Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah Maro's complaining about an insect being off-color just falls flat every time someone mentions Delver.

And blue definitely shouldn't be getting exile or destroy effects, unless they're a polymorph style effect. (It also should be forced to share exile on the stack, but they're so reluctant to do that)
White and Black tier shades, but white usually gifts it via enchantments (Blessing et al?) or other cards, or pays for permanent +1/+1 counters, so to speak. White usually gets specific toughness pumping as well.

Delver was originally green and triggered off of creatures, and I think it was development that changed it to blue and spells. But mad scientist that experiments on himself and turns himself into an insect monster is pretty blue, especially on Innistrad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

But is Hornet Cannon canon? :confused:

If I were a betting man I would say that was the joke.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Elyv posted:

There are way too many color rules to break all of them in a single small set.

Did any non-blue colors even get a hard counter?

Rebuff the wicked in white, but it was narrowly focused.

It was almost a color shifted avoid fate, but its still better.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Yeah, Delver is blue as hell. He's a mad scientist whose own sense of experimentation gets the better of him, archetypal blue story.
Now Insectile Aberration, that is not a blue creature. It doesn't change itself (it's the final 'stage'), and between Flying and the 3/2, it's more red/black than anything. It doesn't make a significant difference mechanically, I'll admit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey one last stupid new person question. What's up with the 'deck builder toolkit' things, are they like giant randomized boosters with a brick of lands or are they preset and I can check the list to see if they're of any use to me? I'm kinda more a casual/collector type so I don't mind a box of mostly meh stuff but I'd ideally like to build my own deck that's useful from the thing called deck builder toolkit!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Off topic, but whats the thoughts on the new torpor orb creature? Is that looking like a wise card to pick up a playset of while it's still cheap? Seems like it's begging for use in the older formats.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hey one last stupid new person question. What's up with the 'deck builder toolkit' things, are they like giant randomized boosters with a brick of lands or are they preset and I can check the list to see if they're of any use to me? I'm kinda more a casual/collector type so I don't mind a box of mostly meh stuff but I'd ideally like to build my own deck that's useful from the thing called deck builder toolkit!

I've heard it's pretty good precisely for making your own deck from it, but I'm not sure if it's all preset and how random it is. I think that in M15 there's some cards you can only get in the toolbox, but I'm not sure on that.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Someone posted ashling in the DotP thread. Why does it force a sacrifice? Is there a "sacrifice matters" theme in Shadowmoor I wasn't aware of until just now?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The block dedicated to gods didn't reprint Wrath of God or Damnation.

They didn't just drop the ball, they threw it full force into the ground :smith:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Off topic, but whats the thoughts on the new torpor orb creature? Is that looking like a wise card to pick up a playset of while it's still cheap? Seems like it's begging for use in the older formats.

Torpor Orb gets worse when it can be Pathed, Bolted, Dismembered, etc. Its price has only been going down; it started at $6/ea and now you can snag a playset for $10. It'll never be bulk, especially since it has flash, and it's solid against Pod (substantially less solid against Twin as the pros keep pointing out), but "Torpor Orb on a body" is closer to a disadvantage than people realize.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Mortimer posted:

They didn't just drop the ball, they threw it full force into the ground :smith:

They have the no regen clause which they are moving away from. Except for that one black removal spell in M15 for some reason.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Boxman posted:

Someone posted ashling in the DotP thread. Why does it force a sacrifice? Is there a "sacrifice matters" theme in Shadowmoor I wasn't aware of until just now?

Possibly to get around indestructible effects and the like? Not very familiar with Shadowmoor to be honest, sorry.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Serperoth posted:

Possibly to get around indestructible effects and the like? Not very familiar with Shadowmoor to be honest, sorry.

Indestructible and regenerate make sense and I temporarily forgot they exist. Thanks!

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Mortimer posted:

Hey, we're still getting a Heliod themed Wrath of God in FTV:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Hey, we're still getting a Heliod themed Wrath of God in FTV:

Erebos themed Damnation would be cool.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Serperoth posted:

e: nm I can't read

vOv fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 16, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

PrinnySquadron posted:

They have the no regen clause which they are moving away from. Except for that one black removal spell in M15 for some reason.
"Except when they're printing it at common in major sets" sure sounds like phasing out to me!

It was never that common an ability to begin with.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cernunnos posted:

You already have something much cooler and much more flavorful.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

You already have something much cooler and much more flavorful.

