Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A Tin Of Beans posted:

If Miles Morales can be Spider-Man, then girl Thor can be Thor. :colbert:

I think Thor's being used more as a title than a name ...? The old Thor is still around, he's just not Thor. But his name's still Thor. So :psypop:

That's the thing I'm confused about since as far as I know his only name is Thor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

That's the thing I'm confused about since as far as I know his only name is Thor.

It used to be easier because he could just be Donald and someone else could be Thor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, I'm sure they'll explain it all.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Does this mean Thor: God of Thunder is over? :negative:. I'm holding out hope that it's just another title he's going to write simultaneously. Losing Esad Ribic would be a shame.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Cerepol posted:

Looks like they are giving Ms. Marvel a boost by doing a Spider-Man Team-Up™. It's also a double issue. I wonder if that will be enough to save the sales in that title. I've been enjoying it a bunch
Err? By Ms. Marvel #9 she's still chillin' with Lockjaw, are ASM sales slumping?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I've seen some people think that Spider-Girl (the Anya Corazon version) is going to bite it at the beginning of Spider-Verse given that she's been in no promotional material or anything beyond the original announcement image and you have Ms. Marvel taking the roll of spunky teen girl sidekick/team up in ASM. Plus it gives them an impactful death without really killing off anyone important (or anyone with small but obsessive fanbases like May).

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Suben posted:

I've seen some people think that Spider-Girl (the Anya version) is going to bite it at the beginning of Spider-Verse given that she's been in no promotional material or anything beyond the original announcement image and you have Ms. Marvel taking the roll of spunky teen girl sidekick/team up in ASM.

Oh man she would be great to team up with Ms Marvel. I hope they don't get rid of her :(

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Batham posted:

Exactly, the US doesn't really have mythological figures like that so you might not understand how weird it is to hear that the "god of thunder, Thor" that you've been told about since you were a child, is now a woman. It has nothing to do with Thor being a woman, but everything with Thor becoming a woman. It's like Hera (or Bruce Wayne) would suddenly and permanently become a man. And no, I'm not talking about Batman becoming Batwoman, I'm talking about Batman becoming a woman.

This must be very hard on you.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This must be very hard on you.

It's often much harder on the Thor.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The god of thunder, Thor, that I've been told about since I was a child is also not a young blond man who lives in cyber-Asgard and flies by throwing his hammer. Did Marvel Thor ever drink the loving ocean?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Am I allowed to think it's stupid in the way that I think most of Marvel's "EVERYTHING IS CHANGED FOREVER AS THIS NEW CHARACTER TAKES OVER/THIS CHARACTER DIES FOREVER NOT LYING THIS TIME" stunts are? I mean it might make a good story but it won't last long because they need that synergy for Age of Ultron.

Really I'm just over Marvel's whole "stunts, events, synergy" poo poo.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

If you want but it's already been explained that OG Thor is not going anywhere and this is just another part of Aaron's run.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Suben posted:

Am I allowed to think it's stupid in the way that I think most of Marvel's "EVERYTHING IS CHANGED FOREVER AS THIS NEW CHARACTER TAKES OVER/THIS CHARACTER DIES FOREVER NOT LYING THIS TIME" stunts are? I mean it might make a good story but it won't last long because they need that synergy for Age of Ultron.

Really I'm just over Marvel's whole "stunts, events, synergy" poo poo.

Hey, Thor has been in three movies now and he still hasn't grown a beard in comics! Marvel's not all about forced synergy!

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Calling it, Thor 4 is going to happen and will be the first female superhero movie in the MCU. :colbert:

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Thor has a lot of names:

"But I have many names, serpent, even as you. Vingthor the Hurler, Longbeard's Son, have I been called. Hrodr's foeman, too. In Tyr's ancestral home, wisest Hymir knew my name as Veur; unhappy Hrungnir's playmate some have called me. East of Elvigar in Gianthome they whisper Hloriddi's name. My father called me son. My mother called me darling. And beneath the vaults of Heaven, I am Thor Odinson, the Thunderer, Jormungand's Fear! "

- The Mighty Thor #379

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't have any quibbles about this concept in terms of broad strokes, i.e. a female character taking over the starring role in a comic, but in terms of specifics just saying "She's Thor now!" is stupid. Thor is a dude's name. Not a "title" or a "role." That'd be like if Quentin Quire was now Jean Grey.

Like, Beta Ray Bill isn't Thor, but with the logic of "If you got a Thor hammer you're Thor" he would be. Calling new girl (or Angela? I wonder if it's Angela) Thor seems like an unsavory combination of cheap marketing ploy/dismissive pass on the notion of a new character being able to carry their own weight.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It'd be like doing something stupid and calling Eric Masterson Thor.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I hate that Kamala took the name Ms Marvel. I mean she didn't even know Mar-Vell. What a cheap stunt.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Senor Candle posted:

I hate that Kamala took the name Ms Marvel. I mean she didn't even know Mar-Vell. What a cheap stunt.

