Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Although I notice the combat logs don't differentiate between sparring and combat, is that something that was added by a utility in the last version or?

Because I definitely remember "Urist is sparring" in green text in the combat log, and now it's all just red "urist is fighting."

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7059

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Not sure if anyone's tested it yet but do danger rooms still work or did Toady nip those in the bud while no one was looking?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Moridin920 posted:

Kea people stole my only two iron helms

:negative:

Aren't kea parrots? Maybe you should make your helmets less glittery from above.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Prism posted:

Aren't kea parrots? Maybe you should make your helmets less glittery from above.

As soon as I embarked 6 of them swooped down and stole all my rope and the bronze sword I spent 50 points on to give to my defender dwarf.

They've been a constant menace!

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
This is probably a really idiotic question but I'm new at this so bear with me. I've followed the procedure for setting up my fortress as outlined in the OP, and now I've decided to delve down into the ground to see what i can find. I designated a load of down staircases to a certain level, which my miner built. Now, the very bottom level of this staircase has a "down" staircase, whereas the others all have an "up/down" staircase. I want to dig even further down, but everything I try to designate beyond the bottommost "down" staircase just shows up as an "x" and my miners don't do anything about it. What am I missing here? Do I need to convert my "down" staircase into another "up/down" staircase? Or do I need to do something with the level below the current bottom-most staircase?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, the very last link in your chain is broken. Beneath the last set of up/down spiral stairs there's a 8' drop on top of another staircase leading down. Your miners won't go there because they couldn't get back up anymore.

You can't undo digging, but nobody said anything about construction work. Put some of those rocks to good use and build some proper up/down stairs on top of the quarried down-stairs.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Anyone have any luck finding a version of Therapist that works with the linux version of DF? The CaptDuck zip only has memory layouts for windows.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Check this poo poo out.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
So my earlier fort failed because I had two goblin pikeman, and then my game crashed bringing me back to a save before I had a dining hall even.

"Oh cool, a chance to prepare for military a bit better and undo actions, I think I'll make it so my wave2, if it has at least 5 people in it will turn into a squad right out of the gate"

Sure enough wave 2 comes in and has 9 people, so I get to slap them in as a brand new squad, The Laborious Veils. Their ranking was the order that they came in.

I kept having food problems dispite bringing plump helmets so I was trying to brew my rear end off, and I notice a military person who was supposed to be training run up to the surface to drink from a lake, and he was miserable.
"Ha, What's this dumb dwarf so angry about, let's read his thoughts."
Zulban Koganeshtan *Miserable lately, yelled at someone in charge but only got angrier*
"Haha, that's a funny story that I want to see more of, What else is there?"
*He suffered through his wife's miscarriage recently* "... Oh"
In the wants section, *He wants to raise a family* "... Oh :("
"Who's his wife? Tobul Melbilabras, Military command... Oh"

I tried putting a statue in their room to cheer them up, but the entire military felt the loss of those two, and it ends up with a tantrum starting, and "Tobul Melbilabras was found dead". The log showed Tobul ripping off Zulban's ring finger, and Zulban killing Tobul.

This game makes the best stories, but I wasn't ready for that one.

Edit: I don't know what the lesson is, other than don't make a 10 person military squad in a base of 20 people?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Not sure if anyone's tested it yet but do danger rooms still work or did Toady nip those in the bud while no one was looking?

As of 40.02, danger rooms still work. A 5x5 room with 3 spears in each tile gave me Legendary Everythings in no time at all. Until I get dwarf therapist, I have no shame in using danger rooms because gently caress going through 50+ dwarves to maximize efficiency. It doesn't help that in this version, it seems 80% of all migrants are useless farmers.

Equipping your military is still hosed. My military dwarves were told to put on a full set of metal armour, and they had green checks for their equipment, but they were wearing their skirts and sandals instead of actual metal armour. You HAVE to tell them to replace their clothing with armour or else they think leather sandals are close enough to "Metal Boots" to not matter. Once they're wearing all their proper gear, you can switch them back to Wear Over Clothing and they'll fill in the blanks with their usual clothes.

I think next time I'll look up some more efficient uniforms.

