Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

taco_fox posted:

flat, low contrast UI design is loving terrible and gently caress anyone who thinks otherwise

bring back hotdog theme satin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

thing is communism can almost work. minus communists

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

thing is metro can almost work. minus metro apps, or have desktop/metro as one with a button to switch?

the start button does this now kind of but yeah the two interfaces either need to be unified or reduced to one in a mostly-irrevocable gently caress you kind of way, like what windows 95 did to the cli

babby clown no-feature garbage UIs work great on the phones that inspired metro ui but on the desktop there is literally zero reason for it, just like there's no reason for a metro program to monopolize the entire screen when i launch it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

infernal machines posted:

meh, in practice they actually work pretty well in terms of at a glance info and ease of access to commonly used apps/tasks. it's customizable enough to be useful (size and location, with detail based on widget size) without being android levels of loving retarded

it's not mindblowing or anything but it's the best widget implementation i've used

yeah, just to clarify, i'm talking about winPho here. metro has no place on the desktop and only barely works on a tablet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

glance info only works if the data is glanceable and most isn't

weather: sure
missed call: maybe
text: only if it's short
your next meeting: only if the name is short
email: a loving joke every time I've seen it used IRL it's like 3 lines of RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:project status

so it's really good for weather and bad for literally everything else

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

im still utterly baffled that they decided to ignore the beta outcry and shove the start screen down desktop users' throats, only to turn around and backtrack after the damage was already done

they shitcanned the guy who gave us the gift of metro. they backtracked after they canned him

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they shitcanned the guy who gave us the gift of metro. they backtracked after they canned him

strangely the 20 levels of managers including ballmer who pinned their whole company's future on it seem to still be around

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

email: a loving joke every time I've seen it used IRL it's like 3 lines of RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:project status

i apparently get different emails than you. of course you could always change the tile to square so that it only shows the number of unread messages.

i mean, i have an iphone now, but i used winPho for two years before that (since launch). it had problems for sure, but metro basically did what they intended it to do

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

qirex posted:

and the weather app's live tile status still breaks and freezes on an old status until you open the app again. sometimes it breaks and only displays the icon.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

qirex posted:

mine seem fairly good
Amazon - your dildo has shipped
Work - Extra feature requests?
Dad - Did you start a business yet?

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
i watched a build talk on desktop apps and their solution for vector graphics was using fonts and html
touchpad multitouch stuff can either use the built-in mouse emulation (lovely scrolling, terrible stepped zooming) or, "tell windows you'll handle all touchpad stuff in app"
tyoo(dark)l 2014
i mean it's like they're treating their most important env the same way apple treats itunes for windows

AtomD fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 16, 2014

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

strangely the 20 levels of managers including ballmer who pinned their whole company's future on it seem to still be around

the problem here is obvious: needed 21 managers

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

AtomD posted:

i watched a build talk on desktop apps and their solution for vector graphics was using fonts and html
touchpad multitouch stuff can either use the built-in mouse emulation (lovely scrolling, terrible stepped zooming) or, "tell windows you'll handle all touchpad stuff in app"
tyoo(dark)l 2014
i mean it's like they're treating their most important env the same way apple treats itunes for windows

holy poo poo even native win8 doesn't have proper multitouch and smooth scrolling? really?? the platform made specifically for touch and then crammed into the desktop doesn't natively support touch?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

holy poo poo even native win8 doesn't have proper multitouch and smooth scrolling? really?? the platform made specifically for touch and then crammed into the desktop doesn't natively support touch?

uh

it's still running windows~

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

it does for touch screens but not for touchpads apparently. the screen multitouch works better than any apple device i've ever used even if full screen multitouch is pointless.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also vector graphics are the primary source of icons and symbols and stuff in xaml

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

Ballmer was fired and the new guy is cleaning house

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol if you think all surface 'design' and 'implementation' was not a complete and total bureaucratic slamjob

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shaggar posted:

it does for touch screens but not for touchpads apparently.

yea but why? it's already treating touchpads like touchscreens in the dumb ways like swiping touchpads to bring up the charm bar. why not fix a major drawback to windows touchpads?

I'm thinking the answer is to maintain compatibility with poo poo-tier touchpads that cheapo manufacturers will put in win8 netbooks, but it's still mind-boggling

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

yeah i wouldnt be surprised if garbage trackpads interpret two finger scrolling internally and pass a scrollwheel command to the os instead of just sending the touch point data and letting the os not totally gently caress it up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

w8 (and server 2012/r2 lol) throw some pretty hilarious errors in the event log when they decide that your mouse device input is in fact a touch input, like when using RDP for example.

whole bunch of unexpected vector blah blah errors spam the log

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

used a Lenovo idea pad for a bit. worked ok. much better trackpad than x1 carbon and yoga. Edge doesn't catch on your finger or fly around when you just want to click.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

used a Lenovo idea pad for a bit. worked ok. much better trackpad than x1 carbon and yoga. Edge doesn't catch on your finger or fly around when you just want to click.

the x1 touchpad is okay once you do some configuration and turn off bullshit gestures and poo poo

or just use an external mouse

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

MeruFM posted:

Amazon - your dildo has shipped
Work - Extra feature requests?
Dad - Did you start a business yet?

dear dad,

new web business is really taking off. lots of requests for extra feature-length dildo insertion videos.

making u proud,
MeruFM

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

uh I think the post you quoted says it does?

