Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

Took a break from Gargoyles to do up the special release Captain, replacing his Stormbolter-on-hip pose with a Sternguard Veteran Combi-melta (which actually fit perfectly without any effort).

Sergeant/Captain Palatine ready for duty!

That's stonking great. Cap' looks awesome with a helmet, he looks so damned big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Speaking of conversions and counts as, saw this is coming in the future

Aside from being easy to Ork up, I forsee a potential line - the Leman Russ already resembles a French BDR G1B, this one is a Matilda II, they should make a KV-1/T-34-85 to go with Vostroyans, an M4 sherman to go with Catachans, and absolutely not make any German tanks for the IG with swastikas on them to use.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Esser-Z posted:

Scratchbuilds and conversions are the heart of an Ork army. I really should convert my Battlewagons instead of buying them. Would've converted my buggies, but the Mantic Raptor was PERFECT for them.

On that note, what're the rough dimensions of a Battlewgon? Need to know how big I'm looking for when I get ready to build some!

You should bookmark this: http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=50382

I would still strongly recommend getting at least one new-in-box BW kit, it's really worth it for the bits you can apply to other builds, and because studying the kit first hand gives you a much better handle on appropriate scaling for hatches etc.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Cataphract posted:

I was always a fan of the Tzeentch cube daemon army

That is a stupidly good idea. If I ever played demons (imperium 4 lyfe) I'd do that for my Tzeentch stuff.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK, I'll be the sacrifice - what is the relevance of the cubes and Tzeentch?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Shallow posted:

You should bookmark this: http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=50382

I would still strongly recommend getting at least one new-in-box BW kit, it's really worth it for the bits you can apply to other builds, and because studying the kit first hand gives you a much better handle on appropriate scaling for hatches etc.

Alright, thanks a ton!

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I'm slowly starting to succomb to the pull of starting on 40K again. Thought Kill Team would be enough, but alas... they pull you back in :(

So... Grey Knights any good? I need an army with a relatively low model count due to time constraints and compulsive overthinking/modelling quirks.

I was thinking about running it with Inq. Corteaz so I can use a bunch of my existing kill team models as henchmen, and then just a few squads of marines, some termies, dreads and a dreadknight... maybe 1500 points?

Sounds completely stupid?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

krushgroove posted:

Nothing, really, just that Tzeentchian daemons are thought to be always changing and adopt strange appearances.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

NTRabbit posted:

Aside from being easy to Ork up, I forsee a potential line - the Leman Russ already resembles a French BDR G1B, this one is a Matilda II, they should make a KV-1/T-34-85 to go with Vostroyans, an M4 sherman to go with Catachans, and absolutely not make any German tanks for the IG with swastikas on them to use.
I mean, it's meant to be a counts-as Leman Russ. There's even sponson mounting for it. I think a Patton would be better for Catachans, since we didn't use Shermans in Vietnam.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So, from looking around online, everyone seems to be sold out of Stormreach.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So, from looking around online, everyone seems to be sold out of Stormreach.

Limited anything sells out with a quickness. If you are waiting for a tiny rulebook there will probably be more around once they put them into the DV sets.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Supposedly the next WD has Dark Vengeance in it, so maybe as soon as the 26th for a new version of that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SRM posted:

I mean, it's meant to be a counts-as Leman Russ. There's even sponson mounting for it. I think a Patton would be better for Catachans, since we didn't use Shermans in Vietnam.

Yeah I know it is, it's from Victoria who make all the not-IG, I just thought it was a neat idea with thus far nice execution and figured it was easy to take further. While the Patton is historically suitable to the Catachans and the Sherman isn't, I'm not sure it's as easily turned into a 40k vehicle, which is why I said Sherman. The Patton series are too modern in appearance, IG tanks are all about sponsons, tall slab sides and chunky turrets slammed on top.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 15, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

krushgroove posted:

Change all day, all forms imaginable, die never. #JustTzeentchThings

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah I know it is, it's from Victoria who make all the not-IG, I just thought it was a neat idea with thus far nice execution and figured it was easy to take further. While the Patton is historically suitable to the Catachans and the Sherman isn't, I'm not sure it's as easily turned into a 40k vehicle, which is why I said Sherman. The Patton series are too modern in appearance, IG tanks are all about sponsons, tall slab sides and chunky turrets slammed on top.

I think a Grant or Stuart would be a better starting point. They are even more slab-sided and have big hull guns.

