Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CapnAndy posted:

I remember reading as a kid that there were three characters that literally everyone in the world knew -- Superman, Mickey Mouse, and I don't remember the third. Apparently if they'd had any contact at all with the rest of the world, there was simply no way to not know who those three characters were.

This is something I only barely remember reading when I was, like, eight though, so take it with a grain of salt.

It's an idea that comes up every once in a while. Kinky Friedman wrote a book titled "Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola", on the idea that those were the three things everybody was aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Borderlands: The Fall of Fyrestone #1

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

MikeJF posted:

Spider-man's ultimate secret: really, he just wears a cup and the rest is body paint.

Oh no, Green Goblin is attacking this press event I'm attending! I'll just pretend to trip, crawl away, and spend a few hours getting painted so I can fight him off!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
"Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot. I must find a symbol, to strike fear into their hearts. Yes, uncle. I shall become... a raver."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sefer posted:

Oh no, Green Goblin is attacking this press event I'm attending! I'll just pretend to trip, crawl away, and spend a few hours getting painted so I can fight him off!

Obviously he puts all the paint in his ring when it's not in use. It's like you've never read the comic.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Obviously he puts all the paint in his ring when it's not in use. It's like you've never read the comic.
No he just has these set up all over New York.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwDPb3T8bOQ&t=122s

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm re-reading Ultimate Spider-Man right now.

Ultimate Spider-Man #120.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

That was Hercules, which makes it even funnier.

Which lead to hilarity in Incredible Hercules.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Mikl posted:

I'm re-reading Ultimate Spider-Man right now.

Ultimate Spider-Man #120.

What.... what did Blob want to ask him?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Sockser posted:

What.... what did Blob want to ask him?

Next page's not funny so I didn't post it, but basically he wants his girlfriend and their daughter to be brought there to live with him. Magneto's all "Nope, no humans allowed," so then Blob says "At least keep an eye on my kid, if it turns out she's a mutant too bring her back here."

The kid, by the way, is Ultimate Liz Allan, A.K.A. Ultimate Firestar.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 15, 2014

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Random Stranger posted:

Not I'm thinking of all those other guys who lasted less than six issues from DC in the 70's. You can't get much worse than The Green Team.

(First Issue Special #2)

How long did that New 52 reboot last anyway? Reviewers seemed to sound pleasantly surprised by it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

404GoonNotFound posted:

How long did that New 52 reboot last anyway? Reviewers seemed to sound pleasantly surprised by it.

I checked it out and the entire plotline was just disgustingly rich yuppies congratulating themselves on being job creators. It was like reading Mitt Romney's diary.

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

Numero6 posted:

Uncanny X-Men #178

My issue with this panel is that Wolverine is supposed to weigh in the neighborhood of 300-400 lbs. How is Storm able to carry him????

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

dandaman posted:

My issue with this panel is that Wolverine is supposed to weigh in the neighborhood of 300-400 lbs. How is Storm able to carry him????

Not according to this trading card:

Source: Marvel Trading Cards, first series

laz0rbeak fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 16, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

How the hell do I weigh more than Wolverine?

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

mind the walrus posted:

Are you a victim of brutally effective Hostess Fruit Pies marketing?

Majuju fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 16, 2014

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

dandaman posted:

She lets the wind do most of the work for her. It's how she can carry anyone.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Dude is pretty short, would guess average weight for that height + muscles is 130-140ish. Tack on some pounds for adamantium and you got 190. Is adamantium supposed to be light or heavy?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Dude is pretty short, would guess average weight for that height + muscles is 130-140ish. Tack on some pounds for adamantium and you got 190. Is adamantium supposed to be light or heavy?

It's been depicted as both.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

dandaman posted:

Localized earthquakes.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Edit: No longer relevant.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

smashpro1 posted:

Borderlands: The Fall of Fyrestone #1

The funny thing is that Claptrap has one of those voices you can automatically read the words inside of your head in his voice like Gilbert Gottfried, Morgan Freeman, and Long John Baldry.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Random Stranger posted:

That's not really a zig zag. Wolverine weighs three hundred pounds and Storm was really wobbly getting into the air.