If you say you can handle multitouch then you'll get multitouch. If you don't, then Windows will do the least terrible thing it can and use the touchpad to emulate a mouse with a mouse wheel so it can spoonfeed you something you can vaguely understand

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/libinput/

multitouch touchpads are hard; these days they just give the OS completely raw multitouch data and the OS is expected to figure everything else out on its own.

like the fact that certain zones on the touchpad are actually mouse buttons.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

If you say you can handle multitouch then you'll get multitouch. If you don't, then Windows will do the least terrible thing it can and use the touchpad to emulate a mouse with a mouse wheel so it can spoonfeed you something you can vaguely understand

osx/ios apis do the same thing. if you ask for multitouch data you receive it, or you can let the os spoonfeed you events that are already interpreted

they have a much longer list of events they can spoonfeed you, and i suspect a lot of controls you dump in your app support the touch stuff intrinsically without you doing any work

before unleashing millions of devices on the world maybe microsoft should have made it at least that easy to 'support' touch

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the pathetic thing about MS is that they continue to act like they can poo poo down peoples' throat because lmao what teh gently caress are u going to do about it, even in market areas where they're having less than no success breaking in.

like they don't even pretend to provide something with better features and performance than the competition before they start making GBS threads down their throat, it's "right, ads in the core OS, day one" even though windows 7 still exists and can be obtained and there is absolutely nothing compelling about windows 8. processor cores designed exclusively for ads and xbox live gold subscription requirements for netflix "because gently caress you, that's why" despite the fact that xbox one is garbage for playing games as opposed to shoving loving ads down your throat and the console is a complete and utter flop because of it.

watching apple and google absolutely wreck their poo poo is delicious. at least a google monopoly would be easier to get rid of further down the road than a microsoft one.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mr Dog posted:

the pathetic thing about MS is that they continue to act like they can poo poo down peoples' throat because lmao what teh gently caress are u going to do about it, even in market areas where they're having less than no success breaking in.

like they don't even pretend to provide something with better features and performance than the competition before they start making GBS threads down their throat, it's "right, ads in the core OS, day one" even though windows 7 still exists and can be obtained and there is absolutely nothing compelling about windows 8. processor cores designed exclusively for ads and xbox live gold subscription requirements for netflix "because gently caress you, that's why" despite the fact that xbox one is garbage for playing games as opposed to shoving loving ads down your throat and the console is a complete and utter flop because of it.

watching apple and google absolutely wreck their poo poo is delicious. at least a google monopoly would be easier to get rid of further down the road than a microsoft one.
Agreed

I mean they'll likely control enterprise still for the long foreseeable future but even there they can't really dictate their will; see the XP->anything transitions and just about all businesses deciding to skip Win8.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Fabricated posted:

I mean they'll likely control enterprise still for the long foreseeable future

i dont see anything replacing ad anytime soon

server2012r2 is kinda nice

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

xbox live gold subscription requirements for netflix "because gently caress you, that's why" despite the fact that xbox one is garbage for playing games as opposed to shoving loving ads down your throat and the console is a complete and utter flop because of it.

i think they dropped this one (after 5 years)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

graph posted:

i dont see anything replacing ad anytime soon

edirectory!

or domino

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Last Chance posted:

i think they dropped this one (after 5 years)

Yup, just a few weeks ago, when devices that would stream without an extra subscription requirements started selling for less than a 1 year Gold membership.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

considering there are still places using domino and netware due to how entrenched it is, AD will be around for a while.

besides, what are they going to switch to, openLDAP? lmao

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i have a good enterprise software anecdote:

my university was one of the first places to develop an electronic class scheduler / transcript database way back in the fuckin 60's, they sold it to other universities and poo poo

but in the 80s it was gettin hella outdated so they formed a committee to decide what to do. the committee waffled for nearly a decade and decided to contract it out. they have flip-flopped on vendors (because each of them did an even shittier job than the last) for decades now over the issue and the school has been eaten alive by software consultants ever since, for thirty years.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Socracheese posted:

i have a good enterprise software anecdote:

my university was one of the first places to develop an electronic class scheduler / transcript database way back in the fuckin 60's, they sold it to other universities and poo poo

but in the 80s it was gettin hella outdated so they formed a committee to decide what to do. the committee waffled for nearly a decade and decided to contract it out. they have flip-flopped on vendors (because each of them did an even shittier job than the last) for decades now over the issue and the school has been eaten alive by software consultants ever since, for thirty years.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

processor cores designed exclusively for ads

somehow let this be real

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mr Dog posted:

processor cores designed exclusively for aids

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

considering there are still places using domino and netware due to how entrenched it is, AD will be around for a while.

RedHat Identity Management/FreeIPA surprisingly does not suck. I'm rolling it out at a nonprofit I volunteer at and it's really just set and forget. i am seriously impressed that someone managed to take Netscape directory server and put it with some other tools to make it not awful.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

netscape ldap, the original non-poo poo implementation, was open sourced a few years ago. as far as ldap goes it's significantly faster than ad and better under high loads.

minivanmegafun posted:

RedHat Identity Management/FreeIPA surprisingly does not suck. I'm rolling it out at a nonprofit I volunteer at and it's really just set and forget. i am seriously impressed that someone managed to take Netscape directory server and put it with some other tools to make it not awful.

rhim / freeipa is open source netscape ldap + standard mit kerberos + a fancy client/server model to distribute keys/principals and configure all your linux clients automatically

if you have anything that's not linux you have to configure the clients manually. oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

netware is just a daemon you run on linux now :q:

• Locked thread