Edit: Oh yeah, there IS a version of dwarf therapist that works with 40.03! I don't know how I missed that. Also just noticed there's a link in the OP. Thanks scamtank!

Elth fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 15, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Man, something is hosed with this RSS feed. Double devlog time!

Toady One posted:

I handled two population errors that caused numbers to shoot into the millions in sites. I also made the game a little smarter about checking for existing region directories in the save directory, so that copying the game over an old copy won't always be so catastrophic (that doesn't mean you should do it now!). I took a look at brewing issues, and that will probably end up with me looping back to an old burrow bug soon.

Toady One posted:

I fixed four more crashes today (though it's more like three since I still need to nail down the root cause of one of them). There was some general instability associated to filling empty positions, invading squads could crash the game sometimes when they erroneously tried to do individual training, dwarves in retired sites being dressed up for adv mode tried to make sense of your old fort's military uniforms (crash), and artifact books/slab placements are still acting up (stopped some associated crashing and added more diagnostics for that).

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Are enemies in Adventurer mode still super wimpy in the latest build? I love playing as a hero so much but it's not quite so heroic when village-slaying giants are coating themselves in tears of horror when I limply arrive in their cave of misery carrying little more than a dented sword and a crazed grin.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Elth posted:

Equipping your military is still hosed. My military dwarves were told to put on a full set of metal armour, and they had green checks for their equipment, but they were wearing their skirts and sandals instead of actual metal armour. You HAVE to tell them to replace their clothing with armour or else they think leather sandals are close enough to "Metal Boots" to not matter.

This has to do with armor itself, I think. The stats of shoes are such that you can't stuff two pairs on, no matter what. Try increasing the LAYER_PERMIT values of all civilian shoes to 50 or so.

What I think I'll do with my game is add shin plating. "Shoes" that have the layer type COVER (same as cloaks) meaning they can fit over anything, are SHAPED to guarantee only one pair can be worn and lesser coverage than normal. Genius!

scamtank fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 16, 2014

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Songbearer posted:

Are enemies in Adventurer mode still super wimpy in the latest build? I love playing as a hero so much but it's not quite so heroic when village-slaying giants are coating themselves in tears of horror when I limply arrive in their cave of misery carrying little more than a dented sword and a crazed grin.

how do you even find the village slaying giants

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Verviticus posted:

how do you even find the village slaying giants

Build Pocket worlds with lots of beasts, tons of sites, very few civs, and super short histories :v:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Forer posted:

So my earlier fort failed because I had two goblin pikeman, and then my game crashed bringing me back to a save before I had a dining hall even.

"Oh cool, a chance to prepare for military a bit better and undo actions, I think I'll make it so my wave2, if it has at least 5 people in it will turn into a squad right out of the gate"

Sure enough wave 2 comes in and has 9 people, so I get to slap them in as a brand new squad, The Laborious Veils. Their ranking was the order that they came in.

I kept having food problems dispite bringing plump helmets so I was trying to brew my rear end off, and I notice a military person who was supposed to be training run up to the surface to drink from a lake, and he was miserable.
Zulban Koganeshtan *Miserable lately, yelled at someone in charge but only got angrier*

I tried putting a statue in their room to cheer them up, but the entire military felt the loss of those two, and it ends up with a tantrum starting, and "Tobul Melbilabras was found dead". The log showed Tobul ripping off Zulban's ring finger, and Zulban killing Tobul.

Edit: I don't know what the lesson is, other than don't make a 10 person military squad in a base of 20 people?

Wow, thats pretty rough :smith:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I think the best, and strangest, part about DF is that the game which makes me laugh my rear end off as I rampage through villages as a metallic murder-giant is the same game which makes me go :smith: at seeing a family man spiral into rage and depression after his wife suffers a miscarriage .

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mister Bates posted:

I think the best, and strangest, part about DF is that the game which makes me laugh my rear end off as I rampage through villages as a metallic murder-giant is the same game which makes me go :smith: at seeing a family man spiral into rage and depression after his wife suffers a miscarriage .

