Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
They could make like infantry Blueshifts as a weapon tier and make them VS-exclusive. Basically weapons that are fixed at 125 or 143 damage but with the ROF profiles of something a tier or so below (e.g. 143 damage with the ROF of the Bandit). TR get low damage, NC get high damage, VS get extremely consistent damage. Problem is these variants would be abysmal up close, since unlike Blueshifts you're not in a MAX to soak damage while you massacre scrubs. Even making them super accurate wouldn't necessarily fix this (but it might help).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Nakar posted:

They could make like infantry Blueshifts as a weapon tier and make them VS-exclusive. Basically weapons that are fixed at 125 or 143 damage but with the ROF profiles of something a tier or so below (e.g. 143 damage with the ROF of the Bandit). TR get low damage, NC get high damage, VS get extremely consistent damage. Problem is these variants would be abysmal up close, since unlike Blueshifts you're not in a MAX to soak damage while you massacre scrubs. Even making them super accurate wouldn't necessarily fix this (but it might help).

didn't we already have something like this with VS guns having unique falloff but it got changed because of complaints? I forget if that was a needed change or a forumside-demanded one though.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Blasmeister posted:

didn't we already have something like this with VS guns having unique falloff but it got changed because of complaints? I forget if that was a needed change or a forumside-demanded one though.
Yes. It used to be that VS guns would continue to drop off from 8m to 100m (or 200m? I forget). At 100m their damage would be noticeably lower than TR/NC guns, but the damage would drop off noticeably less quickly and would do more damage in the 15-45m range. The Phantom/Spectre semi-auto sniper rifles are the only VS guns that still follow this damage model; between 20m and 100m it has better DPS than the TR/NC equivalents, and an equivalent or slightly better TTK in that same range. I don't know how that manifested in automatics though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

hailthefish posted:

The Logitech Gaming Software is shite, but you can make it work with SetPoint still, and it might still come with SetPoint on the disk.

The G500 has onboard memory so you can save all your macros etc to the mouse itself then uninstall the lovely software.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Nakar posted:

Remove fall off, only short reloads, overheat mechanic and so much more. You want unique guns to flesh out the selection that literally feels like its just the same goddamn gun? make every gun have its unique thing. Make the CME like the phaseshift, make the pulsar only have short reloads, give the terminus no fall off.

This would require SOE to put effort into their game so nope never going to happen--they'll just eventually release a super unbalanced gun for the VS when complaining reaches a peak.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Arghy posted:

Remove fall off, only short reloads, overheat mechanic and so much more. You want unique guns to flesh out the selection that literally feels like its just the same goddamn gun? make every gun have its unique thing. Make the CME like the phaseshift, make the pulsar only have short reloads, give the terminus no fall off.

This would require SOE to put effort into their game so nope never going to happen--they'll just eventually release a super unbalanced gun for the VS when complaining reaches a peak.

Just stop posting, you've gone full Arghy on this topic.

e: Arghy 2: Argh Harder.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Arghy posted:

Arghy never change you own.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

A Tartan Tory posted:

We do have the Pulsar C and the Orion which are pretty much loving insane though, so I guess I can forgive the piddly little popgun Assault Rifles that are so bad the NS rifle is our best option. :allears: We also have the best Sniper Rifle and the best Semi-Auto rifle as well so we can't complain even if the rest of our guns are poo poo.

Boring, linear, but effective.

The VS way.

What's the best sniper rifle? The parallax or whatever? What's the best semi auto rifle?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mortimer posted:

What's the best sniper rifle? The parallax or whatever? What's the best semi auto rifle?
The Nyx/Eidolon and the semi-auto snipers actually all have no bullet drop, and on semi-automatic rifles that's actually vaguely useful.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Arghy posted:

Arghtorias of the Abyss

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

It seems like the people who complain the most about this game have played more hours than some of the developers have probably put into working on it. Maybe if you guys were as good as Malorn you could actually do something about it.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Mortimer posted:

Ghost with a 3.4x

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Arghtorias of the Abyss

:golfclap:
Dark Spergs is canon

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Sir_Charles posted:

It seems like the people who complain the most about this game have played more hours than some of the developers have probably put into working on it. Maybe if you guys were as good as Malorn you could actually do something about it.

