Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm posting this here in hopes the deadline motivates me to convert the tape: On Thursday at 8 PM I will be showing WCW on QVC in PSP.tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

John Cena posted:

wwe wcw and ecw all employed a pair of twins who were openly neo nazis and only ecw fired them after discovering that fact

WWF told Ludvig Borga just to cover up his Nazi tattoo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
For those of you who missed it last night, here's Big Sexy's goodbye to Arn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgE2XD8w0Vc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rqS3E483vw

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

MassRafTer posted:

I'm posting this here in hopes the deadline motivates me to convert the tape: On Thursday at 8 PM I will be showing WCW on QVC in PSP.tv.

drat I'm going to miss this greatness

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Claytor posted:

Both. Story I've heard is that he thought it was funny in the moment, then became angry when he saw how much it upset his wife.

On the Legends roundtable, Bischoff admitted that was the thing he was most ashamed of during his run in WCW, that it wasn't funny and it was needlessly mean-spirited. It's probably one of the only decent things Bischoff has done.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

ayn rand hand job posted:

For those of you who missed it last night, here's Big Sexy's goodbye to Arn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgE2XD8w0Vc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rqS3E483vw

For real, the best moment in the history of are sport.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DrVenkman posted:

On the Legends roundtable, Bischoff admitted that was the thing he was most ashamed of during his run in WCW, that it wasn't funny and it was needlessly mean-spirited. It's probably one of the only decent things Bischoff has done.

It was pretty loving funny.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's happening, tonight at 8 PM: WCW/nWo on QVC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJYQxxRfPN0

Witness history.

http://psp-tv.com/r/badmoviesworsewrestling

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 10, 2014

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
So da Meltz got a question on the latest WO about Harlem Heat's early gimmick of being brought out in shackles. He said that it was Sid's idea.

Bryan also read a question about whose idea was it to turn the Dinner and a Movie guys heel and join them with the nWo. Dave laughed at it and said he didn't know, Bryan regretted not going through the questions before the show.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Beans and cornbread had a fight, but beans knocked cornbread outta sight because nWo is 2 sweet.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I am so mad that I'm going to miss this.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I feel bad for anyone who has to miss this. This is what you are missing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wEjoi61g04

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Big Sexy :love:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
We've determined that as usual I'm right and there is another WCW/nWo on QVC special.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MassRafTer posted:

as usual I'm right

I strenuously object.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

rovert posted:

WWF told Ludvig Borga just to cover up his Nazi tattoo.
Even good old J.R couldn't think of anything nice to say about Halme after blew his head off.

Jim Ross posted:

I won't speak at length about those that have passed away but Tony obviously had issues and was not a great guy to be around. Perhaps others have a different view of this man but I personally found him to be somewhat obnoxious and he could be a bully if allowed to be such. "Guys like Halme don't mix well in any locker room and need to be removed from the 'team' sooner than later."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
But were his feet educated?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

But were his feet educated?
He's listed among the 50 worst UFC fighters ever, so no.

http://www.cagepotato.com/the-50-worst-fighters-in-ufc-history/

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Meltzer was answering questions on the WCW sale and this story came up, Multichannel News from August of 2001:

quote:

It was only four years ago that World Championship Wrestling produced the top-rated show on basic cable and beat its main rival, the World Wresting Federation, on a weekly basis.
And when World Wrestling Federation Entertainment Inc. acquired WCW from Turner Broadcasting System Inc. in March -- after pounding it into submission in the ratings battle over the last few years -- news reports put the price tag at up to $20 million. That marked a big drop from the reported $75 million that Fusient Media Ventures had offered for WCW during January, in a deal that later fell apart.
As it turns out, the WWF -- which has seen its ratings for fall since it moved to new cable home TNN: The National Network -- only paid a measly $2.5 million for WCW, plus an additional $1.8 million in related costs, the company revealed in a recent earnings report.
That's $4.3 million in total: the same price that Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Gary Sheffield was seeking for his Tampa home, the exact amount it recently cost to build a new air traffic control tower at Central Illinois Regional Airport, or the cost of a couple of Super Bowl commercials.
How did WCW's value fall from a reported $75 million offer to $4.3 million? The $75 million was a bogus number leaked by Turner executives "to save face," a source familiar with the deal said.
In reality, the source said, Fusient's original WCW offer in January was for $10 million, which included a guarantee that it would be allotted 5 percent of the primetime schedule on Turner Network Television and TBS Superstation for WCW programming.
Fusient agreed to pay up to an additional $65 million in seven years if WCW hit certain benchmarks, including increasing the value of the business to $1 billion, the source added.
Fusient later pulled its offer after it reviewed WCW's books, and made a second offer for WCW, which included no up-front money and an agreement to spend $5 million in advertising on properties owned by AOL Time Warner Inc. (Turner's parent company), a source said. Turner ended up taking WWF's offer.
TBS and Fusient executives declined to comment on the offer. All WWF president Stuart Snyder would say about the bargain price WWF paid for its longtime rival was, "It was the right number for both parties, and we've moved on."