Text should not be this entertaining. Why can't games with amazing 3D graphics make me feel this way? Why can't I establish an emotional connection to my characters in other games?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
For some reason my cook suddenly ran to get a bucket. He was going to go give somebody water... but nobody is hurt! Who could he be giving it to? I follow him around and he ends up giving to bucket of water to my perfectly healthy and happy miner who was hard at work carving out some workshop space. They both have the corresponding happy thoughts from the exchange of non-alcoholic drink. Maybe she was just getting thirsty from all the digging?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pixaal posted:

Text should not be this entertaining. Why can't games with amazing 3D graphics make me feel this way? Why can't I establish an emotional connection to my characters in other games?

I would posit that the format by which DF displays information encourages investment in the story, because you need investment to go searching for the information.

Essentially, DF story is a mystery, a mystery where you are presented with the effects (dwarf doing something exceptional) and then have the option of going through the files to figure out why.

It also presents everything somewhat distantly, so you fill in the details yourself.

Essentially if you like the less is more approach to writing, DF is almost ideal, as it presents a lot of information if you look for it, but always dispassionately.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622

Therapist for 40.03 i believe.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Forer posted:

There will never be a game that delivers a more compelling story than the ASCII clusterfuck that is Dwarf Fortress.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

GenericOverusedName posted:

For some reason my cook suddenly ran to get a bucket. He was going to go give somebody water... but nobody is hurt! Who could he be giving it to? I follow him around and he ends up giving to bucket of water to my perfectly healthy and happy miner who was hard at work carving out some workshop space. They both have the corresponding happy thoughts from the exchange of non-alcoholic drink. Maybe she was just getting thirsty from all the digging?

Urist Cookerman stepped back from his work, the simmering plump helmet and camel brain stew would still require several hours to finish but everything would turn out perfect. However the most important step was still to be taken. He had rehearsed the next step in his head but as he picked up a nearby bucket he still felt his heart speed up in nervous anticipation.

After a brief cleaning, he filled the bucket with water and started off to the new cavernworks. He was chastising himself the whole way, "Yer not a tree-loving elf, by Armok."

The rhythmic 'ping, ping, ping' of a pick striking stone grew louder with each step, and with each ringing sound all his preparations and plans were driven further from his mind.

Urista Minerwoman paused from her work for a moment, wiping the sweat from her brow. The walls weren't smooth but soon enough they'd be able to put in a new workshop here. She was about to start swinging her pick against the stone once more to finish when she noticed another member of their party standing in the tunnel behind her.

"Aye?" she asked, and for a second there was silence. Then Urist was no longer stunned.

"Water," he stated somewhat gruffly, thrusting the bucket out to the mineress of his dreams.

"Ah, thanks for that," she said, tipping back the bucket and gulping down the cool refreshment, passing back the bucket.

As Urista turned back to her work, Urist spoke again, "I'm cooking Plump Helmet and Camel Brain soup, the craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. Would you like to eat dinner with me tonight?"

She paused, gave him a nod and a smile before digging her pick into the stone again. Urist picked up the bucket and strutted back to the kitchen, both happy about the non-alcoholic drink they had shared

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I would posit that the format by which DF displays information encourages investment in the story, because you need investment to go searching for the information.

Essentially, DF story is a mystery, a mystery where you are presented with the effects (dwarf doing something exceptional) and then have the option of going through the files to figure out why.

It also presents everything somewhat distantly, so you fill in the details yourself.

Essentially if you like the less is more approach to writing, DF is almost ideal, as it presents a lot of information if you look for it, but always dispassionately.

Exactly. The characters in a game of DF can feel much more yours than a random AAA blockbuster's because DF actually leaves room for your own imagination, and despite the insane amounts of detail that's technically there, you're still the end user who puts everything together, and, in the end, you're the one who sees the creatures and their adventures as more than just an RNG doing its thing. In a way, you're the co-writer and editor of DF. Add to that the interactivity and the feeling that you're making things happen - in your very own personal, completely unique world, no less! - and I think it's pretty clear why you'd get attached to a bunch of coloured letters flitting about on a screen.

DF is less a game and more a fantasy world and history generator where you're plopped into to make sense of and give meaning to the decidedly un-meaningful random mess the game happens to generate. Without the player all those literally infinite amounts of little virtual creatures and their successes or tragedies, victories or losses, horrible or heroic deeds and impossible feats or terrible failures mean nothing.

