Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Javid posted:

Population density.jpg

This is part of an animated map showing a reduction in air pollution from 2005 to 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love to see that if it included Canada. I'm sure our tar-sands are more than making up for your losses.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
On that note I was wondering whether the new fracking operations in North Dakota and Montana were giving off new emissions.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love to see that if it included Canada. I'm sure our tar-sands are more than making up for your losses.

They probably won't show up because most of the steam generation for the in situ processes comes from natural gas, which would have very low nitrogen dioxide emissions. As far as surface mining goes, I don't know but it is also unlikely because I doubt the extraction process (both mining and processing) is on the level of power plants, which are the biggest constituent of the map.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

On that note I was wondering whether the new fracking operations in North Dakota and Montana were giving off new emissions.

I also doubt they would show up because frac crews aren't single site emitters and move around a lot. There may be dozens of crews frackign on a single day, but they are spread out over a large area and idle almost half the time.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Pakled posted:

This is part of an animated map showing a reduction in air pollution from 2005 to 2011.

In units of "High" to "Low".

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It's not a great map, but it's from a fairly reputable source

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It looks like we're making significant improvement, at least.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It would be nicer if it was on the graph itself but it son the page it comes from. The range is 1 to 5 x 10^15 molecules/cm^2.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Why'd it get worse again? Is there a more recent one?

someone posted this in a Civ thread and it seems appropriate here: submerged land for various amounts of sea level rise.

a note from the bottom that is important and I bet lots of people will skip:

quote:

Some inland depressions, such as the Caspian Sea, show inundation on the map but would not be flooded. This is because the mapping algorithm is based upon elevation and can not distinguish areas that are separated from the oceans by a ridge or other high area. Be sure that you trace a connection with the ocean before assuming the area would be flooded.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Koramei posted:

Why'd it get worse again? Is there a more recent one?

someone posted this in a Civ thread and it seems appropriate here: submerged land for various amounts of sea level rise.

a note from the bottom that is important and I bet lots of people will skip:

Anyone know why there is no elevation data for the Narragansett Bay area? I remember when I was living in Providence 5 years ago, trying to make elevation charts of bike routes, only to run into the same problem.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Anyone know why there is no elevation data for the Narragansett Bay area? I remember when I was living in Providence 5 years ago, trying to make elevation charts of bike routes, only to run into the same problem.

I'm pretty sure that whole area is ˜60m above the rest of New England.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Mister Adequate posted:

This isn't because of maps, it's because we all learn countries from Paradox games, and no Paradox games have modern enough settings for decolonization to have taken place. :eng101:

Someone clearly hasn't played the leaked copy of East vs West.

(Don't play the leaked copy of East vs West).

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

What's on the other side of the ocean?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

At only 7m of sea level rise my apartment will be submerged but my office won't be so I'll have to live at work :eng99:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I very shamefully memorized my West African countries when I was teaching the map to Nigerian children in Nigeria.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Craptacular posted:

Should be measured perpendicular to the shore.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Craptacular posted:

It doesn't seem to count Madeira, The Canaries, or Cape Verde as the other side of the ocean.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Craptacular posted:

I like how Chile and Argentina are their own buddies around Tierra del Fuego, with Chile even owning a couple of degrees all by itself.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aliquid posted:

I very shamefully memorized my West African countries when I was teaching the map to Nigerian children in Nigeria.

Uggh that's hell of shameful.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

This was just posted in Paradox thread :fap:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I wanted to make a tribute to map projections that I like.

I welcome any critiques. I'm not an expert, after all.

I had some help from this.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

Slow it down or make it into one big long image maybe? Right when I'm done reading and look up at the map it changes :(

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

I like that Eckert III, doesn't seem too popular, not even really mentioned on Wikipedia even. Anyone know much about it that wants to write a blurb?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Craptacular posted:

You keep going east from Atlanta, you get to Baghdad. Just another pointless mapfact that honestly has surprised people I've met.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Craptacular posted:

Go east from the southernmost part of Canada and you reach Spain.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

fermun posted:

It doesn't seem to count Madeira, The Canaries, or Cape Verde as the other side of the ocean.

Also the Falklands.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Craptacular posted:

Also the Falklands.

Las Malvinas son Argentinas etc.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The fuckers forgot about Sao Tome and Principe :argh:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Those places aren't "other sidey" enough.

Except Sao Tome I guess but then people would have to look up a place.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

cheerfullydrab posted:

You keep going east from Atlanta, you get to Baghdad. Just another pointless mapfact that honestly has surprised people I've met.

The nearest US State to Africa is Maine.
Buenos Aires is closer to New York than it is to Los Angeles.
The Atlantic entrance to the Panama Canal is further west than the Pacific entrance.
etc etc.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
That map doesn't really live up to its title, since it doesn't actually include the
Ukrainian Army. But well, live it up to ITAR-TASS to mention the National Guard
as many times as possible.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

fermun posted:

I like that Eckert III, doesn't seem too popular, not even really mentioned on Wikipedia even. Anyone know much about it that wants to write a blurb?
Yeah I liked precisely because it seems like it's the "average" of two other world map projections that I like. I'm not sure if that was Max Eckert's intention with it. It's the third of the six map projections he presented.

Eckert III and IV superficially look a little bit like the Ortelius Oval projection, but I personally don't like how the longitude lines in the middle meet up at one specific point in the pole line. It looks like two map projections stitched together.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 16, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Echo Chamber posted:

Needs more Kavrayskiy VII.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Nothing against maps per se, but I had hoped that the "Hobo-Dyer" would be something far more exciting.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
There is a pretty cool map of "unconventional" fracking since 2000 http://info.drillinginfo.com/unconventional-play-development-in-one-map/.

I have huge reservations about this map because it doesn't include all fracs and counts things as unconventional (in this case I believe they intended to only show multiply fractured horizontal wells) that really aren't. There also really isn't any difference between fracking a vertical well compared to a horizontal one and I know that when West Texas lights up in 2004 (due to their data limitations) only a handful of wells were being drilled horizontally.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Map projection by David Dees? :tinfoil:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Disco Infiva posted:

I spent a good hour or two looking at this.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Disco Infiva posted:

I like how the map slowly fills in, and then BAM, 1250, Mongols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
drat this has become the imperialist colonialist thread.