Much cooler and much more flavorful but objectively worse in many ways

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

vOv posted:

Also, the fact that the choice happens on resolution means that if they bounce their biggest dude you can just pick a different one.

You still choose the target creature when the ability is put on the stack, which gives them a chance to bounce.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

It was never that common an ability to begin with.

What are you talking about? It was so common that it had its own pseudo-keyword in "Bury". The two most iconic creature destruction spells (Wrath of God and Terror) both had the no regeneration rider and were in print constantly alongside spells like Incinerate and others for years until they started phasing it out with NWO in order to make regeneration a useful ability.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Nibble posted:

You still choose the target creature when the ability is put on the stack, which gives them a chance to bounce.

Oh, yeah, the effect does still target.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Boxman posted:

Indestructible and regenerate make sense and I temporarily forgot they exist. Thanks!

Honestly, that seems a little narrow for that era of Wizards, especially since there wasn't much indestructible/regeneration right then, iirc. Since this is on a legend my guess is that R&D/Creative felt it was more flavorful that way(I'm actually somewhat familiar with Lorwyn's story, but I don't remember much about Ashling.)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Cernunnos posted:

It'd be neat, but there's no way it would be cooler than OG Damnation.

The original printing is just... perfect. There's no topping it.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If what you want is a pile of random M15 cards, it is the best value.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Hornet Queen is pretty hilarious with convoke. Was watching an SCG VS video. Had a D-sphere come down targeting the tokens, in response Convoked Chord of Calling in response to grab Reclamation Sage to kill another D-sphere or something.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Big green could, and anything that uses generator servant and shrapnel blast. Tossing around an idea for a b/r deck that uses those and rescue from the underworld to maximize scuttle value.

I'm going to be doing some work with Life's Legacy as well.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Oh yeah, in general how long are PTQ's? Are they just as long as Grand Prix's?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You get land, playsets of various staples, randomized sets of thematically similar cards, and boosters from recent sets

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dragon enthusiast posted:

You get land, playsets of various staples, randomized sets of thematically similar cards, and boosters from recent sets

Nifty, exactly what I was hoping for.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

neetengie posted:

Oh yeah, in general how long are PTQ's? Are they just as long as Grand Prix's?

Sometimes longer than Day 1. If you're over 128 people you're looking at 8 rounds of swiss followed by Top 8 all in one day, hence the recommendations of find food/water.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

Sometimes longer than Day 1. If you're over 128 people you're looking at 8 rounds of swiss followed by Top 8 all in one day, hence the recommendations of find food/water.
Ah, alright. Thanks, doesn't sound too bad.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
http://www.twitch.tv/randybuehler

Randy Buehler is streaming vintage if anyone is interested.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Bugsy posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/randybuehler

Randy Buehler is streaming vintage if anyone is interested.
Got rekt by Quasali Pridemage. He's playing Burning Oath if anyone wants to know.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

AnacondaHL posted:

Come to Seattle where our ptq's are > 256 people. Start a bit late, sealed pool registration, deckbuilding, 9 rounds, then a top 8 draft, more deckbuilding, then 3 more rounds. Good luck!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Come to Seattle where our ptq's are > 256 people. Start a bit late, sealed pool registration, deckbuilding, 9 rounds, then a top 8 draft, more deckbuilding, then 3 more rounds. Good luck!

Which is why I like to cube with booze, har.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Does the MODO cube start back up today?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Nissa is 32.50 TCG Low. lol

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Nissa is 32.50 TCG Low. lol

So, what's the historical stable cost for a widely played core set 'walker? 30 is about the maximum for an expert expansion, right (looking at historical trends for Jace, Elspeth, and Domri)? Obviously there's some pre-release shenanigans happening here, but even if we assume she's format defining, surely we aren't talking a lot more expensive than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Boxman posted:

So, what's the historical stable cost for a widely played core set 'walker? 30 is about the maximum for an expert expansion, right (looking at historical trends for Jace, Elspeth, and Domri)? Obviously there's some pre-release shenanigans happening here, but even if we assume she's format defining, surely we aren't talking a lot more expensive than this.

Didn't Domri spike around 30 and stabilize around 25? Elspeth has hovered around 20 and Jace AOT was around 18 when it was seeing the most play. I don't think this price is close to sustainable.

• Locked thread