What a great post, thanks for your insight man.

I still find the way that they're floating this resource booster / nanite booster thing a little odd. They just got done with the implants, are they that desperate for more money? Are they trying to get as much poo poo in as possible before the PS4 launch?

Clearly there's some kind of renewed focus on monetization with PS2. On the one hand they spent a bunch of marketing cash around the release of Hossin and the Steam Summer Sale, on the other hand they seem to be really intent on adding more revenue into the game to "increase investment."

So if I read between the lines, they're willing to take the game off maintenance mode and start staffing the team properly (2 new headcount just recently), but only if they can show potential future revenue growth that would scale with the increase in subscribers?

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I don't understand why they're adding the resource boosters except to take advantage of people who don't already subscribe. I did have a subscription for a while, and I never, ever, EVER ran into issues with resources from the sub-boosts... Even when being incredibly liberal with dumping double C4 bricks on tanks every single respawn.
I guess I don't feel like that is going to change for the worse irt subscriber benefits.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Erata posted:

I don't understand why they're adding the resource boosters except to take advantage of people who don't already subscribe. I did have a subscription for a while, and I never, ever, EVER ran into issues with resources from the sub-boosts... Even when being incredibly liberal with dumping double C4 bricks on tanks every single respawn.

What I'm talking about is the changes coming with the upcoming resource revamp. You won't be able to stockpile consumables, there's a single resource called nanites, and it will go up to 900 instead of the current cap.

So using the current values from test, after throwing 15 Nades you will be out of Nanites. At that point you can wait 15 minutes (it's 60 nanites per tick, maybe less if you are subbed?) _or_ they are considering letting you buy nanite boosters which would restore your nanites the way implant chargers do.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Rakthar posted:

So if I read between the lines, they're willing to take the game off maintenance mode and start staffing the team properly (2 new headcount just recently), but only if they can show potential future revenue growth that would scale with the increase in subscribers?

Yes? They're still a business after all.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

BadLlama posted:

Yes? They're still a business after all.

There are better ways to do that than this idea for the change to the nanites.

They can take advantage of their existing customer base by offering us what we've been asking for. The most obvious things being more content like maps and bases, bug fixes, performance upgrades, etc. But they've been mucking about on about like name changes, sex changes, character transfers, and more. People in every MMO love playing dress-up with their characters, and if they would open up more of the Player's Studio and expand the options available, people would spend shittons more money. Every few months I fire up Rift or SWTOR, and that's one of the biggest things that's going on in those games. When you add in the potential to customize your vehicles with lumifiber, chrome, horns, and decals, that's a lot of ways for people to spend money.

They can get new players (and draw back in older ones) by expanding or changing how they do their advertisements. In one of those reddit threads, one of the devs said something like, "It's okay if you don't see ads for Planetside 2, you're not our target audience, you already play the game", which is bullshit. There are plenty of places that they should be advertising that they're not, that myself or any of the other players would come across. For just one (big) example, hundreds of thousands of people fire up Steam every day, yet only a tiny percentage of those play the game. If they were serious about getting new players, they should have more of those "rookie packs" for sale, double-xp weekends, things like that advertised on the main Steam page or the little popups you get. (Now, I'm thinking that with the server merges they've definitely shot themselves in the foot when it comes to something like that, since even if they went through with it they would just bring down all the servers at once).