That's a pretty good summation of why it sold for so little. The story does miss that the WWF also bought a few million in ads on Turner Networks as part of the deal.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I still remember being really excited at the prospect of someone buying WCW and trying to turn it around. Even Bischoff seemed like an interesting choice, since at the time I wasn't deep into the dirtsheets and just associated him with the golden days of NWO vs WCW.

I always had a soft spot for WCW and wished it wouldn't have gone down the way it did. It feels like TNA has been on life support WAY longer than WCW ever was, why couldn't WCW be the one stretching on for way longer than it should have?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Why isn't Sting in paint?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
QVC Updates:

There are at least 3 other specials, one hosted by Buff, one by Goldberg and the last by THE MAN CALLED STING. Our tape source definitely has the Buff and Sting episodes.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Why isn't Sting in paint?

I wanna say he's mad at Lex Luger for hanging out with Jimmy Hart and it just cost him a match.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MassRafTer posted:

Our tape source definitely has the Buff and Sting episodes.

I've never wanted to see something more in my entire life :allears:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How could you Curt!?

Star ratings since I think someone was asking about them

WCW World Cruiserweight Title: Eddie Guerrero vs. Chris Jericho (c) = ***3/4
The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner) (w/Ted DiBiase) vs. Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray) = *1/4
WCW World Television Title: Alex Wright (c) vs. Ultimo Dragon = ***1/2
Jeff Jarrett (w/Queen Debra) vs. Dean Malenko = ***1/4
Mortis & Wrath (w/James Vandenburg) vs. The Faces Of Fear (Meng & The Barbarian) = *1/4
The Giant vs. Scott Norton = *1/4
No Disqualification Tag Team: Diamond Dallas Page & Lex Luger vs. Randy Savage & Scott Hall (w/Miss Elizabeth) = **
War Games: The nWo (Buff Bagwell, Kevin Nash, Konnan & Syxx) vs. The Four Horsemen (Chris Benoit, Curt Hennig, Ric Flair & Steve McMichael) = **1/2

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I was inspired by Scott Norton vs The Giant to make this tribute to the love of a father for his son.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

How could you Curt!?

Star ratings since I think someone was asking about them

WCW World Cruiserweight Title: Eddie Guerrero vs. Chris Jericho (c) = ***3/4
The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner) (w/Ted DiBiase) vs. Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray) = *1/4
WCW World Television Title: Alex Wright (c) vs. Ultimo Dragon = ***1/2
Jeff Jarrett (w/Queen Debra) vs. Dean Malenko = ***1/4
Mortis & Wrath (w/James Vandenburg) vs. The Faces Of Fear (Meng & The Barbarian) = *1/4
The Giant vs. Scott Norton = *1/4
No Disqualification Tag Team: Diamond Dallas Page & Lex Luger vs. Randy Savage & Scott Hall (w/Miss Elizabeth) = **
War Games: The nWo (Buff Bagwell, Kevin Nash, Konnan & Syxx) vs. The Four Horsemen (Chris Benoit, Curt Hennig, Ric Flair & Steve McMichael) = **1/2

That was a sickening and brazen display of cheating tonight.

Larry Zybysko is not a referee, and he had no business telling the timekeeper to ring the bell in that No DQ tag match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Looks like a throwaway misidentification in an unrelated Observer article is what started the urban legend that Goldberg was one of the guys in the infamous Piper's family angle. From the 5/19/97 Observer

quote:

No major news coming from the Universal tapings in Orlando, FL. Reports were that Lizmark Jr. looked green, but he was never in a situation where he would look good. Black Warrior never showed up. Told that there were a lot of good matches, with people you'd expect against each other, in particular involving Misterio Jr., Dragon, Guerrera and Psicosis, but all lasted 5:00. The James Boys did well as heels doing kind of a southern militia gimmick. They don't try to hide that they're the Armstrongs since they come out to the same music the Armstrongs do and are announced from Marietta, GA. High Voltage is also showing improvement. Yuji Nagata looked okay being put over in squashes. Horace Boulder was in but looked good. Another new guy was Bill Goldberg, a former football player who was the really big bodybuilder looking guy that wasn't picked in the Piper angle with John Tenta. Considering these were his first matches, he was said to have shown a lot of potential. There was some backstage heat between Booker T and Big Al. Al complains a lot about having to do nothing but jobs because he still remembers the pops he got in the ECW Arena.

