Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The show got pretty loving bad in the end.

It had its problems. Season 6 is a dour slog of a deconstruction of everything that made the prior seasons fun, and Season 7 is a pit of misused potential (no pun intended), but I enjoyed both a hell of a lot more than most shows I've watched in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well, on a personal level, I enjoyed the movie as a very goofy 90s comedy-horror and could not stand to watch the final season of the show.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

May I ask why when it comes to Season 7 of Buffy?

I definitely get that it's one of the weaker seasons of the show but there's still a lot I liked. The First was a very cost-effective villain that was still somehow threatening, unlike Glory who bored me, and while they were on the whole badly used I did like the idea of the potentials. I really liked how Sunnydale became more and more apocalyptic as the season went on until the heroes were basically the only people left in town. I really liked Principal Wood and the new Sunnydale High, especially when he traps Spike in a cage filled with crosses. I even liked Caleb a lot as an enforcer. I even liked Willow getting over Tara with an aggressive girl who was nothing like Tara. The only things I really couldn't stand were Faith (never liked her) and Andrew (annoying Whedon traits to the max!).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The tone, plot and characters were offputting and bad. It was no longer fun to watch and had very little in common with the sesaons I enjoyed. Only Brand Loyalty could have kept me invested, and it wasn't enough.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I can see where you're coming from. I really can.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Well, on a personal level, I enjoyed the movie as a very goofy 90s comedy-horror and could not stand to watch the final season of the show.
The movie is surprisingly easy-breezy, and game actors like Donald Sutherland and PeeWee certainly help. Also, I love the ending with that one guy blaming Young Republicans on the carnage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Buffy should've ended at season 5.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Lurdiak posted:

The show got pretty loving bad in the end.

Except for OMWF and the 'Evil Willow' arc the show could have ended at S5 (with the Glory stuff) and I feel it would have been better.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Maybe it's just because I watched the series for the first time very recently but I think you guys are being unfair to the later seasons. There are plenty of good episodes and good moments throughout both, even if neither is as fun to watch as the earlier stuff.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Buffy should've ended at season 5.
S6 still has a lot of great material I would prefer not to lose: OMWF, Tabula Rosa, Hells Bells, Normal Again, the ep with the nerds of doom testing Buffy, and I am a total sucker for the Xander talkdown of Willow.

WarLocke posted:

other than the Adam cyborg thing being dumb as hell, that was S6 right?
S4.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 11, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

mind the walrus posted:

Maybe it's just because I watched the series for the first time very recently but I think you guys are being unfair to the later seasons. There are plenty of good episodes and good moments throughout both, even if neither is as fun to watch as the earlier stuff.

I haven't watched S6-7 in a few years, so I don't feel like I can comment on them (other than the Adam cyborg thing being dumb as hell, that was S6 right?)

I just feel like the end of S5 is a great place to end the show. Buffy saves the world but dies doing it - and finally gets a release from having to be the Slayer.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Bleeding Cool has a write up (with screencaps) of Gotham's pilot

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07...medium=facebook

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Bleeding Cool has a write up (with screencaps) of Gotham's pilot

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07...medium=facebook

[quote]
And Bullock and Gordon aren’t the only cops in town. We have Renee Montoya and Crispus Allen from Major Crimes[/spoiler]

Holy poo poo, this really was Gotham Central originally wasn't it? To be fair, the review makes it sound like the prequel to it, and I am actually excited for it again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Montoya and Allen parts got beefed up to series regulars after the pilot.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I just feel like the end of S5 is a great place to end the show. Buffy saves the world but dies doing it - and finally gets a release from having to be the Slayer.

I'll actually go and be contrary here not because I think you're wrong but because this is a good place to air out the grievances I have with S5. I love the concept of S5's Big Bad, but in actuality Glory comes across as little more a Super-Slayer with mind-scramble powers due to budget (I know she's a god in a human body and can't access her powers, it's still a cop-out). The whole minions and "Knights of Order" or whatever threads feel like they're from an entirely different show and really don't gel with the Scooby gang at all. I like the idea that Buffy saves the world and sacrifices herself and it's all very wonderfully Christ-like and all that, but I really didn't dig the execution. That's not to say I think S5 is bad, I just think it's a lot more muddy than its reputation suggests.

Meanwhile S7, for all its flaws, actually sees Buffy get the happiest ending possible for her. After S3 one of the big question for Buffy became "what the hell does a Slayer who isn't academic actually do to make ends meet in a capitalist society?", and after S5 the answer was a resounding and deeply depressing "she works her loving rear end off and barely gets by." S7 saw her finally start to see dividends pay for her efforts with her whole counselling gig at Sunnydale High, and by season's end saw her finally rewarded by truly becoming the Slayer of all Slayers. But instead of just sacrificing her life to be free she earns her reward by beating a primordial evil, proving herself a true Leader of armies, and shutting down the Hellmouth over Sunnydale once and for all. The last lines and shots of the show drive home that, while she may still be stuck with her responsibilities, she's transcended their barriers in every way possible and in doing so earned the right to travel wherever she wants and share her responsibility with every potential Slayer under the sun. It might not be as classic an ending, and has its faults, but it's definitely the ending she had earned instead of a generic "and then she died and went to Heaven."

muscles like this? posted:

The Montoya and Allen parts got beefed up to series regulars after the pilot.