You are going to freak out when you run into Brother Power.

Not I'm thinking of all those other guys who lasted less than six issues from DC in the 70's. You can't get much worse than The Green Team.

(First Issue Special #2)

This is actually from Ambush Bug #3, not their original appearance in the 70s.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

FoneBone posted:

This is actually from Ambush Bug #3, not their original appearance in the 70s.

I was going to say, "gee, that looks a lot like Keith Giffen."

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

It's been depicted as both.

Comic book depictions are fun.

For example, here is Scott "Slim" Summers during X-tinction Agenda

X-Factor #60

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kalli posted:

Comic book depictions are fun.

For example, here is Scott "Slim" Summers during X-tinction Agenda

X-Factor #60

I know their powers don't affect each other, and they know that, so why bother using them during a fight?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

prefect posted:

I know their powers don't affect each other, and they know that, so why bother using them during a fight?

Looks cool.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

prefect posted:

Alex was brainwashed/had amnesia at the time and was working for the Genoshian government.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

prefect posted:

They're brothers after all, it's probably the mutant equivalent of two siblings poking each other on the elbow during a long car ride. "Daaaaad, Scott won't stop blaaaaasting me with extradimensional beaaaaams." "Cut it out or I'm turning this spaceship around, young man."

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

prefect posted:

Alex doesn't know that, he was brainwashed after going through the Siege Perilous.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

prefect posted:

Honestly, why not? If you're cyclops, it's probably more effort not shooting lasers.

Which reminds me, how has cyclops not solved the world's energy problems with his INFINITE KINETIC ENERGY thing? Surely you could just have him stare at some kind of turbine all day?

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

ImpAtom posted:

Looks cool.

Is that also why they've ripped their clothes off?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alopex posted:

Is that also why they've ripped their clothes off?

That's just a little somethin' somethin' for the lay-dees.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Ignite Memories posted:

Honestly, why not? If you're cyclops, it's probably more effort not shooting lasers.

Which reminds me, how has cyclops not solved the world's energy problems with his INFINITE KINETIC ENERGY thing? Surely you could just have him stare at some kind of turbine all day?

I thought doing it too long drained him or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

John Dyne posted:

I thought doing it too long drained him or something.

No, Cyclops is never technically not shooting lasers. He's just immune to his own lasers and Ruby Qartz blocks/reflects it. I think some things have established the visor 'tricks his brain into thinking he's already firing' but there are enemies who used ruby quartz as a defense against Cyclops so...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

laz0rbeak posted:

Alex doesn't know that, he was brainwashed after going through the Siege Perilous.

Yep, luckily there's an easy way to break brainwashing:

(Same issue)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Archyduke posted:

extradimensional beaaaaams

ImpAtom posted:

shooting lasers. lasers
They're solar charged energy beams :argh:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ignite Memories posted:

I've always wondered why Reed Richards isn't doing that. Just set up a room and have Cyclops come in and spend some goggles-off time, and when Scott has something else to do Storm can come in and zap the apparatus with lightning, or the Thing can pound on the walls for a while to work off stress, and so on, and so forth.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I've always wondered why Reed Richards isn't doing that. Just set up a room and have Cyclops come in and spend some goggles-off time, and when Scott has something else to do Storm can come in and zap the apparatus with lightning, or the Thing can pound on the walls for a while to work off stress, and so on, and so forth.

He could even presumably build something into the goggles themselves, since presumably he's shooting stuff into them whenever he's not in the act of blinking, or asleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

No, Cyclops is never technically not shooting lasers. He's just immune to his own lasers and Ruby Qartz blocks/reflects it. I think some things have established the visor 'tricks his brain into thinking he's already firing' but there are enemies who used ruby quartz as a defense against Cyclops so...

There was that one time (I think in the X-Factor "Fall of the Mutants" tie-in issues) where Cameron Hodge attacks him wearing this really dorky-looking Lego suit of ruby quartz armour.

• Locked thread