It's p. neat.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Elth posted:

As of 40.02, danger rooms still work. A 5x5 room with 3 spears in each tile gave me Legendary Everythings in no time at all. Until I get dwarf therapist, I have no shame in using danger rooms because gently caress going through 50+ dwarves to maximize efficiency. It doesn't help that in this version, it seems 80% of all migrants are useless farmers.

Equipping your military is still hosed. My military dwarves were told to put on a full set of metal armour, and they had green checks for their equipment, but they were wearing their skirts and sandals instead of actual metal armour. You HAVE to tell them to replace their clothing with armour or else they think leather sandals are close enough to "Metal Boots" to not matter. Once they're wearing all their proper gear, you can switch them back to Wear Over Clothing and they'll fill in the blanks with their usual clothes.

I think next time I'll look up some more efficient uniforms.

Edit: Oh yeah, there IS a version of dwarf therapist that works with 40.03! I don't know how I missed that. Also just noticed there's a link in the OP. Thanks scamtank!

So the military system is still pretty screwed.. well there goes my 3 years of waiting. Guess I'll wait another 2. Was playing this heavily back in 2011 but was getting really tired of zig/zag bridges and archer firing lanes with draw bridges to train my guys.

I want to actually FIGHT THE INVADERS with good commands.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It always puts me in mind of when I read At the Mountains of Madness for the first time, I'd never read anything that really hooked me so much from the start, and the whole book was a slow, methodical exploration of why the main character was acting the way he was. There was a lot of information given, but you have to make a lot of the connections yourself, and the pace is so slow that you will often be trying to figure it out yourself even for the things you're told later in the book.

That style really works for me and is probably why Lovecraft is my favorite author, DF and good DF LPs make a lot of use of that and it's very appealing to, I would assume, quite a lot of people who play it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Exactly. The characters in a game of DF can feel much more yours than a random AAA blockbuster's because DF actually leaves room for your own imagination, and despite the insane amounts of detail that's technically there, you're still the end user who puts everything together, and, in the end, you're the one who sees the creatures and their adventures as more than just an RNG doing its thing. In a way, you're the co-writer and editor of DF. Add to that the interactivity and the feeling that you're making things happen - in your very own personal, completely unique world, no less! - and I think it's pretty clear why you'd get attached to a bunch of coloured letters flitting about on a screen.

I think part of it is that the characters in a DF game are unique to your particular worldgen. Everyone gets to have the same experience with the characters in a triple-A title, but only you get to discover the unique dwarfs in your own little pocket world. When you poke around in the details and discover things, you are the first person to ever discover those particular things.

Sure, someone else may find something similar, but nobody else has your exact experience.

And when those little randomly generated dwarves die, they're dead forever (unless you savescum) and will never live again, even in someone else's install.

Makes it all a bit more compelling and magical.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I think part of it is that the characters in a DF game are unique to your particular worldgen. Everyone gets to have the same experience with the characters in a triple-A title, but only you get to discover the unique dwarfs in your own little pocket world. When you poke around in the details and discover things, you are the first person to ever discover those particular things.

Sure, someone else may find something similar, but nobody else has your exact experience.

And when those little randomly generated dwarves die, they're dead forever (unless you savescum) and will never live again, even in someone else's install.

Makes it all a bit more compelling and magical.

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Dwarves carving hallways into lava and hell. I watched strange moods simmer in the dark near the Jeweler Workshop for want of strange gems. Haulers walking endless to transport a barrel of seeds, one by one. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to reclaim.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Do forgotten beasts dream of electric crundles?

or something like that

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
We Can Engrave It For You Wholesale

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Also quick question I haven't really been able to find an answer to: I irrigate my cavern/fort so that it has mud on the floor, and I can put down a farm. Do I have to redo this process after each harvest? I've got several large farm plots, but no one is growing anything and I've managed to screw myself construction wise on re-irrigating if that is necessary.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dwarf Fortress can also pretty much be a slasher film. I decided to gently caress around with a bronze colossus adventurer, and had probably the best kill you can get in the game. I walked up to the very top of a goblin tower, and grabbed the first goblin I saw by the head, and pinched him until he was unconscious. Then I kicked him in the upper body so hard his head came off in my hand and his body went flying right into another goblin. The first body exploded into gore, and the second guy was knocked straight off the top of the tower. Everyone else had already run down the ramp, so I took the quick way down by jumping. Just before I hit the ground I learned that the goblin I had knocked off had survived by landing on someone else, breaking all four of their legs in the process. I landed directly on top of them, splattering them both across about 4 screens worth of grassland. There was another goblin like 3 tiles away from me who just said something like "Death everywhere... I don't care." So I threw the goblin head at him and knocked him out cold, then wandered away.