To be fair if they didn't include these characters someone at the WB was really really not doing their homework. I mean who the gently caress were they hoping to use instead? A bunch of Liv Dymore's like Constantine who come in from out of town and spend every episode weirded out by criminals with gimmicks?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Maybe they coulda shown they did more research and had Probson, Azeveda, Procjnow etc show up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

The movie is surprisingly easy-breezy, and game actors like Donald Sutherland and PeeWee certainly help. Also, I love the ending with that one guy blaming Young Republicans on the carnage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTESG_wKhwk

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NBC has cast Angélica Celaya as the previously announced Zed for Constantine. She's kind of a nobody, previously doing a couple of guest spots on American TV and telenovelas else.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
TV Guide had a tiny thing about AoS:

TV Guide posted:

Anything on the new season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? — Denise
Let's play a game. I'll give you a description and you guess which Marvel character this newcomer might be. I hear they're casting for a ruggedly handsome, physically fit actor to play a character who can escape any situation, is a bit of a wild card and, though he's mostly interested in personal gain, always ends up doing the right thing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Er, it's obviously not Gambit, but that sounds like Gambit. I'm guessing it's just a new character?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SaintFu posted:

TV Guide had a tiny thing about AoS:
I don't know Taskmaster? :downs:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Er, it's obviously not Gambit, but that sounds like Gambit. I'm guessing it's just a new character?

It's Han Solo and about 60 comic book characters based off that exact archetype for the past 40 years.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My eyes won't stop rolling at that blurb and I don't know why.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

My eyes won't stop rolling at that blurb and I don't know why.

It's basically a cold reading, is why. That description is SO vague that it may as well be "there will be a guest star this season who ISN'T a villain!".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're obviously heavily hinting Gambit but that seems unlikely to happen.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Aphrodite posted:

They're obviously heavily hinting Gambit but that seems unlikely to happen.

They cannot use Gambit. They cannot use any X-men. It is not unlikely, it is currently impossible.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

ToastyPotato posted:

They cannot use Gambit. They cannot use any X-men. It is not unlikely, it is currently impossible.

I thought Marvel could do whatever they wanted on TV, just that they couldn't use any of those characters in a film?

Scott Free is DC, right?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Klungar posted:

I thought Marvel could do whatever they wanted on TV, just that they couldn't use any of those characters in a film?

Only for animation

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They could put Gambit in AoS as a cartoon element like Roger Rabbit or DJ Scat Cat

greatn fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 16, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, they have the TV rights. They just need Fox's permission to use them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd love to see how a shambling turd of a show like AoS would attempt to explain Gambit as something other than a mutant. Even though the solution is fairly simple (he's an Inhuman, they dance around the mutant issue by wondering how the hell someone could have spontaneous powers, etc.) I know they'd still find a way to gently caress it up.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Aphrodite posted:

No, they have the TV rights. They just need Fox's permission to use them.

Accept that they have repeatedly stated that AoS is part of their cinematic universe, adding characters that they could never use in a movie would be pretty silly, at least when the character is fairly popular and is going to appear in a very big movie sequel in a couple of years. And if they need Fox's permission, then they don't actually have the rights. Owning the rights means they wouldn't need permission.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Accept that they have repeatedly stated that AoS is part of their cinematic universe, adding characters that they could never use in a movie would be pretty silly, at least when the character is fairly popular and is going to appear in a very big movie sequel in a couple of years. And if they need Fox's permission, then they don't actually have the rights. Owning the rights means they wouldn't need permission.

No, Marvel did not license the TV rights to Fox. Therefore they still own them.

However obviously this was not lost on Fox. They requested (and got) a catch that Marvel cannot create a competing live action property without their permission. Marvel didn't think it applied to TV which led to the whole Mutant X thing.

If Marvel didn't have the TV rights, Fox could make a live action TV show. They can't though, because Marvel has them even if they're effectively useless.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't even think it sounds particularly like Gambit other than the fact that you could make a pun on the "wild card" thing. Gambit isn't some masterful escape artist, nor is he all that big on the whole "personal gain" thing. He's more of a thrillseeker and daredevil (...heh) instead of a mercenary.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
It's Jim Steranko, you guys. There wouldn't even be an Agents of SHIELD show if not for his contributions, and he was an escape artist and a roguish type.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's a lot of characters I could imagine it being but none of them are very exciting or well-known. Certainly not something worth teasing fans over.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

There's a lot of characters I could imagine it being but none of them are very exciting or well-known. Certainly not something worth teasing fans over.

Have you seen how deep into the reject bin Marvel has to go to find characters they're comfortable letting AoS use? It's definitely something not very exciting or well-known.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It's Jim Steranko, you guys. There wouldn't even be an Agents of SHIELD show if not for his contributions, and he was an escape artist and a roguish type.

Would unironically tune in for this.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Clay Quartermain?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I want this to be true and have him enter every scene on the Nick Fury rocket cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dacap posted:

I want this to be true and have him enter every scene on the Nick Fury rocket cycle

His introduction could be punching an evil businessman named Robert Kane in the face.