They finally have a very basic tutorial and VR training in, which is good, but what about some kind of "Newbie-friendly" skirmish training? Something like Battle Islands with 1-2 squads per side, set loadouts that can't be changed, and more voiceover stuff to help new players understand objectives. Make it open to vets so that they can get in and play with the new guys, but also some kind of restriction so that you don't end up with a bunch of vets mercilessly destroying the new players over and over. As much as they've helped new players get into the game, there's still so much more they could be doing, and it kills me to see all these wasted opportunities.

I'm reminded of one of the not-quite :tinfoil: theories regarding Planetside 2, drawing off of others' experiences with PS1: That, much like PS1 was a testbed for Everquest 2, Planetside 2 is a testbed for EQ Next. A sci-fi FPS shooter that's toyed around with before they launch their true focus, the new fantasy MMO. And that once a certain developmental threshold had been passed, Planetside would get tossed aside and completely ignored in favor of pushing EverQuest. I thought we'd reached this point a while ago when they let go / transferred a number of people, and that with Operation Make Game Fast they were just finalizing things before starting to focus on adapting it to EQ specifically. But then we got the lattice and Hossin, so I felt things were going in a better direction. Now with this, I'm not sure what to think.

Edit:

Nakar posted:

I don't think they've really hidden the fact that Planetside 2 is a Forgelight testbed. I mean, it's not a huge shock that this isn't their #1 priority.

No, I get that... But there's a difference between PS2 not being their #1 priority and them just deciding "We've got what we wanted, let's strangle this goose", loading it up with more cash shop poo poo that nobody wants, and milking it for all they can before the game truly dies through lack of player interest. We're obviously not at that point yet, but the way things seem to be heading is troubling.

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 15, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I don't think they've really hidden the fact that Planetside 2 is a Forgelight testbed. I mean, it's not a huge shock that this isn't their #1 priority.

Idles
Dec 31, 2007
Just idling.
With SOE's revenue model, there's a lot of room for them to shift resources around between teams since they share a lot of the same technology. They get a game to a "good enough" point where they're able to keep people interested for a while just adding new content, or even doing nothing. During that timeframe they're able to move engineers to other projects until that second project reaches a similar state. And like we've seen, some aspects of development are transferable between projects (weather, engine bugfixes and improvements). Overall I doubt we'll see PS2 abandoned until its successor arrives, or if they manage to have such poor marketing and user acquisition that the playerbase dies out completely.

That said, they've made some positive steps for new users. The new user survey, while its implementation is a little clunky, gives people a nice chance to get free useful stuff. And I think in that same update they granted new users shotguns and the first rank of a whole bunch of cert lines, to open up more avenues of gameplay to new players. They could obviously take more steps in this direction and it would probably be a positive improvement for the new player onboarding process.

I'd like to see them give all new users the lock-on anti-air missile launcher. I play air a fair bit and always feel guilty when stomping new people at small fights with my ESF; more lock ons would definitely dissuade that kind of play. For most smart players that's one of the first big cert purchases they make, so I don't buy any arguments about it destroying the air game. They also really really need to tie the tutorial together with the mission system. Don't just dump people at the "Instant Action! Have fun!" step. They need to include some kind of tutorial instructions about what certs are, how you get them, and ideas for smart first purchases to make people feel like they're progressing. Use highly-specific missions to guide new players once they're out of the tutorial area. Introduce them to gameplay aspects that aren't as brutally challenging as infantry play can be. Give them missions to redeploy away from locations where they're getting farmed as they run out of the spawn room. Lots of things are totally non-intuitive, but we've learned from reading threads or playing for long periods of time. Only small fractions of any game's player base ever consult external websites about the game or post on forums. SOE hire me to do contract game design pls.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Eonwe posted:

By the way, I know you guys don't 'do' reddit for the most part, but you should chime in here. The thread is to kind of display displeasure at the idea to allow people to purchase nanites for station cash and (more importantly) providing other ideas for SOE revenue. The devs do actually seem to read and listen to what the PS2 subreddit says, so post if you can be bothered.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2aq0rw/soe_is_thinking_of_adding_a_way_to_pay_real_money/

I think the thing that bugs me the most about it is that I feel like that kind of thing should be kept to cell phone games. It reminds me of buying extra energy in like Candy Crush or something.

