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No problem!

So how do you guys feel about The Leftovers so far?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Am I missing something, or is there zero discussion of Guillermo del Toro's The Stain on FX?

The pilot was actually kinda decent. :smith:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Someone just needs to finally create a thread for it. I found it decent as well. Plays like Blade II without Blade, then throw in some Outbreak.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

ufarn posted:

Am I missing something, or is there zero discussion of Guillermo del Toro's The Stain on FX?

The pilot was actually kinda decent. :smith:

People were talking about it in here the night it aired. Reaction sounds mixed.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Teek posted:

Someone just needs to finally create a thread for it. I found it decent as well. Plays like Blade II without Blade, then throw in some Outbreak.
It had some nice Guillermo trademarks in it; I'm kinda worried it's going to be one of those things where the big name headlining the show goes on to do something else a few episodes in, though.

Without GdT, it's probably going to be pretty pedestrian.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
The last 2 minutes of the pilot of the Strain was straight-up Stephen King. I'm on board.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ShakeZula posted:

Annie Parisse, the one who took over for Elisabeth Rohm (because she was a lesbian).

She also got fired/killed on the show because reportedly she refused to sleep with a producer. Which you think would cause a bigger stink on the show or something.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Man what's going on in here?

I've tried a few times to get through leftovers 1x01, it's not easy.

Not that I think it's bad, but it sure is not exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

She also got fired/killed on the show because reportedly she refused to sleep with a producer. Which you think would cause a bigger stink on the show or something.

Wait what?

• Locked thread