Big Al is 911.

quote:

While in Japan last week after the Osaka Dome show in a bar after many drinks had been emptied, Bischoff and New Japan referee Massao "Tiger" Hattori ended up betting each other a few hundred dollars that Hattori couldn't take Bischoff down. Hattori, 51, ten years older than Bischoff and probably 50 pounds lighter, was a great wrestler in the Chris Taylor/Dan Gable era. In 1970 while representing the New York Athletic Club (Hattori and Riki Choshu both wrestled for the New York AC before getting into Japanese pro wrestling) the United States AAU Greco-Roman champion at 136 pounds and in 1971 placed fifth in the AAU freestyle championships at the same weight. Anyway, they cleared out the tables in the bar and Bischoff won the bet when Hattori couldn't take him down, which has to rank as a major upset.

quote:

Here's this week's storyline on the womens title. It was announced on television that the title was in dispute because of a legal dispute in the match (which never took place) between Madusa and Akira Hokuto. Not only was Madusa when she showed up at Nitro last week unaware that she had won the title, but mid-week in Japan when the news hit that Hokuto was no longer the champion, when the reporters asked Hokuto about it, she had no idea because nobody had clued her in on the angle either.

quote:

On the 4/19 TBS Saturday show, for some reason there was no commentary during an entire Jeff Jarrett vs. Scotty Riggs match. People were saying it was the best announced match on Saturday in months.

quote:

At one point Kevin Greene was asked to turn heel on Flair and Piper and join the NWO in Charlotte but Greene nixed that angle.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

When was the last time JCP/WCW had to share the NWA champ with another territory before they pulled out in the '90s?

Did it ever happen after they bought Mid-South/UWF? When was the last time the belt was defended in World Class?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

IIRC Chono was the last guy WCW recognized as NWA champ.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

coconono posted:

IIRC Chono was the last guy WCW recognized as NWA champ.

Flair actually according to Wiki, WCW pulled out on September 1st, 1993 and they changed the name to "International World Heavyweight Champion".

I guess Muta and Chono defending it in New Japan would count, but I was really more curious about when the last time it was defended in the US outside of JCP/WCW after they basically took control of it and Mid-South, Florida and Georgia were all bought out by either them or Vince.

EDIT: Since it's a slow day at work might as well do some rudimentary research myself.

According to Cagematch, Flair defended the belt against Brian Pillman at an AWA show in Minneapolis on May 5th, 1990. Anyone know the story behind this?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 17, 2014

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
MRT, was this ever sold on QVC?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Raeg posted:

Jesus. Somebody was paid to come up with this.

Lotus Brony
Feb 21, 2012

by Cowcaster

Raeg posted:

"Missle-firing wolfhead"

There's a wrestling move I don't see used anymore. Was it retired for any particular reason? Or is it Kevin Nash's signature move that no one else is allowed to use?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lotus Brony posted:

"Missle-firing wolfhead"

There's a wrestling move I don't see used anymore. Was it retired for any particular reason? Or is it Kevin Nash's signature move that no one else is allowed to use?

It got dropped from his repertoire early in his career in favor of the Squisher.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

I keep looking at it, it's a true work of art. It is truly too sweet.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

his move is a power bomb so we packaged him with a giant atomic bomb

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

oatgan posted:

his move is a power bomb so we packaged him with a giant atomic bomb

A wolf headed atomic bomb, because he was in the Wolfpac, therefore wolves.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cromulent posted:

Flair's Hasbro figure had that awful headlock/punch thing, making it (even more) clunky and unrealistic to put on matches using his figure.

Halloween Jack posted:

Ric Flair, with Flare Snare!

Ric Flare, with Flair Snare!

Ric Flair, with Flair Snair!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Before reading the wolf description, I honestly thought it was some obscure reference to Splinter in TMNT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Lotus Brony posted:

"Missle-firing wolfhead"

Someone played too much Final Fantasy.