It's really sad the dumb poo poo they're trying to sell us instead of what we've been Goddamn asking for. Where's more MAX helmets? Where's more infantry and vehicle armor? Where's more lumifiber colors? I get that name changes are very low sellers in their other games. Give subscribers a unique camo, maybe a black one, and a title. Push incentive to being a subscriber. Show it off and make people want to subscribe. When you stabbed people in BF3 you stabbed them with your milsperg-rich knife and they knew they had to upgrade now. If you get killed by a subber in PS2 with a sick camo you can wear. Their art department is dropping the ball. They could stand to make helmets cheaper. Imagine if we had helmets at a reduced price and then a rotator or "random helmet" button. I know a few people who would do this. I've literally been waiting on blue lumifiber for the Vanguard, Harasser, Flash, Liberator... and more. It's literally a script change to change the color.

Edit: Another BIG thing is getting people to play with their friends. 666 had an outfit KDR of like 0.7 but they made SOE several hundred thousand. Why? They had fun! Why do you think GOKU's megahigby score is so high? We enjoy playing the game because we play together, and are apt to invest money. I have friends on Connery who are AWFUL at the game, but you know what? They play with friends and they have fun, and in turn a lot of them buy station cash. SOE needs to be encouraging finding groups to play with, like big time.

Arghy posted:

It's like EliteEskimo but replace Prowlers with VS guns.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 16, 2014

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I never said it was the best thing they should be doing, only they are a business in it to make money so trying to find new ways to monetize their game is not surprising at all. It's also SOE so of course they are not going to do things right.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Westy543 posted:

It's really sad the dumb poo poo they're trying to sell us instead of what we've been Goddamn asking for.

gently caress that how about just fixing the bugs. Some of them really can't be that hard. I had to play for an hour last night with the rocket launcher ADS bug when none of the normal fixes worked. Had to log off in the middle of an alert earlier this week to fix the ammo deploy bug. Self-revive nade bug. Wrong deploy location, cross-continent deploy locations, map deploy resets. Undead maxes and ghost players. Not to mention the bigger stuff like "I slept through my simulations and realtime systems classes" framerate-gated input and fire rates, cross-continent decoration mesh persistence and leaks, and crashes, crashes, crashes. And, of course, the cheating. These have kept me from even considering spending money on the game and have chased away anyone I've recommended it to.

It's improved a lot in the past year but it's still far from a AAA MMO much less a competitive FPS.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

They could definitely do with getting vehicle cosmetics and helmets down to reasonable prices. They've hit a good spot with camos now they've bundled them as an all-type thing and on-sale they're very tempting even when they're not cross-faction.

I don't think I've bought a helmet/cosmetic that wasn't a 1sc/99sc special, while I've picked up a good dozen camos

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Westy543 posted:

It's really sad the dumb poo poo they're trying to sell us instead of what we've been Goddamn asking for. Where's more MAX helmets? Where's more infantry and vehicle armor? Where's more lumifiber colors? I get that name changes are very low sellers in their other games. Give subscribers a unique camo, maybe a black one, and a title. Push incentive to being a subscriber. Show it off and make people want to subscribe. When you stabbed people in BF3 you stabbed them with your milsperg-rich knife and they knew they had to upgrade now. If you get killed by a subber in PS2 with a sick camo you can wear. Their art department is dropping the ball. They could stand to make helmets cheaper. Imagine if we had helmets at a reduced price and then a rotator or "random helmet" button. I know a few people who would do this. I've literally been waiting on blue lumifiber for the Vanguard, Harasser, Flash, Liberator... and more. It's literally a script change to change the color.