I have a feeling that if you really want T-34 looking Ruses, you can get 80-90% of the way there by just putting Rus turrets on Chimera hulls.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If someone were to make 40k-ish Shermans I'd buy at least a couple for HQ usage because as much as I love tanks and IG I'm not the biggest fan of the Leman Russ design.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I don't think a 40K style Sherman would look that different from a Rus, actually. The front would have more slope and the tracks wouldn't go all the way around, but aside from the hull emplacement and the comically over-sized gun barrels, they have a fairly similar profile. The Rus is just stubbier.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

I don't think a 40K style Sherman would look that different from a Rus, actually. The front would have more slope and the tracks wouldn't go all the way around, but aside from the hull emplacement and the comically over-sized gun barrels, they have a fairly similar profile. The Rus is just stubbier.

That's a good point yeah but I think it's the stubbiness that irks me the most in a sense. It looks a bit too compressed for its own good, there is a FW hull that does fix that somewhat but then again it is also a Forgeworld item. Always liked my tanks to be a bit more sleeker looking than just a semi-square box with threads. But that's just me obviously.
Or I should just use model kits as count-as but they are annoyingly fiddly to deal with and I'd love to have an easily assembled kit to use as a count-as.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The T1 Heavy Tank would certainly suit purposes for an American tank, but they never saw combat and most people have no idea what they are or what they look like, so they won't have the same impact. I guess an M5 Stuart would be flat and distinctive enough. Not the M3 Stuart though.

Could always try an M3 Lee, they're goofy enough to be 40k :v:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
So is there any indication what else they have in IA:4 2.0 for nids other than the new MC? Changes to the existing bio-titans?

vvvv Day 1 preorder.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 15, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
They are adding Marbo back in as a named Lictor special character.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

The T1 Heavy Tank would certainly suit purposes for an American tank, but they never saw combat and most people have no idea what they are or what they look like, so they won't have the same impact. I guess an M5 Stuart would be flat and distinctive enough. Not the M3 Stuart though.

Could always try an M3 Lee, they're goofy enough to be 40k :v:

Nah, it should be the M3 Stuart, and it should be able to take PotMS as an upgrade. That way you can field Haunted Tanks.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
When did this become the H*istory Channel thread?

Have some more weird Tzeentch stuff:

*H is for Hitler, all day every day, Hitler, aliens, alien Hitlers.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
30k/40k question: How should I arm my front line sergeants/centurions?

Melta bombs and Artificer Armour are only 15 points, which seems like a good option for somebody who’s going to be beating faces, in challenges, taking sniper fire, and need some anti armor flexibility.

But which melee weapon? Power Axe, Lightning Claw, or Power Fist? Legionaries don’t have to accept challenges and often the sergeant/centurion will be in a blob with several different characters, including an HQ.

NTRabbit posted:

If the 30k imperial army stuff doesn't end up looking good, this is what I plan to use for my not GW tanks:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Post 9-11 User posted:

When did this become the H*istory Channel thread?

*H is for Hitler, all day every day, Hitler, aliens, alien Hitlers.

Why are you complaining about sweet tank chat?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
There is literally no reason for a Space Marine to take a Power Axe. If Warhammer wasn't retarded and Axes were -1 Initiative instead of Always Initiative 1, there'd be a use. Get a power sword, get a power fist if you're feeling sassy and want to punch tanks.

Holy god damned gently caress that tank is amazing. What company makes it? :monocle:

http://gwfwmort.bplaced.net/web1/in...cchk=1&Itemid=8

Jesus christ. :shlick:

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 15, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Don't bother with a power sword. They're just not that great and a single lightning claw is going to perform identically if not plain better. Please make power swords worth taking GW. :ohdear:

Why did someone photoshop this dude onto a defiler?

It's a cool idea, but why slap that guy over an already converted model?

Oh, and that defiler is clearly Slaaneshi. You can see the symbol on its legs. :spergin:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Maybe they were just trying to think of a conversion and used the first readily available image?

Germ
May 7, 2013

I like the cubes, but... this. This! It makes me want to take some acid and lick some eyeballs, so it must be Tzeentch.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
Is there a better way to put Necron Immortals together other than hoping that their arms happen to align properly? I'd like to finish the ones I have, but I'm terrible at getting the arms glued on properly.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Safety Factor posted:

Don't bother with a power sword. They're just not that great and a single lightning claw is going to perform identically if not plain better. Please make power swords worth taking GW. :ohdear:

Why did someone photoshop this dude onto a defiler?

It's a cool idea, but why slap that guy over an already converted model?

