Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Al! posted:

started a great american tradition of putting africans to death without good reason
started, in 1903

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

started, in 1903

well, by electricity anyway

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

syscall girl posted:

in order to prove dc was a good and safe way to transmit electricity he electrocuted an elephant with ac

kind of a tool imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bonoHQhhST8

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

syscall girl posted:

in order to prove dc was a good and safe way to transmit electricity he electrocuted an elephant with ac

kind of a tool imo

i think that was specifically to try and demonstrate that ac was dangerous, not to prove anything about the safety of dc

it's kind of hilarious to imagine what the electrical system would have looked like in edison's world though. power stations on every block running bus bars the size of pipes into people's houses, glowing red hot and sagging at night when everyone turned on their tvs

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

obviously we'd all have room temperature superconductors

vOv fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 16, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

vOv posted:

obviously we'd all have room temperature semiconductors

p. sure we've got them already

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ive got a room temperature semi iykwim

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

p. sure we've got them already

gdi i knew something was off about that post

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

i think that was specifically to try and demonstrate that ac was dangerous, not to prove anything about the safety of dc

it's kind of hilarious to imagine what the electrical system would have looked like in edison's world though. power stations on every block running bus bars the size of pipes into people's houses, glowing red hot and sagging at night when everyone turned on their tvs

cba to find it but there was a recent article about the DC power grid in sf that just exists to power elevators

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

cba to find it but there was a recent article about the DC power grid in sf that just exists to power elevators

i thought they got rid of all of those a few years ago

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/the-smarter-grid/san-franciscos-secret-dc-grid

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

i thought they got rid of all of those a few years ago

slowly phasing out the grid (slapping converters onto AC grid piecemeal), elevator installs to expensive to replace wholesale

or just go read the real article that im half remembering

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/191197566/faire-play-barbie-compatible-3d-printed-medieval-a

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

not a chainmail bikini. funded.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012

quote:

I'm just some dude cranking out 3d models in his basement.

yeah me too

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have ah ard time imagining nerds in their basement who are also good at art and making stuff. i mean i know it is a real thing but it just confuses me. you can draw lines and you're a weird fedora'd loser??? does not computer

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
you do realize artists have always been weridoes forever right?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

stoutfish posted:

you do realize artists have always been weridoes forever right?

yeah but they also had sex

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

lol

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

pretty much everyone has sex

and if you make a weird art and just dedicate yourself to it you get a muse who will gently caress your syphilitic brains out

or you can pull a newton i guess

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
2 nerds diverged in a yellow wood

syscall girl posted:

and if you make a weird art and just dedicate yourself to it you get a muse who will gently caress your syphilitic brains out
and that made all the difference

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

2 nerds diverged in a yellow wood

and that made all the difference

isn't the point of that poem that the road didn't actually make any difference at all

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

vOv posted:

isn't the point of that poem that the road didn't actually make any difference at all

yep

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

vOv posted:

mlml

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

BobHoward posted:

speaking of "if he gets to cash out", this guy should give matthew inman a cut if he manages to

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/let-s-build-a-planetary-energy-transmitter

– it makes possible a drastic improvement in environmental health as well as employing the energy of the desert!!!

i'm the horrible engrish / not proofread plea to the public

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

goddamnedtwisto posted:

then you get onto the planning for nuclear war in the uk and it's loving terrifying

u mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGMdnod8VPI

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Create Perl Competition to the PHP Content Management System

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Liberate a powerful, popular CMS written in Perl to compete with WordPress and create demand for Perl skills.

:laffo:

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Kickstarter: Making node.js look like a good idea in comparison

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
heres a bunch of poo poo i wrote for an imp zone kick starter thread

The Game of Hurt Feelings:

The excitement of Dealing Cards, Counting Points, and Passively Aggressively Calling Out Your Friends For poo poo, presented to you through the medium of a milquetoast and yawn-worthy Youtube video. He couldn't even find 2 other friends to pretend to play the game, with the promise of maybe, possibly, getting a cut of the profits.

Second Contestant:

Let's Burn my XBone

This one is just dumb because he wants people to pay something he should be doing for free. You could donate money to feed people starving in war-torn contries, but instead, consider helping this person burn their XBone because no one will buy it.

quote:

$5 - I will write your name on the Xbox One as it is burned, and send you a personal thank you note for supporting this.

This is almost worth it because I want to watch someone burn their hand etching in a 27 character name on an XBox One.

Last Contestant (Because part of me kind of likes it):

Video Game Babies A-to-Z - For $30 you can get a picture book to teach your child the ABC's using gaming! That's right, you can finally be a good parent, while remaining loyal to your addiction hobby!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

children's books: the refuge of the unemployable "illustrator"

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

jonnys southern escape plan, revealed

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

how about a home wifi router with 3 USB ports, HDMI and of course android.

but why stop there, make it a home automation system with virus scan and parental controls. oh, roll your own home screen too.

should only take $42k.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
and yet you didn't provide the link

a shameful cj

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

there's even 2 models, a 7 inch and an 8.4 inch

with optional SSD!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/soap-the-intelligent-touchscreen-quad-band-router-home-automation-center

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

wirelessly charge your router too

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

hubris.height posted:

The Game of Hurt Feelings:

The excitement of Dealing Cards, Counting Points, and Passively Aggressively Calling Out Your Friends For poo poo, presented to you through the medium of a milquetoast and yawn-worthy Youtube video. He couldn't even find 2 other friends to pretend to play the game, with the promise of maybe, possibly, getting a cut of the profits.

the cards are all kept in secret except when youve played the first round and you know who played what because you have to claim your card back

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

PleasureKevin posted:

wirelessly charge your router too

I'm the terrible rendering

Also I love how they say they're creating the devices, but they do not even show any working prototypes anywhere on their campaign page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I guess that's why they went with indiegogo instead of kickstarter since kickstarter won't let you create a funding project with mockups

• Locked thread