They now have 3 big MMOs in development, which seems like a very overambitious task even for a company that only makes these types of games. That suggests to me PS2 has a miniscule art department or a very small amount of whoever has the job of making all that stuff you listed.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
What about gifting camos/weapons? Seems like a brand new revenue stream that would require little to no effort. I know a few outfit leads that would be all over this. It's not pay to win and it doesn't infringe on anybody else's fun.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The reason they're looking at obnoxiously pay-to-win stuff instead of nice optional cosmetics-related side dishes is because frustration is a huge incentive to get people to open their wallets. People who like the game and want to contribute will be all over the dumb cosmetic stuff while most players won't care, but everyone with a credit card will be sorely tempted every time they run out of nanites for nades and a window appears telling them that they can spend real money to get that NOW.

There's a quote from some soulless EA vampire about "If you run out of ammo after playing for six hours you won't be very price-sensitive at that point" which seems somewhat relevant.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Is Planetside broken? The launcher won't load for me for some reason.

e: 293 files failed to validate and will be reacquired? Ok then.

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 16, 2014

mag
Feb 9, 2007

fuck this

i'm out
Your launcher is on cool-down, if you pay $3.95, you can reset the timer and play now.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

Is Planetside broken? The launcher won't load for me for some reason.

e: 293 files failed to validate and will be reacquired? Ok then.

Same thing here kinda. My launcher just says: "ERROR Unknown Error" and refuses to load...just a black screen.

The game worked just fine yesterday and always has.

edit: I can't access the planetside website either. Every other website works just fine.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Black Dynamite posted:

Same thing here kinda. My launcher just says: "ERROR Unknown Error" and refuses to load...just a black screen.

The game worked just fine yesterday and always has.

edit: I can't access the planetside website either. Every other website works just fine.

That was exactly what my error was, validating my install through Steam has it downloading 10.2 GB of whatever to fix it. I guess they broke the nameservers or something this morning? Oh well.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
They failed to renew their domain name registration or something like that and the fix hasn't reached everyone yet so not everyone can get in. Look here for a way to fix it http://dk.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2as9a6/psa_workaround_for_soe_dns_snafu_if_you_cant_use/

Also, :siren: never validate the game through Steam :siren:, it will always download the entire game again. If you have to, use the validation function built into the launcher by clicking the gear icon in the lower left corner.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
You're stuck letting it finish once you let it start, aren't you.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

NeurosisHead posted:

You're stuck letting it finish once you let it start, aren't you.

Yup. Have fun.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

God drat it time to clean the house I guess

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Dear Higby, do you see what's wrong with this picture?

Why does my NC not have a golden codpiece?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

You know what would make a GREAT way to make money for SOE? Put the Valkyrie on Early Access, $60 to get access to pull it for the next 3 months until it's released to everyone!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Maybe the answer to the air meta is give the valkyrie super good lock on A2A missiles that 1 shot ESFs. Problem solved?

Also give them to libs and galaxies. ESFs are unbalanceable garbage.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Why does my NC not have a golden codpiece?

420 smoke sc erryday

Mortimer posted:

Maybe the answer to the air meta is give the valkyrie super good lock on A2A missiles that 1 shot ESFs. Problem solved?

Also give them to libs and galaxies. ESFs are unbalanceable garbage.

ESFs are the most balanced cross-faction of the faction specific vehicles, and are the most balanced air vehicle.
Their balance is only boned by the fact that they have two weapons and can shoot infantry (with anything other than a dedicated AI nosegun, which should be bad at anything else)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Yes you don't have a membership. Apply today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

Westy543 posted:

Give subscribers a unique camo, maybe a black one, and a title. Push incentive to being a subscriber. Show it off and make people want to subscribe. When you stabbed people in BF3 you stabbed them with your milsperg-rich knife and they knew they had to upgrade now. If you get killed by a subber in PS2 with a sick camo you can wear. Their art department is dropping the ball.

In all fairness this is already a thing. Digital Dark is in the premium only section of the store.

• Locked thread