Oh, and that defiler is clearly Slaaneshi. You can see the symbol on its legs. :spergin:

Especially since he's much better as an ork.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
So the question becomes- power fist or lightning claw? The claw will kill line troops and the first will kill terminators, right? So if I have beatstick HQ then the lightning claw is a better choice, otherwise a power fist is better?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I thought for sure that we would have a Marbo data slate by now. I bet anything we'll gt it in that "special surprise" in Sep. or whatever. That's it that's their surprise.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
It's important to note that a lot of Legion-specific terminators are WS5, which is going to change the math on killing them a bit. Likewise some Legions are going to have 3+ invulns (Fists, Hands, and Salamanders, off the top of my head), so you're not looking at a winning fight. A 20-man Legionaire squad is probably not looking at meaningfully harming a Terminator squad in CC. If you're talking about using a lightning claw on an HQ, I would say 'almost literally never'. In 40k it has it's places but 30k has enough variety that you you don't need to take a S-, useless against armor melee weapon that costs you points. If you're going to pick one for your Legionaire sergeants I'd say a power fist is pretty universally useful despite I1. I've hated lightning claws ever since I charged a 12 man Fire Warrior squad and did like 2 casualties, so ymmv, but all in all I think fists are the better choice to at least threaten armor or terminator HQs.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

It's important to note that a lot of Legion-specific terminators are WS5, which is going to change the math on killing them a bit. Likewise some Legions are going to have 3+ invulns (Fists, Hands, and Salamanders, off the top of my head), so you're not looking at a winning fight. A 20-man Legionaire squad is probably not looking at meaningfully harming a Terminator squad in CC. If you're talking about using a lightning claw on an HQ, I would say 'almost literally never'. In 40k it has it's places but 30k has enough variety that you you don't need to take a S-, useless against armor melee weapon that costs you points. If you're going to pick one for your Legionaire sergeants I'd say a power fist is pretty universally useful despite I1. I've hated lightning claws ever since I charged a 12 man Fire Warrior squad and did like 2 casualties, so ymmv, but all in all I think fists are the better choice to at least threaten armor or terminator HQs.

How will them having WS5 change your chances of killing them? WS4 hits WS5 on a 4+. And you caused 2 casualties with lightning claws, but how many attacks did you have? If it was just a sergeant, then that's at most 4. Lightning claws, in pairs, are pretty cool on beatstick characters. Singular ones aren't quite so good, but I take one once in a while anyways. A power fist on a dude with a 2+ armor save isn't a bad idea either.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Power Fists costs the same as Melta Bombs + Lightning Claw. I think that, between the sword and lightning claw, they perform about the same (you get 3 attacks with the power sword and only 2 with the lightning claw).

AurumDude
Jul 13, 2014
Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell
In a similar vein, what do people think about kitting a warboss with a Big Choppa over a Powerklaw? He'd be S7 AP4 into combat, rolling with enough nobs that you're gonna eventually roll that 1 or 2.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Power Fists costs the same as Melta Bombs + Lightning Claw. I think that, between the sword and lightning claw, they perform about the same (you get 3 attacks with the power sword and only 2 with the lightning claw).

I don't know the legion rules but does it have to be a power sword? Power axes are AP2 and give you an extra attack. I think that would be the best option.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
That's my fault, I read the WS to hit chart wrong. I get the underlying concept behind lightning claw beat sticks but you're trading killing potential for...what? In 30k striking at initiative can be a big deal because almost everyone's initiative is the same but at the same time 30k HQs can be ridiculously tanky despite low wound counts. I'm happy to roll the dice on my 2+3+ HQ to survive a round of the lovely weapons that strike at initiative before he can hit them 5 times with a thunder hammer. In lower point games where HQs probably aren't maxing out their saves striking at I value can be a bigger deal but otherwise I have trouble justifying even the modest points cost.

Btw the 2 casualties were caused by 5 assault terminators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

AurumDude posted:

In a similar vein, what do people think about kitting a warboss with a Big Choppa over a Powerklaw? He'd be S7 AP4 into combat, rolling with enough nobs that you're gonna eventually roll that 1 or 2.
Well, the warboss is gonna be hitting at I4 with that choppa, which is after any real combat characters. I'd rather try to double out characters with a power klaw and a heap of attacks.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Btw the 2 casualties were caused by 5 assault terminators.
It sounded like you said a single lightning claw, not 15-20 attacks from dudes with lightning claws. That's just lovely rolling.

• Locked thread