*EDIT*
Adventurer question: how do I sprint? The movement options menu only has an option for swimming. Are bronze collosuses just unable to sprint?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

ProfessorCurly posted:

Also quick question I haven't really been able to find an answer to: I irrigate my cavern/fort so that it has mud on the floor, and I can put down a farm. Do I have to redo this process after each harvest? I've got several large farm plots, but no one is growing anything and I've managed to screw myself construction wise on re-irrigating if that is necessary.

What are you growing? The latest version has a bug where some plants don't generate seeds when processed. AFAIK, once there's mud in a tile, that mud stays there.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Dwarf Fortress can also pretty much be a slasher film. I decided to gently caress around with a bronze colossus adventurer, and had probably the best kill you can get in the game. I walked up to the very top of a goblin tower, and grabbed the first goblin I saw by the head, and pinched him until he was unconscious. Then I kicked him in the upper body so hard his head came off in my hand and his body went flying right into another goblin. The first body exploded into gore, and the second guy was knocked straight off the top of the tower. Everyone else had already run down the ramp, so I took the quick way down by jumping. Just before I hit the ground I learned that the goblin I had knocked off had survived by landing on someone else, breaking all four of their legs in the process. I landed directly on top of them, splattering them both across about 4 screens worth of grassland. There was another goblin like 3 tiles away from me who just said something like "Death everywhere... I don't care." So I threw the goblin head at him and knocked him out cold, then wandered away.

*EDIT*
Adventurer question: how do I sprint? The movement options menu only has an option for swimming. Are bronze collosuses just unable to sprint?

S, tells you stealth stats too

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Adventure Mode does not seem to appreciate my attempts to cross a nearby stretch of ocean.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Also in true DF shitnerd fashion some of those posters are arguing that homophobia needs to be included and anyone who is against that is told that things such as murder and cannibalism exist so why do they care. Hooray for shut-ins having an opinion and missing the point. :buddy:

Personally, while it's kinda cool in a flavor way, I'd rather my medieval colony simulator not have homo dwarves at all, if only because it'll probably mean slightly less dwarf population. Then again born citizens suck rear end and immigrants are where the non-rock hauler dwarves come from so who cares.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

A bucket of muddy pond water, how romantic!

Guess I have to keep an eye on their relationship tab to see if this goes anywhere. They are just 'Friend' right now but both of them are single...

Dwarf Matchmaking Simulator 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

What sort of build do you guys usually use for your starting caravan? I like to start like so:

1) Miner 1: 5 points Miner, 4 points Engraver, 1 point Bookkeeper
2) Miner 2: 5 points Miner, 3 points Gem Cutter, 2 points Gem Setter
3) Farmer: 5 points Grower, 3 points Cook, 2 points Brewer
4) Woodcutter: 5 points Wood Cutter, 4 points Carpenter, 1 point Woodworker
5) Mason: 5 points Mason, 2 points Building Designer, 3 points Stone Crafter
6) Metalsmith: 3 Metalsmith, 3 Weaponsmith, 3 Armorsmith, 1 Furnace Operator
7) Trader/Doctor: 2 Persuader, 2 Negotiator, 4 Appraiser, 1 Wound Dresser, 1 Diagnostician

I usually keep the starting inventory, except I drop my bucket, crutch, rope, axe, and wheelbarrow count down to 1. Additionally, I like to buy 1 cat to keep vermin out and 2 dogs to start breeding, and eventually train war dogs.

Anything you guys like to do differently?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Homosexual dwarves are nice, though, they make it feel like the bootheel of oppressive heteronormative values has lightened a fraction of a gram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Skills aren't worth investing in. Bring a huge pile of goods, and just let your dorfs learn by trial and error and error and error and error. .