And that Miles kid, calling himself Spider-Man? Ugh. Don't even get me started on Kate Bishop taking up the name Hawkeye. smh marvel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thor is a title meaning thunder.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't have any quibbles about this concept in terms of broad strokes, i.e. a female character taking over the starring role in a comic, but in terms of specifics just saying "She's Thor now!" is stupid. Thor is a dude's name. Not a "title" or a "role." That'd be like if Quentin Quire was now Jean Grey.

Like, Beta Ray Bill isn't Thor, but with the logic of "If you got a Thor hammer you're Thor" he would be. Calling new girl (or Angela? I wonder if it's Angela) Thor seems like an unsavory combination of cheap marketing ploy/dismissive pass on the notion of a new character being able to carry their own weight.

But even Mjolnir's inscription says the bearer is Thor.

I'm liking this direction. Thor becoming 'Unworthy Thor' has been in the making for a while so I'm down for it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Ugh. Don't even get me started on Kate Bishop taking up the name Hawkeye. smh marvel.

I still think Hawkingbird is the superior codename :colbert:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I approve of Fem Thor. Also want Rescue.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Kamala finds the Nega-bands and when she clashes them together she swaps places with Monica for some reason. And they travel with Carol in space to find out what happened to Genis and Phyla.

I call it "Ultimate Marvel."

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

Peter Parker was dead forever and never coming back. Neither was Steve Rogers. I'm sure Wolverine will never come back either.

If she's still Thor by the time the movie comes out, or any significant time afterwards, instead of Thor taking the hammer back and her being demoted to Beta Ray Bill/Thunderstrike level I'll be incredibly surprised.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Why is American mythology automatically assumed to mean "only mythology involving white people who have arrived in America"?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

WetSpink posted:

Why is American mythology automatically assumed to mean "only mythology involving white people who have arrived in America"?
I blame Neil Gaiman personally.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

It's always kinda fun when I remember that comics still exist to check what's going on. Going from the October solicits I see that Wolverine is dead? Steve Rogers now an old man? Someone put Red Skull and Apocalypse in a blender?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Laughing Zealot posted:

Someone put Red Skull and Apocalypse in a blender?

Red Skull and Onslaught, actually.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Everybody is missing the big picture when it comes to Thor, that costume is not skimpy enough to get painted on the side of a van. I mean come on Arron you get a half yard of fabric max for women in van art, get your head in the game.

Also she needs a tiger or panther.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
^^^^^ One thing that I can never unsee now when it comes to women in armor is the chestplate -- Thor's design is great BUT it looks like the chestplate is molded to accentuate her breasts, which wouldn't actually be practical, and actually be a lethal design because the metal sloping between her breasts could damage her ribcage if impacted. ^^^^^

Laughing Zealot posted:

It's always kinda fun when I remember that comics still exist to check what's going on. Going from the October solicits I see that Wolverine is dead? Steve Rogers now an old man? Someone put Red Skull and Apocalypse in a blender?

Wolverine's gonna die soon, yes.

Rogers was just recently drained of his Super Soldier serum.

Red Skull harvested Xavier's brain and now is in his noodle, and since Onslaught was Xavier corrupted, so, there we go.

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 15, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

^^^^^ One thing that I can never unsee now when it comes to women in armor is the chestplate -- Thor's design is great BUT it looks like the chestplate is molded to accentuate her breasts, which wouldn't actually be practical, and actually be a lethal design because the metal sloping between her breasts could damage her ribcage if impacted. ^^^^^

That's okay, she's a magical comic book goddess so this is not going to happen.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
The new lady Thor is supposedly a new character right? Not Sif or one of the daughters from God of Thunder?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope Fem-Thor is Gwen Stacy.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Trast posted:

The new lady Thor is supposedly a new character right? Not Sif or one of the daughters from God of Thunder?

According to TIME it's a pre-existing Thor character but they'll going to keep it a mystery for awhile. You know, like they did with Red Hulk.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Jane Foster just went off with Asgard into space. Maybe it's her?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm actually thinking it's Rosalind Solomon. It could be Jane, but she's on the Magic Bus Asgard at the moment as Midgard's ambassador and thus isn't on Earth.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Horrible Taste posted:

Thor has a lot of names:

"But I have many names, serpent, even as you. Vingthor the Hurler, Longbeard's Son, have I been called. Hrodr's foeman, too. In Tyr's ancestral home, wisest Hymir knew my name as Veur; unhappy Hrungnir's playmate some have called me. East of Elvigar in Gianthome they whisper Hloriddi's name. My father called me son. My mother called me darling. And beneath the vaults of Heaven, I am Thor Odinson, the Thunderer, Jormungand's Fear! "

- The Mighty Thor #379

God drat I really need to get around to reading Simonson's Thor. Just reading the synopsis for that issue makes it sound amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Horrible Taste posted:

According to TIME it's a pre-existing Thor character but they'll going to keep it a mystery for awhile. You know, like they did with Red Hulk.

Aww that's disappointing, when I heard the news I had hoped Thor was going to become a female but remain the exact same metal-as-gently caress atom bomb that the Avengers call in when they need a heavy hitter.

• Locked thread